Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,224 | Reviews: 678
3.01/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Pours a pale yellow with a look like lemonade. Honestly, to me, the color is horrendous.

S- Smells like lemons, but like candy lemons--Lemon Heads or some other lemon candy. Smells good, but not like a beer.

T- Starts out nice, like a good lemonade, but then bites in with a wheat malt kick. Not a fan of this one... to paraphrase one of my favorite reviews: it tastes like a lemonade with a yeast infection. I'm not 100% sure if I would go for a Natural Light over this, but I guess I'd choose this.

M- Super light, refreshing.

D- Personally, I think it's good for what it is, lemonade beer.

2.73/5  rDev -13.6%

I haven't even taken the time to make myself a shandy, so I don't have an example to compare this against in the sense of knowing what I should be looking for. I may have to look into giving that a try, just to have a better understanding of it.

A: Hazy, rich blonde. A decent puff of head tops it, retains alright, and leaves some thin and stringy drapes of lace behind.

S: A strong lemony citrus, but sweetened lemon - not like zest or the like. There's a quality to it very much like a powdered, lemon flavoured iced tea... almost artificial smelling, really.

T: Very similar to the aroma - a strong citrus, either like a powdered iced tea or lemonade. There's a bit of a graininess to it, but if it weren't for that, I would likely not believe this to be a beer - or even a malt beverage, for that matter.

M + D: Sharp carbonation, giving it some nice character. Prickly, but it's rather 'fine' so it comes across as being a bit smoother. Light on the alcohol makes for easy drinking, but I couldn't really see it as being any sort of session offering - it's just a bit too sweet in that sense, and is like quaffing back a lot of lemonade.

3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: cloudy, no head, bright yellow, medium carbonation

Smell:very lemony, wheat, and pepper

Taste: very lemony, wheat, and pepper

Mouthfeel: light, sweet, very carbonated

Drinkability:My own personal rank for this beer is higher--probably a B, but I do not think it meets the style guidelines well. I think this is great for a shandy, but not as a wheat ale. I would have several of these as a summer refresher, but maybe not the first thing I look for if I want a beer. The lemon is very strong.

2.46/5  rDev -22.2%

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is of powdered County Time Lemonade before it is mixed with water. There is absolutely no beeriness to the aroma. The taste isn't quite so processed lemonade like, but there still is nothing beer about it. The mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this "beer' simply isn't for me. The only flavored beer I've tried that I think is fair to compare it to is Bud Light Lime, and if forced to drink one I would choose the Bud Light Lime.

3.42/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Bright yellow with a small white head.

S: Lots of fresh lemon going on here with a decent amount of sweetness underneath.

T: Lots of lemon going on here. Slightly sweet. Some pale malt in the background, but a lot of lemon; and, it's actually fairly refreshing.

M: Medium body with a good amount of tartness and dryness from the lemon.

D: Fairly drinkable on very warm days out in the sun. Quite sweet and probably hard to have more than one or two of, but not a bad offering.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a cloudy straw color with thick fluffy head. Smells like lemons with a little bit of wheat beer mixed in. Tastes pretty much like it smells, lemonade all the way through until the end where you can detect a wheat beer and citrus bitterness. A lemon overload. Mouthfeel is ok. I do like lemons, so it is definitely drinkable, but on a summer day I would prefer a hefe or something slightly less acidic and citrus tasting.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks close to what I expected from a lemonade-like beer: it's light and yellow, but I must say cloudier than I expected. Good carbonation made for a nice fizzy head on the pour, and a thin layer of foam remained even after settling. The cloudiness has me a little unsure of things, but it still looks refreshing.

Oddly, I smell more lemon rind than I do lemon juice. I don't know why that is or if there's really a brewmaster's explanation for that, but I figure you could fairly easily use old (even used) lemons (i.e. peels) to throw in the wort to get this effect. I'm bordering on the frontier of my actual beer knowledge, but I consider this smell appealing like a lemon...peel.

My initial reaction is to the carbonated, citric acid aspect of the taste. It tastes fizzy. And I do think the fizziness is two-fold: one part contents under pressure, and one part lemony zing. It's not like summer shandy is some sort of manly beer, so I'll say it: I can't help but wonder what kind of calorie intake I'm putting back here. I'm wondering how much sugar is in this lemony beer. How much sugar is in lemons? Though I'm far from the organic, chemical-dodging purist that's trendy these days, I might also detect an artifical sweetener like sorbitol or something. I say it's better-than-average simply because it's neat.

The mouthfeel is similar to every other aspect of the beverage in that it's nowhere near overwhelmingly good (or bad), but a lemony different. Throughout this review, I keep debating which side of average I should rate things. Since I don't like biting into lemons (and it's bad for your teeth), I'll side on the down side here.

Drinkability is probably subpar for a summer (sessionable) beer. It's light in terms of stomach substance but heavy on tongue, cheek, and overall mouth sensations. Though interesting and worthy of another sip, I'd pass on two consecutive just about every time.

2.52/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a very hazy yellow, forming a 1 inch white head. Very light spots of lace cling to the glass.

S - Strong aroma of alcoholic lemonade. Nothing else is detectible.

T - Just like the bottle says, this tastes like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. Not necessarily bad. The lemonade flavoring dominates the taste, but a hint of the wheat comes out in the finish.

M - Light bodied. The flavor stays on the palate long after the swallow.

D - Not sure I could say this is very drinkable. I suppose I could see having one of these on a hot afternoon, but definitely not something I would ever order at a bar.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a hazy lemon gold with a bit of carbonation that's all but gone right away. Its an attractive pour but its also different from what beer normally looks like in my opinion.

Smells pretty good if sweet is your thing. Good lemon sweetness. The beer malts are subtle in the background.

The taste is the letdown for me. The lemon is there, but strangely not very citrusy. It tastes a lot more like beer than it smells; good grains come through. A classic wheat taste. However, it tastes very bland to me. Nothing wrong with it, just wish there was more.

The mouthfeel is fine. Not too sugary or thick which is good considering you might expect that with a lemonade beer.

Overall, I think this beer has potential to be a great summer session or cookout beer, but you'll have to find the right foods to bring out the taste or make sure you aren't eating anything at all. Otherwise, it starts to feel like drinking beer with water in it instead of lemonade.

Kind of a tough one to give a fair review. . . it is beer and lemonade, after all. Oh well, here goes. . .

Poured into a standard pint.

A: Bright but palish yellow. Medium carbonation pours into a half finger, bubbly, white head. Settles fairly quickly leaving some bubbles on the surface of your quaff. Just a touch of beer ring lacing quickly retreats into the beverage as you drink.

S: A light touch of malt, mostly sugary sweet lemons.

T: Subtle malt, subdued lemon flavor. Don't be alarmed (or do, according to your perspective) it's not as sweet as it smells.

F: Has a watery feel. It is light, and has a refreshing quality for that hot summer day. . . I guess. The lemonade aftertaste sticks with you for awhile.

D: Decent. It is light, and you could really power them down.

Atmosphere is okay. . . I mean, it's beer and lemonade, so what do you expect. Looks and smells like lemonade. Flavor is okay as long as you understand it is something of a novelty item. If it's beer you want, these are not the droids you're looking for. What it is, is a light and refreshing summer drink. Unfortunately, it also kinda' reminds me of backwash. Anyway, it's not bad. . . again, as long as you know what you're getting into. Decent quaff.

Remember the prefacing statement (if not, see above). When all else fails, a cop-out. . . 3's all around!

3.46/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A six pack of this got left to me...free beer!

A very light yellow body that is cloudy but bright at the same time. A huge, at least three fingers, of head appears quickly. Not a lot of retention, but a couple thick bands of lacing are left behind.

Summer Shandy has an odd and slightly off-putting aroma. There is a very sugary, lemonade aroma, but there is also a slightly musty aroma. A little bit like old beer that has been sitting out over night.

Surprisingly, this thing doesn't taste that bad. A little strange, but it is exactly what the label bills it as. It tastes like a generic, weak, American Pale Wheat Ale that is mixed with lemonade. Probably about half and half. The aftertaste brings back just a little bit of the mustiness in the aroma, but it is not too strong or unpleasant. Although this isn't exactly fantastic, it's not too bad either.

Mouthfeel is medium in both body and carbonation.

This thing is really drinkable. It definitely shines in this part of the rating. Light, not bad tasting, and pretty refreshing. I could down these pretty quickly. A decent summer brew for a hot day.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

Pour lemonade into a beer. Gross, right? Frankly, Leinenkugel's version is pretty good. A mix of lemonade and beer, one cannot explain it in any more detail.

This seasonal is a good treat for a hot afternoon after of mowing the lawn. This beer is a bit like Gatorade: the more hot and thirsty you are the better it tastes. This beer is a seasonal because one is not usually overheating in the winter.

3.87/5  rDev +22.5%

The smell of lemon does not overwhelm the maltiness of the beer. It pours a bright sunshine yellow which foreshadows the presence of lemon. The tase is a pleasant balance of lemon and malt that surprised me. I was sure this would be some cheap "hard lemonade" concoction, but it wasn't. It was balanced and fun to drink.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a cloudy, bright yellow with a very lager like white head. Aroma is heavy on the lemonade and a bit grassy. Very light mouthfeel. Well-balanced, but thin and fairly bland. Wheat is present in the aftertaste. The finish is acidic. A little too much lemonade and not enough beer to back it up.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Better than I was expecting, never having had shandy before. I appreciate the fact that it does taste like "beer with lemonade," and not some sort of weird lemon-infused sports drink. The tastes blend pretty darn well, and it makes for a refreshing drink. I'm not sure if drinking a lot of it in a sitting would sit really well with me, (I get a sense that the lemon vs. beer might give me a stomach ache down the line) but it would be a good lawnmower beer.

On a side-note, I wonder if the beer the lemonade is blended with is Leinenkugel's Original or something different?

2.92/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured a bottle fo this into a shaker glass.

A: Pours a hazy, straw-yellow body with a white head with some retention and minimal lacing.

S: A sweet, lemon smell with some metallic notes that were very subtle. Seemed a little bit like lemonade.

T: A watered-down, lemon drink taste with hints of lemon zest in the aftertaste. Overall, the beer was not that good tasting as the sweet lemon taste got to me later.

M: A pretty light a crisp mouthfeel that was refreshing and good for the style.

D: A pretty good mouthfeel for the style, but the taste could use a little work. The sweet lemons got to me later on and the matliness of the beer was way overpowered by the lemon taste.

1.61/5  rDev -49.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance. Cloudy lemonade like appearance in the glass. Some head in the glass, about one finger.

Smell. Smells like lemon, not lemonade, more like Real Lemon lemon juice concentrate.

Taste. Dry taste. Obviously lots of lemons.

Mouthfeel. Carbonated. Reminds me of a wine cooler or sparkling wine. This reminds of the a malt based wine cooler rather than a beer. In PA malt coolers are solid at beer distributors while wine based coolers are sold at the state stores. At least that was the case back in the mid 80s when these types of drinsks were popular. I try never to refuse a beer, but i dont think this was a beer. I gave it to my wife and she enjoyed it.

3.45/5  rDev +9.2%

The thought of beer mixed with Lemonade made my stomach turn. I will admit I went into this expecting the worst. But, alas! I enjoyed it!

It has a hazy, cloudy yellow color, almost as if the cloudiness came straight from lemonade being poured into the brew. Small white head.

Smells of lemonade, no hops detectable. The taste, well it is what you expect. Initially hit with the lemon flavor, but you get used to it. Its not very overpowering and not sour whatsoever. Its rather enjoyable.

Perfect for a picnic or an outdoor ball game. It's a shame Leinies doesn't make this year round, I could use some to fend off these cold Minnesotan winters.

2.07/5  rDev -34.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a light gold. Short lasting foam

S - hops and lemons

T - A standard wheat with added tinges of watered down lemonade mixture.

M - Light and an a feeling of over carbonation. It's almost as if they over-carbonated just because it's a "summer seasonal".

D - It seems that it would have been better to use a regular lemon instead of the mixture chosen. I purchased a six-pack, but let guests finish the rest. I'm unlikely to ever purchase again.

1.29/5  rDev -59.2%

A- murky lemon yellow. bif foaming white head fizzles down fast with some spots of lace left behind. little bits of yeast float about in the brew.

S- lemon candy and dish soap with no other detectable aromas.

T- artificial and medicinal, lemon soap, some plain white bread in the finish with an unpleasant aftertaste.

MF- thin, fizzy, and starchy feeling. not all that refreshing due to the strange flavor.

D- i've made my own radlers by mixing home made lemonade with a good german beer, but this is undrinkable for me.

3.15/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: A nice golden yellowish orange hazy color.
Nose: Toasted malt and lemons hints of hops and molasses.
Taste: Toasted malt hints of lemon but it is kinda balanced. There was a slight bit of tartness in finish but overall a nice clean and easy beer to drink. I think Samuel Adams has a little bit better summer beer.

2.39/5  rDev -24.4%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Very pale yellow color with a slight head.

S- Very strong, overpowering lemon scent. Honestly it kind of smells like Pine-Sol.

T- Entirely too much lemon in here. Very bitter beer. Way too much citrus in this beer.

M- Very bitter. The overpowering lemon flavor really hurts this beer.

D- Not a great taste so I wouldn't drink many of these. The citrus is too overpowering to have a lot of these in a sitting.

2.94/5  rDev -7%

This is difficult to rate as a beer, since it much more resembled a non-alcoholic mixture of Ginger-Ale and lemonade. Very pale in color, with little lacing or head and a hint of lemon in the nose. Taste was lemony soda pop.

Not sure who this beer would appeal to, as even the women at our table thought it tasted too cheesy. Before I drink this again, I'll have a straight lemonade or real beer, not this 'tweener.

1.28/5  rDev -59.5%

This sounded good on paper. Lemonade, meet a wheat beer. Well, if they had used a decent lemonade and a mediocre wheat beer then maybe they would have had something. All this is, is a sickly, sweet mess on top of a less than mediocre wheat beer. Yuck.

4.19/5  rDev +32.6%

4.2% Alcohol by Volume
Color of Head = #F1F9AD
Color of Body = #D7E465

I'm actually pretty excited about this beer. I have a feeling that it might be amazing. It also has a good chance of being complete and total shit, but such is life. It claims to be a "Weiss beer with lemonade," which I'll admit sounds pretty appealing to me, even in this ridiculously cold November Tennessee weather.

This beer smells delicious. Like Stewart's lemonade. The head is fairly thick, but it retreats fast. I actually really, really like this. The lemonade taste is pretty heavy, but you can still pick out the hints of wheaty malt. Pretty damn carbonated too. Gums are already tingling. Both my roommate and girlfriend actually liked this beer, and neither of them drink at all which really says something for the mild sweetness of this beer. It probably has something to do with the low alcohol content too. I was concerned before I opened this that it would taste like someone spilled some Mike's Hard Lemonade in a Natty Light and tried to pass off the result as a microbrew, but this combines the two very well. You know, I have seen a lot of fruit flavors added to wheat beer, some turning out well (Blueberry with Sweetwater Blue) and some not so well (Raspberry with Abita Purple Haze), but it has really surprised me that I rarely see any citrus fruits combined with beer. Particularly fruits like lemons and oranges, you know, the ones you actually PUT IN the beer when you get it in a bar. I actually keep smelling the empty glass the beer smells so damn good. When I burp, it's as though I ingested some lovely Lemon Pledge, which is much better than the normal beer burp smell. I should start capping off my nights of drinking with one of these like a breath mint.

This is a (very) surprisingly good beer that everyone you know will like, even those damn snobby, American Guinness stout drinkers. Plus, you don't get called names for drinking this when you really want a cheer beer. It even has a twist off cap! This beer definitely stands out. It kicks ass at the fruit combination thing that so many other beers fail at. This beer really changed my view on Leinenkugel as a brewery. Though I don't know if my dismissal of them was due to me actually having and disliking one of their beers, or if I just really hated their logo and fonts. And everything else about their design. The whole package looks like it could be found at a crappy gift shop at the Cherokee Indian Reserve. Even so, I will definitely be picking up a six pack of this beer whenever the weather starts to warm up a little bit.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company