Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)

1.3/5  rDev -58.7%

This sounded like a good idea after a sweltering hot Cubs game. Little did I know that I was wrong. This comes straight at you with an artificial lemon scent and taste. This "lemon" taste masks any traces of malt or hops. A real Shandy is refreshing, this tastes more like Mr Clean. mouthfeel was light. I didn't finish this one.

I would recommend mixing fresh squeezed lemonade with a decent lager. This is more like a Smiroff ice type artificial tasting malternative

1.3/5  rDev -58.7%

1.32/5  rDev -58.1%

1.37/5  rDev -56.5%

1.38/5  rDev -56.2%

What have I gotten myself into here. I am no where near a fan of this beer, but I had one sitting in the fridge and in the sake of fairness had to give it a try. Served as cold as I could, and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/10/2008.

The pour was, well pathetic. An almost clear liquid coming forward with only the slightest bit of a tint toward the pale golden color. Lots of carbonation here was readily apparent as it just ripped toward the surface like seltzer water. A decent head formed on the pour, but then fell back as things started to drag on.

The aroma was a step above horrible for me. Nothing here but a terrible artificial lemon smell that was light, and at the same time sickingly sweet. The flavor was even worse though. This was one of those that I literally gagged on when I took a sip. Cheap, like a bad sprite. There was just way too much carbonation that made it feel even lighter then it was, which was saying a lot. But the flavor lacked any real depth, no character to it at all. Just a light grain, malt beverage that was overloaded with too much lemon.

Utterly a wreck, this one ended in a drain pour, which I seriously hate to do. This may actually only be like my second drain pour, it was just that bad. In the future I would not make this mistake again.

1.44/5  rDev -54.3%

1.44/5  rDev -54.3%

1.45/5  rDev -54%

My nephew thought I would love this brew since I'm such a fan of beer and lemonade.

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with an off-white head. Retention is poor, dropping to a thin film very quickly. No yeast noticeable or any indication of bottle-conditioning to explain the haziness.
Smell is forceful, all lemon meringue pie and lemon peel with a whiff of floral. Not much in the way of balance but with this style I wasn't expecting too much here. All scents are completely artificial.
Taste is even more forceful and completely artificial in nature. All lemon pledge with faint floral hops. Nothing else.
Light bodied, medium effervescence. Slightly oily texture. There is nothing in this beer to indicate it is a beer. It seems to be more of a lab experiment that some uneducated person or persons thought might pass as a beer. They were so wrong. Can't see the attraction to this one. Not refreshing at all. Gave the rest of the bottle, nearly 8 oz., to someone who wanted it.

1.5/5  rDev -52.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear plastic cup.

Appearance: Opaque light yellow with almost no head.

Smell: Sweet lemonade, slight wheat malt.

Taste: Tastes like bad lemonade with some bad wheat beer thrown in.

Feel: High tingly carbonation, thin body. Does not feel like beer.

Drinkability: Wretched. Either give me a lemonade or give me a beer. Just not this.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company