Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

A can got left in my fridge so I thought I would try it.

This poured a very light and very cloudy yellow. It started with a nice head but that went away quickly.

The nose is strong tart lemonade. I like that when I drink lemonade. We shall see if it is good for beer...

Taste is pretty much lemonade. The finish is too dry for me; rather astringent. Lemon rind becomes apparent in the finish. This does not taste much like beer but more like carbonated lemonade.

daledeee, Jul 18, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +43.3%

Bought this as part of a six pack mixer from Liberty Street Tavern. Great beer for a hot and humid summer day. It had a nice cloudy yellow pour. Had a nice head of foam with a nice lemon scent. The first taste had pleasantly sweetness to it but finished with a nice slightly bitter lemon. One of the better fruit beers I have had.

kahjdfh, Jul 12, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a thick, weaky, frothy head, not really thick and impressive. The beer is a hazy, cloudy yellow. The smell is nothing to be impressed by, but not offensive either. The beer is a bit syrup like, or cheap, not super hight quality in terms of being a lemonade beer. This is an easily drinkable, but not outstanding brew. I've had it before, I'll have it again, and I enjoy it, but it isn't anything to be wowed by.

justincolts, Jul 12, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with a long-lasting white head, no lace.

S: Smells like 7-UP.

T: Very light flavour, hint of malt and hops. The lemon comes through in the finish, but overall very mild.

M: Light-bodied, thin and watery.

D: Interesting enough to try once, but the beer got boring fast, not something to come back to.

Halcyondays, Jul 12, 2010
3.18/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from 12oz into a imperial pint glass.

A: A murky, pale yellow body, with a white nose that retreats quickly.

S: A subtle aroma, which shows a domination of lemon.

T: A burst of lemon with a hint of clove on the finish. All lemon covers up most of the limited flavors which maybe present.

M: A refreshing spice, with a crisp finish.

D: This is one of those beers where drinkablity is in regards to the total ability to drink it often and quickly, not the desire to come back to it for reasons of style, flavor, and complexity.

GDBEERMAN, Jul 08, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Look - very light straw color, cloudy, lemonaide-looking. Good foam, about two finger's worth. Good carbonation, but hard to see due to cloudiness.

Smell - definite lemon smell. More hoppy than malty, but not extremely hoppy.

Taste - very strong lemon taste. Tastes like it should have an entire lemon floating in it...I can't get too far past it in the taste to find anything else.

Mouthfeel - medium..somewhat light, somewhat creamy.

Drinkability - probably not the greatest beer, but in terms of repeat drinkability, with the lower abv and not-very-beer-like taste, you could come back to this type of beer a few times.

Nerudamann, Jul 08, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow. Like Hoegaarden. Not as much foam, but good lacing.

Smell: Lemon with an earthy lemongrass aroma as well. I would like this a bit stronger though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Summer Shandy lives up to its billing as a mixture of lemonade and beer. I know they serve stuff like this in Germany, particularly in the Munich area. I have to say I find the taste quite pleasant and detect an acceptable amount of malt as well in the finish. I worried this would taste like Sprite. I'm glad to be wrong.

Drinkability: Hey, it's lemonade.

Overall: It's not the greatest beer in the planet. But really? Is that the point with Summer Shandy? No. It's meant to be a refreshing SUMMER SHANDY. On those grounds I give this beer a positive review.

tjsdomer2, Jul 04, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a mug...

Pours a big, fluffy white head that leaves nice lacing. The brew is a hazy, somewhat dark lemonade color.

Smells of lemon and citrus hops.

Tastes of citrusy hopped lemonade...with a faint wheatiness...

Mouthfeel is thin, light and crisp.

This brew makes for a good summertime gathering drink. Think of wine cooler meets a very mildly hopped beer and this is what you have. Not bad at all from a drinkability perspective, goes down easy enough, but it really depends on the crowd and what you're in the mood for.

ujsplace, Jul 02, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Served in a pint glass, appears a hazy yellow color with an average amount of white head and some lacing.

Smells strongly of lemon, but also fairly sweet. Doesn't really smell like a beer to me, no malts or hops whatsoever, just lemon. The taste is somewhat better, getting some grains but still overpowered by the lemon.

The mouthfeel is light bodied, with average carbonation, nothing really out of the ordinary. This isn't difficult to drink, but I won't have it unless there are no other options. Goes down decently on a hot day after a few other drinks, but really not impressed.

zimm421, Jun 28, 2010
1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear plastic cup.

Appearance: Opaque light yellow with almost no head.

Smell: Sweet lemonade, slight wheat malt.

Taste: Tastes like bad lemonade with some bad wheat beer thrown in.

Feel: High tingly carbonation, thin body. Does not feel like beer.

Drinkability: Wretched. Either give me a lemonade or give me a beer. Just not this.

bsp77, Jun 26, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -42.7%

12oz bottle from a mixed 12 pack poured into a pint glass.

A- this one pours out a very pale and hazy yellow colored body with a small white head on it. the head vanishes before my eyes and leaves behind absolutely no lacing.

S- the odor here reminds me of an off brand powdered lemonade mix. theres nothing that smells like a beer here.

T- the taste is all about that powdered lemonade that i could smell. except that it tastes like theres too much water in it. once again, this really doesnt taste like a beer.

M- light bodied with lots of carbonation. watery.

D- believe it or not, i liked this one more on tap. it seemed a lot more flavorful that way. this was my last time drinking this one.

jwinship83, Jun 25, 2010
2.03/5  rDev -35.4%

A: hazy light straw, minimal white head/lace.
S: lemons
T: tastes more like a lightly sweet artificial powdered lemonade than beer, but at least it's not super-sour or overly sweet.
M: thin, puckering, effervescent.
D: hard to finish one, unless i had a real hankering for lemonade. as far as lemonade goes, it's not terrible. as far as beer goes...

MrMcGibblets, Jun 23, 2010

This beer is all about recovering from a hot long day of work or play. Don't expect malt or hop goodness. Expect a refreshing drink.

A: Cloudy yellow in appearance with a thin head that will lace down the glass if poured.
S: Smells of lemons on lemons with no hint of malt or hops; not a bad thing for this style in my opinion.
T: I liked this beer mainly because it was associated with good memories of when I lived in Bavaria where they would frequently mix a hefeweizen with lemonade making a "Radler." It is perfect for a hot summer day at the pool or just after coming inside.
M: Tiny bubbles, smooth.
D: Very similar to drinking lemonade... you can go until the citrus flavor as coated your tongue beyond comfort.

smcreator, Jun 22, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

Tried this at Lamp Lighters in Palatine. Beer of the month apparently at this place. The color is a straw very light color. Smells of lemon and wheat. This tasted like lemonade on crack. Could only handle two before I switched back to some better beers. It would be good on a nice summer day when you want something light and refreshing.

bradleyp, Jun 20, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well I know this is a average beer but because of the unique taste this is a just above average beer in my book.

The apperance is yellow it looks nice.

S - lemons really nothing extra.

T - I liked it but it is different it taste like the lemonade it was mixed with. I liked it but I can see people not liking it.

M - Mouthfeel is of lemons.

D - Again this is a different beer it is like a malt but it isnt. Thats okay it does what it is looking to do. My wife loves it. I feel it is agreat gateway into craft.

Casey10, Jun 13, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

The pale, cloudy appearance isn't too impressive up front for this summery lemonade-infused wheat beer. The initial citrus smell isn't bad, though, but what really counts is the taste, and here it just reminds me far too much of Pledge furniture polish. Something here seems fishy (and plastic), and I won't be picking these up anytime soon.

secondtooth, Jun 04, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy poured a light color, with a decent head. It smells very strongly of lemonade, and had a sweet smell. The taste had a very strong lemonade flavor, and was rather sweet. Very very easy to drink, anybody would enjoy this beer. Overall its very different, and not bad, worth a shot, great on a hot summer day.

vette2006c5r, Jun 03, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -34.7%

Cloudy yellow color with a small white head with fair retention. Smells like sweet lemons, or lemonade. I guess this is what they wanted to do, but it does not make me think of beer.

Tastes like a pale wheat ale mixed with lemonade. This is not working for me. Just my opinion. Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a dry finish. I will not seek this out again.

hardy008, Jun 02, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass this brew has a light straw color with a frizzly white head that pops. The aroma is of light malts and of course lemonade. Now I love a tall cold glass of lemonade as much as the other guy, but in my brew? My BA bud drizzam swears by this stuff. The taste is what you would think a light malt brew with lemonade and that is where it ends. The after taste is stale leaving a dry and almost stank taste in my mouth. I think it best to leave these two things separate, or at least to the women to drink in "hard" malt liquors.

WJVII, May 30, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Hazed lemong glow golden with a bright white creamy head forming thick witha fizzy head, lacing is nice fine and scattered on the sides of my chalice. Aroma heavy with the lemonzest almost like a cleaning supply lemon, it's very zesty. Flavors clear out the nostrils with lemon zest and really hit heavy with the tartness definitely some biscuit/wheat malt characteristics but the lemon zest rolls a bit too hard I couldn't drink many of these even though I really like the can they're packaged in. Very carbonated light bodied mouthfeel that is a bit too much. Drinkability is weak, tasty brew a bit heavy on the lemon zest doesn't work out as a standby regular for me.

WVbeergeek, May 29, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a hazy pale straw color with minimal head. Scent is of lemons and pale malt - smells like lemonade mixed with a light BMC product. Taste is again a simple belnd of lemon and pale grains - the lemon is not too artificial nor too sour, there is no horrible big rush of sweetness, there is not even a twangy light beer taste. The backbone is a halfway decent fresh grain-like taste. Plain and simple - its a light lemonade mixed with a slightly above average beer. Light to medium bodied, a bit grainy in the mouth. Let me get this off my chest - i enjoyed it for what it was. That doesnt make it a great beer, but it was a nice drink.

rfgetz, May 24, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

A fairly light beer but pleasant. The beer smells like lemon zest. Taste is of a light wheat beer with a strong lemon finish. It has a light crisp feel to the tongue. It would be quite refreshing making it a perfect beer to drink after a long hot day.

hdofu, May 24, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -18.8%

Served from bottle into a Samuel Smith Euro pint. Pours a hazy pale yellow color with one finger white head that slowly subsides. There is no apparent lacing throughout. The aroma is of a malt beverage with a massive lemonade note. The flavor of this brew is almost not flavor with a subtle lemonade hint. It is light on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this beer is not that enjoyable. Might be okay for getting someone off Mike's Hard Lemonade, but for an avid beer drinker, this is kind of blah...

thagr81us, May 23, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Pour: Cloudy lemonade yellow with very active carbonation and a fizzy 2-fingered, pure white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Lemons. Some wheat malt underneath it, and no detectable hops.

Taste: A bit like carbonated lemonade. No hop bitterness and a little bit of wheat sweetness, but overall, sort of bland. Good for refreshment after a hard day's work, but not much substance. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, like carbonated water. Was hoping for a bit more.

Drinkability: Quaffable but only because it's like water.

Final Notes: Good for refreshment on a hot summer day. Not good for much else, though. I wasn't a fan.

bagpiper2005, May 22, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a cloudy washed out yellow color below a fizzy white head that quickly dies leaving a small white lacing rimming the glass.

An initial whiff tells me I've just poured a piece of lemon meringue pie into my glass, If I was wanting to get drunk off of a pie, my choice would have been apple pie Ala mode, but I guess drinking desert is just one of the reasons I drink.

The taste is all lemon drops, this I think is more like something the wine cooler people or maybe the Smirnoff guys would market.

The light aftertaste is a lingering lemonyness that would have been pretty dang good if I had remember to have some grilled salmon or halibut handy.

I think this would have been better if it has been 100 degrees outside, or maybe at the lakes, who knows.

I rated this beer kind of low for a couple of reason:

1) If I wanted to drink lemonade I would have bought some Country Time.
2) If I wanted to drink a overly lemony alcohol drink I would have bought some Bartle's and Jaymes or those little Jack Daniel's favored drinks.
3) I kind of like trying flavored beers, and seem to rebuy them if the taste is subdued and the taste of beer is still there, not so with this outing from Leinenugel's.

next...