Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Definitely has a lemonade smell to it, and not sweet lemons either...pretty tart stuff. I approve of that, as I prefer tart lemonade versus too sweet.

Taste of the beer is certainly dominated by the lemon, but it isn't something I'd necessarily characterize as sweet or overally tart. It's really somewhere in the middle, leaning more towards tart. There's quite a high wheat presence in the finish of the beer, as well as a little sweetness that peeks through, which I will assume is the honey. Rightly so, it plays a backseat role to the lemon and wheat.

It isn't bad...pretty refreshing, though I was hoping for a bit more of a tart drink (I'm glad it wasn't really sweet, though). I'm not sure how often I'd drink this if I had a lot of good craft available, because there are other summer seasonals which I generally enjoy more than this.

NODAK, Apr 30, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -31.5%

This 12 ounce can of Summer Shandy came from a Summer Variety 12-Pack. What a novel idea. Best by July 4, 2011. From the label: "Weiss beer brewed with honey with natural lemonade flavor." Uh, that sounds weird, but whatever. I cracked this open and poured into a weizen glass.

A moderate pour produces three fingers of foamy lemon-tinted head. Retention is moderate. The brew is maize colored and incredibly hazy but not dirty looking. The amount of haziness provides almost zero translucence. It's exceeding my expectations in appearance.

The aroma is dominated by a strange artificial lemon scent. I cut my teeth on Short's Brewing Company beers so I should be used to this kind of thing; but I'm telling you, this beer smells weird. Taking a big whiff is akin to huffing household cleaning products. In a blind scent test I doubt that I would identify it as beer.

The overall effect on the palate is that of watered down Diet Snapple Lemonade, complete with NutraSweet brand artificial sweetener. It does have a recognizable wheat finish, but at that point it's more like "who put beer in my nasty fake lemonade?" rather than the other way around. It is just all around watery and artificial. Approaching it as beer, I can't help but feel disappointment. Approaching it as some other form of liquid summer refreshment still leaves me on the fence. Why wouldn't I just drink lemonade...or beer?

This is a light bodied brew for sure. In the mouth it is tingly thanks to the high amount of carbonation and sharp lemon bite. It leaves an unpleasant acidic feeling on my teeth that I could do without. It's actually kind of refreshing, though it only vaguely resembles beer.

Overall, I can't say that I would recommend Summer Shandy to anyone. Aside from being a confusing beverage, it just isn't that good. At roughly a dollar a can it's not that great a value either. The upside is the relatively low 4.2% ABV. If equal parts water and Diet Snapple is your thing then you could drink these all day in the hot summer sun. As for me, I will be sticking with ice cold Arnold Palmers for my non-beer summer refreshment needs.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
I do not give a Schlitz for Summer Shandy. I do not give a Snapple for Summer Shandy. And just to be clear; I do not give a lemon scented Pine Sol for Summer Shandy.

weizenbob, Apr 29, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

A- One thing i kinda get giddy for is cool caps. This one Is actually very fitting and is def a good one to add to the collection. Pours a off yellow, that ias very cloudy in appearance. Def has that weissen look going for it. poured very aggressively and got a nice two finger head that dissapeared almost as fast as i poured it. moderate to no retention in this one.

S- lemons, lemons and more lemons. slight yeastyness. slightly wheat like.

T- bready and tart. lemons only hit for a second before the beer turns toasty. lingering sweetness is kinda funky. the lemonade in this one is really not overpowering, it just makes its presence known and then hides away.

M/O- this is a medium bodied brew, that is overall sweet. Has wonderful carbonation that cleans everything away. Highly drinkable. This is a tasty and enjoyable summer drinker.

IIKaRuII, Apr 28, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

I got a twelve pack of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy for around $10 at Krogers. I felt like starting out the night with something on the lighter side and it's a little warmer tonight so this beer seems like a good choice. Drink by date of July 4th, 2011. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks OK, its got a summertime vibe to it. It poured a cloudy light yellow color with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that dissipated pretty fast to nothing. If you poured it into a glass with ice it would look like lemonade.

S- The aroma of this beer is dominated by citrus lemons, so much so that it smells pretty similar to lemonade. There is just a hint of grainy malts at the end that let you know this is still a beer.

T- The taste is pretty similar to the aroma. The malts are more pronounced then they were in the aroma and taste wheaty. The citrus lemons are the major player here and they have some acidic tartness to them. The flavor is pretty close to lemonade with some wheat flavors coming through towards the finish.

M- Light bodied, crisp, refreshing, and with just the right amount of carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a nice warm weather beer and my personal favorite for taking with me to play some disc golf, I often go with oberon, but this beer is lighter and more refreshing then oberon and I like that better for playing disc golf. This beer is exactly what it's name implies, a Shandy, and thats how I grade this beer, not as a typical fruit beer. This is the only commercially available Shandy I have seen, most of the time Shandy's are DYI recipes, so I like the fact that it is already mixed and the fact it comes in cans helps also. I tend to keep this in my fridge all summer for those afternoon disc golf games, they are nice and refreshing and don't get you too buzzed, it just has great drinkability. If you are looking for a lighter refreshing beer for those active summer days then this beer will work well.

StoutHunter, Apr 25, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -12.4%

It was 70 degrees yesterday and I sat on my front porch blastin' out old foreign punk rock. Today it's rainy so I bought this to cheer me up. :)

Serving type: bottle. the only way it comes?
appearance: always drink from the bottle.
Smell: citrus, maybe a little bread.
Taste: citrus and real beer flavor mixed. It starts off as citrusy but then turns to a beer flavor. A smooth citrus rather than zesty and pronounced one such as Mike's Lemonade.
Mouthfeel: real light and smooth.

Overall: I didn't realize this was only 4.2 percent until I got it home. I never buy below 5% just 'cause I want a real beer and not "lite" beer. I liked the other 3 beers I had by this company last summer. One was blueberry I believe and another wheat? Can't remember exactly. Summer Shandy is something you could drink all day if it was sold cheaply enough or was free. I'm not gonna but it again because at $7 it's a bit expensive for the ABV. and falling into the "joke" beer category such as being a lemonade.

ELN, Apr 24, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -16.2%

Pint Draft special at Archer's Tavern where you get to keep the glass. Nice pint glass - narrow on bottom and opens up a bit at top.

A: murky bright yellow color, opaque, thick head.

S: very lemony, citrusy aroma, but not like a hop aroma -- more like lemonade or lemon candy.

T: Very lemony flavor reminds me of furniture polish and lemonade. Some wheat flavor, but mostly hidden by the sweet flavors. Cardboard aftertaste.

M: light to Med bodied, well carbonated.

D: I can only imagine enjoying this on a hot day leading up to something else. The glassware is the best part.

chaz01, Apr 13, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Served in a frosted shaker pint glass at Finn McCool's.

Figured since it was a featured brew and one I haven't had at Quizzo yet, I'd take it down tonight. It pours a hazy white grapefruit topped by a half-finger of short-lived white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, wheat, and what could theoretically be construed as coriander. All of these elements come through very meekly. The taste holds notes of lemonade, grapefruit juice, lemon peel, and slightly funky wheat. It all comes across as something akin to a crappy bottle of Squirt or something. The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and a grainy-ish feel. Overall, I can easily say that I would not go for this one particularly in the future.

TMoney2591, Apr 07, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +29%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a wheat beer glass.

This is a super-cloudy gold color, with a massive head that just barely filled up the quite large area this glass has for head to accumulate. Lacing is alright. This smells just like a lemonade. Great smelling, I'd like a bit more of the wheat character here though, as it comes through on the taste. The taste is a nice balance between the lemonade flavors and a sweet wheat flavor. Nothing amazing, but perfectly thirst quenching on the 90 degree Florida days we're already having here.

The mouthfeel is great, it's just perfectly carbonated and has the right thickness to be refreshing. The drinkabilitiy, of course, is phenomenal. May as well be drinking lemonades. I know a lot of elitists will hate on this, but I enjoy this brew. It's just a refreshing beer that is great in the Florida sun.

shand, Apr 05, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -14%

Thought I'd try this since it was free. Went to the Coors pre-game party for the Rockies home-opener. I'm shy to pay for any Leiny's after my horrible run-in with Sunset Wheat...

Pours cloudy yellow, hollow foamy head. Not all that big. Actually looks like urine.

Aroma is 99% lemon, without the pucker. The last 1% is stale malt.

Taste is lemonade without the acidic puckering. It's a good thing this one has a ton of lemony-ness because the malt is ugly. It's like burnt cardboard. The lemon covers this up.
Thin feel, some carbonation separates it from unsweetened lemonade. Glad it was free

Mebuzzard, Apr 02, 2011

A - Pours a cloudy, bright yellow color with a small white head that fades quickly.

S - Honestly, this smells like lemonade.

T - Tastes like on of those malted beverages. Jack Daniels Country Lemonade comes to mind. Hard to figure this as a beer.

M - Light and crisp due to the high carbonation.

O - I could see how this could appeal to some. It would be good for drinkers looking to move from standard macros. I wouldn't be opposed to having one or two on a hot summer day.

CMW, Mar 26, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +49%

Excellent summer Beer. Hint of Lemonade and Orange flavor with hoppy aftertones. Not a beer for the winter. But the hot 90° summer days, there is not much better!It is very easy to drink. The color is a nice cloudy yellow with a 1" white foam head. Out of the Leinies summer brews this is right behind the Sunset Wheat for me.

chadj19, Mar 26, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

The pour was a cloudy light amber with a very small white foamy head that diminished in a matter of seconds and had poor runny lacing.

The Aroma was light grain malt, a very mild grassy hop and a soapy yeast with a note of citrus (lemon).

The taste was kind of light and a little malty with a decent yeast presence throughout with the finish having a mild citrus taste towards the end. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a yeasty lemon taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was light in body and a tad watery in texture with a somewhat lively carbonation.

Overall this was a brew with a refreshing citrus wheat flavor and an easy drinkability. It would make a good summertime brew for those who prefer a lighter beer…

KajII, Mar 10, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

Lemonade beer? Good idea I guess. I would rather drink an Arnold Palmer with a shot of Grey Goose. Beer is pale light yellow. Of course smells like lemon and dirty dish water tones. Kind of looks like dirty dish water. They had this on a keg last year at a golf outing. I could only drink one. Too sweet, zesty and fizzy for a hot day. Upsets the stomach a little. Taste, sounds, drinks and feels like a soda pop. Sorry Leines this is your worst beer.

sweett3k, Mar 08, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +14%

Appearance:
Pours a muddy yellow color with a finger of white head, which dissipates into about an 1/8" topping.

Smell:
Lemons and sugar. That pretty much sums this one up. It smells just like lemonade.

Taste:
Lemonade and orange rind flavors with some sweet malt in the background. Lemony bitterness that doesn't really taste like it's coming from hops.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy and lightly carbonated. The taste lingers, but doesn't stick to your mouth the way lemonade would.

Drinkability:
During summer, this would be a drink of choice when I'm looking for something fruity. During the winter, I mostly take it out of my reserves to rebel against winter. As for being a beer, it... doesn't taste like beer. Still, great as it's own drink.

evanlarkin, Mar 03, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +20.4%

A- pours a golden yellow with small head

S- Strong lemon notes with some hints of yeast

T- Lemon hits you right away but its nottoo strong.

M-Light bodied with average carbonation

D- Love this "beer". i know it may not be considered a beer by some but dang this is soo good and easy to drink on a hot summer day!

zrab11, Feb 26, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

Reminds me of the boat, bass, cabin and the summer months. My choice in the summer everytime.

I drank it out of the bottle and the smell was fine, bit of fruitiness smell and tiny bit of grain. Taste is good and the mouthfeel fantastic during the summer months. Drinkability is fair, wouldn't be my choice to pound these one night, would rather go for some rolling rock.

Afree, Feb 23, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

The shandy to me is a symbol of summer. I still look forward every year to seeing these guys on the shelves at the local liquor store. The color of the beer is a cloudy yellow with a white small foam head. This beer smells like a nice tall glass of lemonade to me more than a beer. The taste is more like a lemonade drink than a beer to me but I really do enjoy the taste due to the refreshing feel that comes with it. The name says it all this "beer" is definitely taylor made for those hot summer days spent on the hammock.

Definitely not a bad beer at all, but as I grow older I find myself more drawn to the hoppy citrus flavors than the straight lemonade approach.

IchabodcraneIpa, Feb 16, 2011

A+. Hands down. I don't understand why this beer is getting such bad reviews from other users. Here is the way I look at the Shandy: it is not a "beer" per say, but a delicious flavored beverage that goes hand-in-hand with hot summer days, laying on the beach, going out on the boat, or sitting around a bonfire on the back deck on a late July night. Now if I am looking for an actual "beer", than I am not going for the Shandy. That is the point - the Shandy is a beer made perfect for specific conditions. It is extremely easy to drink, so it's a good session beer. The color is perfect for summer - a nice cloudy yellow with a white foam head. It has a sweetness to it, so I can totally see how that may turn off some of the other reviewers. Great for BBQ's and lazy summer days.

scottmbolt, Feb 10, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -13.1%

A- golden, cloudy yellow with 1 finger head.

S- big lemon aroma. hint of grain.

T- too much lemon and not enough beer and this is what kills it for me with this beer.

M- light body, ok carbonation feel. Feels like a carbonated lemonade drink.

D- Save your money; this is only in a pinch at picnic during super hot summer day.

BeerLover99, Dec 28, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

One of my first beers as a legal adult, so this brings back lots of memories with friends and summers spent by a bonfire drinking a Shandy.
Think of this beer as a watered alcoholic version of Sunkist Lemonade (where available in your area)
Very light and fruity, not like Leines Berry Weiss but I still won't drink more than 12 pack at one time.

leezy, Nov 28, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: A completely cloudy lemon-colored body capped by two fingers of bubbly off-white head that leaves no lacing. This looks like a slice of lemon meringue pie in a glass.

Aroma: The lemon meringue theme continues in the nose. Lots of juicy and sweet lemon over a weak whiff of beer. This is exactly what I remember from my childhood.

Flavor: Lots of crisp and candied lemon over a mild wheat backbone. The lemonade here is more American in style than British, but it still works. It's not very complicated, but it was never really meant to be. Lemon and grain in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with sharpish spritzy carbonation that's reminiscent of soda.

Drinkability: As long as you're not completely turned off by the conceit of a Shandy, this is as drinkable as intended.

Verdict: You have to take Summer Shandy for what it is, an easy drinking beer cocktail designed for people who don't really like beer. Taking that into account, along with my fondness for Shandies as a lad, I have to say I kinda like it.

BeanBone, Oct 15, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

haha this beer cracks me up.

A- golden lemon yellow. with a super white foamy head.

S- lemon peel, lemon citrus, lemonade, a lot of lemon here.

T- it's lemony for sure, some hops but hardly anything.

M- super light, crisp and not too carbonated considering i would just wanna call this a mike's hard.

D- on a hot day at a picnic sure why not... but for a beer person just don't waste money on it. Worth trying, but not worth buying.

tykees88, Oct 15, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale gold color that is mildly cloudy with a small head.

Smell: Strong lemon/citrus overtones in the aroma without any real hop presence. While it's inviting, it doesn't exactly smell like beer.

Taste: Has a mild lemon flavor that isn't too overpowering. Has no hops that I could notice. While it doesn't taste like a typical beer, it's still smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thin and somewhat watery.

Drinkability: It's good, but I think I could only drink it on a hot summer day. It works really well with a burger.

civilizedpsycho, Oct 12, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

I'll be the first to admit that I think that Leinenkugel's is a very overrated brewer. This beer won't change my mind. Very "lemon-y" and sweet which I personally don't care for in a beer. I expected a much more tart flavor but it is rather sweet which keeps one from being able to drink to many at a time.

Plokhooy, Sep 25, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

This pours yellow with little head. Smells like lemon and tastes like lemonade mixed with a light lager. Light-bodied, but decently carbonated. This may be a session beer for some, but I could not drink more than two because it's too sweet and the taste just isn't for me.

Dunkle, Sep 15, 2010