Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 607 | Hads: 3,353
2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

I was ignorant to the term shandy before picking this one up. An English friend of mine made me hip to it.

Pours a pale yellow and cloudy color with little head.

Smell is citric and not very beer like.

The lemonade flavoring is too strong and overpowers almost every aspect of actual beer. Which makes this taste more like a bad lemonade than a wheat beer.

Not sure where they are going with this one. I wanted a beer not a mike's ripoff.

3.04/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A - Very cloudy pale yellow with 2 finger of white head and little lacing

S - LEMON ... reminiscent of lemonade

T - More lemon a little bitter

M - Light body with light to medium carbonation

D - not to bad not awesome

3.18/5  rDev +2.3%

It is a hazy yellow gold. The head is a sticky white head that stays around for a long time with great lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is citrus from the wheat beer and then has a strong lemonade scent. The two go well together.

The taste starts with a tartness of summertime lemonade and finishes with the full-flavored body of the wheat beer.

The lemonade and citrus go well together, but the lemonade was a little strong and distracted from the flavor of the wheat beer. A little overpowering.

2.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a very cloudy yellow into my pint glass. Has a 1.5 finger head with white soda-like bubbles. Leaves a small amount of lace on the glass.

The smell is obviously lemon at first, but after a few sniffs, an astringent quality comes through, and it starts to smell more like a lemon scented cleanser. The taste is...not terrible, but certainly not great. It's almost like Budweiser with powered lemonade mix stirred in.

The mouthfeel is very acidic and carbonated from the moment it touches your tongue.

My review makes it sound worse than it probably is. Served ice cold on a hot day, it would probably hit the spot. Any other time, and I don't think I would have more than one.

3.17/5  rDev +1.9%

Had some of this at a barbecue over the weekend.

Poured a light yellow, with thin head.

Smells like lemonade and a bit of beer.

Tastes like a mix between a hefe and lemonade. Lemonade comes across bold but not strong, and mixes well with the wheat.

Mouthfeel is good. Not overly carbonated, which is nice, and goes down well.

This isn't my style but if offered I'd drink it again. Perfect for someone who wants to have a real beer instead of "Random Persons Hard Lemonade Malt Beverage".

3.92/5  rDev +26%

A - Cloudy, yellow color - looking like most good wietbier's I've had. Looks a tiny bit off like you can see the lemonade in it
S - Strong citrusy, lemons and limes, smells good
T - . Typical wheat-flavors, with good NATURAL tasting lemon flavor. I was worried about this being too sweet but it isn't.
M - Medium bodied, a little on the thin side, light carbonation.
D - In short - I like this. Much better then Leinenekuger's ill fated Berry weiser, this one still tastes like beer. The lemonade/lemon flavor introduced is natural and not sickly sweet. I see people comparing this to Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I think that's a complete stretch. This is just a decent wietbier with some lemon flavors added to it which complements it well.

3.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Huge white fluffy head in a frosted mug with a fair lacing over a murky golden tan colored brew. The lemon is easily detected in the aroma to the extent that it's pretty hard to pick up much else, almost lemon-lime. If your not use to this mixture, it's a bit of a surprise, but you can adjust to it if you're open minded. Tastes sort of like a mellow lemon cake with modest sweetness. It's very easy drinking and refreshing and I would say it grows on you depending on your expectations. I probably could enjoy these if I just think more lemonade than beer, not often such a desirable option but, I can handle it once in a great while.

3.67/5  rDev +18%

A- Pale yellow color, cloudy, thin white head that faded quickly to a thin ring

S- Lemon lime soda, sugary, pale malts, very sweet

T- Lemonade, syrup, tart, citrusy, light malts, wheat

M- Light body, medium/heavy carbonation, fizzy, smooth, refreshing

D- Decent for summertime

I can only picture drinking this on a very hot summer day. Not typically my favorite style of beer but I still like it.

3.62/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a murky, light yellow color with very thin fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

It has a very strong lemon hopp scent.

Also a strong lemony taste, tastes more like lemonade than beer. Slightly bitter finish, pretty refreshing.

Very light-bodied, crisp mouthfeel with fizzy carbonation.

Very drinkable beer. This is a very refreshing beer and very light, so it would be easy to drink quite a few.

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%

I've had this in bottles and on tap. I was first repulsed by it. But it has really grown on me. After walking 18 on a hot day it is pretty GD refreshing to whack down a few pints.

First of all it does taste more like lemonade than beer. You have to be really thirsty and be outside on a hot day to enjoy this hybrid beverage, otherwise it will seem too sweet. If are in mood for a solid malty beer, this will taste like lemonade and not satisfy you one iota & don't even bother.

It's not nasty sweet, fruity, or syrupy by any means. It's actually refreshing like lemonade. If you are thirsty you can knock down a few no problem w/o getting any nasty sugary wine cooler type filling issues. After 2 or 3 though you will be like "Okay I need a beer now that I've rehydrated myself."

But again it will just tick you off if you think it will taste anything like a malty/bitter beer. It is what it is and that is a refreshing lemonade type beverage.

3.33/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a hazy light yellow with 1 and a half fingers of foamy white head that has average retention and some good lacing. Smells of lemonade, wheat, and lemon candy. Tastes of sweet lemonade at first with some wheaty bread coming in behind the lemon sweetness. Finishes with a little extra punch of lemon zest. Light in body with medium carbonation, really sweet and lemon filled. Refreshing and extremely easy to drink, good on those hot summer days, but a little too much like lemonade not enough like beer for me to want to session. Wouldn't mind having one after mowing the grass though.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

from notes:

A- a lemon yellow and opaque look to it. Very carbonated and it looks too carbonated. It fizzes the whole time.

S- lemonade aroma and lemons. nothing too much to report. Wheaty and lemony smell

T- a mikes hard lemonade that actually has a a little flavor. Too much carbonation though. It is like drinking lemonade with beer thrown into it.

M- fizzy and bursting of bubbly. Too much so.

D- i put it down but i wouldnt have another. It is an interesting idea but i was happy with the beer. I like their honey weiss though.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

I picked up a batch of this today at the grocery store as it seemed to look like a good summer brew. As it turns out, it's not a bad beer, but my only complaint is it seems more on the lemonade side than the wheat ale side.

Appearance is a pallid yellow much resembling lemonade with barely, if not, almost any head whatsoever.

Smell is high in lemons with a hint of wheat. It has that candy lemon smell, much like Lemonheads, as another reviewer put it.

Taste was pretty good. As I said before, this stuff comes off more like an alcoholic lemonade than an actual beer. It's a good experiment, as it is good, but there's too much lemon and not enough wheat.

Mouthfeel was pretty watery and went down quickly. Nothing to savor after the first sip of the brew.

Drinkability isn't bad at all. For a hot summer day, this stuff can certainly fix the thirst for a while and it's a good "warm up" beer for those who haven't had much beer before. It's a good brew for a hot summer day, but it's more like a glorified lemonade. Why not? Summer's here!

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

Cloudy pale yellow with a thin head.

Faint Lemonheads candy aroma with some wheat in the background.

Taste: Got a single to try and didn't have high hopes, but as much as I expected to hate this beer, I don't. It works as advertised: lemonade mixed with a crisp refreshing wheat beer. It's not a flavorful hefe. It's not a spicy wit. But it's an enjoyable summer drink. There's dry lemony zest up front without much pucker and a crisp, smooth wheat finish. Refreshing.

A very simple yet good beer.

3.52/5  rDev +13.2%

Cloudy yellow with small head.

Smells of lemon.

If you like Corona with lemon or lime you'll like this. It's refreshing and well balanced, tastes better than it smells.

My wife liked it a lot and it was on tap so I had some and it wasn't bad. Next time I'm laying on the beach, this might hit the spot.

3.6/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a very cloudy pale lemonade color with a fluffy white head that quickly fades to a thin minimal covering. Lacing is minimal as well and slowly slides down the sides of the glass.

Smell: The aroma has a heavy lemon concentrate scent with a hit of wheat malt.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has big lemonade flavor that's not to sweet and not to tart with just a hint at wheat malt flavor. The body is light with a smooth slick mouth feel and lively carbonation.

Notes: Overall it's a refreshing summery beer that is very drinkable although it leans more towards a Mike's Hard Lemonade malt beverage than beer.

2.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Purchased as my better half found it appealing for the summer.
Pours looking a lot like lemonade, but in the glass looks more like a pale beer mixed with some lemonade. It did develop a head. A rather loud beer in it fizziness. Very cloudy pale yellow.
Strong wheat aroma at first and followed by sweet lemonade. Doesn't balance too much as the later is generally stronger throughout the drink with just hints of wheat.
Taste is similar to aroma with a strong wheat flavor, but still holding a stronger lemonade flavor. A few other tastes show up too, such as a greater sense of sourness and at the end more like a lemon rind taste (zest maybe?). Flavors don't seem to sway too much from this combination.
Carbonation is intense, plentiful and at time effervescent, and leads to a sense of fullness. Body is bigger than expected. It's not really light and thin.
This is alright. I won't go searching for it, but I can see that there could a an appeal for some not necessarily immersed in the hard core brew scene. In the end the lemon is too strong for my taste, and a more lightly balanced drink would have been more satisfying.

2.74/5  rDev -11.9%

It has been hotter than hell here in Florida lately, so I decided to give this a try in search of another refreshing beer to enjoy in the warm Florida summer. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a really nice looking cloudy pale golden white color, almost like a yellowish witbier. The aroma is more lemonade than beer, with a little bit of wheat peaking through the lemons. The taste is a hint of wheat mixed with an unsweetened lemonade flavoring. Overall, I am not a huge fan of mixing things into beer, so it is not surprising that I am not a huge fan of this beer. It is not really bad or offensive, but it simply isn't my thing.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

appearance - Cloudy yellow color, small head, with some lace.

smell - Lemon smell, some wheat.

taste - Lots of lemon taste here, too much I think, some bitterness on the after taste.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - Refreshing beer, but too much of a lemon taste here.

2.58/5  rDev -17%

I think this should almost be in the fruit beer category because of the strong lemon nature of this beer. Anyway this is what I think of it.

A - Poured a light hazy yellow looks close to lemonade big white head fades to an even cover fairly quick

S - Holly lemon scent batman didn't even have to get that close to be overpowered and theres a touch of wheat that fights through

T - Theres a lot of fake lemon flavor to this its like putting some country time in a wheat beer

M - The feel is actually average it has a lighter body with medium carbonation feels good at least

D - I don't really know about this one I don't think I can drink another full bottle of this stuff again I hope my wife drinks the rest of the six pack after all it was her idea to get this stuff

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

"Weiss beer with lemonade"

Isn't that a Russ?

Hazy, ghostly white in hue with a tint of yellow; white head, at the apex the head was two fingers tall. Good head retention, the bubbles were slow to fade to a soapy cap. Not much lacing, some unorganized clumps. Good appearance, overall...

Lemonade dominates the nose, as it should, I suppose. Clean wheat notes are noticeable once my nose adjusts to the massive lemon/citrus zest aroma. I can't really knock the nose; it says what it is suppose to say. I could envision, say, AB brewing something like this and either make it smell like a malternative or much weaker. Inviting for what it is... and yes, I do need to qualify my statement and dampened my praise.

The lemonade taste is not as strong as the nose indicated, which is okay. Wheat characteristics are easily detectable. I like the balance of sweet and tart. Clearly, the base beer is not a Bavarian-style wheat, it is just an American wheat ale. Modest wheaty-sweat-tart aftertaste, which was agreeable. While the beer is simple, lacks complexity, it does deliver the goods. I hated this beer last year... I was close-minded. Sure, it is not great but like I said, it delivers for a summer seasonal. I bet this would kill on a 101 degree day. I see why this beer is popular.

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, good mouthfeel; I like the clean, cleansing finish.

I am surprised by how much I like it as a summer seasonal. Granted, I'd rather mix my own Radler or Russ but this would do in a major pinch. Nothing to freak out about, nothing to bash... it is a descent, gimmicky beer. I must say, Leine does brew 4 really popular wheat ales (largely, for the non-BA crowd)... Summer Shandy, Berry Weiss, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat. They found their niche, kudos to them.

2.52/5  rDev -19%

The smell was definitely of the brewing process and not so much of a beery scent, but it had a hint of a different, yeasty aroma. Not unpleasant at all. First sip was an eyebrow raiser. The carbonation and taste of beer with a most definite taste of lemonade. Succeeding sips after the tastebuds settled in confirmed that the lemonade taste ruled over the beer taste. Not thick in the mouth parts at all, but the remnants of the lemonade flavor lingered. Quite nice, actually. For now, anyway.

More sips, more lemonade. Hey, where's the beer? It was as if the lemon citrus flavor took over the whole show like that real hammy kid at eighth grade graduation commencement performance. Ok, I see where this is going. Now, was this concoction brewed for the thirsty, or for the ladies?

I'd classify this beer as another "lawnmower" beer. You're hot, sweaty, smelly and stinky from cleaning out the septic tank or whatever, and you want to slake your thirst. Grab a couple of these guys. They'll go down just like... well, like lemonade. You'll hammer those down and go for the third before your stomach knows it has a visitor. But if you're chillin' on a so-so day looking for a good tasting manly beer, pass this one up and grab something else. There are plenty of others to choose from.

3.4/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into pint glass from bottle

A: Very very light, nearly light lager in color. I'm assuming this is due to the lemonade.

S: Lemons of course, a little odd with the lemon and the slight alcohol texture as well.

T & M: I have to admit I was surprised by this beer. Lemon flavor is not overwhelming but is definitely refreshing. Mouthfeel is pleasant with the high carbonation and tartness.

D: Definitely drinkable although I don't think I could stand to drink more than a few at a time. Nice refreshing brew for the summer for sure.

3.7/5  rDev +19%

I don't see why people kill this beer. For those who complain it doesn't taste like a "beer" that is because a shandigraff is a combination of beer and lemonade; and considering that, it REALLY DOES taste like a beer - not winecoolerish in any way.

It is a solid session brew for hot afternoons in the backyard. To me, the lemon flavor wasn't cloying or artificial (as you might find with the Berry Weiss).

Don't compare this to your favorite IPA or RIS, have reasonable expectations, and you might just find that this brew is pleasing.

2.6/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a light pale color with little to no head and a slight lace. At first you can smell a faint whiff of wheat and then the lemon dominates. The taste starts off like the smell with a taste of wheat to begin with and then the lemons come through and finishes with a bitter citrus aftertaste. The mouthfeel is sharp with a sour bitterness from the lemon and a good amount of carbonation. Lawn mower beer.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company