Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 604 | Hads: 3,305
4.27/5  rDev +36.4%

Great summer beer. Superb alternative to bud light lime. Tastes like fresh squeezed lemons mixed with beer. If you like Shandys then you'll like this. (151 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Hands down the best shandy I've had. Smooth, easy drinking, refreshing and flavorful. Just fine on a hot afternoon. Ignore the poor ratings this one gets. If Founders or Bells or Sierra Nevada or whomever brewed the same beer people would love it. (247 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had it on a brewery tour while in Wisconsin. Tasted amazing then. But tastes a little bit more pedestrian out of the bottle I bought here in San Francisco. Still pretty good wheat beer, though it does have a slightly bitter aftertaste that reminded me of real barley and hops lager. In my book that's a good thing, but based on the category of beer, I guess that would make it an "adjunct" by witbier standards. (411 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

It's like they took a bad beer and tried to pretend that it wasn't by adding in stale Lemonhead flavor. Calling this a beer is to do beer a disservice. Avoid at all costs. (173 characters)

Amazing summer beer. Tastes extremely sweet and smooth. It gets a little hard to drink after a few beers because of how sweet it is though. I would recommend eating something salty with it to balance the sweetness. (217 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +55.9%

Look: your basic hazy light yellow color
Smell: deliciously citrusy LEMON
Taste: lemony, citrusy, light, crisp refreshing
Aftertaste: just a crisp SLIGHT pucker from the lemon
Overall: I actually love this beer it's one of my favorite summer time beers. It's light and crisp and refreshing and good either out of the bottle or from the tap. (341 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

Had this one many times but needed to do my review on it anyway. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours like a 'unfiltered wheat' that is a hazy yellow with about a 1-finger white head that goes away very fast with very little lacing. The aroma is of lemons (it's made with lemonade) and grain. Very nice but not over powering. The taste is very pleasant and smooth and is a great summer brew. No bitter aftertaste. A great beer that will never let you down. One of my favorite summer brews! Lighter+-medium bodied with good carbonation. (593 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy brewed by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 4.20% This brew pours out a nice cloudy amber color, with a nice white head. Summer Shandy is an unfiltered brew, you can not see though it. The smell of Summer Shandy is, sweet,with grains and malts and some spices. You pick up a hit of hops in the smell of this brew. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor and citrus. You also pick up on grains , malts, and spices. There is nothing overpowering about Summer Shandy, it has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel of Summer Shandy is clean smooth, and refreshing. I like how this brew is different form most brews on market. Overall I'm giving Summer Shandy a solid 4 out 5. Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, did a nice job with this one. I would buy this brew again. (815 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +33.9%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on looks. This was my first "beer" and to me, is a good gateway beer for people who haven't developed a taste for that beer taste but want to.
Smells like a beer, plain and simple, but with lemon and citrus notes.
Tastes almost like a beer, but the beer flavor is drowned out by the citrusy lemon mixed in. Making for a more sour than bitter taste. moderate carbonation. Good for a warm summers day.

It tastes like a normal beer, but with a lemon twist. Good for those who want to get into drinking beers but haven't yet acquired the taste. (583 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

THis beer tastes like wet sock water and lemon peels. You would have to be in a pretty desperate state for this to be refreshing. I kept taking drinks expecting it to get better not believing it was as horrible as it seemed at first taste, sadly it is. (252 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

L- Hazy yellow body.

S- wheaty, lemonade

T- wheat and lemonade

F- smoothness with some fizz.

O- it's okay, not as good as I remembered. Great for guzzling on a hot day though! (185 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer at a company party. It was surprisingly tasty. Strong lemon notes but it was smooth almost malty. Overall very enjoyable and easy to drink! (153 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -1%

I don't like this one too much, it's a weird Weissbier with some sort of "lemonade" flavoring... the best thing about this beer is that is has alcohol. (151 characters)

It tastes like lemon. I'm not going to lie, the lemon was over powering and I didn't much care for it. If you like a strong lemon flavor, this may be the beer for you.
Leinenliugel's - Honey Weiss. This wasn't as bad, You could taste the honey in it. It wasn't a particular strong wheat beer or that memorable seeing how I just drank it and nothing really stands out. (367 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A friend of mine introduced me to the summer shandy back in the summer. He always talked about this beer as if it was handed down by the Gods. I bought a six pack of it and was instantly hooked.

I tend to drink it either out of the can or bottle. However when pouring it into a glass the first thing I notice is how remarkably yellow it is. Reminds me of a cloudier version of lemonade, but with a thin white lacing around the edges.

If you like lemons, then you will love the smell. It smells like lemonade.

The beer is very light and isn't that complex in regards to its flavors. It is a somewhat watery beer. I can immediately taste lemon with a hint of wheat.

It goes down smooth, with a mild amount of carbonation. It is somewhat like a soda.

Overall, this is a thirst quenching beer. It definitely will grow on you! (828 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +43.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had a bottle of this beer on a recent trip to Las Vegas. I saw it on the menu and had to try it. It was very refreshing and I ordered a second bottle. Goes well with any summer foods like bbq chicken! Not an everyday kinda beer, but an enjoyable tongue twister you should sample when you get a chance! (307 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

To start with some good things, this beer does its job at quenching your thirst If you grab a cold one on a hot summer day. It's pretty refreshing too.
Did I enjoy it? -Not really.
It's too citrusy, just too much lemon flavor and nothing else. It tastes like a cheap drink to get a sorority girl drunk.
I couldn't even finish the entire bottle because it was too carbonated to the point it was almost harsh. I didn't feel like I was drinking a beer; it felt like I was drinking a soda. It was sugary and the aftertaste was somewhat perfume-like and gross.
Overall, it was a mediocre drink with faint grainy/ wheat taste. Nothing but lemons, lemons, and lemons. I'm not drinking this again. (691 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

I think all of Leinenkugels' fruit beers are the same: fruity and delicious, but leave you wishing they had something more distinguishing than which fruit is in this particular beer you're drinking at that moment. (213 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured into tumbler. Dirty yellow color. Smell is lemon and yeast. Taste is like a dirty lemonade. Light carbonation. No head. Decent lacing. Did not like this at all. (167 characters)

Different strokes for different folks on this one. I think Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is awesome. It is a great summer beer when its hot as hell and you want something refreshing. Lemon beer sounds like a hideous combination admittledly but this is good stuff. I usually like beer from a glass, but here I prefer drinking from the can or bottle. Technically, this isn't good beer but a good shandy and should be judged as such. This is much better than the 72 rating would suggest. (485 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

It tastes exactly like the style it is meant to emulate, all in one bottle. Better on tap or from a can, doesn't taste quite right from a bottle. Great for hot summertime drinking. (182 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours very hazy golden color with thick foamy head. Head retention and lacing are actually very good with this one. Has basically a zesty, lemon aroma. There is a light malty backbone followed by that lemon zest when drinking. Refreshing on a hot summer day, but there is no complexity. More like hard lemonade if you ask me. (330 characters)

i enjoy most Leinenkugels but Summer Shandy would be my best guess at what Pine Sol tastes like. Most of my friends enjoy it so it must be my messed up taste buds! (164 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

A: poured into a mug to a cloudy and hazed yellow with a finger of dense white head that is quick to faid and has minimal retention
S: smells of artificial lemonade
T: taste is tart lemonade with a little bit of maltyness but mostly the lemonade. swallow is more lemonade and just a little bit of malt
M: kind of thick with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: not a whole lot of beer flavor going on but there's a whole lot of lemonade flavor. a little too one sided for my taste and there are better summer beers out there (552 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +31%

All beer is relative to the day, a hot day in Southern California with limited refreshing options in the store, not a double IPA day based on my weather and yard work, ~90 outside. I prefer lemon beer to lemonade on this frustration day. It agrees with me. Give it a try on a hot day, I don't think you will mind it's company. It's got more than you deserve. (358 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company