Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

The pour was a cloudy light amber with a very small white foamy head that diminished in a matter of seconds and had poor runny lacing.

The Aroma was light grain malt, a very mild grassy hop and a soapy yeast with a note of citrus (lemon).

The taste was kind of light and a little malty with a decent yeast presence throughout with the finish having a mild citrus taste towards the end. The flavor lasted an average time after the swallow with a yeasty lemon taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was light in body and a tad watery in texture with a somewhat lively carbonation.

Overall this was a brew with a refreshing citrus wheat flavor and an easy drinkability. It would make a good summertime brew for those who prefer a lighter beer…

KajII, Mar 10, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

Lemonade beer? Good idea I guess. I would rather drink an Arnold Palmer with a shot of Grey Goose. Beer is pale light yellow. Of course smells like lemon and dirty dish water tones. Kind of looks like dirty dish water. They had this on a keg last year at a golf outing. I could only drink one. Too sweet, zesty and fizzy for a hot day. Upsets the stomach a little. Taste, sounds, drinks and feels like a soda pop. Sorry Leines this is your worst beer.

sweett3k, Mar 08, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +14%

Appearance:
Pours a muddy yellow color with a finger of white head, which dissipates into about an 1/8" topping.

Smell:
Lemons and sugar. That pretty much sums this one up. It smells just like lemonade.

Taste:
Lemonade and orange rind flavors with some sweet malt in the background. Lemony bitterness that doesn't really taste like it's coming from hops.

Mouthfeel:
Creamy and lightly carbonated. The taste lingers, but doesn't stick to your mouth the way lemonade would.

Drinkability:
During summer, this would be a drink of choice when I'm looking for something fruity. During the winter, I mostly take it out of my reserves to rebel against winter. As for being a beer, it... doesn't taste like beer. Still, great as it's own drink.

evanlarkin, Mar 03, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +20.4%

A- pours a golden yellow with small head

S- Strong lemon notes with some hints of yeast

T- Lemon hits you right away but its nottoo strong.

M-Light bodied with average carbonation

D- Love this "beer". i know it may not be considered a beer by some but dang this is soo good and easy to drink on a hot summer day!

zrab11, Feb 26, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +13.1%

Reminds me of the boat, bass, cabin and the summer months. My choice in the summer everytime.

I drank it out of the bottle and the smell was fine, bit of fruitiness smell and tiny bit of grain. Taste is good and the mouthfeel fantastic during the summer months. Drinkability is fair, wouldn't be my choice to pound these one night, would rather go for some rolling rock.

Afree, Feb 23, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

The shandy to me is a symbol of summer. I still look forward every year to seeing these guys on the shelves at the local liquor store. The color of the beer is a cloudy yellow with a white small foam head. This beer smells like a nice tall glass of lemonade to me more than a beer. The taste is more like a lemonade drink than a beer to me but I really do enjoy the taste due to the refreshing feel that comes with it. The name says it all this "beer" is definitely taylor made for those hot summer days spent on the hammock.

Definitely not a bad beer at all, but as I grow older I find myself more drawn to the hoppy citrus flavors than the straight lemonade approach.

IchabodcraneIpa, Feb 16, 2011

A+. Hands down. I don't understand why this beer is getting such bad reviews from other users. Here is the way I look at the Shandy: it is not a "beer" per say, but a delicious flavored beverage that goes hand-in-hand with hot summer days, laying on the beach, going out on the boat, or sitting around a bonfire on the back deck on a late July night. Now if I am looking for an actual "beer", than I am not going for the Shandy. That is the point - the Shandy is a beer made perfect for specific conditions. It is extremely easy to drink, so it's a good session beer. The color is perfect for summer - a nice cloudy yellow with a white foam head. It has a sweetness to it, so I can totally see how that may turn off some of the other reviewers. Great for BBQ's and lazy summer days.

scottmbolt, Feb 10, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -13.1%

A- golden, cloudy yellow with 1 finger head.

S- big lemon aroma. hint of grain.

T- too much lemon and not enough beer and this is what kills it for me with this beer.

M- light body, ok carbonation feel. Feels like a carbonated lemonade drink.

D- Save your money; this is only in a pinch at picnic during super hot summer day.

BeerLover99, Dec 28, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +25.2%

One of my first beers as a legal adult, so this brings back lots of memories with friends and summers spent by a bonfire drinking a Shandy.
Think of this beer as a watered alcoholic version of Sunkist Lemonade (where available in your area)
Very light and fruity, not like Leines Berry Weiss but I still won't drink more than 12 pack at one time.

leezy, Nov 28, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: A completely cloudy lemon-colored body capped by two fingers of bubbly off-white head that leaves no lacing. This looks like a slice of lemon meringue pie in a glass.

Aroma: The lemon meringue theme continues in the nose. Lots of juicy and sweet lemon over a weak whiff of beer. This is exactly what I remember from my childhood.

Flavor: Lots of crisp and candied lemon over a mild wheat backbone. The lemonade here is more American in style than British, but it still works. It's not very complicated, but it was never really meant to be. Lemon and grain in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with sharpish spritzy carbonation that's reminiscent of soda.

Drinkability: As long as you're not completely turned off by the conceit of a Shandy, this is as drinkable as intended.

Verdict: You have to take Summer Shandy for what it is, an easy drinking beer cocktail designed for people who don't really like beer. Taking that into account, along with my fondness for Shandies as a lad, I have to say I kinda like it.

BeanBone, Oct 15, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

haha this beer cracks me up.

A- golden lemon yellow. with a super white foamy head.

S- lemon peel, lemon citrus, lemonade, a lot of lemon here.

T- it's lemony for sure, some hops but hardly anything.

M- super light, crisp and not too carbonated considering i would just wanna call this a mike's hard.

D- on a hot day at a picnic sure why not... but for a beer person just don't waste money on it. Worth trying, but not worth buying.

tykees88, Oct 15, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale gold color that is mildly cloudy with a small head.

Smell: Strong lemon/citrus overtones in the aroma without any real hop presence. While it's inviting, it doesn't exactly smell like beer.

Taste: Has a mild lemon flavor that isn't too overpowering. Has no hops that I could notice. While it doesn't taste like a typical beer, it's still smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thin and somewhat watery.

Drinkability: It's good, but I think I could only drink it on a hot summer day. It works really well with a burger.

civilizedpsycho, Oct 12, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

I'll be the first to admit that I think that Leinenkugel's is a very overrated brewer. This beer won't change my mind. Very "lemon-y" and sweet which I personally don't care for in a beer. I expected a much more tart flavor but it is rather sweet which keeps one from being able to drink to many at a time.

Plokhooy, Sep 25, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -17.8%

This pours yellow with little head. Smells like lemon and tastes like lemonade mixed with a light lager. Light-bodied, but decently carbonated. This may be a session beer for some, but I could not drink more than two because it's too sweet and the taste just isn't for me.

Dunkle, Sep 15, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -25.2%

Thanks to my wife who ordered this and made me finish it!

A- A cloudy orange color. White head that left very fast.

S- Not a lot of nose to it. Mostly lemony, citrus smell.

T- Wow, lots of lemon up front. Not much taste to it once you get past the heavy citrus. Tasted like a spiked ade drink.

M- Moderate carbonation. Light body. Very crisp taste to it.

D- Well it's better than coors light. I drank this after an Alpha King on tap so the flavors were very subdued to me. I really have no desire to ever drink another one of these.... unless stale yellow beer is the only other alternative.

HosP, Aug 19, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, Inc.--Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy Weiss Beer With Lemonade--Beer With Natural Lemonade Flavor--2009 12 oz. Bottle. 4.20% ABV. 10 IBU's. (3.5 / 5.0) Sediment hint. Thin foamy mild lace white head. Cloudy bright lemon white color. Rich lemon wheat ester front. Tangy fizzy sweet citrus lemon wheat grass thin soda pop easy to guzzle body. Refreshing crisp dry lemon citrus end. Over the top lemon. 10 Mile 90 F Tasty. Sampled 8/16/2010. 6-Pack overpriced @ $8.99.

philbertk, Aug 17, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +50.3%

What a wonderful beer for summer. The appearance is wonder. The smell is exceptional. Taste is so wonderful. Very Lemonony and beer taste rolled into one. Mouthful is the same. Drinkability is so exceptional. I could drink this beer all day long. I crave this beer

yuenglingfan101, Aug 15, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a bright, cloudy yellow color with a half finger of foam that quickly fades. Aroma fills the room with a sickenly sweet lemon lime flavor... much like Sprite. With your eyes closed, this smells just like a soda. uh oh.

First sip is overwhelmingly lemon and sweet. Again, I could mistake this for a Sprite. I don't know how to rate this as a beer, because it doesn't resemble one in any way.

On the positive side, it is drinkable and unoffensive. You wouldn't know this had alcohol in it. Similar to a Smirnoff Ice or other bitch-pop. If I were 10 years younger and wanted to get a sorority girl drunk, this would do nicely.

I'm scoring this low except for drinkability because I hardly consider this a beer.

FickleBeast, Aug 14, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Cloudy pale/dull yellow color. One finger head, zero lacing.
S: Smell of Adjunct with strong lemon
T: Lemonade with a bit of beer. Somewhat sweet, little to no hoppiness.
M: Thin/watery with a crisp finish.
D: One is very drinkable on a hot day but I would want too many more than one.

I dont dislike fruity beers in general, but this is pretty bad for me. More lemonade than beer.

jmich24, Aug 08, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +22.6%

The summer shandy it's a bit cloudy and has very little head to it The smell of it isn't too bad but it does have a good lemonade taste to it but a bit of a after taste it is a great beer to drink on a hot day out in the sun overall it's a good beer

hworking, Aug 07, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy pours to a cloudy yellow/gold color with very little foam. The nose of this beer is unmistakably lemony, with the scent of cereal grains in the background.
This summer brew is lemony more than anything, with a taste that reminds me of lemon zest along with the faint taste of wheat malt in the background. Summer Shandy leans toward the sweet side end of the spectrum, but not by much. There are some sour notes and the slight taste of honey blended with the citrus. There is little or no discernable hop character to this product.

Rootdog316, Aug 07, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Usually I've had this in a bottle, but the tavern my friends play volleyball for had it on tap. I was surprised to see a nice full head on the goblet. The lemon zestiness of this beer certainly makes this a mood beer for me. But the refreshing taste makes it very drinkable. It had a slight tan tint to the golden hue. Nothing too complex, a lighter flavored beer with a thorough lemon infusion.

UpNorthLager, Jul 31, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +29.9%

Very drinkable beer, not a strong beer aftertaste, almost watery, which most people like anyways, nice limon flavor, not so much limeonade but more straight limon,very cloudy unfiltered beer but most craft brews are, tried it at a cool temperature to extract more flavors, probly taste great on a hot day when these are ice cold.

Cummins9110, Jul 31, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The finacee's favorite beer.

It's an attractive pale yellow with good haze and a white head. The flavor is a lot like lemon extract that you use for baking, which isn't to my tastes. I find a Radler a lot more charming, but this beats one I had once with actual, pulpy lemonade.

SassyBootblack, Jul 29, 2010

Thanks to bu11zeye for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a hazy light yellow color with a white head The aroma is straight lemonade. The flavor is more of the same. Nothing but lemons and the slightest bit of grain or wheat. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Jul 26, 2010