Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,217 | Reviews: 676
2.77/5  rDev -12.3%

Got this beer in the Leinenkugel's variety pack. I had been looking forward to trying this one but was let down. The taste was like someone had taken their Sunset Wheat beer, but instead of the blueberry notes, they accidentally added some powdered lemonade. Much too sweet for my liking (and I though t the Sunset Wheat was very good, despite its sweetness). This tasted too little like beer and too much like lemonade.

It should be added that after my first one, I decided to mix this with the Berry Weiss (50/50) for something a little more tolerable.

3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

A mix of beer and lemonade, and Leinenkugel gets both parts wrong.

This beer looks nice: hazy and rich, with a big frothy white head. Like a good hefeweizen.

It smells like lemon zest, pale wheat and corn; basically, cheap beer with bottled lemon concentrate.

Tastes like sugar water with a twist. There are hints of pale ale, and a bit of beery aftertaste. But the beer tastes weak and the lemonade tastes powdered.

It's easy drinking, and at only 4.2% ABV, very sessionable. But why bother?

Fairly mixed feelings about this one. It is a good, casual summer drinker in certain settings, but not others.

Beach -- good
Barbeque -- not so good.

They advertise this as 'beer with a hint of lemonade' but it's honestly the other way around. It isn't terrible, but it barely feels like beer. May as well reach for a Mike's hard, you won't look that much worse for doing so.

3.01/5  rDev -4.7%

From Notes

A: We have a hazy lemon peel color, with a off white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Ok we have some lemonhead smell along with a ton of sugary,
sweetness not much else.

T: Ok we have lemon soda water, and a weak one at that. There is also a bit of mineral taste.

M: This one felt weird, really syrupy, like a flat soda.

D: lack of carbonation, makes this one hard to drink, imo.

Thoughts- This one was a try at a shandy that was not all that close. I think I will stick to mixing my own.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

I'm not a huge fan. Pours a medium yellow color with a bit of head. There is a strong lemon and citrus fruit aroma. Lemonade in the first sip, carbonated lemonade. Definitely an American style Wheat. Rather smooth, a little sour, but overall fairly well balanced.

3.06/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Very cloudy banana peel yellow. A rocky eggshell head has nice retention and leaves a fair amount of lace. A pretty decent look.

S: Quite sweet. The lemon really sticks out. Its aroma dominates the nose. Behind are scents of cracker like wheat and a hint of clove.

T: A tart lemon soda sweetness is the primary theme here. There's just enough of a dry biscuit flavor at work to let you know you're really drinking a beer. Bitterness is very mild and relatively flavorless. Finishes with a lingering lemon tartness.

M: The body is quite thick and syrupy for a beer with this little alcohol. The carbonation feels like it could go up a notch.

D: Like another beer I had recently, this beer is completely channeling a German Rosser. It's light, sweet, lemony and goes down easily. Not exactly my cup of tea, but nice as a summer thirst quencher.

3.13/5  rDev -0.9%

This was a suggestion from my son. He say's it's his favorite beer. My impression was that it has a citrus taste to it. But after he said he thinks it tastes like "Fruity Pebbles" I have to admit he had it nailed, it does taste like Fruity Pebbles. It definitely has a unique taste to it.

3.31/5  rDev +4.7%

Had a trip to Wisconsin and wanted a light beer to bring out to the lake. I figured a shandy would do the trick. The beer looked decent with light blond color. The smell was awful. It is like sniffing Pledge cleaner (dominating artificial lemon smell). The taste however was decent for what it was. I wanted light and interesting and that is what this beer delivered. Real light taste with strong citrus you get from shandys. The mouthfeel and drinkability on this beer are above average. Don't buy this beer if you are looking for a great beer tasting experience. This beer is good for those blistering hot summer days when you want something light and easy.

2.56/5  rDev -19%

This was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. It's still not very good. Pale cloudy big white head. Not bad. Smells like lemons and nothing else. Doesn't really taste like anything but lemons. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers to begin with, and I'm definately not a fan of mixing beer with artificial flavors. That being said, it was somewhat refreshing. It is what it is. This tastes like a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. That's because it is a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. If that sounds good to you knock yourself out.

4.3/5  rDev +36.1%

Pours from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges very hazy and resembles fresh squeezed lemonade with sugar. Slightly bronze but mostly very hazy and lemony.

Aroma matches the title of the beer; fresh lemons. Not much else, but I wasnt expecting much else.

Flavor is lemonade plus beer, just what a shandy is. A bit tart with some sweetness to match the tartness and make this an all around decent shandy.

This is much more convenient that a beer with lemonade added, and if I must say, this isnt bad. It doesnt taste like beer, but it isnt supposed to. A real easy drinker and not a bad "beer" at all.

2.96/5  rDev -6.3%

poured into a pint glass with a nice head that stayed around for a bit.hazy yellow,really smells like they just poured lemonade into a wheat beer,which is what they did i believe.tastes like a beer with lemonade poured into it.overall,i could drink a few of these on a hot summer day.however,this is a bit too sweet for my palate.a good beer to give to BMC fans.

3.45/5  rDev +9.2%

A - Pours a very cloudy golden yellow color with moderate carbonation. Minimal head is white in color and thin, dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S - Interesting smell for a beer, very lemony and sweet. Strangely, there is very little hint of standard beer scents like malts or hops. Though not like a standard beer, there is certainly something there to set it apart from a lemonade.

T - Very refreshing taste with an immediate lemon flavor. The lemon is a little sour and masks some of the wheat in the background. It finishes with some sour notes and a little aftertaste.

M - Very carbonated feel, almost a little harsh when you first take a sip. After the initial feel, the bubbles thin out quickly to reveal a moderate body.

D - Moderately drinkable, especially in the summer. The lemony flavor is very nice but gets a little sour after awhile. Good for a summer seasonal beer.

4.12/5  rDev +30.4%

When evaluating this beer, you must remember the style, and evaluate it accordingly. It's a "Shandy" - a mixture of "lager and lime" - very common and popular in the UK. Having spent some time in the UK, I feel qualified to say it isn't bad - FOR A SHANDY. Although I've been in bars in the US where someone has ordered "half (whatever is on tap) and half Sprite", I think this is an improvement.

2.36/5  rDev -25.3%

A- cloudy like a wheat beer. poured into a weizen glass. great head at first then disappeared quickly.

S- definitely note the lemon

T- reminds me of some household cleaner found under the sink that has some lemon/fruity "hint"

M- not to carbonated. very light

D- very easy to drink. would be considered a "slam" beer if you like the fruitiness.

Overall- I would have to say it still beats a bud light:) this beer fits the "woman beer" category with the low alcohol factor and the watery taste. I guess it would be a decent starter beer to get the ol' gf or wife slowly into the field of better beers.

2.66/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle - $1.49 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clouded, dull yellow body with a smallish, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Perhaps there may be some sweetish malt hints in there, but the nose is substantially made up of sharp scent of Lemon Pledge.

Taste: Light pale and soft wheat malts with a touch of honeyish sweetness with the vaudeville-like lemonade flavoring jumping in at a moments notice. Slightly acidic. Sorely lacking in hop character or bitterness. Finishes crisp and lemony with a thin, sweetish background of malted wheat.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: While I'm not opposed to the idea of beer blended with lemonade, this just has a repellent artificial quality to it. Less Summer Shandy and more of a Summer Shitty. Wait, am I allowed to say that?

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass
Cloudy lemonade color
Aroma-- Faint wheat and lemon zest
Taste--Let me preface this by saying that this beer was consumed after working in the yard on a 95-degree day. Tasted of subtle wheat and definite lemon. Light-bodied and very drinkable and refreshing.(Would have gone great over ice)
Let's face it, this is not a hard-core "big character" beer, but at 4.2ABV on a super hot day you can't go wrong with the "refreshment" aspect and "sessionability" of this beer. Pairs well with extreme humidity and thirst.

2.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Grabbed this in an attempt to find a good beer to drink on a hot summer day. It is a cloudy yellow color, looks like the typical hefeweizen. The off white head quickly dispersed. The lemon smell over powers any typical beer smell and the taste is almost like drinking lemonade. It's crisp lemony taste is easy to drink, and if you like lemons you'll like the beer. Overall it taste like the typical hefewizen with four or five lemon slices squeezed into it. Decent offering for a hot summer day.

2.12/5  rDev -32.9%

I bought this for my wife who frequently has "lager and lime" at our local pub. I'm afraid she won't like it.

Murky yellowish color with a white head. Seems like the brewer is trying to copy a weiss beer with a lot of yeast but it has no yeast flavor at all.

Smell is entirely of lemons; about like Minute Maid lemonade.

Taste is essentially lemonade with just a tiny bit of hops. Not really unpleasant but not a beer either.

Very fizzy and refreshing mouthfeel, if you like fizzy soft drinks.

Not my preference for even a lawn-mower beverage but I could drink it down.

Leinie seems to be going for the teen-age girl drinkers or women who don't really like beer.

2.02/5  rDev -36.1%

Appears a hazy golden yellow with a 2 finger thick white head and some light lace. Very pretty beer.

Smells like lemon oil or cheap lemonade. Some sweet wheat/malt fighting its way thru, but this is pure artificial lemon and very un-beerlikee.

This is awful. Take a very light wheat beer and mix in a Sprite with a good squeeze of lemon. There it is.

Well carbonated and light bodied, which was good, because it helped get this beer down. Overall, I drank the pint, but it sucked. Lemon soda with a beer in there somewhere. Avoid this.

3.4/5  rDev +7.6%

This time I had it on tap with sushi.

Cloudy yellow color.

A little banana and wheat with lemony overtones, subtle overall.

Taste is also subtle, the good thing is that the lemonade flavor and wheat beer taste are balanced.

Finishes light and smooth with a slight acidic bite.

Pair with spicy food or a lawnmower and you'll be fine.

2.1/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a very cloudy yellow color... pretty good to hear, decent lacing on the glass as the beer goes down. Smell is of a fresh made glass of lemonade... nice smell, but reminds me way too much a German Radler (had Radler Brau by Clipper City.. one of the worst 'beers' I've ever had). Taste... is very much Radler like, disappointingly. Very dry in the mouth and in the finish, lemonade taste is just way too present here. Leaves your mouth more thirsty after you finish this beer than before you started.. never a good thing for a beer. On the plus side, it is leaps and bounds ahead of the Paper City beer of a similar style, but definitely nothing I'd ever seek out again and would probably turn down one if offered. Stick with the Sunset Wheat.

2.85/5  rDev -9.8%

After the Berry Weiss, I was very cautious about another fruity selection from Leinenkugels, but I bought the sample pack so I proceeded onwards.

This beer is actually pretty good, (especially in comparison to the Berry Weiss.) The lemonade flavor is subtle and I found it was really nice on a hot day, I felt like I was having a beer which maybe had been garnished with a slice of lemon. No problem!

A - A smooth dirty yellow, with a light white head.

S - Smells like beer, a major advantage. Slight hint of lemon in the scent, but it mostly only smelled like beer, mostly.

T - Tasted like a beer that you wouldn't buy all the time, but the girl working at the dock likes it so you order it, and she sticks a slice of lemon on there and slips you her number after you fix her shirt tag, which was sticking out. Then you wake up in your lawn chair and you've got no number and no lemon slice, but its hot and this beer is keeping you pretty cool.

M - smooth, no acidity from lemon or otherwise, very cool and refreshing.

D - smooth, tasty, not too sweet or sour from the lemon, easy drinking. A step up from mikes hard lemonade, somewhere in between mikes and a real beer.

Overall - not bad, I drank all 3 from the sampler while the other two berry weiss lie in wait for some sucker to try.

3.28/5  rDev +3.8%

A: nice murky yellow, with a white fizzy head that starts ok, but then fades to just around the sides, not a good lacing

S: very aromatic lemonade smell, like a mikes hard or something of the sort, its a bit over powering, can't really even smell the beer.

T: very lemonady start that finishes with a grainy taste

M: pretty good mouthfeel, not too carbonated, but quite thin.

D: very easy to drink and relax to.

Notes: would really consided this a "true beer" per say. would be a good choice to enjoy with a co-ed group of friends out in the sun.

2.97/5  rDev -6%

After a hard day of work I decided to raid the my dads cooler in his boat for an Icy cold one. I was expecting busch or miller lite or high life but to my surprise I found glass longnecks. I was puzzled but I grabbed one and my favorite beer glass to give this a try. This is my first Leinenkugel Product to try

Appearance: Lemony yellow (duh) I poured vigorously and got a decent head but it quickly faded into a slick on the top. Not much lacing but I wasn't expecting it to have much.

Smell: Lemon and more lemon. I got a slight smell of some thing wheaty but not much

Taste: Tastes like beer flavored lemonade. Not much of a beer taste in there. It is refreshing though so it has that in its favor.

Mouthfeel: Not much there, it is kind of foamy but doesn't feel like I am drinking a beer. It isn't an offensive feel but it is not on par with what I call beer.

Drinkability: It is smooth for sure. I am sure on a hot day when I don't want to drink one of my heavy imports I might reach for one of these, unless I am craving a BEER then I will grab a BEER. Just kidding it is ok but I wouldn't drink it around my buddies. My GF might like it though.

Overall it is not an offensive drink. It is still refreshing and tasty but it doesn't give me the feeling of beer. I am pretty impressed with this company for doing something a little differerent. I am never a fan of flavored beer myself but out of all the ones I have tried this is probably the best one.

3.05/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Hazy pale straw color with two-finger head that fades somewhat quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

S - Lemon, lemon, and more lemon. "Beer with natural lemonade flavor" it says on the bottle. They're not kidding.

T - Wouldn't you know it - lemon. Can't really pick up much else in the way of taste. It's not offensive, mind you, just a little overwhelming with all the lemon.

M - Light bodied, not overly carbonated.

D - Rather refreshing on a hot summer day; I could easily knock back a few of these.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company