Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 598 | Hads: 3,265
2.58/5  rDev -17.3%

I think this should almost be in the fruit beer category because of the strong lemon nature of this beer. Anyway this is what I think of it.

A - Poured a light hazy yellow looks close to lemonade big white head fades to an even cover fairly quick

S - Holly lemon scent batman didn't even have to get that close to be overpowered and theres a touch of wheat that fights through

T - Theres a lot of fake lemon flavor to this its like putting some country time in a wheat beer

M - The feel is actually average it has a lighter body with medium carbonation feels good at least

D - I don't really know about this one I don't think I can drink another full bottle of this stuff again I hope my wife drinks the rest of the six pack after all it was her idea to get this stuff (773 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

"Weiss beer with lemonade"

Isn't that a Russ?

Hazy, ghostly white in hue with a tint of yellow; white head, at the apex the head was two fingers tall. Good head retention, the bubbles were slow to fade to a soapy cap. Not much lacing, some unorganized clumps. Good appearance, overall...

Lemonade dominates the nose, as it should, I suppose. Clean wheat notes are noticeable once my nose adjusts to the massive lemon/citrus zest aroma. I can't really knock the nose; it says what it is suppose to say. I could envision, say, AB brewing something like this and either make it smell like a malternative or much weaker. Inviting for what it is... and yes, I do need to qualify my statement and dampened my praise.

The lemonade taste is not as strong as the nose indicated, which is okay. Wheat characteristics are easily detectable. I like the balance of sweet and tart. Clearly, the base beer is not a Bavarian-style wheat, it is just an American wheat ale. Modest wheaty-sweat-tart aftertaste, which was agreeable. While the beer is simple, lacks complexity, it does deliver the goods. I hated this beer last year... I was close-minded. Sure, it is not great but like I said, it delivers for a summer seasonal. I bet this would kill on a 101 degree day. I see why this beer is popular.

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, good mouthfeel; I like the clean, cleansing finish.

I am surprised by how much I like it as a summer seasonal. Granted, I'd rather mix my own Radler or Russ but this would do in a major pinch. Nothing to freak out about, nothing to bash... it is a descent, gimmicky beer. I must say, Leine does brew 4 really popular wheat ales (largely, for the non-BA crowd)... Summer Shandy, Berry Weiss, Honey Weiss, and Sunset Wheat. They found their niche, kudos to them. (1,796 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -19.2%

The smell was definitely of the brewing process and not so much of a beery scent, but it had a hint of a different, yeasty aroma. Not unpleasant at all. First sip was an eyebrow raiser. The carbonation and taste of beer with a most definite taste of lemonade. Succeeding sips after the tastebuds settled in confirmed that the lemonade taste ruled over the beer taste. Not thick in the mouth parts at all, but the remnants of the lemonade flavor lingered. Quite nice, actually. For now, anyway.

More sips, more lemonade. Hey, where's the beer? It was as if the lemon citrus flavor took over the whole show like that real hammy kid at eighth grade graduation commencement performance. Ok, I see where this is going. Now, was this concoction brewed for the thirsty, or for the ladies?

I'd classify this beer as another "lawnmower" beer. You're hot, sweaty, smelly and stinky from cleaning out the septic tank or whatever, and you want to slake your thirst. Grab a couple of these guys. They'll go down just like... well, like lemonade. You'll hammer those down and go for the third before your stomach knows it has a visitor. But if you're chillin' on a so-so day looking for a good tasting manly beer, pass this one up and grab something else. There are plenty of others to choose from. (1,286 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into pint glass from bottle

A: Very very light, nearly light lager in color. I'm assuming this is due to the lemonade.

S: Lemons of course, a little odd with the lemon and the slight alcohol texture as well.

T & M: I have to admit I was surprised by this beer. Lemon flavor is not overwhelming but is definitely refreshing. Mouthfeel is pleasant with the high carbonation and tartness.

D: Definitely drinkable although I don't think I could stand to drink more than a few at a time. Nice refreshing brew for the summer for sure. (539 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +18.6%

I don't see why people kill this beer. For those who complain it doesn't taste like a "beer" that is because a shandigraff is a combination of beer and lemonade; and considering that, it REALLY DOES taste like a beer - not winecoolerish in any way.

It is a solid session brew for hot afternoons in the backyard. To me, the lemon flavor wasn't cloying or artificial (as you might find with the Berry Weiss).

Don't compare this to your favorite IPA or RIS, have reasonable expectations, and you might just find that this brew is pleasing. (538 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a light pale color with little to no head and a slight lace. At first you can smell a faint whiff of wheat and then the lemon dominates. The taste starts off like the smell with a taste of wheat to begin with and then the lemons come through and finishes with a bitter citrus aftertaste. The mouthfeel is sharp with a sour bitterness from the lemon and a good amount of carbonation. Lawn mower beer. (444 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a bright cloudy lemon yellow with a tall white head that leaves a little lacing.The nose is all lemon which smells nice,but it reminds me of Detergent(Lysol Lemon) and while I like to mop my floors with it,I don't know if its what I want to smell in my beer,tho many people probably do.This tastes like lemon drops(the hard candy)with a similar sourness that is actually pleasent,I am surprised.It could have some more lemon flavor and stronger malt presence if I had a say,but then I'm sure my girlfriend would hate it along with most of the consumers who buy this on a regular basis.It's close to obnoxious with it's thin body and foamy carbonation.The next time I drink this it will be free,just like this time. (720 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +13.1%

Looks, smells and tastes like some strange beer/lemonade hybrid.

Has a cloudy, almost milky appearance. Nice white head with good retention.

I didn't think I would like this one, I haven't had good experiences in the past with fruit "enhanced" beers--see Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. But I really enjoyed the bottle I had. Maybe it had something to do with the weather; I drank it on a 94-degree day with typical Midwest humidity. Not sure if it's more like lemonade-flavored beer or beer-flavored lemonade, but it is seriously refreshing after mowing the lawn. (563 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It pours a murky pale yellow color. It's cloudy enough you can't see through it, yet it still lets light pass through. There was a half-inch head on it that faded to a ring around the edge of the glass. There is some lacing, but not very much.

The smell is a combination of overly sweet lemonade and cereal grains. Mostly what you smell is the lemonade. Fortunately the taste isn't as strong as the smell; in fact the taste is rather weak. What you do taste is lemonade and cereal. It's almost like someone spilled lemonade in a wheat beer.

It's hard to describe the body of the beer, because it is a mix, but I'd say its light bodied. For the body it has, the carbonation was a bit on the heavy side.

Overall this is going in my "not a beer" category. In and of itself it's not horribly bad; I've had much worse. Yet at the same time if you are looking for a beer with beer flavor, you are not going to be pleasantly surprised by this. (942 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Very refreshing...especially on this 95 degree SPRING day in PA!!! However, remindes me of "Mike's Hard Lemonade"...but better, actually. (Less ABV%, but that's ok!) Nice change of pace...but not for an old-time "beer-drinker." It's worth a try...especially in the hot months....but NOT a beer to have with the game...or with your old man!!! Smooth, refreshing, and LEMONY!!! Good summer refresher. Leinie does a good job...and they're very unique. Gotta give 'em that. Cheers and saaalute my BA FRIENDS! Happy summer '08!!!! (525 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy pours a hazy golden yellow with a white head from a twelve ounce brown bottle. It smells just like lemonade. The body is very light as is the flavor. Up front the lemonade flavor isn't bad, but then it seems kind of artificial in the finish. More a malternative than a beer. (302 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -50%

A : Pours a hazy golden yellow color with good head

S : Mainly lemon and wheat. Not much really going on

T : Extremely sour lemon. So much that it was just undrinkable.

M : Good carbonation, light bodied

D : I don't plan on getting this one again. Couldn't finish the glass. (278 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -29.5%

A: A creamy light unfiltered golden yellow color and leaves a thick head in the glass.

S: In keeping with the style of the beer, the smells were of lemonade, wheat, cut grass, salt, and a mild soap.

T: A strong taste of lemon pinesol that was very sour. A tepid taste like vomit and a mild taste of wheat beer rounded out this brew.

M/D: Light beer that was smooth and creamy. The drinkability was extremely harsh and because of the sour vomit taste it was very hard to put down the throat. (493 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +2.6%

The best part about this beer is that you can drink a bounch of 'em...like coors light. The lemon is nice...but saying its infused with lemonade is a little misleading. The appearance is average, all the Leinies look the same with the exception of the berry. I would suggest this beer to an introductory drinker. (312 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -29.8%

5/28/08 on tap @ Reno's West, Lansing, MI -
Served in 25oz mug, bright hazy lemony yellow, white head fades

smells solely of lemonade!

tastes on first drink pretty good, lemony flavor is fresh and refreshing, very easy to drink, elements of malt hide in the background, high carbonation brings out lemon quite a bit, hmm alcopops?. This is meant to be drunk ICE cold, once it starts to warm up, and even a bit before I was trying to place the flavor it reminded of.. and it hit me.
Thera-flu.

mouthfeel is crisp, sessionable if cold, tastes like candy

overall, not something i would make a habit out of. (607 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Looks like grapefruit juice with a head. Color is murky yellow and pours with a decent white foamy head that quickly dissipates to a thin layer of bubbles and a white ring. Some very light lacing clings to the glass.

S: Lemonade. It comes through quite clearly. It mixes oddly with some light malts and some thing sharp and citrusy, perhaps hops. It's hard to tell through the lemons. Overall, it smells sort of 'fresh'.

T: Very first impression: Pledge furniture polish in a glass. Sharp and acidic, artificial and plastic. This just is not very impressive. The finish is just as bad with that "Pledge" taste lingering on forever.

M: I guess the flavors that are present do hold together well through the experience. Too bad it wasn't a better experience. Carbonation was about right - moderate and persistent.

D: This was really tough to get down. It's incredibly tough for me to pour something out but this was... tempting. I powered through it though and have to say that I wouldn't recommend this. To anyone. (1,069 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -22.1%

This pale wheat ale is a cloudy yellow color and has a beige head. Poor retention. The nose has a mixture of grainy malt and wheat. The taste is light and has a decent amount of mild malts. A middling body is heavy on carbonation. Not the most drinkable in my book. Just too light. (281 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +4.5%

A - A cloudy pale yellow. Okay head and lacing.

S - Very Lemony. Not much else including that of a beer.

T - Very Lemony again. Although I was expecting a little lemon this was more of an artificial, at least in the aftertaste.

M - Just Okay

D - Although not a great beer it is very refreshing and would be a good outside on a hot day beer. (344 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a cloudy lemon-yellow, no surprise considering the addition of lemonade or "natural lemonade flavor" (both are listed on the label). Head is thin and gets smaller quickly.

The aroma is not bad at all, but it's way more lemonade than beer. There's the slightest hint of wheat/grain heartiness in the background, but in a blind test would I have called this anything but lemonade? Doubtful.

Flavor shows a little more balance between lemonade and beer than the aroma does, having a hint of bread-like heartiness under the lemony surface. The two things gel together surprisingly well, and despite expecting disaster, it's actually pretty good. The mouthfeel does what it's supposed to do, nothing remarkable about the texture, so I won't remark any further.

This is a simple beer, somewhat of a novelty, and nothing any beer lover should be embarrassed to admit liking. It's a step away from the usual summer stuff, and it might surprise you (it did me). The lemon element could've been 1) too tart, 2) too sugary/sweet, 3) too artificial tasting, and/or 4) wretched, but it's none of that. It's just a nice diversion from the big-ass ales many of us usually indulge in. Certainly a wiser choice than evil alcopops or those lime-infused beers the macro brewers are crapping out. (1,285 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. Tall whipped cream-like white head that has some good retention. Thin spots of lace stick here and there to the glass. Hazy lemony yellow body color.

Smell is like Country Time lemonade mix. Very artificial. Taste is also predominantly lemonade with the slightest hint of wheat.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp. A refreshing lemon aftertaste. I really wasn't expecting to like this, but it is a lot better than I thought it would be. It's nothing serious to be sure, but would be great for a BBQ. (539 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%

Lemonade yellow/white with way too much pure white head. It really does look like lemonade with beer foam.

Smells like someone dumped lemonade into Miller Lite. That's it's no great smell here. Cheap lemonade with beer. I guess that's ok since that's what a SHANDY really is.

I wish it was 100 degrees out so this beer didn't taste so infested with bad lemonade. Since it's not I'm not sure which offends me more the lemon pledge lemonade or the beer it's sitting in. Now if it were 100 degrees I would really appreciate what this beer stands for. Since I've had it many times on a super hot day, this beer gets a pass from me at this moment.

Very smooth and easy to drink. Lemonade does bring back those thoughts of being a little kid and having a lemonade outside in the backyard on a hot summer day. Now that I'm an adult, I can appreciate the beer in there so I can have some alcohol without drinking vodka.

Sh!t man you can drink these like water on a hot day! Today it's a little cooler and it's still really easy to drink [as I finish what's left in my glass]. I recommend this beer very cold on a very hot day!

Original Review 07-27-2007

A- Hazy light yellow, 2 finger white head fades quickly. Nice ring and lacing. Veryg ood sticking! Very light carbonation.

S- Lemonade. That's it.

T- Lemonade and a very light beer. (what? Is this still considered beer?)

M- Very light body, easy going down!

D- I could pick up a sixer here and there on a really hot summer day at the beach! (1,498 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -5.4%

Brewed with natural Lemonade flavor.

A: Poured a very cloudy, lemony wit color with a foamy 1 finger white head that fell to a slight, fizzy layering quickly after the pour.

S: country time sour lemonade.

T: sour country time lemonade, and oranges. Tastes more like a hard lemonade then a beer. Some sour lemony texture.

M: light, with some fizziness from the carbonation with a tart lemonade fade.

D: A refreshing summer time alternative that looks like a wit but drank like a lemonade cooler. (503 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a hazy yellow color with nice white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Aroma was fruity dominated by lemons. Has a very citrusy taste to it. Pretty refreshing on a hot day. Body is on the thin side. Nothing spectacular, but not offensive and easy drinking. (265 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +18.6%

Bottle from a 6-pack with 07218 mark (best by July, 21, 2008)

A- Looks like a very sweet lemonade. Transluscent, but I can't see through it. Fizzy head with soda bubbles.

S- Smells like a hard lemonade. I was expecting beer, but all liquor is good.

T- Not enough lemon flavor to be hard lemonade and not enough beer flavor to be a beer. Nothing offensive, but nothing impressive.

M&D- Feels light bodied and watery which is what I like. Easy to pound down when well refrigerated. Goes down like a nice glass of mineral water.

Overall- I will drink this when I want a light, refreshing, non-filling alcoholic beverage. Which is not often.

P.S.- This does not taste like other American Pale Wheat Ales. More like a Fruit/Vegetable beer if even a beer. (755 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -13.1%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, same style as the rest of the Leinies logos. Bright yellow with a lemon, indecipherable date code.

Appearance: Cloudy and bright yellow, big head, nice retention.

Smell: Almost completely lemon, just a bit of a wheat hint as it warms up.

Taste: Again, almost all lemon. This tastes like a carbonated lemonade, with just a hint o beer in the finish.

Overall impression: Well, I haven't had any other beers of this style, so I don't have much to compare to. That being said, the beer is second stage here - this is an alcoholic lemonade with a bit of beer flavor in there if you really look for it. (630 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company