1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2057

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,057 | Reviews: 519 | Show All Ratings:
Dodo2step

2.8/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

from notes:

A- a lemon yellow and opaque look to it. Very carbonated and it looks too carbonated. It fizzes the whole time.

S- lemonade aroma and lemons. nothing too much to report. Wheaty and lemony smell

T- a mikes hard lemonade that actually has a a little flavor. Too much carbonation though. It is like drinking lemonade with beer thrown into it.

M- fizzy and bursting of bubbly. Too much so.

D- i put it down but i wouldnt have another. It is an interesting idea but i was happy with the beer. I like their honey weiss though.

06-25-2008 18:31:36 | More by Dodo2step
MOShepp

Missouri

3.53/5  rDev +12.8%

Cloudy yellow with small head.

Smells of lemon.

If you like Corona with lemon or lime you'll like this. It's refreshing and well balanced, tastes better than it smells.

My wife liked it a lot and it was on tap so I had some and it wasn't bad. Next time I'm laying on the beach, this might hit the spot.

06-22-2008 01:44:18 | More by MOShepp
drxandy

2.17/5  rDev -30.7%

5/28/08 on tap @ Reno's West, Lansing, MI -
Served in 25oz mug, bright hazy lemony yellow, white head fades

smells solely of lemonade!

tastes on first drink pretty good, lemony flavor is fresh and refreshing, very easy to drink, elements of malt hide in the background, high carbonation brings out lemon quite a bit, hmm alcopops?. This is meant to be drunk ICE cold, once it starts to warm up, and even a bit before I was trying to place the flavor it reminded of.. and it hit me.
Thera-flu.

mouthfeel is crisp, sessionable if cold, tastes like candy

overall, not something i would make a habit out of.

05-30-2008 19:39:33 | More by drxandy
Baileyuk

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

A - A cloudy pale yellow. Okay head and lacing.

S - Very Lemony. Not much else including that of a beer.

T - Very Lemony again. Although I was expecting a little lemon this was more of an artificial, at least in the aftertaste.

M - Just Okay

D - Although not a great beer it is very refreshing and would be a good outside on a hot day beer.

05-22-2008 01:02:46 | More by Baileyuk
Natural510

2.7/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a good-enough head with a golden yellow color.
Smells strongly of lemon, barley & a slight cherry note.
Strong flavor of lemon/lime; wheat & cherry are deteced also. Tastes as if someone mixed a pale ale with sweet&sour mix (which is basically what they did).
The citric acid leaves a puckering quality in the mouth, otherwise not much in the way of carbonation or other mouthfeel.
Overall this is not something I would drink again, in fact I had to force myself to finish it. It would have been better with less lemonade, as it was too sweet and way too acidic...leaving me feeling slightly queasy. A sharper hop bite would've also given it more balance.
Nice attempt at something different, but they need to tweak the recipe before I try it again.

05-08-2008 08:16:56 | More by Natural510
jasonpeckins32

4.47/5  rDev +42.8%

This was hands-down my favorite new beer of the summer. . . and I'm sure it will be a staple of mine next summer, god willing they brew it again.

It pours a bit more yellow than your average pale beer, and obviously smells of lemons. I consider it to smell like a sugary sweet lemon, almost similar to a kitchen cleaner of some sort.

The taste really is what it says: Half beer half lemonade. That may not sound too great, but wow it is the most refreshing drink to have on a hot summer day. Some of my friends loved it, others hated it. Its really hit or miss with this one. With me its a hit. By taste alone I would think they actually did just mix a normal beer with minute maid lemonade, but it still has a reasonable abv, making me believe that is not the case.

All i know is that I like it and I will buy it again next year. From my experience, it is much better on-tap than from the bottle, but suitable either way. For me, this is one of those beers that you like so much and your so confident that people who dont even like craft beer, or beer at all, will actually enjoy it- so you stock up and hand it out.

My summer refreshment can be summed up right here with this one. . . and at a nice low price!

10-16-2007 03:50:48 | More by jasonpeckins32
Dogbrick

2.2/5  rDev -29.7%

On tap at Easy Street Cafe in Toledo. Murky bright yellow color with a nil white head that looks a little too similar to a glass of lemonade. Very little lacing. Aroma of Lemon Pledge and hops. Light-bodied and fizzy with a taste like...lemonade beer. Lemons and grassy hops are really all there is to this beer. The finish is citrusy and mercifully short. Not for me.

10-11-2007 18:53:04 | More by Dogbrick
happygnome

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

a: pours a cloudy (about half as cloudy as a hefe) yellow color with about a half inch of head that dissapears fast leaving a very slight amount of lacing around the edge of the glass
s: lemonade with wheat malts and low hop bitterness in aroma. my initial impression is that it is just the honey weiss mixed with lemonade
t: starts as lemonade, almost as if the lemonade and beer parts had seperated. towards the finish there is a strong yeasty flavor that reminds me alot of honey weiss
m: light to medium bodied with a lot of carbonation

overall, to me this is too sweet, i cant get over how much this beer reminds me of honey weiss

09-29-2007 17:48:18 | More by happygnome
soupyman10

District of Columbia

3.1/5  rDev -1%

Pours a light yellow, mostly opaque, with a skim of white head on top. Nose is strong on lemon, a touch of wheat. Taste is likewise - this one's nearly lemonade it's so overwhelmingly lemon. Less wheat than the flavor. I guess a hint of spice, although that might be being generous. Body is medium, solid carbonation. This one's about what you'd expect; a simple, overwhelming flavor. I guess I could throw back a bunch if I needed to.

09-12-2007 04:33:45 | More by soupyman10
sleazo

1.3/5  rDev -58.5%

This sounded like a good idea after a sweltering hot Cubs game. Little did I know that I was wrong. This comes straight at you with an artificial lemon scent and taste. This "lemon" taste masks any traces of malt or hops. A real Shandy is refreshing, this tastes more like Mr Clean. mouthfeel was light. I didn't finish this one.

I would recommend mixing fresh squeezed lemonade with a decent lager. This is more like a Smiroff ice type artificial tasting malternative

08-06-2007 04:32:07 | More by sleazo
pmcadamis

1.93/5  rDev -38.3%

A - Cloudy pale yellow (almost tan) brew with a big fluffy three finger head that settles to a thin persistent cap with a small amount of lace left on the glass.

S - Lemon rind zest hits my nose as soon as I poured this. Just pure lemonade aroma at first, then a little bit of cereal too.

T - The taste is less acrid than the nose in that it's more like lemonade than pure lemon rind. Reminds me of a lemon shake-up that you get at an amusement park. After about five seconds the strong lemon flavor washed away, and I'm left with what tastes exactly like Cheerios cereal.

M - Mild carbonation and a slick oily sensation add up to a less than pleasing mouthfeel. The finish is pretty clean with some graininess.

D - Pretty rotgut stuff. It's not all bad, and I would drink one again if offered to me for free, but I probably won't buy this again...although my fiance loves it so I probably will buy it again for her.

06-10-2007 14:39:42 | More by pmcadamis
supercolter

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

I have to go out on a limb here and disagree with a lot of reviewers here. I thought this was the best Leine's I have tried. I have a couple left, but I have had a good portion of their selection. Anyways, what I was most impressed with was the smell and taste. The appeance and Mouthfeel as debatable, but the mix of lime, honeydew and light citrus hops with a touch of sweet malt can really hit the spot on a warm day.

05-12-2007 23:02:32 | More by supercolter
Puddleglum

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Hmm? I liked this but it is certainly a departure. Some people may spit this out confusing it with a lemonade. You can smell the terpenes before you even get this to your face. The head was almost non-existent which could have been operator error on the part of the kids bartending. But all in all it was refreshing on a warm day which is its intention. It wasn't overly sweet even though it was incredibly flavorful and it didn't have the astringency usually associated with poorer versions. This one falls into the lawnmowers or daygame category alongside Samual Adams Summer Ale.

05-09-2007 15:01:20 | More by Puddleglum
billybeerlvr

Wisconsin

4.4/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light head, amber colored - aroma has a definite lemon smell.

Undertones of the wheat base but a crisp lemon after-taste. Not over-powering; doesn't linger long. Not too fruity as some of these beers can be. Leinies got this one right. Best served ice-cold.

02-23-2014 07:16:37 | More by billybeerlvr
Ozzylizard

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle dated NOV1113 at cellar temp into goblet
Aroma lemony
Head average (3 cm), white, creamy, fully diminishing
Body bright yellow, cloudy
Flavor has lemon overtones, no malt, no diacetyl, ends quickly
Body is light, watery, carbonation lively.

Maybe colder or fresher (gift from someone who doesn't know beer) would have helped, but still not a bad beer. I think I like the orange variety better.

01-08-2014 12:19:57 | More by Ozzylizard
Waddles22

4.4/5  rDev +40.6%

This is a novices beer review: Its currently my perfect summer boat beer. Light and refreshing, and whats better than lemonade on a hot day? How about a lemonade beer?

I am sure as I get more into tasting and knowing the complexities of beer I will look back and laugh.

01-08-2014 01:11:15 | More by Waddles22
Jadjunk

Georgia

3.41/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is brewed in the style of a Shandy beer, roughly half lemonade, half ale, traditionally a shandy uses mild British ales, whereas the German equivalent is a Radler. While there is no label information, this beer is arguably one of Leinenkugel's biggest recent successes, creating several spin-off shandy flavor options (and likely even more to come). Available as a Summer release seasonal in bottles, cans and on draft.

Poured into a Leinenkugel's Pint glass. Served at 52º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy clean cream white head over a very hazy and murky pale yellow body. Head retention is slightly above average- a fair bit better than average for Leinenkugel. Lacing is medium-light and patchy. Carbonation is busy and plentiful through the heavy haze. I can see where it comes closest to a Weissbier by appearance but still doesn't quite match the visual grandeur of purely wheat-based ales. 3.75

(Smell) There's no doubting lemonade comes into serious play in this drink, although it's more of a sweeter country-style lemonade, not the tart, sunny and light heavy drinking lemonade you can make from scratch. I did not find the lemon aroma harsh enough to compare to Lysol or Pledge, but I can understand the resemblance. It doesn't balance out fantastically in the aroma, a mild malty base is thoroughly overshadowed, and any hop bitterness or body is tough to find. Very much a hybrid drink of a beer- any subtleties of a weissbier are far overshadowed by the lemonade, and the end result isn't far from smelling of a Mike's Hard Lemonade or your choice lemon-based wine cooler. 3

(Taste) Mild pale wheat malt background with a substantial amount of light, tart lemonade character. Like the aroma suggested, the drink is only half a beer at the very most, and the wheat base is overshadowed, although quite easier to discern than in the aroma. The balance isn't ideal, but the style wouldn't suggest any higher expectations. If you can't decide between a lemonade and a wheat beer, but like lemonade ever-so-slightly more, this may be a fair option. Although this is my only Shandy review to date, I really can't knock it much as it is quite drinkable and enjoyable for what it is. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Light malt, moderately acidic lemon juice and a slick, soft body. Carbonation does add some zest to the tongue. The body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is very low, concealed well by the lemons and the acidity. Overall it's a bit light on the body and texture for the weissbier crowd but lemonade isn't usually carbonated and does quite fine this time around, so I suppose it's a fair balance. 3.5

(Overall) I'd prefer a weiss bier that's wheat-malt forward with lemon subtleties any day over a Lemon Shandy, but I'm not too likely to overly criticize this for what it is. If you've never dabbled in the style before it might be worth seeking out but otherwise know that this is a fairly average choice amongst Shandy beer, and doesn't stand out in the craft beer crowd regardless of the style. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's
Summer Shandy
3.41/5.00

11-23-2013 01:21:42 | More by Jadjunk
barnzy78

2.49/5  rDev -20.4%

A - pale, cloudy yellow body topped with a creamy white head, decent retention, no lacing
S - lemonade, wheat, yeast, biscuit
T - sweet and tart, artificial lemonade, wheat, biscuit, yeast
M - thin and watery, high carbonation, refreshing finish brings you back for more on a hot day
O - I'm not crazy over this by any means, but it does serve its purpose on a hot day. I'll drink it if it's around but I wouldn't buy it unless someone was requesting it.

11-02-2013 17:57:41 | More by barnzy78
alphagnome

Iowa

2.84/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Appearance:
It appears to be... lemonade! A bright yellow hue is applied to an opaque body with a thin, white head. Retention is horrible. No lacing. Plenty of carbonation.

Aroma:
An almost overwhelming amount of lemon. I get a heaping helping of fresh and artificial lemon... and that's it. Nothing else.

Taste:
Honestly, it's not good... BUT it's refreshing! There is nothing here to tell me "hey, I'm a beer!" It would be better served as a Smirnoff Ice product. Kool-aid comes to mind.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly light, crisp and refreshing! Lots of carbonation and a nice sweetness that is not overpowering. Easy to drink.

Overall:
I have a hard time calling this a beer as there is nothing here that resembles a beer, or at least what I consider beer. That said, I enjoy it... A bit of a guilty pleasure if you will. Easy to drink and thirst-quenching. Definitely a good beverage for a hot, summer day.

10-03-2013 02:54:01 | More by alphagnome
elNopalero

3.24/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a kool-aide yellow color.

This smells like lemonade.

Tastes like… lemonade.

Sharp, crisp and refreshingly so. But the lemonade sweetness dominates whatever beer was in this. Still… Say what you will. Y

es, I know it’s from the majors, and it’s a shandy. But it was tasty and I didn’t feel dirty after drinking it and liking it, the way I thought I would have.

09-12-2013 19:23:30 | More by elNopalero
Zorro

2.9/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Cloudy yellow colored beer with a tall white colored head. Looks like wheat beer mixed with lemonade which is pretty much what this is.

Smells strongly of lemonade and less strongly roasted grain and faint herbal hop. Soda cracker malt scent.

Starts out mildly sweet with mainly a lemon flavor and a toasted whet after taste. Tastes like lemonade and beer. Needless to say not really a traditional beer.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall an inoffensive drink. Guess it works as a thirst quencher.

08-31-2013 23:46:51 | More by Zorro
Tenzin

Nebraska

1.7/5  rDev -45.7%

Although there us a little maltiness detectable in this product, the predominant taste is much like cheap lemonade manufactured with reconstituted lemon juice. The alcohol content is so low, you can get much tastier summer refreshment by drinking good lemonade and adding alcohol of your choice. Dion't waste your money on this product.

08-31-2013 22:34:27 | More by Tenzin
Alextricity

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Had straight from the can at suite in Comerica..

My sister told me before opening it up that it really just smells like lemonade, and that's basically right. There's definitely some adjuncty sorts of aromas in the background, but there's a distinct lemon smell. It's alright. I don't like to really smell adjunct lagers, but the lemonade makes this fairly pleasing.

Taste/feel: First sip was almost all lemonade again. As I continued to drink it, the cheap-taste bursted through. I have no idea if there even ARE adjuncts in this beer, but it smells and tastes like it to me. This beer's unoffensive, and would be easy to drink a few of. I wouldn't so much want to just sip on this at a bar or at home, but this worked at a Tiger game, and would no doubt be satisfying after a hot, sweaty day outside.

This is about what I expected from this beer. It's decent, but there's nothing special about it... there's a time and place for Summer Shandy.

08-30-2013 15:23:31 | More by Alextricity
dowen17

Alabama

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out.

08-29-2013 00:52:30 | More by dowen17
Bierwolf

Missouri

3.38/5  rDev +8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker style glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy dull yellow. So cloudy you can not see through it. White foam with a disappearing head however leaving nice lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Vanilla, lemon, lime and citrusy.

Taste: Citrusy. With me it was mostly lime on top with lemon in the background.

Palate: Smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Has a nice lingering sweet bite.

Over all: I am not a fan of these fruity summer beers. To be fair I had a 6 pack of these over a few days to give a review. The first one to me was horrible. The next not so bad. After finishing the pack this is really a refreshing summer drink. If you are looking for something with bold hops or really malty do not expect that with this beer. But it is definitely worth a try and you will enjoy it on a hot summer day.

08-27-2013 23:34:24 | More by Bierwolf