Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 619 | Ratings: 3,446
2.99/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. Tall whipped cream-like white head that has some good retention. Thin spots of lace stick here and there to the glass. Hazy lemony yellow body color.

Smell is like Country Time lemonade mix. Very artificial. Taste is also predominantly lemonade with the slightest hint of wheat.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp. A refreshing lemon aftertaste. I really wasn't expecting to like this, but it is a lot better than I thought it would be. It's nothing serious to be sure, but would be great for a BBQ.

3.42/5  rDev +10%

Lemonade yellow/white with way too much pure white head. It really does look like lemonade with beer foam.

Smells like someone dumped lemonade into Miller Lite. That's it's no great smell here. Cheap lemonade with beer. I guess that's ok since that's what a SHANDY really is.

I wish it was 100 degrees out so this beer didn't taste so infested with bad lemonade. Since it's not I'm not sure which offends me more the lemon pledge lemonade or the beer it's sitting in. Now if it were 100 degrees I would really appreciate what this beer stands for. Since I've had it many times on a super hot day, this beer gets a pass from me at this moment.

Very smooth and easy to drink. Lemonade does bring back those thoughts of being a little kid and having a lemonade outside in the backyard on a hot summer day. Now that I'm an adult, I can appreciate the beer in there so I can have some alcohol without drinking vodka.

Sh!t man you can drink these like water on a hot day! Today it's a little cooler and it's still really easy to drink [as I finish what's left in my glass]. I recommend this beer very cold on a very hot day!

Original Review 07-27-2007

A- Hazy light yellow, 2 finger white head fades quickly. Nice ring and lacing. Veryg ood sticking! Very light carbonation.

S- Lemonade. That's it.

T- Lemonade and a very light beer. (what? Is this still considered beer?)

M- Very light body, easy going down!

D- I could pick up a sixer here and there on a really hot summer day at the beach!

2.95/5  rDev -5.1%

Brewed with natural Lemonade flavor.

A: Poured a very cloudy, lemony wit color with a foamy 1 finger white head that fell to a slight, fizzy layering quickly after the pour.

S: country time sour lemonade.

T: sour country time lemonade, and oranges. Tastes more like a hard lemonade then a beer. Some sour lemony texture.

M: light, with some fizziness from the carbonation with a tart lemonade fade.

D: A refreshing summer time alternative that looks like a wit but drank like a lemonade cooler.

3.27/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured a hazy yellow color with nice white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Aroma was fruity dominated by lemons. Has a very citrusy taste to it. Pretty refreshing on a hot day. Body is on the thin side. Nothing spectacular, but not offensive and easy drinking.

3.7/5  rDev +19%

Bottle from a 6-pack with 07218 mark (best by July, 21, 2008)

A- Looks like a very sweet lemonade. Transluscent, but I can't see through it. Fizzy head with soda bubbles.

S- Smells like a hard lemonade. I was expecting beer, but all liquor is good.

T- Not enough lemon flavor to be hard lemonade and not enough beer flavor to be a beer. Nothing offensive, but nothing impressive.

M&D- Feels light bodied and watery which is what I like. Easy to pound down when well refrigerated. Goes down like a nice glass of mineral water.

Overall- I will drink this when I want a light, refreshing, non-filling alcoholic beverage. Which is not often.

P.S.- This does not taste like other American Pale Wheat Ales. More like a Fruit/Vegetable beer if even a beer.

2.71/5  rDev -12.9%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, same style as the rest of the Leinies logos. Bright yellow with a lemon, indecipherable date code.

Appearance: Cloudy and bright yellow, big head, nice retention.

Smell: Almost completely lemon, just a bit of a wheat hint as it warms up.

Taste: Again, almost all lemon. This tastes like a carbonated lemonade, with just a hint o beer in the finish.

Overall impression: Well, I haven't had any other beers of this style, so I don't have much to compare to. That being said, the beer is second stage here - this is an alcoholic lemonade with a bit of beer flavor in there if you really look for it.

2.35/5  rDev -24.4%

A: Pours a cloudy golden yellow--it looks like cloudy lemonade. The head starts out large and frothy, eventually settling down to a thin lace. It actually leaves a decent bit of lacing on the way down.

S: Strong lemon-zest aroma--tart and sweet. I can get some of the wheat malt mixed in, as well. This is a zesty, fruity smelling beer. Since it's a shandy, I think the smell is right on.

T: Ugh. It's got a lemony flavor, but like it's mixed with Coors Light or something. The pale, mildly bitter wheat flavors emerge mid-way through and subdue what little lemon flavor actually makes it to the beer. This really isn't any good at all. There ought to be some more lemon sweetness and the underlying beer ought to be better, too.

M&D: It's got a very light body and a watery mouthfeel, appropriate for the style they're going for. There's a good bit of carbonation, as well. As far as drinkability goes, the beer is light and summery, but it tastes pretty bad. I won't be getting another bottle ever again, and I would probably drink an American macro over this if I was just chilling on the porch.

2.82/5  rDev -9.3%

A - The pour from the bottle actually looks like lemonade. Once in the pint it has a yellow haze and a nice glow. The head is white and loudly fades away fast.

S - The aroma is filled with malt and lemon. The scent begs to be consumed.

T - The flavor starts with a kick of lemon. It moves on to a malty middle and finishes with an odd mix of the two.

M - The feel is coarse and abrasive. Partially because of the temperature and also because of the high carbonation in the brew. I don't think the feel adds much to the beer other than a refreshment factor because it is quenching my thirst.

~ In my humble opinion I'm not to impressed with the Summer Shandy. I will say though, I think the brewers succeeding in what they were attempting to accomplish. This is a beer and not a wine cooler. It does a good job satisfying thirst and can likely be consumed in large quantities. It is not something I'd purchase necessarily but it does have it's place among beers.

3.48/5  rDev +11.9%

12oz brown bottle. Pours a murky light yellow with a quarter inch of off-white head. Smells intensely sweet and lemony - almost like fake lemonade. Tastes very citrusy and somewhat pithy, though the flavor isn't as intense as the aroma is. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Not bad, very easy-drinking and refreshing, and i can definitely see putting back a couple of these after a long hot day. That said, it seems less beery and more like an alco-pop, though it beats the heck out of Mike's or the like.

2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a good-enough head with a golden yellow color.
Smells strongly of lemon, barley & a slight cherry note.
Strong flavor of lemon/lime; wheat & cherry are deteced also. Tastes as if someone mixed a pale ale with sweet&sour mix (which is basically what they did).
The citric acid leaves a puckering quality in the mouth, otherwise not much in the way of carbonation or other mouthfeel.
Overall this is not something I would drink again, in fact I had to force myself to finish it. It would have been better with less lemonade, as it was too sweet and way too acidic...leaving me feeling slightly queasy. A sharper hop bite would've also given it more balance.
Nice attempt at something different, but they need to tweak the recipe before I try it again.

3.02/5  rDev -2.9%

Caught somewhere between lemonade and an American Wheat, the beer is both appetizing and distracting at the same time. The aroma opens with a burst of lemons with a confectionate counterpart that takes the acidity off of the nose. A wheat malt balance attempts to balance out the lemonade character, but falls a bit short. Looks timid on the wheat with a slight haze, fizzy head formation and low retention levels. Straw colored and over-carbonated; quite spritz-y. Flavors are dominated by the lemonade sweetness and tartness with, again, lacking wheat beer flavors. Lightly bready, underhopped, and a timid barley / wheat base malt flavor keeps the beer acidic and one-dimentional. Textures are light, crisp, and a bit thin, but certainly refreshing and thirst quenching. Finishes, well, lemony with that mild bread base. Palate cleansing and ready for the next sip. The beer is pleasant enough, despite the lack of 'beer' qualities.

1.7/5  rDev -45.3%

Unfortunately, in spite of my love for Leine's Sunset Wheat, I have yet to enjoy any of their other varieties. Although not as sickening as the Berry Weiss, this beer is no exception. It smells and tastes exactly like watered down lemonade. It reminds of Mike's Hard Lemonade, which I dislike, as it tastes nothing like beer. I imagine Leinenkugel is attempting to copy Radler (A combination of beer and Sprite), as this made me think of the Radler I drank in Germany. However, there is not enough beer flavor to this brew to make it enjoyable. I couldn't finish even one bottle.

3.71/5  rDev +19.3%

The aroma is great. The color when poured gives the appearance of an unfiltered beer. The first taste leaves you in confusion as to what type of beverage you are drinking. Overall, this is a good summer drink. It is light, fruity, and quite tastey once you adjust to it.

3.62/5  rDev +16.4%

Just picked this one up and I am enjoying it chilled in my Samuel Smith pub glass. Pours a very cloudy pale sulfur color with an enormous white headthat stays up for ever and leaves great lacing. Smells very delightful, just like fresh lemonade. The taste is a little disappointing, it is pretty much like lemon water and nothing much more. Smooth at first and then a sting at the back of the tongue before a wet lemony finish. Pretty good beer but needs more flavor!

3.97/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer for the first time this weekend. It was one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. Not for the beer drinker who doesn't like a light, summery beer. I expected it to be lemony since it says on the bottle that it's "lemonade beer", and it definitely was. I couldn't taste much wheat, but there were very vague traces. I don't think Leinenkugel was going for a beer that should be sipped, and has many different tastes, and I don't think they had the beer aficionado in mind when brewing it. But they succeeded at what they were going for.

12oz bottle poured into thin tube kolsch glass.

Clearly not my style of beer, didnt enjoy it, but one of my wife's new favorites so Im sure it will be on my next shopping list when I hit the beer stores.

A: Light yellow with a thick head and considerable lacing. Wheaty color and bubbles, plenty o fizz.

S: Lots of lemon. Nothing else, not much wheat, malt or much else.

T: Powerful lemon hits you, lemonade flavored beer. Didnt taste painfully sweet but just not my thing. Flavor wasnt fake but just too tart, almost like it had a lemon slice added.

M: Lots of fizz and carbonation. Needs some more wheatiness and breadiness.

D: I guess its drinkable for the summer if I was sitting by a pool in the mood for a lemonade. Refreshing characteristics, Ill give it that.

4.3/5  rDev +38.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this at a beer dinner that paired the Summer Shandy as well as the Sunset Wheat from Leinenkugel with an orange creme brule. The two paired amazingly with notes of lemon throughout the Shandy. Character that holds strong to both the Lemonade as well as the Wheat flavors that this beer is designed around. Keep this in the fridge for the ladies this summer!!!

1.26/5  rDev -59.5%

I purchased this beer in a limited edition case of their seasonal beers. This brew looks like lemonade when poured into a glass with a trace of carbonation. It smells like lemonade, but tastes like lemon furniture polish. I'll save the rest for my brother in-law when he visits...he'll drink anything

3.65/5  rDev +17.4%

I bought this beer last Summer and still had some in my fridge the Spring after so I thought "What the heck...let's see if it still tastes as dandy as it did last Summer."

Well, it did.

This beer pours with a foamy white head and a cloudy pale straw yellow body. The head faded rather quickly and didn't leave much of a lace on the side of the glass.

I found the mouthfeel of this beer to be terrific. Light on the palate and no lingering aftertaste. The taste is that of a decent wheat beer with a slight lemonade tang in the background.

This is an excellent session brew for a hot sunny day (or a cold spring day during the NFL draft)! Very light and drinkable...a brew that doesn't get old after a few bottles. This is a beer I'll continue to keep picking up in the future.

4.19/5  rDev +34.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A--Cloudy, straw pour with moderate, creamy head. Most of head doesn't stick around too long.

S--Smells a lot like lemonade...maybe even an Arnold Palmer. Not artificial nor overwhelming. Some malty dryness to balance. Very nice.

T--How do I put this? It tastes like beer and lemonade. I've never bothered with anything like this, but the Leinie Boys do a nice job here. Not sweet, not overly lemony nor artificial. Malty, dry character to the "beer" part of the taste, with a slight bittering balance at the finish. Quite good. Doesn't taste like it has much alcohol, and at 4.2 ABV, it doesn't. Nothing to get really excited about, but aren't you just chilling out on a hot day with this one?

M--Not syrupy nor acidic, which was a prejudicial concern. Balanced body and feel. Not overly crisp nor dry either. A lot of things could have gone wrong in making this beer, but it hasn't.

D--Certainly drinkable and sessionable. Refreshing. Bring a twacker in the rowboat as you jig for crappie!

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Hazy straw with off-white head.

A- Lemonade

T- Wheat ale mixed with lemonade. Sort of reminds me of a radler a friend of mine introduced me to in Germany.

M- Medium body with moderate carbonation.

D- Very refreshing, I'd think you could make your own radlers just as easy(mixing beer with lemonade). I'd gladly drink this on a hot day, or any day for that matter.

3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Straw yellow with a three finger head even with a gentle pour. The head quickly dissipates to lacing around just around the rim of the glass.

S - Strong lemon with a nice soft wheat backing. A small amount of breadiness.

T - Strong lemon... Citrus... Slight coriander. A lot like the aroma. Dry sour dough bread finish.

M - Moderately high carbonation. Nice thick wheat coating.

D - For only having average taste and mouthfeel... I find myself picking this up regularly. It is really nice on a warm summer day with while burgers are on the grill or while sitting out on the porch watching the wind blow the leaves in the trees.

2.27/5  rDev -27%

Pours a five finger white head that fades quickly to ring and leaves some lace. Murky pale amber color. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied. Lemonade nose. Flavor is like slightly fizzy, sweet lemonade with vague hints of hops way in the background not at all like an English shandy. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

3.55/5  rDev +14.1%

Single, 12 oz bottle purchased from Total Wine and More in West Orange for $1.59...
Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat happened to be one of my all-time favorite light beers, so I usually eagerly anticipate sampling a new one from this brewery whenever I can...
"Beer with natural lemonade flavor" on the yellow front logo sticker...
Pours a cloudy, murky, straw-colored, light yellow appearance that really did mimic a hazy lemonade...
A distinct aroma of fresh lemons is immediately noticeable, along with a suggestion of other citrus and wheat...
Taste strongly complemented the aroma, with a burst of spiked lemon, citrus, wheat, and slight coriander, perhaps...
Light, watery mouthfeel, not too rich or thick, but certainly very drinkable and would do well on a hot, summer day...
Decent stuff, and an interesting take...

3.13/5  rDev +0.6%

On the first really warm day of Spring thus far, Summer Shandy sounded good at the store. A pale wheat, hopefully hopped, light and flavorful, the remaining four of this sixer might sit awhile.

Really nice look, with two fingers of white froth resting atop a very light lemon-off white body. If it were any lighter, I feared the beer would be clear. But it's good-looking. Not a bad aroma, full of lemon and some malt. The taste begins the drop-off for me. The blend of lemonade and hops operate at cross purposes. At times, the lemonade is overwhelming and sour; other times, the hops tamped down the rest of the flavors. The taste was confused, and quite simply not that good.

The mouthfeel was worse--too sour, a bit flat, and thin. Unpleasant on the whole. What started with some promise ended with a whimper. Not a horrible beer, and it does beat back the heat a bit, but not one I'll grab again. Mediocre.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company