Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 607 | Hads: 3,354
2.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Hazy yellow color with a thin head that dissipates after a minute or two. Wheat on the nose with a soapy lemon aroma. Lemon flavor is predominant and definitely does not taste like fresh squeezed lemonade, but I wasn't expecting it to. More like Country Time lemonade. Carbonation is pretty good. All in all it is not a great beer, but it is pretty refreshing. I can't see myself buying this again, but on a 105+ degree day in Phoenix if someone handed me one I would certainly enjoy it.

3.07/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance is akin to white tea with huge fluffy white head that retains very well. Found out the hard way while pouring one out into another container for a round of disc golf outside in the summer sun. Definitely made me unhappy that I lost some beer.

Smell is very lemony and you can't really discern much else except a touch of wheat. Whatever, it's supposed to be a lemonade + wheat ale brew blend. Smells like it's described.

What a letdown. I was hoping for something brilliant for the flavor profile but what I got instead was something strange like a Mike's Hard Lemonade blended with just a touch of some wheat ale to create a slightly funky blend of flavor. Wish it could have been pulled off, I love beer and lemonade. Arnold Palmer was able to pull it off with tea. Will it happen with beer?

Mouthfeel wasn't 100% clean/crisp. A bit swirly and sometimes more head than beer. But most painful is that it has the same sensation that drinking a Mike's Hard produces.

Oddly enough, it's actually very drinkable and once I finished mine I was actually thinking about grabbing another just to follow it up with. I'd probably buy a sixer every summer just for the odd taste combination until someone managed to do a better lemonade-beer combination.

Appearance: This brew pours as a light yellow hazy wheat. The head is full yet not creamy. Lacings perceived. Pretty nice.

Smell: Lemon zingy! The intensity is about the same as one would expect hops in an IPA. I like this. Some sweet malt detected.

Taste: This is like a wheat beer mixed with lemonade. I do not detect (to any major amount) other citrus flavors. The general wheat-sweetness is very subdued. Very light in overall presence. Very little (if any) hop bitterness. However, sweetness is not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: VERY light in flavor. The palate stays clear. There is not the cloying sweetness of lemonade, however there is a residual malt sweetness. This is a GREAT selection for sitting around the pool in the summer. I approve highly.

Drinkability: This selection is very easy to drink. I would call this a "chick beer", but the lightness would go great on a hot summer day.

As mentioned earlier, this is most definitely a Radler.

3.01/5  rDev -3.2%

From Notes

A: We have a hazy lemon peel color, with a off white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Ok we have some lemonhead smell along with a ton of sugary,
sweetness not much else.

T: Ok we have lemon soda water, and a weak one at that. There is also a bit of mineral taste.

M: This one felt weird, really syrupy, like a flat soda.

D: lack of carbonation, makes this one hard to drink, imo.

Thoughts- This one was a try at a shandy that was not all that close. I think I will stick to mixing my own.

3.18/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured a murky golden hue with a bit of head that quickly dissipated. Smelled of artificial lemon. Taste was artificial as well but surprisingly not bad and refreshing. Overall this is decent and I always have to get a six pack every summer for nostalgia's sake.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance- I actually really like the appearance. It is a very hazy brew that almost looks unfiltered (but it is). With an aggressive pour there is about a 1 finger head with very little retention. The color itself is a very pale yellow with a lot of haze to it.

Smell- Right off the initial nose, I of course get lime and lemon right away, but there is actually a decently strong vanilla aroma to it that I enjoy. With the second sniff, I get a faint malt mixed in with even more lime than before.

Taste- The initial taste is very mild with undertones of lime predominately. Immediately followed by almost a rancid malt after taste. If placed on the tip of the tongue the lemon does really pop out, with just a bit of that sweet smelling vanilla.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly watery and has a high drink-ability. I think this could definitely be a session beer for anyone because it is extremely thin and light.

Overall, Summer Shandy is decent. I would drink this as a lawn mower beer if someone gave me it. I would not ever buy it for myself mainly because that is not my go to brew. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a Shandy in the summer, but not to any serious craft beer fanatic.

3.92/5  rDev +26%

S = This had the aroma of a box of "Lemon Heads" candy.

T = The taste was more restrained than the smell. It actually tasted as if I'd eaten a lemon biscuit. There was no bitterness at all and the finish, again, left a lemon bread taste.

MF = There was moderate carbonation, but I felt it was a little thin.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It would make a great summer grass cutting brew.

2.56/5  rDev -17.7%

This was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. It's still not very good. Pale cloudy big white head. Not bad. Smells like lemons and nothing else. Doesn't really taste like anything but lemons. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers to begin with, and I'm definately not a fan of mixing beer with artificial flavors. That being said, it was somewhat refreshing. It is what it is. This tastes like a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. That's because it is a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. If that sounds good to you knock yourself out.

2.94/5  rDev -5.5%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower.

3.26/5  rDev +4.8%

A - A cloudy pale yellow. Okay head and lacing.

S - Very Lemony. Not much else including that of a beer.

T - Very Lemony again. Although I was expecting a little lemon this was more of an artificial, at least in the aftertaste.

M - Just Okay

D - Although not a great beer it is very refreshing and would be a good outside on a hot day beer.

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%

hazy yellow color. nice big head retention.

smells like lemon, almost too much to be true. would not be surprised to learn that an artificial flavoring were used. its not bad, it just smells about as much like lemons as lemonheads do. but it smells nice.

it tastes about like it smells. not bad just very lemony. has a nice big mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

overall though, this doesn't really strike me as a beer. i dont remember what mike hard lemonade tastes like but i imagine it tastes like this.

3.95/5  rDev +27%

Appearance is pure gold with some cloudy. Smell is strong with lemon. Mouthfeel has some lingering to it, with a pleasant sweet tartness. The taste is strong with the lemon-aid. This is a great taste on a good hot 90 degree day here in PA. Overall this is a true seasonal beer, good in the summer. Let us have some burgers and dogs.

3.18/5  rDev +2.3%

It is a hazy yellow gold. The head is a sticky white head that stays around for a long time with great lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is citrus from the wheat beer and then has a strong lemonade scent. The two go well together.

The taste starts with a tartness of summertime lemonade and finishes with the full-flavored body of the wheat beer.

The lemonade and citrus go well together, but the lemonade was a little strong and distracted from the flavor of the wheat beer. A little overpowering.

3.44/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The more I drink it, the more I like it. The sweet lemon is refreshing but doesn't put me in the mind of toilet bowl cleaners. A good mix of lemonade and wheat beer.

3.06/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy pours a medium-gold color into my pint glass. Initially, there's nothing that looks different from a, um, beer that's 100% beer. Atop the hazy liquid sits a 2", off-white head the slowly collapses down to a residual 1/8" head. Low carbonation, moderate lacing. The smell of this beer is nearly nonexistent, even after it warms up for 15-20 minutes. There's a hint of citrus and wheat malt, but that's it.

Upon the initial quaff, the Summer Shandy has a taste similar to a mainstream American wheat (Blue Moon in particular); after an instant, the "lemonade" flavors come through. (Aside: the lemonade portion tastes much more like a UK/European lemonade - citrus soda - than what's considered a lemonade here in the States.) The mouthfeel is quite wet, which isn't surprising given the low ABV and amount of sugar present; finishes with a citrusy aftertaste that's very reminiscent of 7-Up or Sprite.

Overall, this is a supremely inoffensive beer, and probably best serves as a gateway from a BMC-only world. If you want to drink a shandy/radler, make your own, but this isn't a bad alternative when that isn't an option.

3.32/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured a pale yellow into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Pretty hazy color; not much head or lacing on the glass.

Smell is of lemons and not too much else. Maybe some malt, no hops to speak of.

Tastes of lemonade and maybe a little malt. I can't really taste too much other than the lemonade, but it is refreshing in its own way. A sour taste develops as I swallow.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. Not bad, nor good.

This is a drinkable beer, and refreshing for what you get. It isn't all that bad; just not something you would drink if you wanted a beer of substance.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

a- virtually no head or no lacing, very cloudy light yellow golden in color, very close to lemonade in color and appearance

s-smells strongly of lemonade no strong aromas of hops or malt

t-taste of lemonade and citrus aftertaste of wheat and hops

m-smooth clean mouthfeel, kinda light feel

d-good drinkability

3.99/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had it on a brewery tour while in Wisconsin. Tasted amazing then. But tastes a little bit more pedestrian out of the bottle I bought here in San Francisco. Still pretty good wheat beer, though it does have a slightly bitter aftertaste that reminded me of real barley and hops lager. In my book that's a good thing, but based on the category of beer, I guess that would make it an "adjunct" by witbier standards.

3.42/5  rDev +10%

Lemonade yellow/white with way too much pure white head. It really does look like lemonade with beer foam.

Smells like someone dumped lemonade into Miller Lite. That's it's no great smell here. Cheap lemonade with beer. I guess that's ok since that's what a SHANDY really is.

I wish it was 100 degrees out so this beer didn't taste so infested with bad lemonade. Since it's not I'm not sure which offends me more the lemon pledge lemonade or the beer it's sitting in. Now if it were 100 degrees I would really appreciate what this beer stands for. Since I've had it many times on a super hot day, this beer gets a pass from me at this moment.

Very smooth and easy to drink. Lemonade does bring back those thoughts of being a little kid and having a lemonade outside in the backyard on a hot summer day. Now that I'm an adult, I can appreciate the beer in there so I can have some alcohol without drinking vodka.

Sh!t man you can drink these like water on a hot day! Today it's a little cooler and it's still really easy to drink [as I finish what's left in my glass]. I recommend this beer very cold on a very hot day!

Original Review 07-27-2007

A- Hazy light yellow, 2 finger white head fades quickly. Nice ring and lacing. Veryg ood sticking! Very light carbonation.

S- Lemonade. That's it.

T- Lemonade and a very light beer. (what? Is this still considered beer?)

M- Very light body, easy going down!

D- I could pick up a sixer here and there on a really hot summer day at the beach!

4.54/5  rDev +46%

The appearance is a hazy, almost solid yellow, leaning slightly to an orange touch. The head is stark white and retains pretty well.

For the aroma, it smells of lemons, and a tad bit of malt (wheat, maybe?). Hop presence is just slightly noticeable, but it's hard to tell with the straight-forward lemon/citrus aroma.

The taste is primarily lemon zest, with some small sweetness, and a tiny backbone of malt- which to me, is hard to distinguish between barley and wheat. A nice balance, I suppose. Just bready and lemony.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of light, and the light side of medium. You really get a bite from the carbonation and the lemon zest.

Overall, this is one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had, and I suggest giving it a try, especially if you like citrusy beers.

3.89/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A friend of mine introduced me to the summer shandy back in the summer. He always talked about this beer as if it was handed down by the Gods. I bought a six pack of it and was instantly hooked.

I tend to drink it either out of the can or bottle. However when pouring it into a glass the first thing I notice is how remarkably yellow it is. Reminds me of a cloudier version of lemonade, but with a thin white lacing around the edges.

If you like lemons, then you will love the smell. It smells like lemonade.

The beer is very light and isn't that complex in regards to its flavors. It is a somewhat watery beer. I can immediately taste lemon with a hint of wheat.

It goes down smooth, with a mild amount of carbonation. It is somewhat like a soda.

Overall, this is a thirst quenching beer. It definitely will grow on you!

3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured with a nice head, yellow in color.

Smell is malty, grainy, lemon and citrus, some grass and sweetness.

Taste is decent, malty and grainy with lemonade. A slight hint of hops on the finish. A bit thin, but not bad for a hot summer day. Really easy to drink too.

3.36/5  rDev +8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker style glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy dull yellow. So cloudy you can not see through it. White foam with a disappearing head however leaving nice lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Vanilla, lemon, lime and citrusy.

Taste: Citrusy. With me it was mostly lime on top with lemon in the background.

Palate: Smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Has a nice lingering sweet bite.

Over all: I am not a fan of these fruity summer beers. To be fair I had a 6 pack of these over a few days to give a review. The first one to me was horrible. The next not so bad. After finishing the pack this is really a refreshing summer drink. If you are looking for something with bold hops or really malty do not expect that with this beer. But it is definitely worth a try and you will enjoy it on a hot summer day.

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

I picked up a batch of this today at the grocery store as it seemed to look like a good summer brew. As it turns out, it's not a bad beer, but my only complaint is it seems more on the lemonade side than the wheat ale side.

Appearance is a pallid yellow much resembling lemonade with barely, if not, almost any head whatsoever.

Smell is high in lemons with a hint of wheat. It has that candy lemon smell, much like Lemonheads, as another reviewer put it.

Taste was pretty good. As I said before, this stuff comes off more like an alcoholic lemonade than an actual beer. It's a good experiment, as it is good, but there's too much lemon and not enough wheat.

Mouthfeel was pretty watery and went down quickly. Nothing to savor after the first sip of the brew.

Drinkability isn't bad at all. For a hot summer day, this stuff can certainly fix the thirst for a while and it's a good "warm up" beer for those who haven't had much beer before. It's a good brew for a hot summer day, but it's more like a glorified lemonade. Why not? Summer's here!

3.83/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

If you approach this shandy as not a beer but an alchoholic lemonade (a hard lemonade, I guess) it's a wonderful and refreshing beverage on a hot summer day. Honestly, this drink hit the spot perfectly.

However, like I said, you need to approach this beer differently than other beers. Keep an open mind, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lemon notes stood out so strongly I could forget I was drinking a beer and imagine I was drinking lemonade. It doesn't go down smooth, but neither does lemonade, I suppose.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company