Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)

2.79/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Super hazy rusted yellow color. A fuzzy white head recedes to a good thick film. Light lines of lacing.

Aroma: Dried grass and lemon syrup.

Taste: A very straightforward taste of lemon candy and a bright seltzer kind of taste. Slight chalkiness.

Mouthfeel: Very chalky and carbonated, almost medicinal.

Overall: Heavy mouthfeel for a light, summery kind of beer. Too chalky, and reminded me of Lemonheads candy too much. Just not my thing.

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

4.25/5  rDev +34.9%

2.45/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a cloudy piss yellow colour that essentially looks like, well, a bit darker version of your typical lemonade. Eh.

The aroma is overpowered by an abundance of lemon. It's all lemon all the time. I got nothing else.

The flavour is more of the same: it's basically like drinking a glass of lemonade. I don't detect any hops, malt, wheat, etc. Just a lot of lemonade. This is a beer, isn't it? Mouthfeel is light, crisp and refreshing, but not very beer-like.

If I wanted a damn lemonade I'd drink one. I wanted and was expecting a beer, and that's not what I got. I assume this is what those Hard Lemonade things taste like, and if so I don't know how people can consistently drink them. I enjoy the Leine Sunset Wheat. I was not at all happy with this one. Don't bother.

3.45/5  rDev +9.5%

2.5/5  rDev -20.6%

3.75/5  rDev +19%

2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

This is difficult to rate as a beer, since it much more resembled a non-alcoholic mixture of Ginger-Ale and lemonade. Very pale in color, with little lacing or head and a hint of lemon in the nose. Taste was lemony soda pop.

Not sure who this beer would appeal to, as even the women at our table thought it tasted too cheesy. Before I drink this again, I'll have a straight lemonade or real beer, not this 'tweener.

3.83/5  rDev +21.6%

GLASS: Saint Arnold Brewery Tasting Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
(SUMMER BEER TASTING w/ a few friends)

It's a beautiful hazy golden yellow in the glass. Reminds me of a hot summer day, visually. Not 100+ degree 'heatstroke' kind of hot, but upper-80's to mid-90's. Where you're just starting to see 'heat-lines' in the air, if you look down the street.
Creamy one-finger head dissipates fairly quickly. Decent lacing. Minimal retention.

The smell is like effervescing lemons. If you had a pool filled with fresh lemons and they began giving off a wonderful bubbly gaseous mist, I think it would smell like this.
For all intents and purposes this looks and smells like a glass of strong homemade lemonade.

Taste is where it drops a little bit, for me. Granted, it is pretty much exactly what it claims to be. A well-done (American) Pale Wheat with lemonade blended in. The lemon seems to be a bit too dominant, though. While I do detect a tiny hint of yeastiness in there, the beer flavor is all but buried.

It feels a bit wrong to me, also. It's thin, which I would normally like, in this style. The problem is that there seems to be to many bubbles (overcarbonation). Makes for an odd mouthfeel.

After what I've just said about it, I'm surprised to say that I still find this to be a good, easy-drinking, refreshing summer brew. On a nice hot day, this would definitely do the trick.

2.25/5  rDev -28.6%