Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 598 | Hads: 3,264
3.92/5  rDev +25.6%

S = This had the aroma of a box of "Lemon Heads" candy.

T = The taste was more restrained than the smell. It actually tasted as if I'd eaten a lemon biscuit. There was no bitterness at all and the finish, again, left a lemon bread taste.

MF = There was moderate carbonation, but I felt it was a little thin.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It would make a great summer grass cutting brew. (390 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -17.9%

This was actually a lot better than I thought it would be. It's still not very good. Pale cloudy big white head. Not bad. Smells like lemons and nothing else. Doesn't really taste like anything but lemons. I'm not a big fan of wheat beers to begin with, and I'm definately not a fan of mixing beer with artificial flavors. That being said, it was somewhat refreshing. It is what it is. This tastes like a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. That's because it is a cheap wheat beer mixed with lemonade. If that sounds good to you knock yourself out. (550 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -5.8%

this is one of my wife's favorite beers, being the fact I have nothing else left to drink, I had to open it.
A- very pale yellow, maybe pale isnt the word to use. How about urine like?
S - Citrus is the only thing I can smell, lots of citrus
T - citrus rine, some sweetness, lots of citrus bitterness
M - easy to drink, if you like lemonade
O - this is one beer that is constantly in my fridge that I dont like to touch. Not to say its a bad beer, but it leaves me wanting to drink something with more flavor and bite.
good lawnmower beer, or beer to throw through a lawnmower. (577 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +4.5%

A - A cloudy pale yellow. Okay head and lacing.

S - Very Lemony. Not much else including that of a beer.

T - Very Lemony again. Although I was expecting a little lemon this was more of an artificial, at least in the aftertaste.

M - Just Okay

D - Although not a great beer it is very refreshing and would be a good outside on a hot day beer. (344 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +2.6%

hazy yellow color. nice big head retention.

smells like lemon, almost too much to be true. would not be surprised to learn that an artificial flavoring were used. its not bad, it just smells about as much like lemons as lemonheads do. but it smells nice.

it tastes about like it smells. not bad just very lemony. has a nice big mouthfeel, nice carbonation.

overall though, this doesn't really strike me as a beer. i dont remember what mike hard lemonade tastes like but i imagine it tastes like this. (504 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Appearance is pure gold with some cloudy. Smell is strong with lemon. Mouthfeel has some lingering to it, with a pleasant sweet tartness. The taste is strong with the lemon-aid. This is a great taste on a good hot 90 degree day here in PA. Overall this is a true seasonal beer, good in the summer. Let us have some burgers and dogs. (332 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +1.9%

It is a hazy yellow gold. The head is a sticky white head that stays around for a long time with great lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is citrus from the wheat beer and then has a strong lemonade scent. The two go well together.

The taste starts with a tartness of summertime lemonade and finishes with the full-flavored body of the wheat beer.

The lemonade and citrus go well together, but the lemonade was a little strong and distracted from the flavor of the wheat beer. A little overpowering. (510 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a pale yellow into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. Pretty hazy color; not much head or lacing on the glass.

Smell is of lemons and not too much else. Maybe some malt, no hops to speak of.

Tastes of lemonade and maybe a little malt. I can't really taste too much other than the lemonade, but it is refreshing in its own way. A sour taste develops as I swallow.

Mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. Not bad, nor good.

This is a drinkable beer, and refreshing for what you get. It isn't all that bad; just not something you would drink if you wanted a beer of substance. (577 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy pours a medium-gold color into my pint glass. Initially, there's nothing that looks different from a, um, beer that's 100% beer. Atop the hazy liquid sits a 2", off-white head the slowly collapses down to a residual 1/8" head. Low carbonation, moderate lacing. The smell of this beer is nearly nonexistent, even after it warms up for 15-20 minutes. There's a hint of citrus and wheat malt, but that's it.

Upon the initial quaff, the Summer Shandy has a taste similar to a mainstream American wheat (Blue Moon in particular); after an instant, the "lemonade" flavors come through. (Aside: the lemonade portion tastes much more like a UK/European lemonade - citrus soda - than what's considered a lemonade here in the States.) The mouthfeel is quite wet, which isn't surprising given the low ABV and amount of sugar present; finishes with a citrusy aftertaste that's very reminiscent of 7-Up or Sprite.

Overall, this is a supremely inoffensive beer, and probably best serves as a gateway from a BMC-only world. If you want to drink a shandy/radler, make your own, but this isn't a bad alternative when that isn't an option. (1,149 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +9.9%

a- virtually no head or no lacing, very cloudy light yellow golden in color, very close to lemonade in color and appearance

s-smells strongly of lemonade no strong aromas of hops or malt

t-taste of lemonade and citrus aftertaste of wheat and hops

m-smooth clean mouthfeel, kinda light feel

d-good drinkability (317 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had it on a brewery tour while in Wisconsin. Tasted amazing then. But tastes a little bit more pedestrian out of the bottle I bought here in San Francisco. Still pretty good wheat beer, though it does have a slightly bitter aftertaste that reminded me of real barley and hops lager. In my book that's a good thing, but based on the category of beer, I guess that would make it an "adjunct" by witbier standards. (411 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +9.6%

Lemonade yellow/white with way too much pure white head. It really does look like lemonade with beer foam.

Smells like someone dumped lemonade into Miller Lite. That's it's no great smell here. Cheap lemonade with beer. I guess that's ok since that's what a SHANDY really is.

I wish it was 100 degrees out so this beer didn't taste so infested with bad lemonade. Since it's not I'm not sure which offends me more the lemon pledge lemonade or the beer it's sitting in. Now if it were 100 degrees I would really appreciate what this beer stands for. Since I've had it many times on a super hot day, this beer gets a pass from me at this moment.

Very smooth and easy to drink. Lemonade does bring back those thoughts of being a little kid and having a lemonade outside in the backyard on a hot summer day. Now that I'm an adult, I can appreciate the beer in there so I can have some alcohol without drinking vodka.

Sh!t man you can drink these like water on a hot day! Today it's a little cooler and it's still really easy to drink [as I finish what's left in my glass]. I recommend this beer very cold on a very hot day!

Original Review 07-27-2007

A- Hazy light yellow, 2 finger white head fades quickly. Nice ring and lacing. Veryg ood sticking! Very light carbonation.

S- Lemonade. That's it.

T- Lemonade and a very light beer. (what? Is this still considered beer?)

M- Very light body, easy going down!

D- I could pick up a sixer here and there on a really hot summer day at the beach! (1,498 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +45.5%

The appearance is a hazy, almost solid yellow, leaning slightly to an orange touch. The head is stark white and retains pretty well.

For the aroma, it smells of lemons, and a tad bit of malt (wheat, maybe?). Hop presence is just slightly noticeable, but it's hard to tell with the straight-forward lemon/citrus aroma.

The taste is primarily lemon zest, with some small sweetness, and a tiny backbone of malt- which to me, is hard to distinguish between barley and wheat. A nice balance, I suppose. Just bready and lemony.

The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of light, and the light side of medium. You really get a bite from the carbonation and the lemon zest.

Overall, this is one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had, and I suggest giving it a try, especially if you like citrusy beers. (800 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A friend of mine introduced me to the summer shandy back in the summer. He always talked about this beer as if it was handed down by the Gods. I bought a six pack of it and was instantly hooked.

I tend to drink it either out of the can or bottle. However when pouring it into a glass the first thing I notice is how remarkably yellow it is. Reminds me of a cloudier version of lemonade, but with a thin white lacing around the edges.

If you like lemons, then you will love the smell. It smells like lemonade.

The beer is very light and isn't that complex in regards to its flavors. It is a somewhat watery beer. I can immediately taste lemon with a hint of wheat.

It goes down smooth, with a mild amount of carbonation. It is somewhat like a soda.

Overall, this is a thirst quenching beer. It definitely will grow on you! (828 characters)

3.12/5  rDev 0%

Poured with a nice head, yellow in color.

Smell is malty, grainy, lemon and citrus, some grass and sweetness.

Taste is decent, malty and grainy with lemonade. A slight hint of hops on the finish. A bit thin, but not bad for a hot summer day. Really easy to drink too. (269 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker style glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy dull yellow. So cloudy you can not see through it. White foam with a disappearing head however leaving nice lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Vanilla, lemon, lime and citrusy.

Taste: Citrusy. With me it was mostly lime on top with lemon in the background.

Palate: Smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Has a nice lingering sweet bite.

Over all: I am not a fan of these fruity summer beers. To be fair I had a 6 pack of these over a few days to give a review. The first one to me was horrible. The next not so bad. After finishing the pack this is really a refreshing summer drink. If you are looking for something with bold hops or really malty do not expect that with this beer. But it is definitely worth a try and you will enjoy it on a hot summer day. (835 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -8%

I picked up a batch of this today at the grocery store as it seemed to look like a good summer brew. As it turns out, it's not a bad beer, but my only complaint is it seems more on the lemonade side than the wheat ale side.

Appearance is a pallid yellow much resembling lemonade with barely, if not, almost any head whatsoever.

Smell is high in lemons with a hint of wheat. It has that candy lemon smell, much like Lemonheads, as another reviewer put it.

Taste was pretty good. As I said before, this stuff comes off more like an alcoholic lemonade than an actual beer. It's a good experiment, as it is good, but there's too much lemon and not enough wheat.

Mouthfeel was pretty watery and went down quickly. Nothing to savor after the first sip of the brew.

Drinkability isn't bad at all. For a hot summer day, this stuff can certainly fix the thirst for a while and it's a good "warm up" beer for those who haven't had much beer before. It's a good brew for a hot summer day, but it's more like a glorified lemonade. Why not? Summer's here! (1,047 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

If you approach this shandy as not a beer but an alchoholic lemonade (a hard lemonade, I guess) it's a wonderful and refreshing beverage on a hot summer day. Honestly, this drink hit the spot perfectly.

However, like I said, you need to approach this beer differently than other beers. Keep an open mind, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lemon notes stood out so strongly I could forget I was drinking a beer and imagine I was drinking lemonade. It doesn't go down smooth, but neither does lemonade, I suppose. (515 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -4.5%

I'm not a huge fan. Pours a medium yellow color with a bit of head. There is a strong lemon and citrus fruit aroma. Lemonade in the first sip, carbonated lemonade. Definitely an American style Wheat. Rather smooth, a little sour, but overall fairly well balanced. (263 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It pours a murky pale yellow color. It's cloudy enough you can't see through it, yet it still lets light pass through. There was a half-inch head on it that faded to a ring around the edge of the glass. There is some lacing, but not very much.

The smell is a combination of overly sweet lemonade and cereal grains. Mostly what you smell is the lemonade. Fortunately the taste isn't as strong as the smell; in fact the taste is rather weak. What you do taste is lemonade and cereal. It's almost like someone spilled lemonade in a wheat beer.

It's hard to describe the body of the beer, because it is a mix, but I'd say its light bodied. For the body it has, the carbonation was a bit on the heavy side.

Overall this is going in my "not a beer" category. In and of itself it's not horribly bad; I've had much worse. Yet at the same time if you are looking for a beer with beer flavor, you are not going to be pleasantly surprised by this. (942 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +17%

A - Pours a hazy yellow color with a finger thick head that fades relatively quickly.

S - Lemon note is strong. But there are other citrus notes such as orange and even cloves.

T - Lemon peel is strong upfront, and follows you all the way until you swallow. Yeasty finish that would come close to making up for a person's dislike for the lemonness.

O - I can imagine after mowing the lawn or running pouring one of these and enjoying it greatly. Lemons are a little too strong for my liking. It's close to leaving the beer category and entering the fruity fun drink category, which is fine, but this is a BEER.

Depite this I cannot deny that it is a good tasting beer. I liked it and I will no doubt be drinking this again. (728 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out. (389 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is really interesting - a bright, opaque yellow. There is about a finger-width of foamy head, but it disappears fairly quickly - typical for a citrus beer.

Smell is dominated by lemon, not much else going on there.

Taste is very tart and lemon. It is pretty pleasant for a warm day, but not much "beer" flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice, great amount of carbonation and a very dry finish. Very easy to drink.

Overall, this is my wife's favorite beer and I can see why - it is easy to drink and extremely refreshing. I also like that it isn't overly sweet. I'm more of a fan of subtle fruit beers, however, and the lemon is a bit overpowering for me. (702 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Has a hazey yellow straw like color nice white foamy head with good retention.
S: There is a strong lemony smell for sure mixed with a wheatlike corn smell nothing great.
T: Not as bad a i thought it would be accually not bad at all wwheat up front followed buy a strong lemonade flovor.
M:Smooth with a little tingle at the end.
Overall its a very drinkable beer would be good on a hot day but other than that not really my cup of tea. (439 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -18.9%

The appearance is a bright yellow. Kind of a fun color.
In the aroma I get some of the pilsner malts and a good chunk of sugary citrus.
Taste is very sweet with little to no beer flavor. Carbonation is prickly.
If you like lemonade, go for it. If I am in the mood for a radler/shandy I would rather mix lemonade with a lager of my choosing. (340 characters)

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company