Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,211 | Reviews: 674
4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

Light and refreshing when I don't want a heavier beer. Great in the Summer.

3.89/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A friend of mine introduced me to the summer shandy back in the summer. He always talked about this beer as if it was handed down by the Gods. I bought a six pack of it and was instantly hooked.

I tend to drink it either out of the can or bottle. However when pouring it into a glass the first thing I notice is how remarkably yellow it is. Reminds me of a cloudier version of lemonade, but with a thin white lacing around the edges.

If you like lemons, then you will love the smell. It smells like lemonade.

The beer is very light and isn't that complex in regards to its flavors. It is a somewhat watery beer. I can immediately taste lemon with a hint of wheat.

It goes down smooth, with a mild amount of carbonation. It is somewhat like a soda.

Overall, this is a thirst quenching beer. It definitely will grow on you!

3.41/5  rDev +7.9%

Although it's an artificially flavored lemon, it is much better than the shock top shandy and all the rest of the shandys that are artificially flavored.

3.12/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured with a nice head, yellow in color.

Smell is malty, grainy, lemon and citrus, some grass and sweetness.

Taste is decent, malty and grainy with lemonade. A slight hint of hops on the finish. A bit thin, but not bad for a hot summer day. Really easy to drink too.

3.36/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a shaker style glass.

Appearance: Very cloudy, hazy dull yellow. So cloudy you can not see through it. White foam with a disappearing head however leaving nice lacing all the way down.

Aroma: Vanilla, lemon, lime and citrusy.

Taste: Citrusy. With me it was mostly lime on top with lemon in the background.

Palate: Smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Has a nice lingering sweet bite.

Over all: I am not a fan of these fruity summer beers. To be fair I had a 6 pack of these over a few days to give a review. The first one to me was horrible. The next not so bad. After finishing the pack this is really a refreshing summer drink. If you are looking for something with bold hops or really malty do not expect that with this beer. But it is definitely worth a try and you will enjoy it on a hot summer day.

2.87/5  rDev -9.2%

I picked up a batch of this today at the grocery store as it seemed to look like a good summer brew. As it turns out, it's not a bad beer, but my only complaint is it seems more on the lemonade side than the wheat ale side.

Appearance is a pallid yellow much resembling lemonade with barely, if not, almost any head whatsoever.

Smell is high in lemons with a hint of wheat. It has that candy lemon smell, much like Lemonheads, as another reviewer put it.

Taste was pretty good. As I said before, this stuff comes off more like an alcoholic lemonade than an actual beer. It's a good experiment, as it is good, but there's too much lemon and not enough wheat.

Mouthfeel was pretty watery and went down quickly. Nothing to savor after the first sip of the brew.

Drinkability isn't bad at all. For a hot summer day, this stuff can certainly fix the thirst for a while and it's a good "warm up" beer for those who haven't had much beer before. It's a good brew for a hot summer day, but it's more like a glorified lemonade. Why not? Summer's here!

3.83/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

If you approach this shandy as not a beer but an alchoholic lemonade (a hard lemonade, I guess) it's a wonderful and refreshing beverage on a hot summer day. Honestly, this drink hit the spot perfectly.

However, like I said, you need to approach this beer differently than other beers. Keep an open mind, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Lemon notes stood out so strongly I could forget I was drinking a beer and imagine I was drinking lemonade. It doesn't go down smooth, but neither does lemonade, I suppose.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

I'm not a huge fan. Pours a medium yellow color with a bit of head. There is a strong lemon and citrus fruit aroma. Lemonade in the first sip, carbonated lemonade. Definitely an American style Wheat. Rather smooth, a little sour, but overall fairly well balanced.

2.75/5  rDev -13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

It pours a murky pale yellow color. It's cloudy enough you can't see through it, yet it still lets light pass through. There was a half-inch head on it that faded to a ring around the edge of the glass. There is some lacing, but not very much.

The smell is a combination of overly sweet lemonade and cereal grains. Mostly what you smell is the lemonade. Fortunately the taste isn't as strong as the smell; in fact the taste is rather weak. What you do taste is lemonade and cereal. It's almost like someone spilled lemonade in a wheat beer.

It's hard to describe the body of the beer, because it is a mix, but I'd say its light bodied. For the body it has, the carbonation was a bit on the heavy side.

Overall this is going in my "not a beer" category. In and of itself it's not horribly bad; I've had much worse. Yet at the same time if you are looking for a beer with beer flavor, you are not going to be pleasantly surprised by this.

3.65/5  rDev +15.5%

A - Pours a hazy yellow color with a finger thick head that fades relatively quickly.

S - Lemon note is strong. But there are other citrus notes such as orange and even cloves.

T - Lemon peel is strong upfront, and follows you all the way until you swallow. Yeasty finish that would come close to making up for a person's dislike for the lemonness.

O - I can imagine after mowing the lawn or running pouring one of these and enjoying it greatly. Lemons are a little too strong for my liking. It's close to leaving the beer category and entering the fruity fun drink category, which is fine, but this is a BEER.

Depite this I cannot deny that it is a good tasting beer. I liked it and I will no doubt be drinking this again.

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow. Looks like a cough drop. Half finger head. No retention.

This beer smells like a fart to me. A little bit of lemon and grass. Like you shoved a lemon up your ass and shit it back out.

Taste is not much better. Artificial lemon. Grass. Rotten grain. Very poor beer.

Mouthfeel is okay. Watery. High carbonation. Meh.

This beer is pretty gross. Wouldn't seek out.

3.06/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is really interesting - a bright, opaque yellow. There is about a finger-width of foamy head, but it disappears fairly quickly - typical for a citrus beer.

Smell is dominated by lemon, not much else going on there.

Taste is very tart and lemon. It is pretty pleasant for a warm day, but not much "beer" flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice, great amount of carbonation and a very dry finish. Very easy to drink.

Overall, this is my wife's favorite beer and I can see why - it is easy to drink and extremely refreshing. I also like that it isn't overly sweet. I'm more of a fan of subtle fruit beers, however, and the lemon is a bit overpowering for me.

3.46/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Has a hazey yellow straw like color nice white foamy head with good retention.
S: There is a strong lemony smell for sure mixed with a wheatlike corn smell nothing great.
T: Not as bad a i thought it would be accually not bad at all wwheat up front followed buy a strong lemonade flovor.
M:Smooth with a little tingle at the end.
Overall its a very drinkable beer would be good on a hot day but other than that not really my cup of tea.

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%

The appearance is a bright yellow. Kind of a fun color.
In the aroma I get some of the pilsner malts and a good chunk of sugary citrus.
Taste is very sweet with little to no beer flavor. Carbonation is prickly.
If you like lemonade, go for it. If I am in the mood for a radler/shandy I would rather mix lemonade with a lager of my choosing.

3.28/5  rDev +3.8%

I've heard a lot of take about this but everyone has a different taste. This taste like lemonade and if you're a fan of Smirnoff you would probably prefer this because it is manageable taste wise if you're not a big fan of the sweetness in the Smirnoff. I could probably drink more than a few, i.e. manage a six pack, without feeling sick. I would accept this drink but probably not buy it personally just because it's not my "cup of tea."

This beer is all about recovering from a hot long day of work or play. Don't expect malt or hop goodness. Expect a refreshing drink.

A: Cloudy yellow in appearance with a thin head that will lace down the glass if poured.
S: Smells of lemons on lemons with no hint of malt or hops; not a bad thing for this style in my opinion.
T: I liked this beer mainly because it was associated with good memories of when I lived in Bavaria where they would frequently mix a hefeweizen with lemonade making a "Radler." It is perfect for a hot summer day at the pool or just after coming inside.
M: Tiny bubbles, smooth.
D: Very similar to drinking lemonade... you can go until the citrus flavor as coated your tongue beyond comfort.

2.6/5  rDev -17.7%

Tried this at a baseball game last night. I often will at least try seasonal offerings because well...they aren't always available. I had reasonably high hopes because I like regular Linenkugel. I was very disappointed. Way too much lemon flavor. Tastes more like lemonade than beer. Would not order again.

This a great drank ! An A rating for sure, this not a beer but this type of beer usually has mixed with citrus-flavor, lemonade, cider . It is great on hot summer days, Laying on the beach, boating if you are not driving.If you are looking for IPA, pilsner, or sout this beer is not for you.

Appearance is a yellow, orange . The head is retains well.

Smells : lemons, and a some bit of malt and hops

TAste: It taste like lmeons malts and hops. It is very nice balce to it.

Mouthfeel: Is has a great mouthfeel . It is on the light side of medium.

Overall: A great beer to refresh your mouth on a summer day . I am glad six pack of this last night. I will be buying more of this beer in future. Ths is a grea beer!

2.56/5  rDev -19%

Pours a clowdy pale straw, much like an american wheat. Big white head persists. Initial aroma is lemon, but some malt comes through as this beer warms up. First impression is lemonade with beer poured in it (given the bottle says "weiss beer with lemonade" I would say they hit this one almost right on the mark (I would say they need to reverse the order and call it lemonade with weiss beer). I wouldn't buy this stuff, but on a hot day it isn't bad, it goes down easy, but I keep burping up lemon!

2.81/5  rDev -11.1%

App- is light gold murky in the middle

Smells like lemon and a lot of it at that

Taste is a strong lemon bite with a bit of a crisp dry finish at the end, personally I don't care for the taste the lemon is just too obnoxious to me.

MF- nice and smooth, good for summer time relaxation slight carbonation and citrus invades the toungue.

Drinkability- It's ok not that drinkable because I don't care for the taste, give me gumballhead anyday over this.

3.16/5  rDev 0%

APPEARANCE: This beer, poured from a bottle into a pint glass, produced a white foamy, rocky 3.4" head that dissipated somewhat slowly leaving thin head lacing. Carbonation was soft in a slightly cloudy yellow body.

AROMA: There is a light aroma of baked bread together with light notes of orange, lime and lemon (sort of a Lemon Pledge lemon aroma).

TASTE: Taste is much the same, though the baked bread and lemon tastes are a bit stronger than the scent prepared me for.

MOUTHFEEL: This beer has a medium body with a smooth texture, soft carbonation and thin body lacing that dissipates pretty slowly. The initial flavor is lightly sour with a lightly acidic tart finish that lasted for a medium length of time.

DRINKABILITY: Repeatable, easy to drink and a good price point make this an attractive beer for the summer months. The tartness is quite refreshing. The lemony smell surprised at first but it turned out okay. I like the way the flavor keeps shifting from sour (lemon and lime) to malty-sweet to acidic (orange). It's a bit unexpected and definitely adds to the beer's appeal. It would be great for a hot day.

1.75/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Where to start. Pours VERY unnatural cloudy yellow with a decent, fluffy white head.

You can smell this beer from across the room- and not in a good way. The artificial aroma of "Mr.Clean-Lemon" smacks your nose- again, not in a good way. Taste- Oh boy. Astringent Lemon flavors with some wheat. It may not drink well, but I'll bet it shines your floors real nice! I can't detect any hops in this beer. Flavor is very artificial.

How about some good things!
Drink VERY cold. I could see how this could be refreshing in hot weather. I was anxious to try this and unfortunately, I was let down. I wish they had actually used lemons and not "Lemonade Flavor" for this. I think it could have been decent. However...

Swing and a miss.

4/11/08
Just revisited this again to give it another chance. Why do I do stuff like this to myself. I think it's actually worse.

1.73/5  rDev -45.3%

On draft at a ball game. Cloudy light yellow with little head. Aroma is lemonade, sugar, light bread, and very mild hops. Taste is lemon, sugar, and mild beer flavors. It’s like 4.2% abv kool aid. Thin mouthfeel. Meh. Way more of a lemonade than a beer for sure.

3.53/5  rDev +11.7%

Looks, smells and tastes like some strange beer/lemonade hybrid.

Has a cloudy, almost milky appearance. Nice white head with good retention.

I didn't think I would like this one, I haven't had good experiences in the past with fruit "enhanced" beers--see Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic. But I really enjoyed the bottle I had. Maybe it had something to do with the weather; I drank it on a 94-degree day with typical Midwest humidity. Not sure if it's more like lemonade-flavored beer or beer-flavored lemonade, but it is seriously refreshing after mowing the lawn.

3.9/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have drank this from a can and bottle both. The bottle is a little better in my opinion. This is one of my favorite summer beers. Very refreshing on a hot day outside. Good lemonade flavoring that is consistent throughout the entire beer (even as it begins to warm). Drinkability is very good in that the flavor doesn't wear on you and there is no lingering aftertaste. Slight notes of lemonade in the smell. Appears very cloudy as it is an unfiltered wheat (I believe).

Outstanding hot weather beer!

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company