1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2063

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,063 | Reviews: 519 | Show All Ratings:
Brezzy24

3.98/5  rDev +27.2%

This is a great crisp light body summer Ale. Cool refreshing Lemony beer to enjoy at the end of a summer day. This is my go to beer great cook outs and camping. It pours with a nice head and great carbonation. This beer makes it really feel like summer is here.

09-22-2013 21:06:21 | More by Brezzy24
dislogik

Nevada

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

Grabbed this in an attempt to find a good beer to drink on a hot summer day. It is a cloudy yellow color, looks like the typical hefeweizen. The off white head quickly dispersed. The lemon smell over powers any typical beer smell and the taste is almost like drinking lemonade. It's crisp lemony taste is easy to drink, and if you like lemons you'll like the beer. Overall it taste like the typical hefewizen with four or five lemon slices squeezed into it. Decent offering for a hot summer day.

08-18-2009 02:17:46 | More by dislogik
MS22

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

I'll review this beer as it were meant to be tasted . . . on a lake in the summer, in the parking lot of a concert tailgating the day away, etc . . . .

Pours out a pale, slightly cloudy yellow. No heavy carbonation to be noticed.

Smell is straight lemonade. A hint of bread/wheat on the backbone. Enticing when the temps break 90. Extremely enticing when the triple digits come into play.

Taste:
Here is the kicker. I can drink this all day priming up for a concert, at a game, on my boat, etc. At night around a fire, watching football in the fall it falls way short and it would go un-opened. How can one rate a beer a solid B yet a meager D at the same time?!?

Overall I'll give this a C+/B-. Depending on the venue and the atmosphere in which one is drinking, as well as for what purpose one is drinking, this can be a downright good beer or a sadly weak choice.

Drink it when the thermometer breaks 90!

10-06-2011 14:23:09 | More by MS22
Nfl1991

2.88/5  rDev -8%

Had it at a Restaurant, enjoyed it, picked up a 6 pack. Pours a hazy, yellow. Almost looks like pear juice. Pretty nice head, maybe 2 inches, with decent retention and very little lacing. Smells predominantly of lemons, and a bit of malt and hops. Taste compliments the smell. Not bad, but definitely a summer beer. Not something I can drink all the time. Carbonation was off, and the taste was on the "watery" side. Someone said they should just call this "Bud Light with Lemon", but I think it's a bit better than Bud Light, but not by much. If you're outside working or having a BBQ on a hot day, this is the right beer.

06-24-2012 19:54:34 | More by Nfl1991
Ry_Swell_Guy

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

A very dull, overly sweat beer. Low ABV and very small amount of hops. Not a great beer for me, my neighbor loves it thought, so you very well may as well! It really tastes very lemony, but not subtle lemon like some beers I have had that are brewed with lemon rind, more like it was cut with lemonade or they used a very potent lemon extract.

07-05-2013 18:56:39 | More by Ry_Swell_Guy
davidaubrey

4.7/5  rDev +50.2%

I poured this beer into a Hoegaarden Pint glass. There was little lacing, which immediately dissipated.

Flavor is mild and sweet. The flavor of a weiss beer immediately floods the palate. The lemon flavor is strong and sour. High marks for refreshment.

The aftertaste is all lemonade.

I just moved back to Illinois from California this summer. As such, I had know of the Leinenkugel beers, but had not tried any of them.

I was immediately thrilled to see that they a beer shandy. My college internship was in Windhoek, Namibia. There I spent many summer nights with my teammates enjoying Zebra, Sprinbok, & beer shandies.

Kudos to Leinies for bringing an unique beer flavor to the market. I enjoyed it with a little nostolgia & while listening to Paul Simon's "Graceland" album.

07-26-2008 04:35:02 | More by davidaubrey
skiboy

1.88/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well, it come in a 12 oz brown longneck so I guess it's beer, but you could toss this one back like it was -- umm -- lemonade. I would have drunk this when I was a teen who liked the idea of drinking beer but not the beer taste. Did I mention it's really lemony -- like if you drank one immediately after reading this, you'd think "Wow, that was more lemony than I had expected". Lemony is a nice word -- try working it into a sentence today.

07-22-2008 17:37:51 | More by skiboy
drouss48

New Hampshire

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

The first time I tried this beer was when a friend of mine shared one out of a Leines' sampler. I was very impressed, and couldn't wait to get my hands on a 6 pack of my own. However accomplishing these was easier said than done, as I couldn't find this beer anywhere here in New Hampshire. Recently though I have seen is popping up in several stores, so I picked myself up a 6 pack for around $8.

Unfortunatley, I was not as impressed with the beer as I worked my way through the sixer. The beer pours an odd yellow, maybe a little too yellow. The smell is pleasing to the nose, but it smells more of lemons than it does of beer. The mouthfeel is nice, as you taste the sweetness of the lemon, but also the slight bitterness of the wheat. It's the aftertaste that threw me, as the more I drank the stronger the sweet aftertaste lasted. In the end I think this is a good beer to have every once in a while on a hot day. But it is not a great drinking session beer.

08-06-2008 11:43:35 | More by drouss48
DasPuma

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured into a stein glass.

Even with an aggressive pour, only a thin head is obtained. Head dissipates VERY quickly, with no lacing at all.

Has a hazy lemonade appearance, just with a slightly darker cooler and some light carbonation.

Slight lemon smell, kind of sweet.

Sweet taste with a hint of tangyness at the end. Finishes fairly clean, but does leave the mouth a little puckered without a sour aftertaste. After the first one, the sweetness tends to build, bordering on overpowering. With the low ABV though, I could see how some reviewers have said it has high drinkability.

Overall not really impressed, and probably won't try this type of beer again. I've tried a few different types of fruit/vegetable beers, and I've yet to find one I really like.

06-24-2012 00:56:29 | More by DasPuma
CDGoin

3.38/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Not a bad beer.. just a bit too strong on the lemon. Best described as an Cream Ale with a strong lemon addition.

Proved to be overly tart lemony and with little sweetness.. Closer to a dry Mikes Hard lemonade than a Lager or an Ale.

I can see it being a good summer beer or a beer for someone that normally doesn't drink beer. For me though I think I will pass next time.

04-30-2013 18:05:27 | More by CDGoin
scomstock55

Kansas

2.94/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A--poured a murky unfiltered yellow with a slight wispy head that was gone in a flash...very little lacing

S--smelled very much like a lemon-drop candy. Faintly sweet citrus aroma

T--very citrusy...almost like lemon tonic very refreshing flavor...

M--crispy dry finish...light with very little after taste of feel on the tongue
\
O--an okay beer that would be good on a very hot day...easy to drink and easy to find

06-10-2013 13:52:23 | More by scomstock55
ericalbion

Vermont

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%

After the Berry Weiss, I was very cautious about another fruity selection from Leinenkugels, but I bought the sample pack so I proceeded onwards.

This beer is actually pretty good, (especially in comparison to the Berry Weiss.) The lemonade flavor is subtle and I found it was really nice on a hot day, I felt like I was having a beer which maybe had been garnished with a slice of lemon. No problem!

A - A smooth dirty yellow, with a light white head.

S - Smells like beer, a major advantage. Slight hint of lemon in the scent, but it mostly only smelled like beer, mostly.

T - Tasted like a beer that you wouldn't buy all the time, but the girl working at the dock likes it so you order it, and she sticks a slice of lemon on there and slips you her number after you fix her shirt tag, which was sticking out. Then you wake up in your lawn chair and you've got no number and no lemon slice, but its hot and this beer is keeping you pretty cool.

M - smooth, no acidity from lemon or otherwise, very cool and refreshing.

D - smooth, tasty, not too sweet or sour from the lemon, easy drinking. A step up from mikes hard lemonade, somewhere in between mikes and a real beer.

Overall - not bad, I drank all 3 from the sampler while the other two berry weiss lie in wait for some sucker to try.

07-28-2009 13:29:33 | More by ericalbion
hworking

3.85/5  rDev +23%

The summer shandy it's a bit cloudy and has very little head to it The smell of it isn't too bad but it does have a good lemonade taste to it but a bit of a after taste it is a great beer to drink on a hot day out in the sun overall it's a good beer

08-07-2010 20:29:18 | More by hworking
GuyNamedSid

3.83/5  rDev +22.4%

Smell- Strong citrus

Looks- Dirty blonde and cloudy

Taste-Right from the start you get a strong lemon zest that progresses into a thirst quenching brew.

Overall - Not the best summer beer by far, but worth trying. I'd say give it a go. It's a great summer beer to complement a summer BBQ or day at the pool/lake/beach.

06-23-2012 15:17:41 | More by GuyNamedSid
ShawnB

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style.

07-04-2013 01:32:49 | More by ShawnB
santafr0g

3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

Glass – Pint

A – Pours a pale, cloud yellow color that looks more like murky yellow-chalk water than a pale wheat shandygaff. Head is soapy in appearance and a slight off white color (may be my lighting?)

S – Smells like lemonade with a hint of alcohol.

T / M – Tastes off-wheat with carbonated sour lemonade. The mouthfeel is crisp and light.

D – Not my style, but could easily kick a few of these back, especially on a hot day.

08-04-2007 00:50:26 | More by santafr0g
ChadS99SVT

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev +8%

Picked up a 6pack of this today.

Appearance is cloudy and light yellow in color.

Smell is pretty overwhelmingly sweet lemon.

Taste has lots of lemon up front, but fades quickly nice balance of tart/sweetness. Really does taste a lot like lemonade. So if you like lemonade you will probably enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel has low carb. balanced finish.

Drinkability is pretty good. it's slightly more lemony than I prefer, but it's not to bad..on a nice hot summer day it's perfect.

06-22-2009 06:57:16 | More by ChadS99SVT
scottmbolt

A+. Hands down. I don't understand why this beer is getting such bad reviews from other users. Here is the way I look at the Shandy: it is not a "beer" per say, but a delicious flavored beverage that goes hand-in-hand with hot summer days, laying on the beach, going out on the boat, or sitting around a bonfire on the back deck on a late July night. Now if I am looking for an actual "beer", than I am not going for the Shandy. That is the point - the Shandy is a beer made perfect for specific conditions. It is extremely easy to drink, so it's a good session beer. The color is perfect for summer - a nice cloudy yellow with a white foam head. It has a sweetness to it, so I can totally see how that may turn off some of the other reviewers. Great for BBQ's and lazy summer days.

02-10-2011 14:43:19 | More by scottmbolt
matthewlikesbeer

3.85/5  rDev +23%

Refreshing. Really easy to drink. Doesn't taste like beer, and doesn't taste like alcohol. Mostly a natural lemon drink with bubbles. Honestly I could drink an even more lemon-ey drink in higher ABV like this kind of style, but this tastes excellent and with no bitterness

Serving type: can

08-13-2013 03:28:08 | More by matthewlikesbeer
WorksforBeer

Maine

4.1/5  rDev +31%

When evaluating this beer, you must remember the style, and evaluate it accordingly. It's a "Shandy" - a mixture of "lager and lime" - very common and popular in the UK. Having spent some time in the UK, I feel qualified to say it isn't bad - FOR A SHANDY. Although I've been in bars in the US where someone has ordered "half (whatever is on tap) and half Sprite", I think this is an improvement.

08-30-2009 21:50:31 | More by WorksforBeer
Careerinbeer

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer when first tasting it was nice. Good summer beer. After drinking more than 1 or 2 though it becomes old. Also its got a low ABV which is kind of a disappointment. Overall I believe its a good beer to try but not something I could buy weekly.

07-20-2010 21:45:34 | More by Careerinbeer
ChrisWashington

3.93/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have drank this from a can and bottle both. The bottle is a little better in my opinion. This is one of my favorite summer beers. Very refreshing on a hot day outside. Good lemonade flavoring that is consistent throughout the entire beer (even as it begins to warm). Drinkability is very good in that the flavor doesn't wear on you and there is no lingering aftertaste. Slight notes of lemonade in the smell. Appears very cloudy as it is an unfiltered wheat (I believe).

Outstanding hot weather beer!

07-22-2010 01:34:05 | More by ChrisWashington
razordm

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

Had never heard of the brewer but have bought a number of their beer recently as part of pick 6 sales at the local market. Slight leamonaid flavor, crisp, and refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. Nice head and aroma. I might buy this beer on occasion in the future but would not 'search' for the beer if headed for a party and I wanted to impress friends with my selections.

08-26-2012 22:44:18 | More by razordm
Afree

Iowa

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Reminds me of the boat, bass, cabin and the summer months. My choice in the summer everytime.

I drank it out of the bottle and the smell was fine, bit of fruitiness smell and tiny bit of grain. Taste is good and the mouthfeel fantastic during the summer months. Drinkability is fair, wouldn't be my choice to pound these one night, would rather go for some rolling rock.

02-23-2011 23:05:43 | More by Afree
Superfly3176

1.95/5  rDev -37.7%

I tried this a few weeks ago when we went out to dinner. I was expecting a mild lemon malt taste. It wasn't mild at all, the lemon taste was downright overpowering.

The beer pours a nice yellow to gold color. Had a good head to it. I'm not a big fan of this type of beer, too sweet for my taste. But Widmer Brothers Citra Blonde Summer brew was by far better tasting.

07-05-2011 23:28:46 | More by Superfly3176