Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

hockeyfighter19, Nov 24, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured into a pint glass.
A: Cloudy lemonade yellow. Short head that dissipates quickly.
S: Smells like dried lemonade mix.
T: Tastes more like lemonade than beer. I haven't had a Mike's in a while but would be curious to drink one side by side with this. A bit of caramel malt on the finish.
M: Nice, light, crispy.
O: Overall it's better than the sum of its parts. Not a complex or traditional beer, but a tasty summer drink.

ONUMello, Jun 20, 2011

mikepcarney, Feb 22, 2013

Maillard, Jul 07, 2013
3.39/5  rDev +8%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

pjkelley82, Jun 09, 2013

Zetcha7x, Mar 11, 2014

drbenderdo, Jun 25, 2013
3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a cloudy straw color with thick fluffy head. Smells like lemons with a little bit of wheat beer mixed in. Tastes pretty much like it smells, lemonade all the way through until the end where you can detect a wheat beer and citrus bitterness. A lemon overload. Mouthfeel is ok. I do like lemons, so it is definitely drinkable, but on a summer day I would prefer a hefe or something slightly less acidic and citrus tasting.

Kromes, May 02, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -60.2%

A- murky lemon yellow. bif foaming white head fizzles down fast with some spots of lace left behind. little bits of yeast float about in the brew.

S- lemon candy and dish soap with no other detectable aromas.

T- artificial and medicinal, lemon soap, some plain white bread in the finish with an unpleasant aftertaste.

MF- thin, fizzy, and starchy feeling. not all that refreshing due to the strange flavor.

D- i've made my own radlers by mixing home made lemonade with a good german beer, but this is undrinkable for me.

hustlesworth, Dec 08, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a murky, light yellow color with very thin fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

It has a very strong lemon hopp scent.

Also a strong lemony taste, tastes more like lemonade than beer. Slightly bitter finish, pretty refreshing.

Very light-bodied, crisp mouthfeel with fizzy carbonation.

Very drinkable beer. This is a very refreshing beer and very light, so it would be easy to drink quite a few.

BeerCon5, Jun 26, 2008

Schlafly33, May 15, 2013

justinm4bama, Mar 22, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a hazy dark urine color with two fingers of white head.

Smells of strong lemon pledge and lemon rind.

Wheat and lemon rind with some light bitterness on the finish.

Light-bodied with crisp carbonation and a tart, drying finish.

I can definitely see the appeal of this one, it's just not my thing. I'm not sure how traditional this "shandy" is anyways.

samie85, Apr 12, 2012

Ralphs66, Aug 05, 2013
3.84/5  rDev +22.3%

A: This beer screams summer to me, a lemon shandy.. the best appearance for a beer on a very hot summer day in my opinion.

S: Lemons, lemons and more lemons. faint lemon rind smell.

T: Tart at first, then mellows out almost like a lemonhead candy. wonderfully tasty and quenching when its miserable hot out.

M: Thin and crisp, yep.

O: Session friendly. Kicked many of these back in college.. great beer for chilling around the house/pool/lake on a nice Michigan summer day.

Drk93TT, May 13, 2012

taospowder, Jun 10, 2013

Hendrick24, Jan 23, 2014

Tschnab, Jun 12, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle from a 6-pack with 07218 mark (best by July, 21, 2008)

A- Looks like a very sweet lemonade. Transluscent, but I can't see through it. Fizzy head with soda bubbles.

S- Smells like a hard lemonade. I was expecting beer, but all liquor is good.

T- Not enough lemon flavor to be hard lemonade and not enough beer flavor to be a beer. Nothing offensive, but nothing impressive.

M&D- Feels light bodied and watery which is what I like. Easy to pound down when well refrigerated. Goes down like a nice glass of mineral water.

Overall- I will drink this when I want a light, refreshing, non-filling alcoholic beverage. Which is not often.

P.S.- This does not taste like other American Pale Wheat Ales. More like a Fruit/Vegetable beer if even a beer.

EnojysAnyBeer, May 14, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow. Like Hoegaarden. Not as much foam, but good lacing.

Smell: Lemon with an earthy lemongrass aroma as well. I would like this a bit stronger though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Summer Shandy lives up to its billing as a mixture of lemonade and beer. I know they serve stuff like this in Germany, particularly in the Munich area. I have to say I find the taste quite pleasant and detect an acceptable amount of malt as well in the finish. I worried this would taste like Sprite. I'm glad to be wrong.

Drinkability: Hey, it's lemonade.

Overall: It's not the greatest beer in the planet. But really? Is that the point with Summer Shandy? No. It's meant to be a refreshing SUMMER SHANDY. On those grounds I give this beer a positive review.

tjsdomer2, Jul 04, 2010

Troville1990, Jul 06, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

StArnoldFan, Jul 03, 2013