Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
BeerCon5

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a murky, light yellow color with very thin fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

It has a very strong lemon hopp scent.

Also a strong lemony taste, tastes more like lemonade than beer. Slightly bitter finish, pretty refreshing.

Very light-bodied, crisp mouthfeel with fizzy carbonation.

Very drinkable beer. This is a very refreshing beer and very light, so it would be easy to drink quite a few.

06-26-2008 20:52:12 | More by BeerCon5

07-07-2013 05:20:48 | More by Maillard
NODAK

Tennessee

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Definitely has a lemonade smell to it, and not sweet lemons either...pretty tart stuff. I approve of that, as I prefer tart lemonade versus too sweet.

Taste of the beer is certainly dominated by the lemon, but it isn't something I'd necessarily characterize as sweet or overally tart. It's really somewhere in the middle, leaning more towards tart. There's quite a high wheat presence in the finish of the beer, as well as a little sweetness that peeks through, which I will assume is the honey. Rightly so, it plays a backseat role to the lemon and wheat.

It isn't bad...pretty refreshing, though I was hoping for a bit more of a tart drink (I'm glad it wasn't really sweet, though). I'm not sure how often I'd drink this if I had a lot of good craft available, because there are other summer seasonals which I generally enjoy more than this.

04-30-2011 02:07:35 | More by NODAK
ccozzi

06-05-2012 00:53:46 | More by ccozzi
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

01-17-2013 05:33:48 | More by BrownAleMale
pjkelley82

3.39/5  rDev +8%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

06-09-2013 04:49:44 | More by pjkelley82

StArnoldFan

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

07-03-2013 01:00:32 | More by StArnoldFan
BigMike

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

09-27-2013 20:49:14 | More by BigMike
Celtics76

Rhode Island

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Bought a 12-pack of cans - easy drinking for a tailgate party prior to the Radiohead show in Mansfield. I have a few left over in the fridge so I thought I'd put a review in.

About a half inch of head right after the pour into a Harpoon IPA pint glass. Cloudy as hell appearance, medium yellow color. Tastes like half lemonade, half beer..sugary aftertaste. It's not so bad. I don't think I would get many complaints if I had it available for a cookout.

At 4.2% ABV, it's very easy to pound a few without even thinking about it. Very refreshing, outdoor beer but not one I would recommend if you have a crew of craft beer lovers coming over.

06-08-2012 21:46:56 | More by Celtics76
taospowder

New Mexico

06-10-2013 02:02:16 | More by taospowder
HopDerek

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a hazy light yellow with 1 and a half fingers of foamy white head that has average retention and some good lacing. Smells of lemonade, wheat, and lemon candy. Tastes of sweet lemonade at first with some wheaty bread coming in behind the lemon sweetness. Finishes with a little extra punch of lemon zest. Light in body with medium carbonation, really sweet and lemon filled. Refreshing and extremely easy to drink, good on those hot summer days, but a little too much like lemonade not enough like beer for me to want to session. Wouldn't mind having one after mowing the grass though.

06-25-2008 21:41:03 | More by HopDerek
Cooker_stp

08-27-2013 12:03:04 | More by Cooker_stp
PatrickJR

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

I didn't have any specific interest in trying this beer, but when the sixers dropped to 3.99, I figured it'd be party beer for a week or two.

Based on some quick "research" regarding a shandy, I'm going to try to be as fair as possible.

A - Cloudy, bright yellow. Definitely the color of lemonade. A finger or two of white head rises quickly, like soda pop, and subsides just as quickly, leaving a thick collar. Some lacing.

S - Lemonade. A little on the artificial side. There's also the very distinct earthy, typical American wheat aroma in the background. The two actually make for a pleasant, albeit simple, aroma.

T - Lemon takes hold at first, but it's more like "lemon flavor" and a bit weak at that. No sourness at all, but definitely semi-sweet. The actual wheat character tries to pull through despite the assumed dilution, but it never translates into much more than simple cereal grain. Finish is clean.

M - Moderate carbonation, and a horribly light and watery body.

D - This stuff couldn't be much easier to put back. It's very unoffensive, but the problem is none of the flavors are strong enough. Everything about the beer is weak, and all I can take away is a vague lemon flavor over a weird light-beer graininess.

09-21-2008 09:31:16 | More by PatrickJR
MoreThanWine

3.58/5  rDev +14%

Poured a 3/4" white head. Hazy lemonade yellow colored body. Smells like lemonade. Taste is pretty much as to be expected half weiss beer and half lemonade. Although there is some lemonade sweetness I don't personally think it was even a fraction as sweet as a typical off the shelf lemonade. Plus if it had instead been predominately beer with just a little lemonade spike it would be been more like one of those BMC's with lemon or lime twist. So all in all I thought this delivered exactly what the label indicated. And yes, it's refreshing.

07-10-2011 11:55:04 | More by MoreThanWine