Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,212 | Reviews: 674
3.72/5  rDev +17.7%

Very refreshing...especially on this 95 degree SPRING day in PA!!! However, remindes me of "Mike's Hard Lemonade"...but better, actually. (Less ABV%, but that's ok!) Nice change of pace...but not for an old-time "beer-drinker." It's worth a try...especially in the hot months....but NOT a beer to have with the game...or with your old man!!! Smooth, refreshing, and LEMONY!!! Good summer refresher. Leinie does a good job...and they're very unique. Gotta give 'em that. Cheers and saaalute my BA FRIENDS! Happy summer '08!!!!

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Never having tried this style before I don't want to be harsh. However having friends familliar with the style from living in Germany I don't feel so bad giving this review.
Aroma is "countrytime" lemonade mix. Not the drink, the powder. Very acidic . Pours an odd shade of milky yellow with a billowing cream head that lasts throughout leaving quite a bit of lacing. I cannot taste any beer in this. Its all lemonade. Very acidic and harsh. Quite a bit of carbonation in conjunction with the lemonade makes it more like a soda. I can see where they were going with this but just went overboard on the lemonade. If it was a more natural lemon flavor it would probably be pretty good. but this tastes very artificial.

3.57/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A : Pours a pale, hazy yellow. Two finger width of head that dissipates over a few minutes.

S : Very pleasant notes of citrus - definitely picking up the lemonade scent. Tad notes of wheat/malt.

T : Again, pleasant. Citrusy and lemony, quite refreshing. Can also taste slight wheat.

M : Light-medium mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Overall, a very refreshing beer. I enjoyed this one.

3.44/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy this beer on a hot summer eve. Also a good beer to cook with. Packers suck!!

2.56/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The finacee's favorite beer.

It's an attractive pale yellow with good haze and a white head. The flavor is a lot like lemon extract that you use for baking, which isn't to my tastes. I find a Radler a lot more charming, but this beats one I had once with actual, pulpy lemonade.

3.68/5  rDev +16.5%

Hmm? I liked this but it is certainly a departure. Some people may spit this out confusing it with a lemonade. You can smell the terpenes before you even get this to your face. The head was almost non-existent which could have been operator error on the part of the kids bartending. But all in all it was refreshing on a warm day which is its intention. It wasn't overly sweet even though it was incredibly flavorful and it didn't have the astringency usually associated with poorer versions. This one falls into the lawnmowers or daygame category alongside Samual Adams Summer Ale.

3.92/5  rDev +24.1%

Instead of most summer beers which are a beer with lemonade flavor, this is a lemonade with lemonade flavor. More comparable to Mike's Hard Lemonade, minus the severe heartburn. This is very tastey stuff; potentially the most refreshing summer beer you can buy. I think it's great, although It's certainly on the fringes of the "malt beverage" catagory. The big difference, though, is no cloying sweetness or obvious sugar additives. I'll be stocking up of this for the summer months.

3.32/5  rDev +5.1%

The shandy to me is a symbol of summer. I still look forward every year to seeing these guys on the shelves at the local liquor store. The color of the beer is a cloudy yellow with a white small foam head. This beer smells like a nice tall glass of lemonade to me more than a beer. The taste is more like a lemonade drink than a beer to me but I really do enjoy the taste due to the refreshing feel that comes with it. The name says it all this "beer" is definitely taylor made for those hot summer days spent on the hammock.

Definitely not a bad beer at all, but as I grow older I find myself more drawn to the hoppy citrus flavors than the straight lemonade approach.

3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

A mix of beer and lemonade, and Leinenkugel gets both parts wrong.

This beer looks nice: hazy and rich, with a big frothy white head. Like a good hefeweizen.

It smells like lemon zest, pale wheat and corn; basically, cheap beer with bottled lemon concentrate.

Tastes like sugar water with a twist. There are hints of pale ale, and a bit of beery aftertaste. But the beer tastes weak and the lemonade tastes powdered.

It's easy drinking, and at only 4.2% ABV, very sessionable. But why bother?

1.7/5  rDev -46.2%

Unfortunately, in spite of my love for Leine's Sunset Wheat, I have yet to enjoy any of their other varieties. Although not as sickening as the Berry Weiss, this beer is no exception. It smells and tastes exactly like watered down lemonade. It reminds of Mike's Hard Lemonade, which I dislike, as it tastes nothing like beer. I imagine Leinenkugel is attempting to copy Radler (A combination of beer and Sprite), as this made me think of the Radler I drank in Germany. However, there is not enough beer flavor to this brew to make it enjoyable. I couldn't finish even one bottle.

3.34/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at Roosters in Columbus, Ohio.

Served in a tall pint glass. Beer had basically 0 head when it got to me. Looks more like a glass of lemonade than a glass of beer.

Smells kind of like a lemonhead candy with a bit of wheat in the background. Nose is pretty impressive but ...

The taste is disappointing. The lemon notes that come across in the nose don't make it through. Beer is a bit too bland and grainy for me.

Mouthfeel is quite light. Carbonation levels are a bit low and the beer comes across as a bit watery.

Overall, I'd buy this for a hot afternoon out grilling or on the boat. Otherwise, I'll drink something else.

1.97/5  rDev -37.7%

Presentation 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance: An awful looking pale straw colour that looks like a cloudy lemonade with semen in it.

Smell: It smells of sour lemonade that has gone wrong even worse than a mikes hard and really no hint of hops or malts just sour fake lemonade flavour that really kills the senses.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Asinine! really really just terrible nothing good about this beer justifies it except that you can drink it fast but why would you do that when the acid would give you gut rot, I really love Leinies beer but this a an awful product that leaves the worst aftertaste and should never be boughten again I'm going to call them and get my refund back.

2.56/5  rDev -19%

A-pale hazy yellow and almost no head

S-Faint lemons not much else

T-It tastes like a shandy should...lemonade and beer but the flavors aren't very good. The lemon flavor over rides the beer flavor completely.

M-Very carbonated and watery. Very similar to the typical BMC.

O-Not impressed. I can see how a lot of folks would go for this in the summer but for me this beer seems to miss the mark

1.66/5  rDev -47.5%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it.

1.43/5  rDev -54.7%

Tried to figure out if I was drinking lemon pledge or carbonated lemonade with a strong alcohol feel.

3.81/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer at a company party. It was surprisingly tasty. Strong lemon notes but it was smooth almost malty. Overall very enjoyable and easy to drink!

4.15/5  rDev +31.3%

This is a really surprisingly tasty beer. I had one straight out of a bottle at a party and liked it so much I wanted to give it a real taste at home. The ale taste is low end but the lemonade flavor perks it right up and makes this a very drinkable beer.

2.92/5  rDev -7.6%

Pint on tap

A - Cloudy, straw color. Finger of white foam, Decent retention. Carbonated

S - Smells of light lemons. Thats really about all I pick up.

T - Meh...follows the nose. Some lemon peel, very light malts. Lemon lingers on the tongue after the finish. Just not much there for me.

M - Very light bodied, highly carbonated. Watery thin.

O - The appearance surprised me. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness. Just not a fan. I'm not a fruit beer guy to being with and this one just confirms yet again why.

1.83/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

this beer is not good at all

3.92/5  rDev +24.1%

I liked this beer more than I thoght I would. I was expecting a Miller Chill and got more than I thought I would.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It was a dull yellow and hazy with a decent head but very little retention.

Smell was very fresh and somewhat lemonade-ish. Really didn't get much of a hint that it was beer. Pleasant.

Taste was very good. I am not sure it would taste as good if it tasted more like beer or not. It is probably too lemony for some or most but it is not lemonade. The unfiltered nature of it keeps it from being Miller Chill soda pop like. Ultra refreshing. Would be a real hit on a hot summer day. Not an everyday beer by any means but in small doses at the real time it should be just the ticket.

Mouthfeel was slick and easy. Felt good on the tongue and coated the throat a little on the way down. Certainly not thick but less watery than I thought.

Drinkability. Again, in the right place, at the right time, I believe you could drink one after another. At 4.2% and with the slickness with which it goes, it is very drinkable. Not for everyone and probably not for purists but as a fun recreational drink I think Leine's got what they were going for. Would defintely have again.

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

Very refreshing, but as the beer warms it loses the refreshing taste. The lemon nuances are definitely there. Best served ice cold.

3.78/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer has a prominent lemonade taste. It is tailor-made for a summer's day.

3.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a thick, weaky, frothy head, not really thick and impressive. The beer is a hazy, cloudy yellow. The smell is nothing to be impressed by, but not offensive either. The beer is a bit syrup like, or cheap, not super hight quality in terms of being a lemonade beer. This is an easily drinkable, but not outstanding brew. I've had it before, I'll have it again, and I enjoy it, but it isn't anything to be wowed by.

It tastes like lemon. I'm not going to lie, the lemon was over powering and I didn't much care for it. If you like a strong lemon flavor, this may be the beer for you.
Leinenliugel's - Honey Weiss. This wasn't as bad, You could taste the honey in it. It wasn't a particular strong wheat beer or that memorable seeing how I just drank it and nothing really stands out.

3.92/5  rDev +24.1%

A - Cloudy, yellow color - looking like most good wietbier's I've had. Looks a tiny bit off like you can see the lemonade in it
S - Strong citrusy, lemons and limes, smells good
T - . Typical wheat-flavors, with good NATURAL tasting lemon flavor. I was worried about this being too sweet but it isn't.
M - Medium bodied, a little on the thin side, light carbonation.
D - In short - I like this. Much better then Leinenekuger's ill fated Berry weiser, this one still tastes like beer. The lemonade/lemon flavor introduced is natural and not sickly sweet. I see people comparing this to Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I think that's a complete stretch. This is just a decent wietbier with some lemon flavors added to it which complements it well.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company