Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
3.25/5  rDev +3.5%

Tschnab, Jun 12, 2013
1.3/5  rDev -58.6%

This sounded like a good idea after a sweltering hot Cubs game. Little did I know that I was wrong. This comes straight at you with an artificial lemon scent and taste. This "lemon" taste masks any traces of malt or hops. A real Shandy is refreshing, this tastes more like Mr Clean. mouthfeel was light. I didn't finish this one.

I would recommend mixing fresh squeezed lemonade with a decent lager. This is more like a Smiroff ice type artificial tasting malternative

sleazo, Aug 06, 2007
3.39/5  rDev +8%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

pjkelley82, Jun 09, 2013

justinm4bama, Mar 22, 2012

A= pours a medium-yellow, very densely hazed almost like a good weizen except that it's more like the chemical citrus powder used in some cheap fruit-beverages. Lots of foaming carbonation causing more of a volcanic foam than a true head.

S= biting on the nose, huge whiffs of fake lemon scent like Lemon Pledge furniture polish.

T= fake lemon taste, sour powdered-citric acid bite, something that might actually be hops bite but more likely citric-acid chemical-bite.

M= sour like a LemonHeads candy disguising what seems to be the lingering taste of a really cheap bargain-barrel quality beer.

D= my stomach couldn't handle even half a bottle of this.

therica, Sep 12, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Hazy lemon yellow brew. Pours about a finger of white foam which is gone pretty quickly. Weak lace which quickly returns to liquid.

Bright citrus and wheat aroma.

Solid wheat backbone, bread-like and smooth. Then the lemon comes in and dominates the rest of the drink. I can't really detect any hops over the lemon flavor. Not terrible just too much.

Light to medium body. Lively bubbles. Smooth mid-drink and crisp from the lemon. Easy drinking.

This stuff is ok. Too much emphasis on the lemon. Would make a good summer session beer though.

bnes09, May 28, 2011
3.48/5  rDev +10.8%

If you're drinking this you know it's a shandy as clearly stated on the label summer shandy. Smell is lemony certainly. Refreshing. Taste is lightly malty wheat beer with a refreshing dose of lightly tart lemonade. It's just about right for sweetness in terms of the lemonade flavor. I wouldn't want more than a couple, but it's one of the better flavored mass produced beers I've had.

JackieTH, Jun 15, 2012

GeorgeCarroll, Aug 14, 2014
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

StArnoldFan, Jul 03, 2013

Cooker_stp, Aug 27, 2013

BrownAleMale, Jan 17, 2013

ironchefmiyagi13, Aug 03, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Bought a 12-pack of cans - easy drinking for a tailgate party prior to the Radiohead show in Mansfield. I have a few left over in the fridge so I thought I'd put a review in.

About a half inch of head right after the pour into a Harpoon IPA pint glass. Cloudy as hell appearance, medium yellow color. Tastes like half lemonade, half beer..sugary aftertaste. It's not so bad. I don't think I would get many complaints if I had it available for a cookout.

At 4.2% ABV, it's very easy to pound a few without even thinking about it. Very refreshing, outdoor beer but not one I would recommend if you have a crew of craft beer lovers coming over.

Celtics76, Jun 08, 2012