Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
gpawned

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

03-20-2013 13:55:21 | More by gpawned
StArnoldFan

2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

07-03-2013 01:00:32 | More by StArnoldFan
NODAK

Tennessee

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Definitely has a lemonade smell to it, and not sweet lemons either...pretty tart stuff. I approve of that, as I prefer tart lemonade versus too sweet.

Taste of the beer is certainly dominated by the lemon, but it isn't something I'd necessarily characterize as sweet or overally tart. It's really somewhere in the middle, leaning more towards tart. There's quite a high wheat presence in the finish of the beer, as well as a little sweetness that peeks through, which I will assume is the honey. Rightly so, it plays a backseat role to the lemon and wheat.

It isn't bad...pretty refreshing, though I was hoping for a bit more of a tart drink (I'm glad it wasn't really sweet, though). I'm not sure how often I'd drink this if I had a lot of good craft available, because there are other summer seasonals which I generally enjoy more than this.

04-30-2011 02:07:35 | More by NODAK
ccozzi

06-05-2012 00:53:46 | More by ccozzi
Celtics76

Rhode Island

3.13/5  rDev -0.3%

Bought a 12-pack of cans - easy drinking for a tailgate party prior to the Radiohead show in Mansfield. I have a few left over in the fridge so I thought I'd put a review in.

About a half inch of head right after the pour into a Harpoon IPA pint glass. Cloudy as hell appearance, medium yellow color. Tastes like half lemonade, half beer..sugary aftertaste. It's not so bad. I don't think I would get many complaints if I had it available for a cookout.

At 4.2% ABV, it's very easy to pound a few without even thinking about it. Very refreshing, outdoor beer but not one I would recommend if you have a crew of craft beer lovers coming over.

06-08-2012 21:46:56 | More by Celtics76

1.5/5  rDev -52.2%

09-27-2013 20:49:14 | More by BigMike
HopDerek

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a hazy light yellow with 1 and a half fingers of foamy white head that has average retention and some good lacing. Smells of lemonade, wheat, and lemon candy. Tastes of sweet lemonade at first with some wheaty bread coming in behind the lemon sweetness. Finishes with a little extra punch of lemon zest. Light in body with medium carbonation, really sweet and lemon filled. Refreshing and extremely easy to drink, good on those hot summer days, but a little too much like lemonade not enough like beer for me to want to session. Wouldn't mind having one after mowing the grass though.

06-25-2008 21:41:03 | More by HopDerek
Cooker_stp

08-27-2013 12:03:04 | More by Cooker_stp
PatrickJR

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

I didn't have any specific interest in trying this beer, but when the sixers dropped to 3.99, I figured it'd be party beer for a week or two.

Based on some quick "research" regarding a shandy, I'm going to try to be as fair as possible.

A - Cloudy, bright yellow. Definitely the color of lemonade. A finger or two of white head rises quickly, like soda pop, and subsides just as quickly, leaving a thick collar. Some lacing.

S - Lemonade. A little on the artificial side. There's also the very distinct earthy, typical American wheat aroma in the background. The two actually make for a pleasant, albeit simple, aroma.

T - Lemon takes hold at first, but it's more like "lemon flavor" and a bit weak at that. No sourness at all, but definitely semi-sweet. The actual wheat character tries to pull through despite the assumed dilution, but it never translates into much more than simple cereal grain. Finish is clean.

M - Moderate carbonation, and a horribly light and watery body.

D - This stuff couldn't be much easier to put back. It's very unoffensive, but the problem is none of the flavors are strong enough. Everything about the beer is weak, and all I can take away is a vague lemon flavor over a weird light-beer graininess.

09-21-2008 09:31:16 | More by PatrickJR

Louisiana

05-23-2013 12:12:02 | More by JamesStreet
MoreThanWine

3.58/5  rDev +14%

Poured a 3/4" white head. Hazy lemonade yellow colored body. Smells like lemonade. Taste is pretty much as to be expected half weiss beer and half lemonade. Although there is some lemonade sweetness I don't personally think it was even a fraction as sweet as a typical off the shelf lemonade. Plus if it had instead been predominately beer with just a little lemonade spike it would be been more like one of those BMC's with lemon or lime twist. So all in all I thought this delivered exactly what the label indicated. And yes, it's refreshing.

07-10-2011 11:55:04 | More by MoreThanWine

08-14-2014 17:54:52 | More by GeorgeCarroll
Nerudamann

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Look - very light straw color, cloudy, lemonaide-looking. Good foam, about two finger's worth. Good carbonation, but hard to see due to cloudiness.

Smell - definite lemon smell. More hoppy than malty, but not extremely hoppy.

Taste - very strong lemon taste. Tastes like it should have an entire lemon floating in it...I can't get too far past it in the taste to find anything else.

Mouthfeel - medium..somewhat light, somewhat creamy.

Drinkability - probably not the greatest beer, but in terms of repeat drinkability, with the lower abv and not-very-beer-like taste, you could come back to this type of beer a few times.

07-08-2010 03:34:36 | More by Nerudamann
Strix

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a darkish cloudy yellow, which doesn't look that appealing, with decent head

Smells pretty much exactly like Country Time Lemonade

Tastes predominately like Country Time Lemonade as well, then kind of fades to a Honey Weiss-like vague beer flavor. Lacking complexity.

Mouthfeel is incredibly light. Which is all right, considering what this beer is trying to be I guess.

I guess I have mixed feelings about this one. This is drinkable, but not very beerlike. More like Smirnoff Ice or Mike's Hard Lemonade. I think this succeeds in being what it is, although I can see how many people here could be turned off. A glass of half lemonade and half Honey Weiss could quite probably produce a similar product.

In the Leine's fruity beer category, I still prefer the Sunset Wheat.

12-12-2007 03:07:37 | More by Strix

05-28-2014 01:20:34 | More by July2Nov
Jadjunk

Georgia

3.41/5  rDev +8.6%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is brewed in the style of a Shandy beer, roughly half lemonade, half ale, traditionally a shandy uses mild British ales, whereas the German equivalent is a Radler. While there is no label information, this beer is arguably one of Leinenkugel's biggest recent successes, creating several spin-off shandy flavor options (and likely even more to come). Available as a Summer release seasonal in bottles, cans and on draft.

Poured into a Leinenkugel's Pint glass. Served at 52º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy clean cream white head over a very hazy and murky pale yellow body. Head retention is slightly above average- a fair bit better than average for Leinenkugel. Lacing is medium-light and patchy. Carbonation is busy and plentiful through the heavy haze. I can see where it comes closest to a Weissbier by appearance but still doesn't quite match the visual grandeur of purely wheat-based ales. 3.75

(Smell) There's no doubting lemonade comes into serious play in this drink, although it's more of a sweeter country-style lemonade, not the tart, sunny and light heavy drinking lemonade you can make from scratch. I did not find the lemon aroma harsh enough to compare to Lysol or Pledge, but I can understand the resemblance. It doesn't balance out fantastically in the aroma, a mild malty base is thoroughly overshadowed, and any hop bitterness or body is tough to find. Very much a hybrid drink of a beer- any subtleties of a weissbier are far overshadowed by the lemonade, and the end result isn't far from smelling of a Mike's Hard Lemonade or your choice lemon-based wine cooler. 3

(Taste) Mild pale wheat malt background with a substantial amount of light, tart lemonade character. Like the aroma suggested, the drink is only half a beer at the very most, and the wheat base is overshadowed, although quite easier to discern than in the aroma. The balance isn't ideal, but the style wouldn't suggest any higher expectations. If you can't decide between a lemonade and a wheat beer, but like lemonade ever-so-slightly more, this may be a fair option. Although this is my only Shandy review to date, I really can't knock it much as it is quite drinkable and enjoyable for what it is. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Light malt, moderately acidic lemon juice and a slick, soft body. Carbonation does add some zest to the tongue. The body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is very low, concealed well by the lemons and the acidity. Overall it's a bit light on the body and texture for the weissbier crowd but lemonade isn't usually carbonated and does quite fine this time around, so I suppose it's a fair balance. 3.5

(Overall) I'd prefer a weiss bier that's wheat-malt forward with lemon subtleties any day over a Lemon Shandy, but I'm not too likely to overly criticize this for what it is. If you've never dabbled in the style before it might be worth seeking out but otherwise know that this is a fairly average choice amongst Shandy beer, and doesn't stand out in the craft beer crowd regardless of the style. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's