2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Summer ShandyLeinenkugel's Summer Shandy

Ratings: 2067

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,067 | Reviews: 520 | Show All Ratings:
ShawnB

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a soda except for the frothy, thick white head. Similar color to fresca.

Smells good. Lemony in an artificial way, but very fresh smelling.

First note is of lemon flavor. Letting it sit a little in my mouth produces a grassy, fresh taste. After taste more of grass and lemon zest.

Heavily carbonated which works for this beer. Relatively thin, but again, that works for this beer.

Overall, this is a pleasant, refreshing beer that is perfect for summer. It's not going to wow anybody, but it's a solid offering in the style.

07-04-2013 01:32:49 | More by ShawnB
santafr0g

3.15/5  rDev +0.6%

Glass – Pint

A – Pours a pale, cloud yellow color that looks more like murky yellow-chalk water than a pale wheat shandygaff. Head is soapy in appearance and a slight off white color (may be my lighting?)

S – Smells like lemonade with a hint of alcohol.

T / M – Tastes off-wheat with carbonated sour lemonade. The mouthfeel is crisp and light.

D – Not my style, but could easily kick a few of these back, especially on a hot day.

08-04-2007 00:50:26 | More by santafr0g
ChadS99SVT

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev +8%

Picked up a 6pack of this today.

Appearance is cloudy and light yellow in color.

Smell is pretty overwhelmingly sweet lemon.

Taste has lots of lemon up front, but fades quickly nice balance of tart/sweetness. Really does taste a lot like lemonade. So if you like lemonade you will probably enjoy this beer.

Mouthfeel has low carb. balanced finish.

Drinkability is pretty good. it's slightly more lemony than I prefer, but it's not to bad..on a nice hot summer day it's perfect.

06-22-2009 06:57:16 | More by ChadS99SVT
scottmbolt

A+. Hands down. I don't understand why this beer is getting such bad reviews from other users. Here is the way I look at the Shandy: it is not a "beer" per say, but a delicious flavored beverage that goes hand-in-hand with hot summer days, laying on the beach, going out on the boat, or sitting around a bonfire on the back deck on a late July night. Now if I am looking for an actual "beer", than I am not going for the Shandy. That is the point - the Shandy is a beer made perfect for specific conditions. It is extremely easy to drink, so it's a good session beer. The color is perfect for summer - a nice cloudy yellow with a white foam head. It has a sweetness to it, so I can totally see how that may turn off some of the other reviewers. Great for BBQ's and lazy summer days.

02-10-2011 14:43:19 | More by scottmbolt
matthewlikesbeer

3.85/5  rDev +23%

Refreshing. Really easy to drink. Doesn't taste like beer, and doesn't taste like alcohol. Mostly a natural lemon drink with bubbles. Honestly I could drink an even more lemon-ey drink in higher ABV like this kind of style, but this tastes excellent and with no bitterness

Serving type: can

08-13-2013 03:28:08 | More by matthewlikesbeer
WorksforBeer

Maine

4.1/5  rDev +31%

When evaluating this beer, you must remember the style, and evaluate it accordingly. It's a "Shandy" - a mixture of "lager and lime" - very common and popular in the UK. Having spent some time in the UK, I feel qualified to say it isn't bad - FOR A SHANDY. Although I've been in bars in the US where someone has ordered "half (whatever is on tap) and half Sprite", I think this is an improvement.

08-30-2009 21:50:31 | More by WorksforBeer
Careerinbeer

Indiana

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer when first tasting it was nice. Good summer beer. After drinking more than 1 or 2 though it becomes old. Also its got a low ABV which is kind of a disappointment. Overall I believe its a good beer to try but not something I could buy weekly.

07-20-2010 21:45:34 | More by Careerinbeer
ChrisWashington

Indiana

3.93/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have drank this from a can and bottle both. The bottle is a little better in my opinion. This is one of my favorite summer beers. Very refreshing on a hot day outside. Good lemonade flavoring that is consistent throughout the entire beer (even as it begins to warm). Drinkability is very good in that the flavor doesn't wear on you and there is no lingering aftertaste. Slight notes of lemonade in the smell. Appears very cloudy as it is an unfiltered wheat (I believe).

Outstanding hot weather beer!

07-22-2010 01:34:05 | More by ChrisWashington
razordm

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

Had never heard of the brewer but have bought a number of their beer recently as part of pick 6 sales at the local market. Slight leamonaid flavor, crisp, and refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. Nice head and aroma. I might buy this beer on occasion in the future but would not 'search' for the beer if headed for a party and I wanted to impress friends with my selections.

08-26-2012 22:44:18 | More by razordm
Afree

Iowa

3.55/5  rDev +13.4%

Reminds me of the boat, bass, cabin and the summer months. My choice in the summer everytime.

I drank it out of the bottle and the smell was fine, bit of fruitiness smell and tiny bit of grain. Taste is good and the mouthfeel fantastic during the summer months. Drinkability is fair, wouldn't be my choice to pound these one night, would rather go for some rolling rock.

02-23-2011 23:05:43 | More by Afree
Superfly3176

1.95/5  rDev -37.7%

I tried this a few weeks ago when we went out to dinner. I was expecting a mild lemon malt taste. It wasn't mild at all, the lemon taste was downright overpowering.

The beer pours a nice yellow to gold color. Had a good head to it. I'm not a big fan of this type of beer, too sweet for my taste. But Widmer Brothers Citra Blonde Summer brew was by far better tasting.

07-05-2011 23:28:46 | More by Superfly3176
etop8222

2.65/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Saw this on the menu at The Pike here in Reading, PA. I normally don't go for fruity beers but this one was interesting. First noticed the color and the abscence of any head. Probably not one of the big movers and that is why the lack of head. Leinenkugel makes many good brews, but for my taste, this is not one of them. I am a Dogfish addict.

08-07-2012 17:06:53 | More by etop8222
FRANKLIN88

1.9/5  rDev -39.3%

I had this beer on draft in a american pint glass. Little to no head.

Appearance: Almost like a berlinner weiss, very cloudy and unfiltered look. Not bad but not the best or appealing beer's.

Smell: Very sweet smelling, very little to no malt notes with this one. Smelled like lemonade and made me feel like I was about to drink a wine cooler.

Taste: This did not taste good, extremely sweet and almost hurt my teeth. This is borderline wine cooler. Very bitter lemon taste and mostly sugar is what i picked up.

Mouthfeel: Not the worst mouthfeel but nothing great. Pretty sugary and made me pucker up after each sip.

Not the worst beer ive had...

09-03-2012 18:52:15 | More by FRANKLIN88
Shackleford

3.26/5  rDev +4.2%

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of shandy, but I found this particular brew to be enjoyable. The lemon flavor is very strong but it is not overwhelmingly sweet. Its a strange combination, like it doesn't know it it wants to be a beer or a mike's hard, but if this is the type of flavor you are looking for you will probably like it. My biggest complaint is the ABV. I was hoping for more than 4.2%

07-22-2013 05:04:34 | More by Shackleford
billybeerlvr

4.4/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light head, amber colored - aroma has a definite lemon smell.

Undertones of the wheat base but a crisp lemon after-taste. Not over-powering; doesn't linger long. Not too fruity as some of these beers can be. Leinies got this one right. Best served ice-cold.

02-23-2014 07:16:37 | More by billybeerlvr
danno77

1.23/5  rDev -60.7%

Tried this beer several times out of a bottle, but just couldn't get myself to enjoy any of it. The apprearance was cloudy much like the sunset wheat. Once poured into a glass and straight from the bottle, it smelled of terrible artifical lemon. I was unsure if I was about to drink a shandy or lemon pine sol. The taste was bad enough to make Kool Aid Man gag. It tasted of the most artifical lemon flavor mixed with flat soda water. The mouthfeel was terrible as well, because the carbonation was doing a nasty number on my tongue. The overall drinkibility was awful. This is by far the worst beer I have sampled of the Leinenkugel's line or from any brewery for that matter.

05-24-2007 19:22:09 | More by danno77
Straz85

4.03/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer for the first time this weekend. It was one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had. Not for the beer drinker who doesn't like a light, summery beer. I expected it to be lemony since it says on the bottle that it's "lemonade beer", and it definitely was. I couldn't taste much wheat, but there were very vague traces. I don't think Leinenkugel was going for a beer that should be sipped, and has many different tastes, and I don't think they had the beer aficionado in mind when brewing it. But they succeeded at what they were going for.

04-29-2008 06:30:17 | More by Straz85
mereed2

Tennessee

4.18/5  rDev +33.5%

4.2% Alcohol by Volume
Color of Head = #F1F9AD
Color of Body = #D7E465

I'm actually pretty excited about this beer. I have a feeling that it might be amazing. It also has a good chance of being complete and total shit, but such is life. It claims to be a "Weiss beer with lemonade," which I'll admit sounds pretty appealing to me, even in this ridiculously cold November Tennessee weather.

This beer smells delicious. Like Stewart's lemonade. The head is fairly thick, but it retreats fast. I actually really, really like this. The lemonade taste is pretty heavy, but you can still pick out the hints of wheaty malt. Pretty damn carbonated too. Gums are already tingling. Both my roommate and girlfriend actually liked this beer, and neither of them drink at all which really says something for the mild sweetness of this beer. It probably has something to do with the low alcohol content too. I was concerned before I opened this that it would taste like someone spilled some Mike's Hard Lemonade in a Natty Light and tried to pass off the result as a microbrew, but this combines the two very well. You know, I have seen a lot of fruit flavors added to wheat beer, some turning out well (Blueberry with Sweetwater Blue) and some not so well (Raspberry with Abita Purple Haze), but it has really surprised me that I rarely see any citrus fruits combined with beer. Particularly fruits like lemons and oranges, you know, the ones you actually PUT IN the beer when you get it in a bar. I actually keep smelling the empty glass the beer smells so damn good. When I burp, it's as though I ingested some lovely Lemon Pledge, which is much better than the normal beer burp smell. I should start capping off my nights of drinking with one of these like a breath mint.

This is a (very) surprisingly good beer that everyone you know will like, even those damn snobby, American Guinness stout drinkers. Plus, you don't get called names for drinking this when you really want a cheer beer. It even has a twist off cap! This beer definitely stands out. It kicks ass at the fruit combination thing that so many other beers fail at. This beer really changed my view on Leinenkugel as a brewery. Though I don't know if my dismissal of them was due to me actually having and disliking one of their beers, or if I just really hated their logo and fonts. And everything else about their design. The whole package looks like it could be found at a crappy gift shop at the Cherokee Indian Reserve. Even so, I will definitely be picking up a six pack of this beer whenever the weather starts to warm up a little bit.

11-16-2008 05:52:27 | More by mereed2
Faro

1.25/5  rDev -60.1%

This sounded good on paper. Lemonade, meet a wheat beer. Well, if they had used a decent lemonade and a mediocre wheat beer then maybe they would have had something. All this is, is a sickly, sweet mess on top of a less than mediocre wheat beer. Yuck.

11-18-2008 04:40:42 | More by Faro
cstrong821

4.78/5  rDev +52.7%

A- Has a very cloudy, pale, yellow color with a foamy head to it.

S- Strong smell of lemons and wheat.

T- When they say brewed with lemonade Leinenkugels means it. Strong lemon start with a wheat beer finish, very enjoyable.

M- Smooth and quite refreshing actually a nice thirst quencher.

O- Easily drinkable, great taste, wish it was available year round. Perfect beer for summer. I've had it tap, bottle, and can equally enjoyable each time.

08-20-2011 02:56:24 | More by cstrong821
SaintLouisBeerDrinker

Missouri

3.65/5  rDev +16.6%

A: Decently colored with yellowish hues overall, 2 fingers of head faded shortly

S: Smells delicious, with scents of lemon and wheat.

T: taste has a slight wheat base with the lemons definitely abrupt.

M: Easily drinkable, mouth feel has mild carbonation.

Overall: A summer brew, most definitely.

05-09-2012 00:59:12 | More by SaintLouisBeerDrinker
BobatHTBN

Washington

4.53/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really liked this beer. Very refreshing. Lemonade is nice complement to the wheat. I could drink several of these on a hot summer afternoon or evening.

I would recommend that you try it. I think many of the reviews just missed the point of this beer.

My wife says it has a beautiful color (lemondrop). Very nice head. Lemon smell. Wheat beer initial flavor and nice lemonade finish.

Keep in mind that the kind of glass you use does make a difference in head, head retention, how it releases the aroma and ultimately how much you will enjoy it.

07-17-2012 08:45:38 | More by BobatHTBN
jaredeppy

Nevada

4.28/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this at a beer dinner that paired the Summer Shandy as well as the Sunset Wheat from Leinenkugel with an orange creme brule. The two paired amazingly with notes of lemon throughout the Shandy. Character that holds strong to both the Lemonade as well as the Wheat flavors that this beer is designed around. Keep this in the fridge for the ladies this summer!!!

04-28-2008 21:38:39 | More by jaredeppy
leezy

3.93/5  rDev +25.6%

One of my first beers as a legal adult, so this brings back lots of memories with friends and summers spent by a bonfire drinking a Shandy.
Think of this beer as a watered alcoholic version of Sunkist Lemonade (where available in your area)
Very light and fruity, not like Leines Berry Weiss but I still won't drink more than 12 pack at one time.

11-28-2010 08:26:21 | More by leezy
chadj19

4.68/5  rDev +49.5%

Excellent summer Beer. Hint of Lemonade and Orange flavor with hoppy aftertones. Not a beer for the winter. But the hot 90° summer days, there is not much better!It is very easy to drink. The color is a nice cloudy yellow with a 1" white foam head. Out of the Leinies summer brews this is right behind the Sunset Wheat for me.

03-26-2011 21:59:23 | More by chadj19