Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

Ratings: 3,215 | Reviews: 676
3.34/5  rDev +5.7%

On tap at Roosters in Columbus, Ohio.

Served in a tall pint glass. Beer had basically 0 head when it got to me. Looks more like a glass of lemonade than a glass of beer.

Smells kind of like a lemonhead candy with a bit of wheat in the background. Nose is pretty impressive but ...

The taste is disappointing. The lemon notes that come across in the nose don't make it through. Beer is a bit too bland and grainy for me.

Mouthfeel is quite light. Carbonation levels are a bit low and the beer comes across as a bit watery.

Overall, I'd buy this for a hot afternoon out grilling or on the boat. Otherwise, I'll drink something else.

1.97/5  rDev -37.7%

Presentation 12 oz bottle poured into my pint glass.

Appearance: An awful looking pale straw colour that looks like a cloudy lemonade with semen in it.

Smell: It smells of sour lemonade that has gone wrong even worse than a mikes hard and really no hint of hops or malts just sour fake lemonade flavour that really kills the senses.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Asinine! really really just terrible nothing good about this beer justifies it except that you can drink it fast but why would you do that when the acid would give you gut rot, I really love Leinies beer but this a an awful product that leaves the worst aftertaste and should never be boughten again I'm going to call them and get my refund back.

2.56/5  rDev -19%

A-pale hazy yellow and almost no head

S-Faint lemons not much else

T-It tastes like a shandy should...lemonade and beer but the flavors aren't very good. The lemon flavor over rides the beer flavor completely.

M-Very carbonated and watery. Very similar to the typical BMC.

O-Not impressed. I can see how a lot of folks would go for this in the summer but for me this beer seems to miss the mark

1.66/5  rDev -47.5%

I had this beer on tap served with a flight of beers - 5oz pour.

A - It was served in a 5oz flight glass, a cloudy golden apperance. By the time it got to me there was no head left and no lacing around the glass. This was evident by the size of the rest of the pours.

S - Smells like lemonade, and uhh medicinal smell? Kind of like Emergen C or Airborne. Not much going on here except that powerful citrus aroma.

T - It tastes way worse then it smells. Like straight up medicine that you do not want to drink anymore. Just plain bad. Its not even sweet! I just taste chalky powdered airborne in there.

M - Very thin with high carbonation...like fizzy bubbles everywhere.

O - I would never buy this beer, nor will I drink it even on a hot summer day. I just feel like I am taking medication rather than drinking a beer. Worth a try just to say you had it.

3.81/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this beer at a company party. It was surprisingly tasty. Strong lemon notes but it was smooth almost malty. Overall very enjoyable and easy to drink!

1.43/5  rDev -54.7%

Tried to figure out if I was drinking lemon pledge or carbonated lemonade with a strong alcohol feel.

4.15/5  rDev +31.3%

This is a really surprisingly tasty beer. I had one straight out of a bottle at a party and liked it so much I wanted to give it a real taste at home. The ale taste is low end but the lemonade flavor perks it right up and makes this a very drinkable beer.

2.92/5  rDev -7.6%

Pint on tap

A - Cloudy, straw color. Finger of white foam, Decent retention. Carbonated

S - Smells of light lemons. Thats really about all I pick up.

T - Meh...follows the nose. Some lemon peel, very light malts. Lemon lingers on the tongue after the finish. Just not much there for me.

M - Very light bodied, highly carbonated. Watery thin.

O - The appearance surprised me. Wasn't expecting the cloudiness. Just not a fan. I'm not a fruit beer guy to being with and this one just confirms yet again why.

1.83/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

this beer is not good at all

3.92/5  rDev +24.1%

I liked this beer more than I thoght I would. I was expecting a Miller Chill and got more than I thought I would.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It was a dull yellow and hazy with a decent head but very little retention.

Smell was very fresh and somewhat lemonade-ish. Really didn't get much of a hint that it was beer. Pleasant.

Taste was very good. I am not sure it would taste as good if it tasted more like beer or not. It is probably too lemony for some or most but it is not lemonade. The unfiltered nature of it keeps it from being Miller Chill soda pop like. Ultra refreshing. Would be a real hit on a hot summer day. Not an everyday beer by any means but in small doses at the real time it should be just the ticket.

Mouthfeel was slick and easy. Felt good on the tongue and coated the throat a little on the way down. Certainly not thick but less watery than I thought.

Drinkability. Again, in the right place, at the right time, I believe you could drink one after another. At 4.2% and with the slickness with which it goes, it is very drinkable. Not for everyone and probably not for purists but as a fun recreational drink I think Leine's got what they were going for. Would defintely have again.

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

Very refreshing, but as the beer warms it loses the refreshing taste. The lemon nuances are definitely there. Best served ice cold.

3.78/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer has a prominent lemonade taste. It is tailor-made for a summer's day.

3.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a thick, weaky, frothy head, not really thick and impressive. The beer is a hazy, cloudy yellow. The smell is nothing to be impressed by, but not offensive either. The beer is a bit syrup like, or cheap, not super hight quality in terms of being a lemonade beer. This is an easily drinkable, but not outstanding brew. I've had it before, I'll have it again, and I enjoy it, but it isn't anything to be wowed by.

It tastes like lemon. I'm not going to lie, the lemon was over powering and I didn't much care for it. If you like a strong lemon flavor, this may be the beer for you.
Leinenliugel's - Honey Weiss. This wasn't as bad, You could taste the honey in it. It wasn't a particular strong wheat beer or that memorable seeing how I just drank it and nothing really stands out.

3.92/5  rDev +24.1%

A - Cloudy, yellow color - looking like most good wietbier's I've had. Looks a tiny bit off like you can see the lemonade in it
S - Strong citrusy, lemons and limes, smells good
T - . Typical wheat-flavors, with good NATURAL tasting lemon flavor. I was worried about this being too sweet but it isn't.
M - Medium bodied, a little on the thin side, light carbonation.
D - In short - I like this. Much better then Leinenekuger's ill fated Berry weiser, this one still tastes like beer. The lemonade/lemon flavor introduced is natural and not sickly sweet. I see people comparing this to Mike's Hard Lemonade, but I think that's a complete stretch. This is just a decent wietbier with some lemon flavors added to it which complements it well.

4.33/5  rDev +37%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I bought this on draft at local club on a whim, and the fact that it was $3 for a pint.

I was surprised at how perfect this beer was.

It tasted amazing and had the nicest cloudy unfiltered wheat beer coloring.

Just the perfect consistency all around.

And the sugar content wasn't too heavy either. I know a lot of summer beers like to load up on the sugars and fruit additives, but this one is just perfect from the keg.

Had it from a bottle later on in the night and it just didn't taste the same.

If you can find this on draft, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

It's just a very smooth drinkable beer and it really packs a punch in the flavor department. I tasted cardamom, orange peel and some other unique spices.

If I see this draft again it is my go to.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Better than I was expecting, never having had shandy before. I appreciate the fact that it does taste like "beer with lemonade," and not some sort of weird lemon-infused sports drink. The tastes blend pretty darn well, and it makes for a refreshing drink. I'm not sure if drinking a lot of it in a sitting would sit really well with me, (I get a sense that the lemon vs. beer might give me a stomach ache down the line) but it would be a good lawnmower beer.

On a side-note, I wonder if the beer the lemonade is blended with is Leinenkugel's Original or something different?

4.06/5  rDev +28.5%

Very drinkable beer, not a strong beer aftertaste, almost watery, which most people like anyways, nice limon flavor, not so much limeonade but more straight limon,very cloudy unfiltered beer but most craft brews are, tried it at a cool temperature to extract more flavors, probly taste great on a hot day when these are ice cold.

3.45/5  rDev +9.2%

Having never tried a "shandy" before I was very apprehensive. Beer with Lemonade sounded disgusting to me. I was mistaken. This hazy white/golden colored beer was a pleasant surprise. The sweetness and well, lemonade flavor make it a pretty good summer beer.

3.15/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a nice bright yellow with a two finger white head that fizzes away at a fair pace and leaves some lacing. Smells strongly of lemon and not much else. Taste is of carbonated lemonade with some malts thrown in. This was a surprise to me as I was expecting more balance, not that it was a bad taste, it just threw me off. Mouthfeel was decent, again like carbonated lemonade. This was an interesting beer and was really refreshing for sure, but it's not something I would get again myself.

4.63/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wonderful shandy and perfect for every summer evening!

4.61/5  rDev +45.9%

I bought a six pack of this a few years ago. I polished off 5 bottles in 25 minutes, before I realized how much I had. This stuff is evil! I've sworn it off.

It goes down too easily. It's best to skip it, if you're thirsty. It tastes more like lemonade, than a beer.

3.07/5  rDev -2.8%

The appearance is not impressive, but not bad either. The head, never much, dissipates into near nothingness extremely fast, leaving a cloudy dark yellow.

It smells very nice, though not too strong. Unsurprisingly, the citrus scent from the lemon is evident immediately, mixing well with a slight alcohol nose. It actually sort of reminds me of lemon tea. A faint hint of spiciness.

Very tingly beer, reminding me of soda in how initially tingly we're talking. It smells like it tastes. Not strong, but nice. Very, very citrusy, so the six pack box wasn't lying when it told me this stuff was made with lemonade. It never really tastes much "like beer" to me, though, until I hit the aftertaste, which might actually be my favorite part of drinking this beer. It's got a very, very nice aftertaste. The lemon and alcohol tastes finally mix very well at that point. Before that, the lemon is more dominant.

Overall, an okay light beer. Without the lemonade background in its making, this would be very mediocre. As is, it's good enough past mediocre to be okay. I like it.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

12oz bottle poured into a weizen glass. Pours very pale straw, slightly cloudy with a 1 1/2 inch head the mostly disappeared. Some loose lacing that fell back into the beer.

Smells of grass, lemon, and some light spice.

This beer is dominated by the lemon. There were some softer malt/yeasty flavors and a hint of citrus other than lemon.

This beer was a bit thin, almost spritzy feel with medium carbonation.

Overall, this was a bit much. The label says "Weiss beer with lemon" so I was looking forward to something refreshing. Well the lemon was there, but I never did find the weiss beer part. It was light and ctirusy cool, but left me feeling more like I was holding a clear "malt" beverage than a beer. Too much lemon and way to sweet to even think about drinking more than one without getting a stomachache. Interesting, but more lemonade than beer. I won't be getting this one again.

3.13/5  rDev -0.9%

This was a suggestion from my son. He say's it's his favorite beer. My impression was that it has a citrus taste to it. But after he said he thinks it tastes like "Fruity Pebbles" I have to admit he had it nailed, it does taste like Fruity Pebbles. It definitely has a unique taste to it.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company