Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a fluted pint glass: presents very nicely, straw gold color with nice density and bright white head that lingers.

Smell is lemony, nearly lemonadey, almost too much so, but its refreshing; hints of wheat malt are there but feint.

Taste is almost exactly lemondade, tough to call this a beer but there is some malt/wheat flavors there.

Mouthfeel is slightly puckering heavy on the tongue in terms of sweetness, but dries in the finish.

Overall, this a suprisingly decent beer for the style attempt; if you have had shandies they are sweet and slightly malt; this nearly passes for fanta, i'd drink some after a long bike ride or day in the sun.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a light yellow, mostly opaque, with a skim of white head on top. Nose is strong on lemon, a touch of wheat. Taste is likewise - this one's nearly lemonade it's so overwhelmingly lemon. Less wheat than the flavor. I guess a hint of spice, although that might be being generous. Body is medium, solid carbonation. This one's about what you'd expect; a simple, overwhelming flavor. I guess I could throw back a bunch if I needed to.

3.8/5  rDev +20.6%

12oz bottle best by Jul 08 12

Pours looking like lemonade, cloudy yellow with a weak sudsy head. Smell is pure lemonade, the only other scent I pick up is watery grain. Tastes is mild wheat/corn with a lot of lemon flavor. The lemon has bite and zest to it, but is in balance with the beer flavor. This isn't too sweet, which I appreciated. Mouthfeel is a little thin, like all leineys.

This beer gets ragged on unnecessarily I think, because it's sweet and not very beer-y. Kind of a gateway beer. It's not something I would drink all the time, but I might keep some around for the less beer-inclined among us.

2.73/5  rDev -13.3%

A - The pour from the bottle actually looks like lemonade. Once in the pint it has a yellow haze and a nice glow. The head is white and loudly fades away fast.

S - The aroma is filled with malt and lemon. The scent begs to be consumed.

T - The flavor starts with a kick of lemon. It moves on to a malty middle and finishes with an odd mix of the two.

M - The feel is coarse and abrasive. Partially because of the temperature and also because of the high carbonation in the brew. I don't think the feel adds much to the beer other than a refreshment factor because it is quenching my thirst.

~ In my humble opinion I'm not to impressed with the Summer Shandy. I will say though, I think the brewers succeeding in what they were attempting to accomplish. This is a beer and not a wine cooler. It does a good job satisfying thirst and can likely be consumed in large quantities. It is not something I'd purchase necessarily but it does have it's place among beers.

3.75/5  rDev +19%

1.5/5  rDev -52.4%

3.68/5  rDev +16.8%

Bottle from a 6-pack with 07218 mark (best by July, 21, 2008)

A- Looks like a very sweet lemonade. Transluscent, but I can't see through it. Fizzy head with soda bubbles.

S- Smells like a hard lemonade. I was expecting beer, but all liquor is good.

T- Not enough lemon flavor to be hard lemonade and not enough beer flavor to be a beer. Nothing offensive, but nothing impressive.

M&D- Feels light bodied and watery which is what I like. Easy to pound down when well refrigerated. Goes down like a nice glass of mineral water.

Overall- I will drink this when I want a light, refreshing, non-filling alcoholic beverage. Which is not often.

P.S.- This does not taste like other American Pale Wheat Ales. More like a Fruit/Vegetable beer if even a beer.

3.73/5  rDev +18.4%

Tasted On: 06-30-2012
Freshness: Best by 10-01-2012
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Perfect pint
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

Appearance is cloudy yellow - it looks like lemonade. The head is 3 fingers, white, with a creamy consistency. The lacing and head retention are both good.

Aromas are big on lemons and citrus - it smells like lemonade, with a slight beery presence.

The taste features more lemon and citrus. It is tart, but not overly so. Its like a lemonade mixed with a light beer, which I think is the goal since it is modeled on a German radler. No bitterness. The flavor is good, but lacks depth.

Mouthfeel is somewhat prickly with high carbonation and the citrus notes. Body is light and the aftertaste is mainly of lemons.

Overall I found this to be an enjoyable and easy drinking summer beer. It does taste less beer-like than many brews, but if the radler is a part-beer and part-lemonade mix, then I think this may be spot-on.

3.39/5  rDev +7.6%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

3.75/5  rDev +19%

4.5/5  rDev +42.9%

3.65/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a murky, light yellow color with very thin fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

It has a very strong lemon hopp scent.

Also a strong lemony taste, tastes more like lemonade than beer. Slightly bitter finish, pretty refreshing.

Very light-bodied, crisp mouthfeel with fizzy carbonation.

Very drinkable beer. This is a very refreshing beer and very light, so it would be easy to drink quite a few.

2.93/5  rDev -7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company