Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007)

Schlafly33, May 15, 2013

justinm4bama, Mar 22, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a hazy dark urine color with two fingers of white head.

Smells of strong lemon pledge and lemon rind.

Wheat and lemon rind with some light bitterness on the finish.

Light-bodied with crisp carbonation and a tart, drying finish.

I can definitely see the appeal of this one, it's just not my thing. I'm not sure how traditional this "shandy" is anyways.

samie85, Apr 12, 2012

Ralphs66, Aug 05, 2013
3.84/5  rDev +22.3%

A: This beer screams summer to me, a lemon shandy.. the best appearance for a beer on a very hot summer day in my opinion.

S: Lemons, lemons and more lemons. faint lemon rind smell.

T: Tart at first, then mellows out almost like a lemonhead candy. wonderfully tasty and quenching when its miserable hot out.

M: Thin and crisp, yep.

O: Session friendly. Kicked many of these back in college.. great beer for chilling around the house/pool/lake on a nice Michigan summer day.

Drk93TT, May 13, 2012

taospowder, Jun 10, 2013

Tschnab, Jun 12, 2013

Hendrick24, Jan 23, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +26.8%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow. Like Hoegaarden. Not as much foam, but good lacing.

Smell: Lemon with an earthy lemongrass aroma as well. I would like this a bit stronger though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Summer Shandy lives up to its billing as a mixture of lemonade and beer. I know they serve stuff like this in Germany, particularly in the Munich area. I have to say I find the taste quite pleasant and detect an acceptable amount of malt as well in the finish. I worried this would taste like Sprite. I'm glad to be wrong.

Drinkability: Hey, it's lemonade.

Overall: It's not the greatest beer in the planet. But really? Is that the point with Summer Shandy? No. It's meant to be a refreshing SUMMER SHANDY. On those grounds I give this beer a positive review.

tjsdomer2, Jul 04, 2010

Lanstrum, May 05, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

StArnoldFan, Jul 03, 2013

sparx1100, May 30, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -58.6%

This sounded like a good idea after a sweltering hot Cubs game. Little did I know that I was wrong. This comes straight at you with an artificial lemon scent and taste. This "lemon" taste masks any traces of malt or hops. A real Shandy is refreshing, this tastes more like Mr Clean. mouthfeel was light. I didn't finish this one.

I would recommend mixing fresh squeezed lemonade with a decent lager. This is more like a Smiroff ice type artificial tasting malternative

sleazo, Aug 06, 2007

A= pours a medium-yellow, very densely hazed almost like a good weizen except that it's more like the chemical citrus powder used in some cheap fruit-beverages. Lots of foaming carbonation causing more of a volcanic foam than a true head.

S= biting on the nose, huge whiffs of fake lemon scent like Lemon Pledge furniture polish.

T= fake lemon taste, sour powdered-citric acid bite, something that might actually be hops bite but more likely citric-acid chemical-bite.

M= sour like a LemonHeads candy disguising what seems to be the lingering taste of a really cheap bargain-barrel quality beer.

D= my stomach couldn't handle even half a bottle of this.

therica, Sep 12, 2008

Roguer, Jun 04, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle from a 6-pack with 07218 mark (best by July, 21, 2008)

A- Looks like a very sweet lemonade. Transluscent, but I can't see through it. Fizzy head with soda bubbles.

S- Smells like a hard lemonade. I was expecting beer, but all liquor is good.

T- Not enough lemon flavor to be hard lemonade and not enough beer flavor to be a beer. Nothing offensive, but nothing impressive.

M&D- Feels light bodied and watery which is what I like. Easy to pound down when well refrigerated. Goes down like a nice glass of mineral water.

Overall- I will drink this when I want a light, refreshing, non-filling alcoholic beverage. Which is not often.

P.S.- This does not taste like other American Pale Wheat Ales. More like a Fruit/Vegetable beer if even a beer.

EnojysAnyBeer, May 14, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If you're drinking this you know it's a shandy as clearly stated on the label summer shandy. Smell is lemony certainly. Refreshing. Taste is lightly malty wheat beer with a refreshing dose of lightly tart lemonade. It's just about right for sweetness in terms of the lemonade flavor. I wouldn't want more than a couple, but it's one of the better flavored mass produced beers I've had.

JackieTH, Jun 15, 2012