Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: jj21 on 03-23-2007

3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: A nice golden yellowish orange hazy color.
Nose: Toasted malt and lemons hints of hops and molasses.
Taste: Toasted malt hints of lemon but it is kinda balanced. There was a slight bit of tartness in finish but overall a nice clean and easy beer to drink. I think Samuel Adams has a little bit better summer beer.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a fluted pint glass: presents very nicely, straw gold color with nice density and bright white head that lingers.

Smell is lemony, nearly lemonadey, almost too much so, but its refreshing; hints of wheat malt are there but feint.

Taste is almost exactly lemondade, tough to call this a beer but there is some malt/wheat flavors there.

Mouthfeel is slightly puckering heavy on the tongue in terms of sweetness, but dries in the finish.

Overall, this a suprisingly decent beer for the style attempt; if you have had shandies they are sweet and slightly malt; this nearly passes for fanta, i'd drink some after a long bike ride or day in the sun.

3.39/5  rDev +7.6%

I was very surprised by this beer. Thought the lemon would be overpowering but only had hints of it. I mean you can smell and taste that it's there but it's not too overpowering for me. Had a good wheat appearance, decent head, nothing to brag about. Only downer for me was it was about average on the beer end of it. I think it would be allot better in the heat of the summer bit if there was nothing else I'd get it again..

1.25/5  rDev -60.3%

3.8/5  rDev +20.6%

12oz bottle best by Jul 08 12

Pours looking like lemonade, cloudy yellow with a weak sudsy head. Smell is pure lemonade, the only other scent I pick up is watery grain. Tastes is mild wheat/corn with a lot of lemon flavor. The lemon has bite and zest to it, but is in balance with the beer flavor. This isn't too sweet, which I appreciated. Mouthfeel is a little thin, like all leineys.

This beer gets ragged on unnecessarily I think, because it's sweet and not very beer-y. Kind of a gateway beer. It's not something I would drink all the time, but I might keep some around for the less beer-inclined among us.

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

4.5/5  rDev +42.9%

2.73/5  rDev -13.3%

A - The pour from the bottle actually looks like lemonade. Once in the pint it has a yellow haze and a nice glow. The head is white and loudly fades away fast.

S - The aroma is filled with malt and lemon. The scent begs to be consumed.

T - The flavor starts with a kick of lemon. It moves on to a malty middle and finishes with an odd mix of the two.

M - The feel is coarse and abrasive. Partially because of the temperature and also because of the high carbonation in the brew. I don't think the feel adds much to the beer other than a refreshment factor because it is quenching my thirst.

~ In my humble opinion I'm not to impressed with the Summer Shandy. I will say though, I think the brewers succeeding in what they were attempting to accomplish. This is a beer and not a wine cooler. It does a good job satisfying thirst and can likely be consumed in large quantities. It is not something I'd purchase necessarily but it does have it's place among beers.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

3.73/5  rDev +18.4%

Tasted On: 06-30-2012
Freshness: Best by 10-01-2012
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, twist-cap
Glassware: Perfect pint
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

Appearance is cloudy yellow - it looks like lemonade. The head is 3 fingers, white, with a creamy consistency. The lacing and head retention are both good.

Aromas are big on lemons and citrus - it smells like lemonade, with a slight beery presence.

The taste features more lemon and citrus. It is tart, but not overly so. Its like a lemonade mixed with a light beer, which I think is the goal since it is modeled on a German radler. No bitterness. The flavor is good, but lacks depth.

Mouthfeel is somewhat prickly with high carbonation and the citrus notes. Body is light and the aftertaste is mainly of lemons.

Overall I found this to be an enjoyable and easy drinking summer beer. It does taste less beer-like than many brews, but if the radler is a part-beer and part-lemonade mix, then I think this may be spot-on.

3.65/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours a murky, light yellow color with very thin fluffy head that dissipates quickly.

It has a very strong lemon hopp scent.

Also a strong lemony taste, tastes more like lemonade than beer. Slightly bitter finish, pretty refreshing.

Very light-bodied, crisp mouthfeel with fizzy carbonation.

Very drinkable beer. This is a very refreshing beer and very light, so it would be easy to drink quite a few.

1.5/5  rDev -52.4%

2.93/5  rDev -7%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint

Bottle dated best by Sep 03 2013

Well I have to start by saying I was expecting a little more on this one, I live in Houston and I drink Live Oak Hefe on the reg and I always have it served with a lemon slice, so when I see this at the store say traditional Weisse with lemon I think it's something I could enjoy. Pours a cloudy lemonade color with a couple finger head that doesn't last, almost no lacing as the glass goes down. All lemon on the scent. More lemon on the taste than I would like for the style, I expected a Weisse with a lemon hint not a mixture of beer and lemonade. Overall, it's ok, I'm not going to pour it out or anything, but its defiantly not something I'm going to seek out again.

2.5/5  rDev -20.6%

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.84/5  rDev +21.9%

A: This beer screams summer to me, a lemon shandy.. the best appearance for a beer on a very hot summer day in my opinion.

S: Lemons, lemons and more lemons. faint lemon rind smell.

T: Tart at first, then mellows out almost like a lemonhead candy. wonderfully tasty and quenching when its miserable hot out.

M: Thin and crisp, yep.

O: Session friendly. Kicked many of these back in college.. great beer for chilling around the house/pool/lake on a nice Michigan summer day.

1.64/5  rDev -47.9%

3.41/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is brewed in the style of a Shandy beer, roughly half lemonade, half ale, traditionally a shandy uses mild British ales, whereas the German equivalent is a Radler. While there is no label information, this beer is arguably one of Leinenkugel's biggest recent successes, creating several spin-off shandy flavor options (and likely even more to come). Available as a Summer release seasonal in bottles, cans and on draft.

Poured into a Leinenkugel's Pint glass. Served at 52º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy clean cream white head over a very hazy and murky pale yellow body. Head retention is slightly above average- a fair bit better than average for Leinenkugel. Lacing is medium-light and patchy. Carbonation is busy and plentiful through the heavy haze. I can see where it comes closest to a Weissbier by appearance but still doesn't quite match the visual grandeur of purely wheat-based ales. 3.75

(Smell) There's no doubting lemonade comes into serious play in this drink, although it's more of a sweeter country-style lemonade, not the tart, sunny and light heavy drinking lemonade you can make from scratch. I did not find the lemon aroma harsh enough to compare to Lysol or Pledge, but I can understand the resemblance. It doesn't balance out fantastically in the aroma, a mild malty base is thoroughly overshadowed, and any hop bitterness or body is tough to find. Very much a hybrid drink of a beer- any subtleties of a weissbier are far overshadowed by the lemonade, and the end result isn't far from smelling of a Mike's Hard Lemonade or your choice lemon-based wine cooler. 3

(Taste) Mild pale wheat malt background with a substantial amount of light, tart lemonade character. Like the aroma suggested, the drink is only half a beer at the very most, and the wheat base is overshadowed, although quite easier to discern than in the aroma. The balance isn't ideal, but the style wouldn't suggest any higher expectations. If you can't decide between a lemonade and a wheat beer, but like lemonade ever-so-slightly more, this may be a fair option. Although this is my only Shandy review to date, I really can't knock it much as it is quite drinkable and enjoyable for what it is. 3.5

(Mouthfeel) Light malt, moderately acidic lemon juice and a slick, soft body. Carbonation does add some zest to the tongue. The body is medium for the style, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is very low, concealed well by the lemons and the acidity. Overall it's a bit light on the body and texture for the weissbier crowd but lemonade isn't usually carbonated and does quite fine this time around, so I suppose it's a fair balance. 3.5

(Overall) I'd prefer a weiss bier that's wheat-malt forward with lemon subtleties any day over a Lemon Shandy, but I'm not too likely to overly criticize this for what it is. If you've never dabbled in the style before it might be worth seeking out but otherwise know that this is a fairly average choice amongst Shandy beer, and doesn't stand out in the craft beer crowd regardless of the style. 3.5

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company's