Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 612 | Ratings: 3,418
3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Straw yellow with a three finger head even with a gentle pour. The head quickly dissipates to lacing around just around the rim of the glass.

S - Strong lemon with a nice soft wheat backing. A small amount of breadiness.

T - Strong lemon... Citrus... Slight coriander. A lot like the aroma. Dry sour dough bread finish.

M - Moderately high carbonation. Nice thick wheat coating.

D - For only having average taste and mouthfeel... I find myself picking this up regularly. It is really nice on a warm summer day with while burgers are on the grill or while sitting out on the porch watching the wind blow the leaves in the trees.

4.27/5  rDev +37.3%

Great summer beer. Superb alternative to bud light lime. Tastes like fresh squeezed lemons mixed with beer. If you like Shandys then you'll like this.

Amazing summer beer. Tastes extremely sweet and smooth. It gets a little hard to drink after a few beers because of how sweet it is though. I would recommend eating something salty with it to balance the sweetness.

3.71/5  rDev +19.3%

The aroma is great. The color when poured gives the appearance of an unfiltered beer. The first taste leaves you in confusion as to what type of beverage you are drinking. Overall, this is a good summer drink. It is light, fruity, and quite tastey once you adjust to it.

4.27/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance if Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is a pale yellow color. The aroma of it is a lemon and citrus smell which i like a lot. It tastes like lemony beer as well and is very crisp and refreshing especially on a hot summer day. The overall taste and appearance is perfect for summer and really anytime. If you like lemonade you will love this. It does not have the typical beer taste to it.

3.17/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: A yellow golden color that is not completely clear. Very small and thin head.

Smell: Clear lemon smell with a slight floral scent. Overall, I really smell the lemons mainly.

Taste: Very tart and refreshing beer. Has a sweet lemon taste and is enjoyable as a summer beer. Pretty decent beer but I feel like this is almost a beer made for non beer drinkers.

Overall: It is a fun beer to drink during the summer due to how refreshing and light it is. I would not be able to drink a lot of it but having a bottle every once in a while I can see myself doing.

3.85/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good beer for warm weather. I really enjoy the lemon and beer combination in this recipe. An extremely light and crisp beer with just enough hops to make the flavor explode in your mouth. Very good beer to drink while eating at a barbeque with smoked meats.

4.88/5  rDev +56.9%

Look: your basic hazy light yellow color
Smell: deliciously citrusy LEMON
Taste: lemony, citrusy, light, crisp refreshing
Aftertaste: just a crisp SLIGHT pucker from the lemon
Overall: I actually love this beer it's one of my favorite summer time beers. It's light and crisp and refreshing and good either out of the bottle or from the tap.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

I'll review this beer as it were meant to be tasted . . . on a lake in the summer, in the parking lot of a concert tailgating the day away, etc . . . .

Pours out a pale, slightly cloudy yellow. No heavy carbonation to be noticed.

Smell is straight lemonade. A hint of bread/wheat on the backbone. Enticing when the temps break 90. Extremely enticing when the triple digits come into play.

Taste:
Here is the kicker. I can drink this all day priming up for a concert, at a game, on my boat, etc. At night around a fire, watching football in the fall it falls way short and it would go un-opened. How can one rate a beer a solid B yet a meager D at the same time?!?

Overall I'll give this a C+/B-. Depending on the venue and the atmosphere in which one is drinking, as well as for what purpose one is drinking, this can be a downright good beer or a sadly weak choice.

Drink it when the thermometer breaks 90!

3.27/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is what it is:

Beer and Lemonade.

I personally wish it went a little more toward the lemon side. I have a soft spot in my heart for fruit beers, a fresh strawberry lager and raspberry porter being my introduction to the style.

This is a great session beer for a summer day. It's light and refreshing.

I'll skip the usual deep analysis: You'll taste wheat and lemonade. It's good.

Definitely take it easy, as you can down 3-4 without even knowing you consumed them.

2.61/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: cloudy, hazy, light (slightly golden) yellow color, white head

Smell: lemon, citrus, grass, earthy

Taste: Sweet, citrus, lemon, vanilla, somewhat artificial flavors (doesn't seem authentic)

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation that overpowers a lot of the flavors (but not necessarily a bad thing)

Overall: Decent for a hot summer day, but does not have any outstanding qualities or attributes

3.81/5  rDev +22.5%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy personifies the term "Summer Beer". This beer has a light golden cloudy appearance and nice white, but quickly diminishing, head. The light, crisp citrus aroma is immediately detectable before drinking.

It's flavor is a very authentic, crisp, and tart citrus flavor supported by a classic wheat beer mouthfeel. The aftertaste is very refreshing and quickly receding as not to overpower your mouth with it's lemony aftertaste.

This beer is best served ice-cold and on a hot summer day.

1.26/5  rDev -59.5%

I purchased this beer in a limited edition case of their seasonal beers. This brew looks like lemonade when poured into a glass with a trace of carbonation. It smells like lemonade, but tastes like lemon furniture polish. I'll save the rest for my brother in-law when he visits...he'll drink anything

3.21/5  rDev +3.2%

Very pale yellow color, mostly clear.. a little bit cloudy. Soapy white head with little retention.

Smells very good. A lot of lemon, almost smells flatly like lemonade.

Tastes alright. Reminds me more of a soft drink than a beer, really. It's crisp and very lemony, not sour like lemonade and not too sugary. Has an apparent beer aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a bit weak, very watery but also very refreshing. Not terrible.

This beer is not terrible. It is definitely a refreshing summer beer and I wouldn't mind drinking a 6-pack. I recommend it as a compliment to a cook out or to cool down after a hot day. Would pair well with any finger food.

3.67/5  rDev +18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is probably my favorite summer beer. You can smell the lemon and citrus scents as soon as you get your nose near this beer. It tastes refreshing as soon as the beer touches your lips. Afterwards, you are left with a lemon taste in your mouth that is delicious.

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pour lemonade into a beer. Gross, right? Frankly, Leinenkugel's version is pretty good. A mix of lemonade and beer, one cannot explain it in any more detail.

This seasonal is a good treat for a hot afternoon after of mowing the lawn. This beer is a bit like Gatorade: the more hot and thirsty you are the better it tastes. This beer is a seasonal because one is not usually overheating in the winter.

2.8/5  rDev -10%

Poured into a stein glass.

Even with an aggressive pour, only a thin head is obtained. Head dissipates VERY quickly, with no lacing at all.

Has a hazy lemonade appearance, just with a slightly darker cooler and some light carbonation.

Slight lemon smell, kind of sweet.

Sweet taste with a hint of tangyness at the end. Finishes fairly clean, but does leave the mouth a little puckered without a sour aftertaste. After the first one, the sweetness tends to build, bordering on overpowering. With the low ABV though, I could see how some reviewers have said it has high drinkability.

Overall not really impressed, and probably won't try this type of beer again. I've tried a few different types of fruit/vegetable beers, and I've yet to find one I really like.

2.18/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Got in a pint can, poured into a glass.

Look: Orange juice.
Smell: Kinda macro-ish, actually.
Taste: Lager-ish up front, but with a weird lemony aftertaste. Not a fan.

I guess I don't like Shandies. I tried Shock Top's and this one, and neither one appeals to me.

1.22/5  rDev -60.8%

First things first...

I've already had this "beer" and abhorred it. I'm reviewing it to detail exactly why its so bad.

Additionally, how is one to review this thing? It's listed under the category of American Pale Wheat Ale but it doesn't seem to fit in there. It's so unlike anything I've ever drank (anything alcoholic at least) that it should be in some other category -- probably Fruit/Vegetable Beers or something. Anyhow, I looked through some of the other beers in this category and saw Capital's Island Wheat and Bell's Oberon (uh oh), so I guess I'll have to review it with those in mind...

This comes from a sample bottle from the distributor. No information on it whatsoever (except that I'm not to resell it). We begin...

A - This poured 1" of pale white head that disappeared in less than 5 seconds, leaving a thin white covering. Extremely cloudy (couldn't even see my fingers through this stuff when held to light!!) soft straw hue, not unlike the color of lemonade. Pretty dang carbonated.

S - Light yeasty scent of sourdough which is pleasant until the end, when a battalion of artificial lemon smells invade. Lemonhead candy, Country Time Lemonade instant-mix powder, lemon Jolly Ranchers, etc. Not unpleasant, but not what I want my beer to smell like.

T - Unreal. This tastes like carbonated water with a small splash of artificial lemon in it -- like if you poured generic lemonade out of a can over ice and let it sit until it was fully watered-down. Carbonation is fierce and if there's any malt flavor in here, the bubbles have effectively destroyed it. Considering how overbearing the artificial lemon scent is, I find it hard to believe how subdued the lemon flavor is. I've honestly never had a beer with this little beer flavor before -- I can't taste malt, wheat, hops or even alcohol...it's fascinating in that regard.

M - Light and mega-effervescent. Sparkling mineral water.

D - Difficult to judge. I'd be willing to bet that I could drink a case of this stuff without acquiring either a buzz or a discernible flavor, but you'd have to put a gun to my head first. For the average BA, the only reason you'd even take a fourth sip is out of sheer disbelief.

This "beer" is so bad that its amazing on a number of levels. It makes you wonder exactly how this became a product. Its staggering to think that someone tasted this and decided that it was good and that it should be marketed. I'm pretty sure that this beer was created exclusively for people that hate beer. Occasionally, I could find a benefit to that -- like that it might help folks who normally don't like beer make the switch -- but anyone who likes this stuff will never like good beer.

My continuing fascination with this stuff led me to perform an experiment. I took a warm can of Country Time lemonade and mixed it with straight carbonated water in a 1:10 ratio (one part "lemonade" to 10 parts water). It's resemblance to this "beer" was uncanny -- a few of my staff members couldn't even figure out which was which. Personally, I didn't find them to be identical -- I actually found the water/lemonade mixture to be better. Honestly, I could certainly see someone finding this refreshing on a hot summer day but a bottle of good sparkling water and a lemon wedge would be cheaper and tastier.

This beer is so terrible that its almost unbelievable. But (and I say this with complete seriousness) you absolutely have to try it for yourself!! It will blow your mind.

1.95/5  rDev -37.3%

LEMONADE WEEE! BEER WEEE! I am excited, uhh until I tasted it.

This I will admit is my first shandy, which I must say was very disappointing, the pour was what got me excited, it flowed from the bottle a hazy pale yellow that formed a thick white head, the retention time was surprisingly fast, although it did fizzle down to a good lacing that stuck to the sides of the glass. The hint of carbonation made it look playful and inviting insinuating a true summertime feel. The sweet scents of lemons filled my nostrils when I sniffed the glass, a hint of wheat peeked in, which should have been my first inkling as to what laid ahead.

I was anticipating the first sip the thought of lemonade and beer made me happy, until I got it in my mouth. The excitement disappeared as fast as the head did, it was blam nothing, sure there were lemons, not sweet lemons, not flavorful lemons, not even sour lemons, just lemons plain lemons, flat lemons, its like the lemons decide to party crash and left the wheat out on the porch staring in the window longing for attention.

As were my expectations now, the first gulp felt thick and creamy. It looked like it was going to save the day for me, but it only stayed that way for a little bit. It decides to turn watery making me cry inside. In the end, this beer, felt like a good story gone wrong. It made me want it until I had it, the only way I can truly describe it is if Mary Shelly decide to brew beer waited for it and at that moment she tasted it she had an epiphany and came up with the story of Frankenstein, but, not the story we know and love today, no the first draft, the draft of a story that when finished looks awesome and feels awesome, but when you come back later and re-read it you realize how much it could have been better so you edit and re-edit it until you get a great story, that is what this needs it needs an edit, an edit to finish what should be a great story.

2.95/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A--poured a murky unfiltered yellow with a slight wispy head that was gone in a flash...very little lacing

S--smelled very much like a lemon-drop candy. Faintly sweet citrus aroma

T--very citrusy...almost like lemon tonic very refreshing flavor...

M--crispy dry finish...light with very little after taste of feel on the tongue
\
O--an okay beer that would be good on a very hot day...easy to drink and easy to find

4.12/5  rDev +32.5%

When evaluating this beer, you must remember the style, and evaluate it accordingly. It's a "Shandy" - a mixture of "lager and lime" - very common and popular in the UK. Having spent some time in the UK, I feel qualified to say it isn't bad - FOR A SHANDY. Although I've been in bars in the US where someone has ordered "half (whatever is on tap) and half Sprite", I think this is an improvement.

4.1/5  rDev +31.8%

All beer is relative to the day, a hot day in Southern California with limited refreshing options in the store, not a double IPA day based on my weather and yard work, ~90 outside. I prefer lemon beer to lemonade on this frustration day. It agrees with me. Give it a try on a hot day, I don't think you will mind it's company. It's got more than you deserve.

3.45/5  rDev +10.9%

OK, call me a girl (I am)...but this is actually ok for hot summer nights. It's got a relatively low alcohol content (4.2%) so it's also a nice session beer for tailgating a Brewers game and grilling out, when you're going to be drinking beer for a while, but don't want your head to explode the next morning. It goes down a little too easily. A little bland with the carbonation. Overly-homogeneous look.
It does have a very overwhelming "artificial flavor" taste and smell to it. I believe what this is based on is a German tradition of spiking a weissbier with lemonade during the dog-days of summer.
I was really into this beer last summer, but now that I've been trying so many new good beers as well as eating more organic and non-artificial foods, I'm kinda over it. I'll just get a good weiss and put some lemonade in it if I want to experience the "real thing".
I'd say try it for sh!ts and giggles, but if you insist on really substantial beers, this won't be your cup of tea. At all.

3.3/5  rDev +6.1%

The first time I tried this beer was when a friend of mine shared one out of a Leines' sampler. I was very impressed, and couldn't wait to get my hands on a 6 pack of my own. However accomplishing these was easier said than done, as I couldn't find this beer anywhere here in New Hampshire. Recently though I have seen is popping up in several stores, so I picked myself up a 6 pack for around $8.

Unfortunatley, I was not as impressed with the beer as I worked my way through the sixer. The beer pours an odd yellow, maybe a little too yellow. The smell is pleasing to the nose, but it smells more of lemons than it does of beer. The mouthfeel is nice, as you taste the sweetness of the lemon, but also the slight bitterness of the wheat. It's the aftertaste that threw me, as the more I drank the stronger the sweet aftertaste lasted. In the end I think this is a good beer to have every once in a while on a hot day. But it is not a great drinking session beer.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company