Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Summer

Added by jj21 on 03-23-2007

Reviews: 619 | Ratings: 3,449
2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Purchased for $1.49 from BevMo. Poured aggressively into a shaker pint.

A - light yellow golden with some cloudiness. Head disappears after a few minutes leaving zero lacing.

S - lemon cough drops with a touch of menthol.

T - very similar to the nose. Tastes of days old lemon juice with a light tartness and minty herbs. Has some potential as an easy summer drinker but flavor is not as natural as advertised.

M - bubbly and effervescent. Thin and has a watery finish that disappears immediately from the palate.

O - I enjoy lemonade but the flavor of this beer does not agree with me. Buy this beer if you like watery lemon cough drops.

3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

Usually I've had this in a bottle, but the tavern my friends play volleyball for had it on tap. I was surprised to see a nice full head on the goblet. The lemon zestiness of this beer certainly makes this a mood beer for me. But the refreshing taste makes it very drinkable. It had a slight tan tint to the golden hue. Nothing too complex, a lighter flavored beer with a thorough lemon infusion.

3.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

S - Poured into a pint glass from the bottle.

A - Slightly cloudy, dark lemonade or golden color. One finger creamy, white head. Head disappeared pretty fast.

S - Lemon dominates the scent to a point where it really just smells like lemonade.

T - The general flavor is dominated by lemon but there is suggestions of malt. As the brew lingers on the taste buds, it finishes with a malted wheat flavor and the lemon fades away at the end. The malt reveals itself as I drink more but it isn't really exciting; I have to search for it.

M - Light body with slightly above average carbonation. Slight spritzy feel. Very refreshing and crisp finish.

O - Easy to drink on a warm summer day. Refreshing and a nice way to beat the heat, but it isn't enticing enough for me to want it more than the fact that it is a cool beverage. Perfect for when you finish mowing the lawn!

2.84/5  rDev -8.7%

pours a yellowish copper color with little head.

smells of very strong lemon scents, almost to much.

taste is way more lemon than i expected but as i drank it i got more used to it, it does have a bite to it but thats from all the lemon flavoring.

heavily carbonated, lemon flavor covers the beer and you can really almost taste nothing but lemon, its a bit overwhelming.

easy to drink, decent beer for after a hard day of work or maybe out at the pool, it seems to be more of a refreshment than a beer, somewhat like lemonade. not bad though.

3.75/5  rDev +20.6%

It tastes exactly like the style it is meant to emulate, all in one bottle. Better on tap or from a can, doesn't taste quite right from a bottle. Great for hot summertime drinking.

2.43/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

To start with some good things, this beer does its job at quenching your thirst If you grab a cold one on a hot summer day. It's pretty refreshing too.
Did I enjoy it? -Not really.
It's too citrusy, just too much lemon flavor and nothing else. It tastes like a cheap drink to get a sorority girl drunk.
I couldn't even finish the entire bottle because it was too carbonated to the point it was almost harsh. I didn't feel like I was drinking a beer; it felt like I was drinking a soda. It was sugary and the aftertaste was somewhat perfume-like and gross.
Overall, it was a mediocre drink with faint grainy/ wheat taste. Nothing but lemons, lemons, and lemons. I'm not drinking this again.

3.12/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Straw yellow with a three finger head even with a gentle pour. The head quickly dissipates to lacing around just around the rim of the glass.

S - Strong lemon with a nice soft wheat backing. A small amount of breadiness.

T - Strong lemon... Citrus... Slight coriander. A lot like the aroma. Dry sour dough bread finish.

M - Moderately high carbonation. Nice thick wheat coating.

D - For only having average taste and mouthfeel... I find myself picking this up regularly. It is really nice on a warm summer day with while burgers are on the grill or while sitting out on the porch watching the wind blow the leaves in the trees.

4.27/5  rDev +37.3%

Great summer beer. Superb alternative to bud light lime. Tastes like fresh squeezed lemons mixed with beer. If you like Shandys then you'll like this.

Amazing summer beer. Tastes extremely sweet and smooth. It gets a little hard to drink after a few beers because of how sweet it is though. I would recommend eating something salty with it to balance the sweetness.

3.71/5  rDev +19.3%

The aroma is great. The color when poured gives the appearance of an unfiltered beer. The first taste leaves you in confusion as to what type of beverage you are drinking. Overall, this is a good summer drink. It is light, fruity, and quite tastey once you adjust to it.

3.43/5  rDev +10.3%

I'll review this beer as it were meant to be tasted . . . on a lake in the summer, in the parking lot of a concert tailgating the day away, etc . . . .

Pours out a pale, slightly cloudy yellow. No heavy carbonation to be noticed.

Smell is straight lemonade. A hint of bread/wheat on the backbone. Enticing when the temps break 90. Extremely enticing when the triple digits come into play.

Taste:
Here is the kicker. I can drink this all day priming up for a concert, at a game, on my boat, etc. At night around a fire, watching football in the fall it falls way short and it would go un-opened. How can one rate a beer a solid B yet a meager D at the same time?!?

Overall I'll give this a C+/B-. Depending on the venue and the atmosphere in which one is drinking, as well as for what purpose one is drinking, this can be a downright good beer or a sadly weak choice.

Drink it when the thermometer breaks 90!

4.27/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance if Leinenkugel Summer Shandy is a pale yellow color. The aroma of it is a lemon and citrus smell which i like a lot. It tastes like lemony beer as well and is very crisp and refreshing especially on a hot summer day. The overall taste and appearance is perfect for summer and really anytime. If you like lemonade you will love this. It does not have the typical beer taste to it.

3.17/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: A yellow golden color that is not completely clear. Very small and thin head.

Smell: Clear lemon smell with a slight floral scent. Overall, I really smell the lemons mainly.

Taste: Very tart and refreshing beer. Has a sweet lemon taste and is enjoyable as a summer beer. Pretty decent beer but I feel like this is almost a beer made for non beer drinkers.

Overall: It is a fun beer to drink during the summer due to how refreshing and light it is. I would not be able to drink a lot of it but having a bottle every once in a while I can see myself doing.

3.85/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very good beer for warm weather. I really enjoy the lemon and beer combination in this recipe. An extremely light and crisp beer with just enough hops to make the flavor explode in your mouth. Very good beer to drink while eating at a barbeque with smoked meats.

4.88/5  rDev +56.9%

Look: your basic hazy light yellow color
Smell: deliciously citrusy LEMON
Taste: lemony, citrusy, light, crisp refreshing
Aftertaste: just a crisp SLIGHT pucker from the lemon
Overall: I actually love this beer it's one of my favorite summer time beers. It's light and crisp and refreshing and good either out of the bottle or from the tap.

3.27/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This is what it is:

Beer and Lemonade.

I personally wish it went a little more toward the lemon side. I have a soft spot in my heart for fruit beers, a fresh strawberry lager and raspberry porter being my introduction to the style.

This is a great session beer for a summer day. It's light and refreshing.

I'll skip the usual deep analysis: You'll taste wheat and lemonade. It's good.

Definitely take it easy, as you can down 3-4 without even knowing you consumed them.

2.61/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: cloudy, hazy, light (slightly golden) yellow color, white head

Smell: lemon, citrus, grass, earthy

Taste: Sweet, citrus, lemon, vanilla, somewhat artificial flavors (doesn't seem authentic)

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation that overpowers a lot of the flavors (but not necessarily a bad thing)

Overall: Decent for a hot summer day, but does not have any outstanding qualities or attributes

3.81/5  rDev +22.5%

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy personifies the term "Summer Beer". This beer has a light golden cloudy appearance and nice white, but quickly diminishing, head. The light, crisp citrus aroma is immediately detectable before drinking.

It's flavor is a very authentic, crisp, and tart citrus flavor supported by a classic wheat beer mouthfeel. The aftertaste is very refreshing and quickly receding as not to overpower your mouth with it's lemony aftertaste.

This beer is best served ice-cold and on a hot summer day.

1.26/5  rDev -59.5%

I purchased this beer in a limited edition case of their seasonal beers. This brew looks like lemonade when poured into a glass with a trace of carbonation. It smells like lemonade, but tastes like lemon furniture polish. I'll save the rest for my brother in-law when he visits...he'll drink anything

3.21/5  rDev +3.2%

Very pale yellow color, mostly clear.. a little bit cloudy. Soapy white head with little retention.

Smells very good. A lot of lemon, almost smells flatly like lemonade.

Tastes alright. Reminds me more of a soft drink than a beer, really. It's crisp and very lemony, not sour like lemonade and not too sugary. Has an apparent beer aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is a bit weak, very watery but also very refreshing. Not terrible.

This beer is not terrible. It is definitely a refreshing summer beer and I wouldn't mind drinking a 6-pack. I recommend it as a compliment to a cook out or to cool down after a hot day. Would pair well with any finger food.

3.67/5  rDev +18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is probably my favorite summer beer. You can smell the lemon and citrus scents as soon as you get your nose near this beer. It tastes refreshing as soon as the beer touches your lips. Afterwards, you are left with a lemon taste in your mouth that is delicious.

3.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Pour lemonade into a beer. Gross, right? Frankly, Leinenkugel's version is pretty good. A mix of lemonade and beer, one cannot explain it in any more detail.

This seasonal is a good treat for a hot afternoon after of mowing the lawn. This beer is a bit like Gatorade: the more hot and thirsty you are the better it tastes. This beer is a seasonal because one is not usually overheating in the winter.

2.8/5  rDev -10%

Poured into a stein glass.

Even with an aggressive pour, only a thin head is obtained. Head dissipates VERY quickly, with no lacing at all.

Has a hazy lemonade appearance, just with a slightly darker cooler and some light carbonation.

Slight lemon smell, kind of sweet.

Sweet taste with a hint of tangyness at the end. Finishes fairly clean, but does leave the mouth a little puckered without a sour aftertaste. After the first one, the sweetness tends to build, bordering on overpowering. With the low ABV though, I could see how some reviewers have said it has high drinkability.

Overall not really impressed, and probably won't try this type of beer again. I've tried a few different types of fruit/vegetable beers, and I've yet to find one I really like.

2.18/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Got in a pint can, poured into a glass.

Look: Orange juice.
Smell: Kinda macro-ish, actually.
Taste: Lager-ish up front, but with a weird lemony aftertaste. Not a fan.

I guess I don't like Shandies. I tried Shock Top's and this one, and neither one appeals to me.

1.22/5  rDev -60.8%

First things first...

I've already had this "beer" and abhorred it. I'm reviewing it to detail exactly why its so bad.

Additionally, how is one to review this thing? It's listed under the category of American Pale Wheat Ale but it doesn't seem to fit in there. It's so unlike anything I've ever drank (anything alcoholic at least) that it should be in some other category -- probably Fruit/Vegetable Beers or something. Anyhow, I looked through some of the other beers in this category and saw Capital's Island Wheat and Bell's Oberon (uh oh), so I guess I'll have to review it with those in mind...

This comes from a sample bottle from the distributor. No information on it whatsoever (except that I'm not to resell it). We begin...

A - This poured 1" of pale white head that disappeared in less than 5 seconds, leaving a thin white covering. Extremely cloudy (couldn't even see my fingers through this stuff when held to light!!) soft straw hue, not unlike the color of lemonade. Pretty dang carbonated.

S - Light yeasty scent of sourdough which is pleasant until the end, when a battalion of artificial lemon smells invade. Lemonhead candy, Country Time Lemonade instant-mix powder, lemon Jolly Ranchers, etc. Not unpleasant, but not what I want my beer to smell like.

T - Unreal. This tastes like carbonated water with a small splash of artificial lemon in it -- like if you poured generic lemonade out of a can over ice and let it sit until it was fully watered-down. Carbonation is fierce and if there's any malt flavor in here, the bubbles have effectively destroyed it. Considering how overbearing the artificial lemon scent is, I find it hard to believe how subdued the lemon flavor is. I've honestly never had a beer with this little beer flavor before -- I can't taste malt, wheat, hops or even alcohol...it's fascinating in that regard.

M - Light and mega-effervescent. Sparkling mineral water.

D - Difficult to judge. I'd be willing to bet that I could drink a case of this stuff without acquiring either a buzz or a discernible flavor, but you'd have to put a gun to my head first. For the average BA, the only reason you'd even take a fourth sip is out of sheer disbelief.

This "beer" is so bad that its amazing on a number of levels. It makes you wonder exactly how this became a product. Its staggering to think that someone tasted this and decided that it was good and that it should be marketed. I'm pretty sure that this beer was created exclusively for people that hate beer. Occasionally, I could find a benefit to that -- like that it might help folks who normally don't like beer make the switch -- but anyone who likes this stuff will never like good beer.

My continuing fascination with this stuff led me to perform an experiment. I took a warm can of Country Time lemonade and mixed it with straight carbonated water in a 1:10 ratio (one part "lemonade" to 10 parts water). It's resemblance to this "beer" was uncanny -- a few of my staff members couldn't even figure out which was which. Personally, I didn't find them to be identical -- I actually found the water/lemonade mixture to be better. Honestly, I could certainly see someone finding this refreshing on a hot summer day but a bottle of good sparkling water and a lemon wedge would be cheaper and tastier.

This beer is so terrible that its almost unbelievable. But (and I say this with complete seriousness) you absolutely have to try it for yourself!! It will blow your mind.

Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company