1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Big Eddy Russian Imperial StoutBig Eddy Russian Imperial Stout

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jj21 on 10-27-2007)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 995 | Reviews: 444 | Show All Ratings:
DavoleBomb

2.05/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Leine makes a Russian imperial stout?!? I had to try it. Poured into a snifter.

4.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of creamy light brown head. Retention is good and plenty of lacing is left. I'm impressed so far.

2.5 S: The first thing I noticed was a distinct aroma that I can't quite put my finger on. All that I can say is that it's not a smell that should be in beer. It's somewhere between rubber and solvent. It's hard to get past this scent, but I'll try. Chocolate with a slight soy sauce character. Soft roastiness. Surprisingly hoppy with a dominant herbal character.

1.5 T: Ewwww! This is fucking gross. It tastes something like what I would imagine fermented tobacco to taste like. The solvent/rubber sustance is in full gear. It coats my tongue like paint, burns it a little, then dissipates. More bitter than I like from the style and it presents in an almost acrid way. In addition to the bitterness, it is equally sweet at the same time. Chocolate, caramel, and molasses manifest from this sweetness.

3.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy with a boozy finish. Not that bad here.

1.5 D: I don't know if this beer is green or hasn't been processed properly at some point, but I'm picking up tons of puketastic flavors from this. Avoid.

11-18-2011 04:10:33 | More by DavoleBomb
adammills

2.13/5  rDev -44.2%

This beer pours a very dark brown near black with a rocky brown head that fades quickly. The nose is huge on banana and juicy fruit type aromas. The roast fights to get through. The fruitiness in both arom and flavor blunt most other flavors that I am assuming lurk beneath. The alcohol is very apparent and fusely. Overall, I am glad that Leinenkugels has gotten this adventurous and look forward to the evolution of this beer if it is maintained in the future.

11-24-2007 15:21:36 | More by adammills
GSX1250FA

2.26/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Really did not like the taste of this beer. Hard to pin down exactly but it has a malty taste that is really objectionable, sort of like a cross between rubber and tobacco. Aging may improve it a little, but I still think it would be pretty bad even after 3 years.

02-10-2013 17:01:37 | More by GSX1250FA
AgentZero

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

A - A black stout, brown head that was just a touch too bubbly, but still nice looking. Little bit of lacing left on the sides.

S - This smells pretty bad, huge alcohol burn, completely unexpected and gross. It's kind of a sickly, sweet alcohol smell, which surrounds some cocoa and roasted malts.

T - This beer is pretty bad. Sweet alcohol taste and some roasted malts. It's really a lot like the nose, with a bit of artificual fruit taste in there as well. Almost wonder if this has started to turn a little bit, it's just a bad taste.

M - Little chewy, thick, over carbonated.

D - This beer was a bad beer and a bad experience. Would not drink this again.

11-08-2010 03:24:28 | More by AgentZero
yeahnatenelson

2.55/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with slim cherry wood highlights and one finger of creamy beige head. Retention is so-so.

Smell -- Ruh Roh. Liquid smoke, soy sauce, chocolate, roast malt, gas station coffee with mini creamer. Alcohol is very evident. Sweet, smoky, and a bit weird.

Taste -- Slightly better than the nose. Sticky sweet with dark chocolate and molasses, along with liquid smoke, burnt bread crust, and some spice character reminiscent of a pre-packaged steak rub.

Mouthfeel -- Actually not too bad. Slightly fuller than medium-bodied and chewy with mild foamy carbonation. Alcohol is quite evident.

Drinkability -- This beer is better than the regular Leine lineup, but not by much. The flavor profile is a strained marriage of sticky sweet malt and burnt/smokey bitterness that clash more than balance. And there's this w. Also, the alcohol presence is quite pronounced for the abv.

For the money, there are *much* better RIS choices.

12-03-2010 02:54:33 | More by yeahnatenelson
match1112

2.55/5  rDev -33.2%

pours out as brown as the bottle it comes in, but settles in dark as night. a thin creamy mocha colored head doesn't last long but there is ample lacing. smells very malty and hoppy, that's weird. the taste is almost sour, and that's not a good thing. has enough hops to be a black ipa, but there is a awful sour grain taste that overpowers. mouthfeel is too thin for a ris. overall this is very avoidable, do yourself a favor and do not seek out.

02-29-2012 01:56:31 | More by match1112
woodychandler

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%

Another of my frequent trade partners, optimator13, sent this to me to help me keep my bottle numbers aligned with my CANs.
Yay!

From the bottle: " ... was ... the Big Eddy Spring in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Its waters guiding us through five generations of genuine brewing heritage."; "Dark and complex with 11 malts and grains balanced by three different and distinct hops."

I may have been a little heavy-handed in my pour, given the massive two-plus fingers of deep-brown head that I created. The beer actually seemed to be cascading for a moment! It looked like the top of a chocolate milkshake. Nose was rich with a deep, dark chocolate roasty sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with a very smoky, charcoal flavor initially, somewhat medicinal in its bitterness. I feel left out on this one, since I am not a big fan of the style to begin with and I just am not liking this particular iteration. It was bitter, but in a burnt, not hoppy way and I just could not get behind it. Finish left me feeling like I had been drinking charcoal water. Oof.

03-30-2011 20:51:21 | More by woodychandler
HarrySTruman

2.6/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Not a bad beer, pretty easy to drink given the ABV, but not really memorable. Decent price for an RIS.

Appearance is black with a nice tan head. Decent lacing.

Smell is muted. Smells of malts and a hint of sugar.

Taste is a bit sharp, almost sour for my likes. Doesn't have that warming sensation of coffee and chocolate. Odd flavor for what I was hoping for.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for my tastes on an RIS.

I gave this a below average score, but I would drink it again if it were offered to me. It wasn't offensive, just not that good in comparison to some other RIS' that are just as easy to find and just as reasonably priced.

04-12-2013 06:27:57 | More by HarrySTruman
Mauerhan

2.65/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

a recent bottle from the black booty bif.

pours dark with about a half finger of mocha head that fizzles quickly. little to no lacing. smell is smokey and boozy. taste leaves alot to be desired. very fusely. big presence of the alcohol. mouth is thick and burny. leaves a bit of a burnt malt taste in my mouth. not really a huge fan of this one. swing and a miss leinenkugel

03-11-2009 06:29:22 | More by Mauerhan
buyBinboaVodka

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

A - Pours a pitch black with a 2 finger dark khacki head. It leaves some nice sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Bitter chocolate and burnt malts. This has a rather odd smell to it for a stout. Its not crisp and clean, but smells rather sloppy. Like it doesn't know what it is.

T - Bitter chocolate followed by burnt malts. Some coffee comes through as it warms up. The finish seems to be lacking in flavor. Something is missing in this beer.

M - It feels rather thin with moderate carbonation.

O - This is an ok beer. I would not reach for it again with so many other options.

12-08-2011 03:46:30 | More by buyBinboaVodka
harrymel

Washington

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to jbtice0315 for this as an extra, cheers Jesse!

A: Pours a dark brown with no translucence. Two finger mocha head which falls to thick quilt of foam. Moderate lacing.

S: Raisin, cocoa, malts, again, raisin. Very nice nose on this. Hints of molasses, licorice, anise. Goddamn beautiful nose.

T: The yeast doesn't offer appropriate tones to this beer (IMO). The nose follows through, but the flavor is negatively impacted by the yeast strain I believe. Decent finish though.

M: Heavy body with low/medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth dry (surprisingly).

D: love the nose, taste - not so much. Although tolerable, this is not particularly nice as a RIS.

02-23-2011 13:56:57 | More by harrymel
SAxDRC5

2.78/5  rDev -27.2%

A- Pours dark black. 2 finger dark tan head. when held up to a light there is sort of a cherry wood color around the edges of the glass. one of the prettiest beers I've seen.

S- chocolaty, malty and smokey. smells like soy sauce. both dark and light fruits (raisins and oranges maybe?). a touch of alcohol scent.

T- chocolate malts are the first taste I get, followed by smoke, soy sauce and fruit. finishes with alcohol and a tiny bit of hops. Flavors are not balanced, they conflict. To quote the guy at the beer store where I bought it "It tastes like someone poured about 1/3 of a bottle of sunset wheat into a decent imperial stout."

M- Pretty good. maybe a bit thin and too carbonated for me but I basically like drinking motor oil mixed with cement.

D- I've had beers higher than 9.5% ABV that were more drinkable. alcohol flavor is too pronounced and there is too much carbonation. Also if I want soy sauce I'll drink a bottle of soy sauce, not a beer.

12-08-2010 01:43:04 | More by SAxDRC5
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured into snifter.

Pours 1/4 finger of tan head. Good retention with some lace. Color is a deep brown/black.

Aroma: Roasted malts , coffee, chocolate, chocolate milk, creamy, and some earthy hops.

Taste: Bitter chocolate, creamy milk flavors, roasted malts, coffee. Pretty hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter and roasted. Dry. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and roasted.

Overall, not a top notch RIS. Too roasted for me. Has an odd milky flavor to it.

EDIT (1-6-11) I just opened a bottle of this from the first batch and didn't realize it. I forgot about the old label. Anyway, when I was drinking it, I knew something was different because it tasted so much better. This beer reminds me of darkness 08 or 11. This stuff is great. RICH and creamy. Very smooth. A nice coffee roast, a lot of chocolate, and a nice mix of dark dried fruits. Leines should have kept this beer a small batch series and made more like this. At the price point that this once was, you can't beat it. I wish I had more of these. Oh and the best by date was: 03-09-08. Only 4 years past its prime haha

03-18-2011 16:59:39 | More by mothman
StArnoldFan

2.84/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle poured to a snifter

Saw this a my local HEB on the singles rack for $1.99 and decided to give it a try. Pours a solid black with minimal head, reminds me of something barrel aged. The nose is nothing but strong alcohol, kinda turns me off right away. The taste is much the same, some roasted malt but overpowering alcohol takes over. Iv have beers higher in ABV taste and smell milder than this. Glad I only bought a single of this, cause its horrible and I won't ever buy it again.

07-15-2013 00:55:42 | More by StArnoldFan
dpnelson1978

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

12 oz. bottle into glass snifter.
50°F

$3.25 / ea.

A: Opaque black body topped with a small brown head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace and just a bubbly ring of cover.

S: Ripe red fruit, banana, molasses, and slight booze. The banana is out of place and creates a bit of confusion. Still, an interesting blend.

T: Bitter coffee, and slightly tart. Hop character is strong leaving a potent aftertaste. Quite a bit of fruit flavors throughout, not something I'm used to seeing in the style. Interesting. Could do with less bitterness.

M: Light to medium body and moderate carbonation. Noticeable carbonic bite and tangible bitterness on the tongue. Lacks the smooth character I look for in the style.

D: One max for me. The flavors are too intense in the wrong spots.

O: Worth a try, and may be worth aging. Definitely on the low end of the style.

11-08-2010 03:24:50 | More by dpnelson1978
VaTechHopHead

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

No bottling date, poured into a goblet

A - Deep deep red/black. Initial head is thick and deep brown but fades quickly and turns light tan. Lacing is very even and almost covers the whole glass.

S - Nothing too tremendous. Hints of roasted malts, lactose, and marshmallow. Kind of a funky band-aid/nail polish remover whiff way in the back.

T - Pretty plain. Flavors are a little weak but there is some chocolate, roasted grain, dark toffee, and toast. Finish is a light syrup-y sweet and a slight medicinal/alcoholic.

M - A little light on the body for me but carbonation is good. Finishes neutral and doesn't stress the palate too much but is slightly acidic.

O - Just a "Plain Jane" RIS in my opinion. Flavors are bland and nothing extreme.

08-12-2011 03:37:44 | More by VaTechHopHead
crossovert

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

2010 vintage.

It pours a dense, dark black with a nice foamy tan head. Thehead sticks for a nice while. It has a bit of decent lacing.

The smell is pretty standard for a RIS. It is clean, not superbly fragrant, but consistent with the style. There is some raisin, dark fruits, cocoa, and coffee

The flavor is where you can tell this is a leine's product. It isn't bad but it is inferior to the standard of the style. It has a lot of components: a nice bitterness, coffee, caramel, chocolate, dark fruits, a surprising hppiness, and a hint of roastiness, but it doesn't mesh as well as it could. There is a flavor sticking out that is just unnatural.

The mouthfeel is pretty full-bodied, perhaps a bit excessive carbonation however. The alcohol isn't completely hidden. It has a bit of a cloying sweetness.

It is a nice attempt by a macro brewery, but there is still room for improvement.

11-10-2010 23:21:11 | More by crossovert
beer4colin

2.9/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Full disclosure:

I have never had a Leinenkgel that I have enjoyed. But, I consider myself very open minded in reviewing.m past experiences doesn't affect anything with me..if I beer is good or bad I say it.

I fully under stand why mainstream brewers want to tap into the "craft" or "niche" maker. Profits are not the driver, but street cred is.

An Imperial Russian is a VERY ambitious brew. And not one to be taken lightly.

That said, here is Big Eddy....this beer pours a beauty, dark with a big rich dark brown 2 finger head when poured into a Pinter.

The Magog ends at the appearance. Taste is very contrived. Maybe it is a function of volume brewed but all I taste is charred wood! Stouts should be a nice roasted malt, peat or similar backbone.

This tastes like burnt wood chips thrown in the mash.

01-09-2013 22:48:12 | More by beer4colin
bs870621345

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

Thanks to bwiechmann for sending this to me as an extra.

Pours black with an inch and a half of mocha head. Leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like dark fruits and copper.

Taste is sweet, plums, caramel, roast, and that metallic twang shows up again.

Mouthfeel is nice, full, creamy, and not too carbonated. Its pretty good.

Drinkability suffers because of that metallic twang.

Its not bad, but its nothing I'd search for again.

02-24-2011 03:44:39 | More by bs870621345
FourBetter

2.95/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Black with a reddish brown head 1 finger high. Head stuck around a while.

S: Bready with dark fruit aroma, plums maybe. No sweetness to the smell.

T: More bready roasted flavor. Alcohol didn't come through and maybe should have. Nothing stood out, subtle dark fruit and possible chocolate but I'm searching my tongue to find these.

M: Very syrupy and thick. Carbonation felt right but this RIP coated my mouth in a chalky way and felt like it took up way too much space in my stomach after each swallow.

O: Not a fan. If it's going to be this thick, it needs just as big of flavor layers to back it up. Wouldn't purchase or drink again given an alternative.

01-08-2012 05:33:46 | More by FourBetter
kojevergas

2.96/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded black pry-off pressure cap and classy appealing label acquired for $3.49 USD at my local bottle shop and served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I'm not big on the brewery but the label/marketing is sound and I'm in the mood for a good Russian Imperial Stout. 2012 vintage. 9.5% ABV confirmed.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of lovely khaki-tan colour; it's rich and decadent. Has a great shiny soft complexion and good smooth even consistency. Little lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is average - about 2 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable opaque solid black. Appears adequately carbonated. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's pretty standard fare for a Russian Imperial Stout. While far from unique or special, it's a beer I'm looking forward to trying. I don't notice any overt flaws. It's absolutely to-style.

Sm: I'm pleasantly surprised given the brewery. It's got plenty of chocolate and chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, hints of coffee, and even a bit of roasted barley (something I always look for in a stout). Cream. It's certainly sweet, but pleasantly so. Cocoa powder.

I don't find any yeast character or alcohol. The hop profile is really buried as well.

Overall, it's an inviting aroma of mild strength and I'm really looking forward to trying it. Could Leinenkugel's actually have an above average beer on their hands?

T: Hm. Not quite the breakout Leinenkugel's hit I was hoping for. It's a pretty generic build for a Russian Imperial Stout, with your standard notes of chocolate/chocolate malt/cocoa powder, caramel, dark malts, and a nice sweetness. Any coffee notes I convinced myself I was finding on the aroma are nowhere to be found here. I do get some raisin and (unfortunately for my personal tastes) some licorice/fennel. There's some unwelcome charred and burnt characteristics, but they're forgivable. The roast has also faded, much to the beer's detriment. That said, it's pretty balanced and certainly pretty cohesive - albeit not quite gestalt.

It's not a horribly complex or subtle beer (especially considering the style), but I rather like it. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. There's not really any nuance here.

No yeast character, hop profile, or alcohol come through.

Mf: Has a sickening stickiness to it. A bit syrupy. Too thick. Smooth and wet. Slick. Chewy. The mouthfeel is admittedly quite a trainwreck, but it could be worse. At least it's not astringent or boozy. Overcarbonated. Too full-bodied. Bad presence on the palate. The texture doesn't suit the taste all that well.

Dr: Ordinarily, the whole "we used x amount of malts" marketing approach is indicative of a gimmicky beer, but this Leinenkugel's offering stays pleasingly close to style conventions and doesn't feel as cheap/artificial as most of their core offerings. It's a bit too sweet and it won't blow your socks off, but for a macrobrewed Russian Imperial Stout from a usually unremarkable brewery, it's surprisingly quaffable. I wouldn't get it again at $3.49, but I'm sure I overpayed given the bottle shop I acquired this at. It's absolutely worth trying at a reasonable price and I'm not disappointed. I'll be giving Leinenkugel's a little more attention - at least insofar as their limited releases are concerned - going forward.

High C

02-09-2014 02:58:43 | More by kojevergas
Phelps

Arizona

A: inky black with a gummy one-finger head the color of rusted pennies. It recedes at a glacier's pace, getting denser and leaving sticky walls of lace as it does.

S: plum sauce, raisins, molasses, espresso, dark chocolate, some fairly strong floral hops and sweet bubblegum and cocoa powder. It leans more to the fruity side, but the roastiness is strong enough to create a nice balance. Not bad.

T: it begins pleasantly enough, with flavors of raisins mixing nicely with dark chocolate and coffee beans. The dilemma comes mid-palate, when my mouth's invaded by oddly tangy plum juice. It's far too sweet and clashing with the roasted malts rather than melding with them. The weird tang only grows as I make my way through the glass, especially noticeable on the sides and back of the tongue.

M: the problems continue. The body isn't horrible -- it's medium-light and smooth, though still a little light for me. The carbonation is just WAY too high, assaulting my tongue with vigor. There's a pretty noticeable alcohol tinge as well.

D: I got this bottle for free, so I can't complain. But I'd never pay for one. Too fruity, too disheveled, too boozy for its own good.

10-29-2010 06:39:21 | More by Phelps
ddahlen

2010 Vintage - Notes from 5/3/11

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel glass with an inch thick tan head. On the nose I get some nice dried fruit, some molasses, and some subtle chocolate notes. As the brew warms, I get an anise almost licorice aroma. Dedinitely something I haven't smelled before. The taste gives me an interesting ashy component with some robust dried fruitiness. The mouthfeel is fairly thick, but seems to have a bit too much carbonation. I think this could use a bit more time in the bottle to mellow out. Overall this beer seems to have all of the components of a good RIS, but it doesn't seem put together enough quite yet. I'd advise leaving this in the bottle for at least another year before having another taste.

05-28-2011 04:45:13 | More by ddahlen
SHODriver

bottle from 2012

A: poured into a snifter to a deep black with a half inch of deep tan head that fades to a small pool and collar
S: smells of molasses and that's about it
T: tastes of roasted malt, molasses and burnt sugar. swallow is more molasses and roasted malt
M: fairly full on the mouth with fairly prickly carbonation. ever so slightly drying but just a little bit
O: maybe it was a bit more complex from the start but it's pretty smooth. Not terrible but certainly not great.

03-08-2014 07:27:45 | More by SHODriver
guzzle211

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

12oz bottle sent to me by a close friend in Madison. Thanks Poffenbarger!

A: pours a relatively thick, inky black. A gentle pour produced a light tan lace ring around the edge, so I can imagine a vigorous pour might actually produce a full-covering head, which would be surprising for a brew of this abv. It sits in the glass looking dark and menacing, with absolutely no light penetration. I usually judge beers this dark by tilting the glass and looking up through the diagonal edge to see how much light can get through: not even the most tilted, shallow depths would allow the hint of any light. Impressive.

S: alcohol dominates, overpowering the dark malts. There is almost a hint of meat?

T/M: A brew this complex demands to be served correctly: you *must* drink this at the appropriate temperature – any colder and I would consider it unapproachable. I found it a little unbalanced on the bitter burnt side. The alcohol taste is strong, too strong actually. The ‘meat’ aromas make sense now as there is a slight hint of smokiness. There is a faint hint of chocolate that is buried by everything else that is going on. The mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

D: I would have to call this one a ‘one and done.’ As a disciple of the genre, I can typically guzzle the thickest offerings on even the hottest of days, but I had to really work at this one.

A valiant effort nonetheless. I plan to cellar the other 3 for a loooong time and re-visit this in the future, as it is definitely an incredibly complex brew that perhaps needs a little more time to settle.

01-20-2008 00:27:46 | More by guzzle211