Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: jj21 on 10-27-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,176 | Reviews: 468
2.54/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance -- Pours a dark brown with slim cherry wood highlights and one finger of creamy beige head. Retention is so-so.

Smell -- Ruh Roh. Liquid smoke, soy sauce, chocolate, roast malt, gas station coffee with mini creamer. Alcohol is very evident. Sweet, smoky, and a bit weird.

Taste -- Slightly better than the nose. Sticky sweet with dark chocolate and molasses, along with liquid smoke, burnt bread crust, and some spice character reminiscent of a pre-packaged steak rub.

Mouthfeel -- Actually not too bad. Slightly fuller than medium-bodied and chewy with mild foamy carbonation. Alcohol is quite evident.

Drinkability -- This beer is better than the regular Leine lineup, but not by much. The flavor profile is a strained marriage of sticky sweet malt and burnt/smokey bitterness that clash more than balance. And there's this w. Also, the alcohol presence is quite pronounced for the abv.

For the money, there are *much* better RIS choices.

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Not a bad beer, pretty easy to drink given the ABV, but not really memorable. Decent price for an RIS.

Appearance is black with a nice tan head. Decent lacing.

Smell is muted. Smells of malts and a hint of sugar.

Taste is a bit sharp, almost sour for my likes. Doesn't have that warming sensation of coffee and chocolate. Odd flavor for what I was hoping for.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for my tastes on an RIS.

I gave this a below average score, but I would drink it again if it were offered to me. It wasn't offensive, just not that good in comparison to some other RIS' that are just as easy to find and just as reasonably priced.

2.61/5  rDev -31.5%

pours out as brown as the bottle it comes in, but settles in dark as night. a thin creamy mocha colored head doesn't last long but there is ample lacing. smells very malty and hoppy, that's weird. the taste is almost sour, and that's not a good thing. has enough hops to be a black ipa, but there is a awful sour grain taste that overpowers. mouthfeel is too thin for a ris. overall this is very avoidable, do yourself a favor and do not seek out.

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

a recent bottle from the black booty bif.

pours dark with about a half finger of mocha head that fizzles quickly. little to no lacing. smell is smokey and boozy. taste leaves alot to be desired. very fusely. big presence of the alcohol. mouth is thick and burny. leaves a bit of a burnt malt taste in my mouth. not really a huge fan of this one. swing and a miss leinenkugel

2.69/5  rDev -29.4%

A - Pours a pitch black with a 2 finger dark khacki head. It leaves some nice sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Bitter chocolate and burnt malts. This has a rather odd smell to it for a stout. Its not crisp and clean, but smells rather sloppy. Like it doesn't know what it is.

T - Bitter chocolate followed by burnt malts. Some coffee comes through as it warms up. The finish seems to be lacking in flavor. Something is missing in this beer.

M - It feels rather thin with moderate carbonation.

O - This is an ok beer. I would not reach for it again with so many other options.

2.7/5  rDev -29.1%

Another of my frequent trade partners, optimator13, sent this to me to help me keep my bottle numbers aligned with my CANs.
Yay!

From the bottle: " ... was ... the Big Eddy Spring in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Its waters guiding us through five generations of genuine brewing heritage."; "Dark and complex with 11 malts and grains balanced by three different and distinct hops."

I may have been a little heavy-handed in my pour, given the massive two-plus fingers of deep-brown head that I created. The beer actually seemed to be cascading for a moment! It looked like the top of a chocolate milkshake. Nose was rich with a deep, dark chocolate roasty sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium with a very smoky, charcoal flavor initially, somewhat medicinal in its bitterness. I feel left out on this one, since I am not a big fan of the style to begin with and I just am not liking this particular iteration. It was bitter, but in a burnt, not hoppy way and I just could not get behind it. Finish left me feeling like I had been drinking charcoal water. Oof.

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured into snifter.

Pours 1/4 finger of tan head. Good retention with some lace. Color is a deep brown/black.

Aroma: Roasted malts , coffee, chocolate, chocolate milk, creamy, and some earthy hops.

Taste: Bitter chocolate, creamy milk flavors, roasted malts, coffee. Pretty hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter and roasted. Dry. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry and roasted.

Overall, not a top notch RIS. Too roasted for me. Has an odd milky flavor to it.

EDIT (1-6-11) I just opened a bottle of this from the first batch and didn't realize it. I forgot about the old label. Anyway, when I was drinking it, I knew something was different because it tasted so much better. This beer reminds me of darkness 08 or 11. This stuff is great. RICH and creamy. Very smooth. A nice coffee roast, a lot of chocolate, and a nice mix of dark dried fruits. Leines should have kept this beer a small batch series and made more like this. At the price point that this once was, you can't beat it. I wish I had more of these. Oh and the best by date was: 03-09-08. Only 4 years past its prime haha

2.82/5  rDev -26%

A- Pours dark black. 2 finger dark tan head. when held up to a light there is sort of a cherry wood color around the edges of the glass. one of the prettiest beers I've seen.

S- chocolaty, malty and smokey. smells like soy sauce. both dark and light fruits (raisins and oranges maybe?). a touch of alcohol scent.

T- chocolate malts are the first taste I get, followed by smoke, soy sauce and fruit. finishes with alcohol and a tiny bit of hops. Flavors are not balanced, they conflict. To quote the guy at the beer store where I bought it "It tastes like someone poured about 1/3 of a bottle of sunset wheat into a decent imperial stout."

M- Pretty good. maybe a bit thin and too carbonated for me but I basically like drinking motor oil mixed with cement.

D- I've had beers higher than 9.5% ABV that were more drinkable. alcohol flavor is too pronounced and there is too much carbonation. Also if I want soy sauce I'll drink a bottle of soy sauce, not a beer.

2.84/5  rDev -25.5%

No bottling date, poured into a goblet

A - Deep deep red/black. Initial head is thick and deep brown but fades quickly and turns light tan. Lacing is very even and almost covers the whole glass.

S - Nothing too tremendous. Hints of roasted malts, lactose, and marshmallow. Kind of a funky band-aid/nail polish remover whiff way in the back.

T - Pretty plain. Flavors are a little weak but there is some chocolate, roasted grain, dark toffee, and toast. Finish is a light syrup-y sweet and a slight medicinal/alcoholic.

M - A little light on the body for me but carbonation is good. Finishes neutral and doesn't stress the palate too much but is slightly acidic.

O - Just a "Plain Jane" RIS in my opinion. Flavors are bland and nothing extreme.

2.84/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to jbtice0315 for this as an extra, cheers Jesse!

A: Pours a dark brown with no translucence. Two finger mocha head which falls to thick quilt of foam. Moderate lacing.

S: Raisin, cocoa, malts, again, raisin. Very nice nose on this. Hints of molasses, licorice, anise. Goddamn beautiful nose.

T: The yeast doesn't offer appropriate tones to this beer (IMO). The nose follows through, but the flavor is negatively impacted by the yeast strain I believe. Decent finish though.

M: Heavy body with low/medium carbonation. Leaves the mouth dry (surprisingly).

D: love the nose, taste - not so much. Although tolerable, this is not particularly nice as a RIS.

2.85/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle poured to a snifter

Saw this a my local HEB on the singles rack for $1.99 and decided to give it a try. Pours a solid black with minimal head, reminds me of something barrel aged. The nose is nothing but strong alcohol, kinda turns me off right away. The taste is much the same, some roasted malt but overpowering alcohol takes over. Iv have beers higher in ABV taste and smell milder than this. Glad I only bought a single of this, cause its horrible and I won't ever buy it again.

2.87/5  rDev -24.7%

12 oz. bottle into glass snifter.
50°F

$3.25 / ea.

A: Opaque black body topped with a small brown head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace and just a bubbly ring of cover.

S: Ripe red fruit, banana, molasses, and slight booze. The banana is out of place and creates a bit of confusion. Still, an interesting blend.

T: Bitter coffee, and slightly tart. Hop character is strong leaving a potent aftertaste. Quite a bit of fruit flavors throughout, not something I'm used to seeing in the style. Interesting. Could do with less bitterness.

M: Light to medium body and moderate carbonation. Noticeable carbonic bite and tangible bitterness on the tongue. Lacks the smooth character I look for in the style.

D: One max for me. The flavors are too intense in the wrong spots.

O: Worth a try, and may be worth aging. Definitely on the low end of the style.

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%

Thanks to bwiechmann for sending this to me as an extra.

Pours black with an inch and a half of mocha head. Leaves nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like dark fruits and copper.

Taste is sweet, plums, caramel, roast, and that metallic twang shows up again.

Mouthfeel is nice, full, creamy, and not too carbonated. Its pretty good.

Drinkability suffers because of that metallic twang.

Its not bad, but its nothing I'd search for again.

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

2010 vintage.

It pours a dense, dark black with a nice foamy tan head. Thehead sticks for a nice while. It has a bit of decent lacing.

The smell is pretty standard for a RIS. It is clean, not superbly fragrant, but consistent with the style. There is some raisin, dark fruits, cocoa, and coffee

The flavor is where you can tell this is a leine's product. It isn't bad but it is inferior to the standard of the style. It has a lot of components: a nice bitterness, coffee, caramel, chocolate, dark fruits, a surprising hppiness, and a hint of roastiness, but it doesn't mesh as well as it could. There is a flavor sticking out that is just unnatural.

The mouthfeel is pretty full-bodied, perhaps a bit excessive carbonation however. The alcohol isn't completely hidden. It has a bit of a cloying sweetness.

It is a nice attempt by a macro brewery, but there is still room for improvement.

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Black with a reddish brown head 1 finger high. Head stuck around a while.

S: Bready with dark fruit aroma, plums maybe. No sweetness to the smell.

T: More bready roasted flavor. Alcohol didn't come through and maybe should have. Nothing stood out, subtle dark fruit and possible chocolate but I'm searching my tongue to find these.

M: Very syrupy and thick. Carbonation felt right but this RIP coated my mouth in a chalky way and felt like it took up way too much space in my stomach after each swallow.

O: Not a fan. If it's going to be this thick, it needs just as big of flavor layers to back it up. Wouldn't purchase or drink again given an alternative.

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

2.97/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Full disclosure:

I have never had a Leinenkgel that I have enjoyed. But, I consider myself very open minded in reviewing.m past experiences doesn't affect anything with me..if I beer is good or bad I say it.

I fully under stand why mainstream brewers want to tap into the "craft" or "niche" maker. Profits are not the driver, but street cred is.

An Imperial Russian is a VERY ambitious brew. And not one to be taken lightly.

That said, here is Big Eddy....this beer pours a beauty, dark with a big rich dark brown 2 finger head when poured into a Pinter.

The Magog ends at the appearance. Taste is very contrived. Maybe it is a function of volume brewed but all I taste is charred wood! Stouts should be a nice roasted malt, peat or similar backbone.

This tastes like burnt wood chips thrown in the mash.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company