1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Big Eddy Russian Imperial StoutBig Eddy Russian Imperial Stout

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: jj21 on 10-27-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Big Eddy Russian Imperial Stout Alström Bros

PeakedInHighSchool, Aug 15, 2014

walterk, Aug 13, 2014

Big_Dave, Aug 11, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Skyjmpr, Aug 10, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I hope I am not biased. A local beer store had 4 packs of this for $3.29. I think I'll be buying a case tommorrow. They probably had 12-18 cases on the floor. I'm guessing a distributer had a bunch sitting around that they wanted to unload.

Appearance - Very dark and the head formed very thickly when poured into a glass, even when care was taken. Nice caramel color to the head. the head went down after a minute and it maintained a 1/16" head.

smell - Nothing special. Not sure if my nose is acting up but I can't smell much. Bacially smells like a generic stout to me.

taste - At 83 cents a bottle for a 9.5% aABV beer ... surprisingly good. Not bitter at all. A Slightly sweet stout. The alcohol is not noticeable.

mouthfeel - Not something I know how to rate properly. I think it is as thick as any other stout.

Overall - worth every penny of the 83 cents I paid. I will be buying more. I actually like this enough that I'd happily pay $8 for a 4 pack.

kfh227, Aug 09, 2014
3.31/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: DARK DARK DARK. Pours with the viscosity of a bad 5 w 30. A beautiful caramel colored head finds its way to the top of my glass. Many small bubbles... but the few big bubbles show and stick around with the rest of the head.

S: Wood... OAK? Sweet dark fruit. Candi sugar almost? It is that sweet. Chocolate malt? Cannot fully tell as the alcohol overtakes much of it.

T: Sweet. Dark Fruits. Oak. Cherries. Light raisin. Heavy alcohol.

M: The feeling won't quit. I'm not sure if I am sipping bourbon or a beer. It is light at first... but now my mouth feels heavy... may be a numbing effect of the alcohol.

O: It is leines camouflaged in a pretty package. You know what you are getting. When I was in college... they were the best 73 man operation to get beer.... But this? It reeks of big business filling a niche. Poorly done on some levels... but fantastic at times as well. Going to drink the four pack over a few days at different temperatures. Tonight's was at what I assumed was a lovely 46 degrees. That should be fantastic for the type of beer. Maybe even on the low side. Hoping that my next attempt at 55-60 degrees is a little better. Unfortunately, unimpressed.

ahommell, Aug 09, 2014

smbslt, Jul 24, 2014

RobertH50, Jul 24, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a Big Eddy snifter. Three cheers for proper glassware! A nice, thick pour. About a finger of mocha head, tinged slightly red. A pretty dark body to boot.

Smells more like dried figs than anything to me, which is a little odd. But, hey, I like dried figs. Some notes of coffee and chocolate.

Taste is better than I expected from the brewery that bottles Summer Shandy, let's be honest. But there is a sweetness I can't quite put my finger on, a candy-like sweetness. Maybe some Summer Shandy fell into the barrel.

Smooth mouthfeel, but not the thickest or creamiest I've had in an Imperial Stout.

Overall, this beer is much better than I thought it would be. Leinenkugel doesn't scream "Excellence" in my opinion, but this beer is solid.

MakeMineADoubleJack, Jul 24, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

keags_beer, Jul 22, 2014

Meaty beefy big and bouncy! This 2012 edition of Big Eddy is excellent. Pours a thick black with a nice thick tannish brown head. Notes of chocolate, coffee, figs, and sweet malts. Taste is a lot like the nose. Chocolate and deep roasted grains up front with a coffee bitterness and sweet chocolate and deep roasted grains in the background with hops coming through on the aftertaste. One of the better imperials I have had, even better on tap. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, improves with warmth. Very nice and to be appreciated. Cheers!

Brutaltruth, Jul 22, 2014