Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut BrownLeinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: mothman on 08-12-2008

"Natural Flavor" is added to this beer.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Alström Bros
4.62/5  rDev +53%

I really like this beer when I tried it in February or 2012. The smell of the beer had a really strong hint of nutiness. The taste was very good as well if you are a fan of a beer that is flavored as. The appearance was a dark brown or hazel.My friends also liked this beer. I thought it was a very good beer and was sad to see it go.

4.6/5  rDev +52.3%

was part of the Leinenkugel sample pack

1st time i have tried a brown ale
drank it right from the bottle.
tasted amazing
nutty & smoky, makes seance called fireside nut i guess.

no bitterness at all, just a slight smokey aftertaste
one of the few beers that i think i could keep drinking and drinking. amazing.

4.48/5  rDev +48.3%

Appearance: big head, clear, leather brown, high carbonation

Smell: sweet toasted caramel malt

Taste: sweet caramel malt, a bit of hazelnut, and toffee

Mouthfeel: smooth and sweet

Drinkability: I know the brand is not popular here, but this is my guilty pleasure beer...I love the caramel malt...I love that this still tastes like beer and has some bite...I could session this and session it some more. This is one of my favorite beers and is Leinenkugel's best--There I am out.

4.43/5  rDev +46.7%

Great winter brew. The girlfriend loves it too. It's got a great flavor and is readily available here in Michigan, and several of the restaurants with good beer selection had it on draft.

Looks great, smells with hints of nutmeg and cinnamon, drinks just barely thicker than other brown ale's and is on average from what I've tried in that category. All around great beer.

4.4/5  rDev +45.7%

Pours a deep brown. Notes of hazelnut and smoke, rich caramel. The mouthfeel was thick and full. There was a late, light sweet finish and after it warmed even some background cinnamon and clove. I thought it was delicious! Apparently, I'm one of the few who does.

4.37/5  rDev +44.7%

This beer poured out very nicely into my beer mug. The brownish colored lager had a nice small head with very good retention and lacing. It doesn't have much carbonation. I really like the nutty maple smell it gives off. The taste is as goood as the smell. Get a nice strong nutty taste with some maple flavor followed by a hint of caramel and a hint of chocolate. I do wish the chocolate taste was a little stronger to balance out the nuttiness more, so while it is a good beer the brewers at Leinie's could always improve on this. I don't really care for the thin watered down mouth feel. To me it is a thinned out nutty syrup that needs more body added to it. It is a drinkable beer that goes down easy and because of that along with the smell and the taste has made this beer an enjoyable drink. This beer has the potential to become one of my favorites, but still a few weaknesses that need to be worked out.
I recently tried this beer on tap and will admit that the taste is much better on tap, and the mouthfeel on tap is more smooth and has more body to it. To me this is a beer that is a must have on tap, the bottle doesn't do this beer justice.

4.29/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Style: Winter Warmer
ABV: 4.90 %

Reviewed @ Pugh's, bottle>wine glass, 11/29/08
A 3.5, mid copper color, okay 1 finger head - but gone quick
S 4.5, very interesting smell, very unique indeed. Has a malty root beer spice kinda thing going on. Sweet roasty nut aromas also.
T 4.5, Sweet nutty-ness on palate. Reminds me of a nutty sweet malt root beer. Semi watery on finish.
MF 3.0, medium carbonation, somewhat thin on body, seems ok to contrast the sweetness
D 4.5, I dig the nutty root beer qualities. This is a unique brew for sure, I would drink it again, and recommend you try it if this review sounds interesting.

4.25/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Upon opening a good amount of smoke comes out. I poured it into a good beer glass. It gives a two finger head that laces and retains not too great but dissipates into 1/2 finger head. The color is white to offwhite. The body is amberish brown. Nice look to the Fireside Nut Brown.

It smells pretty sweet and nutty. I love the nutty smell to this. I can smell the malt too. I love the sweetness. It is possible that I am giving positive reviews to sweeter beers like this because I am coming off a three month craving of IPA's. Maybe Im jaded. I love the sweet smell though.

This tastes very very very nutty. Its not a taste I have really encountered before. I like it as its complimented with some nice sweet malt taste.

The mouthfeel is good and its not anything I could as more of in a beer like this.

Overall, its a nice winter beer. I don't know what people have against the Leinie's.
I love the nuttiness and sweetness of all this.

4.24/5  rDev +40.4%

A. Poured a clear copper brown, with a one finger off white head and small amounts of lacing on the glass.

S. Carmel Sweet roasted malt, brown sugar.

T. Sweet dark roasted malt, nuts, chocolate, with som ecarmel tones and not alot in the way of hops. Sweet.

M. Medium bodied medium to heavy carbonation.

D. Yum, a little on the sweet side, but I thought it was totaly in line for the style. A really good brew.

4.2/5  rDev +39.1%

Pours an very nice caramel color. 2 fingers worth of head that disappears quickly leaving a thin layer across the top of the glass.

Nice simple smell. Nutty. Slight chocolate, but mostly nuts.

Very smooth. Taste of chocolate and nuts. Very similar to the smell.

Another solid brew from Leinenkugel's, quite tasty am very pleased.

4.14/5  rDev +37.1%

this beer is a nice refreshing tasty flavorfull beer I bought it in a twelve pack variety pack and in the twelve pack variety pack are three each of four types of the leinenkugel's beer this twelve pack variety pack ran me twelve dollars and ninety nine cents the fireside nut brown is my favorite so far of this variety pack

4.07/5  rDev +34.8%

Got this with a microbrew pack in Manahawkin, New Jersey (Spirits Unlimited). I poured this into a Flying Fish Pint glass. It pours a brown colour with a finger white head, moderate to small amounts of lacing. The smell is purely roasted nuts with a hint of caramel, and the taste is same. Moderate to heavy mouthfeel with a smooth finish, and its a very sessionable, though needs to be drank slowly to enjoy the full benefits.

4.07/5  rDev +34.8%

A - An initial brown "muddy" pour that cleared as the beer settled in the glass. Very little lacing.

S - From the bottle a sort of metallic nutty flavor. Once in the glass, a faint roasted nut.

T - A nice experience with a taste that finishes with a tinge of roasted nut. This beer feels like a holiday dinner companion beer.

M - Not overly carbonated, though noticeable.

D - A pleasant experience, and one of my favorite Leine offerings.

I've secured about 24 bottles from a local retailer to keep. I may purchase more before the "seasonal" change.

4.06/5  rDev +34.4%

A: See-trhu copper to light-drown, little to no head, no lacing

S: Toasty malt fragrance, little to no aftersmell

T: This is a surprisingly tasty beer...the taste is a milky, carmely flavor with fireroasted butterscotch cream. Deliciois...there is a scorched marshmallow undertone, almost a milky banana that has me wanting more of this...there are good dynamics in this beer.

M: This beer's mouthfeel is not due to its taste. There is a medium-carbonation that is tingle on the tongue. It's a good tingle but it's a little overly-tingely for a nut brown, which are typically more astringent or alcohol tasting in the aftertaste. This one is like too good and I am getting bothered....love ya.

4.04/5  rDev +33.8%

Appearance: Medium dark brown, nice looking in color. However head dissipates very quickly,No lacing..

Smell: I absolutely loved the smell of this beer, very potent presence of caramel and chocolate, a bit of a roasty aroma too.

Taste: Follows right away with the smell, very good balance of caramel and chocolate. Hints of coffee a bit after the initial caramel and chocolate blast (I'll change this word) Explosion?!. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: A slight bitterness becomes present as you let the beer wander. Malty roastyness is dominant.

Drinkability: Very pleasant tasting, would drink many more of these! I would advise?! everyone to at least give this one a try.

Edit: Changed some words around so not to offend anyone who thinks I'm copying someone else's review. (Don't mean to offend anyone...)

I liked this beer. It has a hazelnut smell and taste that many seem to have trouble with but I think it works. I think as a "fireside" sipper this is a great beer. It is very drinkable and I say it is a nice drink for winter nights. Not a great beer but far from being bad!

Appearance: Amber-brown liquid with a golden white head.

Smell: Slight mineral aroma. Malt and spicy nut qualities.

Taste: Mineral overtones with a wave of nuttiness. Slightly smoky and sweet in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Slight acidity.

Drinkablity: Decent brew. Not as complex as I hoped, but solid while maintaining its simplicity.

3.94/5  rDev +30.5%

A- Pours a soapy 1.5 finger white head. The body is an amber/walnut color with no sediment. As the head recedes, it leaves small amounts of sparse lacing.

S- I get creamy notes of light chocolate, some nuttiness, hints of vanilla and maple nut. Deep down there is just a nuance of coffee.

T- Starts out with a nutty chocolate and maplenut note with some nice chocolate notes on the finish although suttle. This isn't terribly complex it has a nice balance between chocolate and nuttiness.

M- Carbonation is just a smidgen to high, and the body isn't terribly thick, but is good in my opinion. Read more in drinkability.

D- I had pretty low expectations for this brew but I was pleasantly surprised. This has a nice balance to it and although the body isn't huge, it works, especially given the 4.9%. I could see sessioning this. It doesn't anywhere near beat my favorite nut brown, goose island, but for the price, it's quite nice.

** As per the style, a winter warmer, I don't think so. It's more of a Nut Brown, although it's probably fermented with a lager yeast (the same as any other Leinies).

3.93/5  rDev +30.1%

Holy cow! When I took my first sip I thought I was drinking a bottle of liquid caramel. This brew is SO sweet that it makes a dessert on it's own.

It poured an amber-brown with moderate fiz. The dark white head lasted only a few seconds and left only a bit of lacing as my enjoyment progressed. The aroma was a faint hit of caramel/chocolate, nothing impressive. The taste was something else. My tongue was hit with caramel, and it was great. It was super smooth and very enjoyable. I have a sweet tooth, and this beer definately satisfied it.

3.9/5  rDev +29.1%

Poured into my guinness pint glass. Pours into a dark amber color with a half finger head leaves a trace lace.

Smells of nuts, caramel and some malt

Has a great taste. Nice malt and nut taste.

Has a med light mouthfeel

Has a nice drinkibility. This is a nice fall beer perfect for nights around the campfire.

3.89/5  rDev +28.8%

A- Light brown...average brown ale color
S- Nice hazelnut....maybe a bit on the fake side..but I like it
T- Lager taste..with a nice overlay of hazelnut and malt...if you
are looking for much more from this beer you will be let down..but approach it with the right mind set and no worries
M- Like any other macro..kinda thin...kinda watery
D- For the price..no worries I can drink this all day long....

and Bob's your uncle....

3.89/5  rDev +28.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Deep brown coloring, head minimal and carbonation apparent. Solid looking brew.

S: Nutty, roasty nose which I'm guessing is what Lelnie was going for with this brew. I enjoyed the smell.

T & M: Wow, I have yet to have a beer that tasted at all similar to this one. Carbonation comes through on the mouthfeel. Taste has definite nut qualities but I also get a strong taste of maple almost syrup style qualities.

D: Definitely drinkable, I had no idea what to this expect with this beer I was very pleasantly surprised. I will definitely be having this again.

Dec 20, 2008
Recommended by friend, and it did not dissapoint. From bottle poured into shaker glass. Nice colorful head, aroma and color. Very tasty, hint of caramel, chocolate. Smooth yet alarming to the palate. Very enjoyable, and I have been recommending it to others. Since initial review have tasted three times. I stand my my rating. A good seasonal beer - Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +28.5%

Had one with dinner at the pub the first time I had drank this beer, thought it was fair to good but seemed a little too sweet for my liking.

tried it again several evenings later and pretty much got the same impression,but seemed slightly smoother this time around.

a friend of mine just brought a twelve pack of this stuff over and it seems to be even smoother and less sweet tasting out of the bottle! Six of these went down rather nicely with no funky aftertaste at all. willget this again(maybe?) as it was fairly decent overall.

3.88/5  rDev +28.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a jar shaped mug
This is a fairly simple but good tasting brown. Great for those camp fire times. Was at the in-laws and had two lights before I saw this Leinie's and after those lights it tasted like the best beer in the world.
Look is brown with a finger of head.
Smell is mainly toasted nutty malt.
Taste is a sweet toasted nut with little bitterness at the end. Pretty simple flavors.
Finish is smooth and clean it has a good amount of carbonation.
A very drinkable beer I could put down a lot of these. Taste is good and simple.

Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company