Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut BrownLeinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown

awful

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: mothman on 08-12-2008

"Natural Flavor" is added to this beer.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Alström Bros
1.03/5  rDev -66.2%

Poured as an amber-brown-caramel color. If you could colorize a perfect beer to embody "fireside-nut-brown" as a crayon, take a picture of this beer's color. It's probably got color added. But there was no carbonation. The thin white head dissipated into nothingness. It's as if there was never any head there to begin with. Not even a thin film stayed behind after about 10 seconds. When I got this beer, I had my Spidey-bad-beer-sense begin tingling. But somehow... it looked like a beer for about 10 seconds. So it can't be a "1". Just a very fleeting image though.

Aroma just proved that my sense was correct. If you want to know how this beer smells, go to a Starbucks and ask for a shot of chestnut syrup, or a mixture of walnut and almond syrup. That's what you'll smell. A sickeningly sweet syrupy aroma.

Taste is of concentrated "nut" flavor and little else. No other flavors whatsoever. There's "nut"... and somehow, "brown". Possibly the first time in recorded history that we're able to taste a color.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery, no body whatsoever. Tastes literally like 70% water and 30% nut syrup.

Drinkability is obviously reserved for the porcelain king. You may end up worshiping him for longer than you anticipate, especially after consuming this beer. Also - once the beer warms above 32 degrees Fahrenheit or its volume exceeds 2 ounces, it is literally undrinkable. You could probably pay me to drink these beers by stuffing them with $100 bills - oh who am I kidding, if I got $100 to drink something that doesn't make me immediately hurl, I'd drink it.

Recommendation: Change the marketing on this from 12-oz "beer" to 2 oz "shots". Call it the Holiday Stimulus Shot. You get 6 shots in every bottle! What a value for your money! (1,757 characters)

1.19/5  rDev -61%

This has to be one of the worst beers I've ever had. I could't even finish it; had to drain pour. Would've considered having another, but the friends I was with confirmed its horribleness for me.

Pours a decent brown color, although a bit light, with no head or lacing. The taste and aroma is pretty much just vanilla extract (from the 'natural nut flavor'). Nothing else. Goes down rough and thick, too. I'll never have another one.

NOTE: This is a brown ale style, not a winter warmer, just because it came out in the winter. (529 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -58.7%

Without breaking the rules, it is hard not to slam this beer, especially after reading the description on their Website.

At least on the bottle it claims that it is "beer with natural flavors." I did not read that before I bought it.

My first sniff told me that this was unreal. The beer contained more flavor than could possibly be contained in its thin fizzy body. It is is way too chocolaty to simply come from chocolate malt, and, in my opinion, too sweet not to be sugared; it tastes of brown sugar. That's when I looked closer and saw the "natural flavor" claim. Went to the Website and there was no mention of this in the description.

I just think this is a dishonest beer. Fireside Nut Brown should be categorized as a "malt beverage." (747 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -56.7%

This is one of the most awful beers I have ever tried. It sounds nice on the packaging and looks pretty nice in the glass. The smell is almost indescribable. The taste was a combination of old cream soda and gas station cappuccino. We used it as a 'punishment' beer in a drinking game we were playing.

Avoid this beer. (319 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -56.4%

Picked this one up on a whim to finish off a build-your-own 6 pack. I won''t make that mistake again.

The bronze color with very little head makes this beer unappealing right from the start. It only gets worse with the scent, which is something of a fake hazelnut. The experience continues downhill with the taste; again a fake hazelnut, maybe a little maple syrup. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery. I couldn't bring myself to choke down the entire glass. (458 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -53.8%

I mistakenly bought a 12-pack of this beer before it was rightfully retired. The taste was horrendous, with an upfront unnatural nuttiness to it. The mouthfeel was of a metallic nature, and it was overly carbonated. Everything about this beer screams artificial.

I could not sell the remaining 10 beers for $5, after letting my four roommates try this. This is one of the only drain-pour worthy beers I've encountered, and will retire in the hall of fame of terrible beers. (474 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -49.5%

Damn you winter sampler packs! I should have gone with the Sam Adams one instead!

Dark rusty orange color. Two fingers of beige head. No lacing. Pretty poor retention.
Smells... Very faint... And I'm noticing this is a trend in the beer's by the brewery! The nose hints at caramel, cocoa powder, and the slightest touch of roasted malt.
The flavor is much the same-- light sweetness up front followed by an odd little chalky nutty character. As it warms, a little coffee note comes through that is actually a little enjoyable-- not enough to redeem the beer, but it improved the experience nonetheless.

Way too thin and overcarbonated (yet another trend I've noticed in this sampler pack!). Just poor.

Overall-- don't bother with this one. It is not good. (761 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -48.9%

I was debating between buying Moose Drool or trying Fireside Nut Brown, which was $2 less per six pack. The assistant manager of the liquor store said he guaranteed I would like this, so I tried it. I found this to be one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. It tastes to me like someone added a couple shots of hazelnut syrup to a beer (the kind of syrup used to flavor coffee). I have tried other Leinenkugel products before and think they are fine, but this stuff is crap in my opinion. (491 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -48.9%

Im starting off the year of BMC reviews with Leinie's Fireside Nut Brown.

The bottle produces a brown liquid. Decent carbonation, but nothing really special.

Smell is very BMC-like, plus load of dry nuts. Very nutty to the point of being off-putting.

The taste is awful. Very dry and nutty, like dried cashews and peanuts. The malt feels dry and kind of like dirt. Well mud to be exact. Ends slick and sweet. (411 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -48.2%

My first drain-pour. Complete disappointment, as I was looking for a decent brown ale, other than the stand by Newcastle.

Musty laundry notes pull through nicely on this quaff. And "Natural Flavor!?" Sweaty gym shorts is now a natural flavor?

Hazelnut is there, although very unnaturally so. I should have read some reviews before purchasing this one. Stay away, for shizzle! (378 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -43.9%

Pours brown with a shimmer of amber, off-white head. Nutty, malty smell --- a bit much though on the smell. Something is askew.

Carbonation is too much, and the artificial hazelnut & almond flavor is even more of a problem. Sweetness is overboard and the thin body makes the problem worse. No backbone or muscle, and any trace of hops is buried in the overbearing, fake flavor. This could use a bit more alcohol, body, and hoppiness, and less "natural flavor".

I'm all for experimenting with styles, but this one needs to be re-considered. For $8 a six pack, their are more approachable brown ales, especially for those who are trying new beers. (647 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -43.6%

Poured from the tap into a pint glass this stuff looks pretty good. Dark brown, just a little light shines through, nice looking. The smell is debatable. I thought it smelled like peanut butter, the bartender said maple syrup. In any case it didn't smell like good beer. It doesn't taste like it either. It just tastes like watery, cheap brown beer with artificial sweet maple nutty flavors mixed in. If they want to make a beer with nutty nuiances, do it right and brew beer with real complex nutty flavors like the good nut brown ales. This just seemed like they took shortcuts and ended up with a thrown-together mess. (621 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A blast from the past for this one. This was one of my favorites before I knew what craft beer was (read: did not know what the difference between an RIS and an IPA was). Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Troeg pint glass.

A: Standard pour yields a .5 finger light cream colored coarse head that receded quickly into a thin wisp. Beer is clear, obviously very carbonated, and brownish-amber. No lacing whatsoever on this one.

S: Nose is a skunky sourness and a slightly tart booziness. This one smells likes its gone bad... uh-oh... nuttiness is barely detectable... likewise with the brown sugar and caramel.

T: Opens slightly sour with a bit of brown sugar. Very watered down and near none of the nuttiness that I'm expecting. Finish is a bit hoppy with a weird skunk flavor though the brown sugar sweetness does make an appearance towards the end.

M: Light, coarse, watery, and highly carbonated. Finish is near non-existent as what flimsy flavors there are just fade into nothingness. This one is a thirst-quencher for sure though.

D: Even though I think I might've had a bad bottle here... I realize that my tastes have really changed. Like I said before, a thirst-quencher but with near no flavor or character... really not how I remembered it and I won't be having this again if I have a choice. (1,310 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -41%

My in-laws bought a Leine Lodge and this one was in it. Leinie's has a lot of good beers, this one looked interesting so I tried it.

I drank if from the bottle so I could not see it but it smelled pretty good.

The first sip was in your face nut flavor. Too much nut flavor in fact. I kept drinking it because I though it would settle down the more I got used to it but it did not. I actually could not finish this beer. There aren't many beers I would pour down the drain, but this is one of them. (501 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -39.7%

on sale at Target
now I see why
it took choking down half a bottle to be able to finish it

drank from bottle so no real rating on appearance
smell is proper for a nut brown
taste is... well... old gym clothes came to mind
mouthfeel is hardly noticed, as it is overshadowed by the taste
drinkability - one and done (314 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -39.3%

A- Pours a clear brownish amber color with a nice tannish colored head. Head leaves pretty much no lacing at all.

S- Smells really sweet almost like maple syrup. I could also pick up a tiny bit of malts, nuts and smoke.

T- Again very sweet here again and just like maple syrup which dominants the brew with its sweetness. I don't think I can finish this one.

M- Light in body and carbonation.

D- Just a little too sweet for me. I think I'll pass next time around. (467 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A: a rich amber hue with a small cream-colored head that disappears shortly after initial pour. Poor lacing.

S: nuts, nuts and more nuts. This was a little overpowering at first, but was slowly replaced by a caramel sweetness.

T: parallels the beer's smell, a rich buttery nuttiness, but in a bad way. Simply too much nut flavor without any complexity. There is not a note of hoppiness to this beer whatsoever. After the overpowering nuttiness wears off, the taste is replaced by a sweet caramel flavor with a hint of chocolate.

M: a little thin for my liking.

D: the overwhelming nuttiness flavor ultimately kills this beer, making it impossible to enjoy more than one during a sitting. (692 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -38.4%

Why is it that I have a predisposition about some beers and Leinenkugel's is always at the top. Alright, I have to put that aside and rate for what it is!

A: dark copper with some reddish hues. Thin sudsy head, just a tinge off-white. Not really any lace to make note of, a small dab around and about the glass

S: malts and barley and unnatural sweetness, reminds me of almond paste?

T: Oh my stars! I usually like a little more water and cardboard with my malts. I sense spices, maybe some chocolate and not really anything else. Everything just seems prefabricated about this beer...not much genuine about it

M: carbonation is alright...but how can you comment if the taste is this bad, really? In any regards, I would deem this mouthfeel weak and thin

D: Fireside Nut Brown is a scam...I would never curl up fireside with a beer like this. I would rather perform ritual killings (886 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -38.4%

First off, this is not an ale, it is a flavored beer. I like ale. I like beer. Flavored beer is another thing. I think the name lead me to believe this was an ale.
The beer poured an amber color that would be apropriate for a nut brown. there was very thin head and no lacing what so ever. Looked flat.
The smell is sweet with a bit of chocolate, carmel, light brown sugar, and a bit of roast nut. I think this is what they were looking for.
It tasted sweet like a bit of brown sugar was added to a light american lager. maybe the slightest hint of roast grain.
In the mouth I feel a small tingly fizz. Not much but a little lingering of hops on the sides of my tongue.
If you normally drink a light beer you might like this one. I bought a 12 pk of this and it will get drank over the weakend (guests, samples, etc...) but will not get it again. You can get better beer for the same money.
Another disappointment from a once great brewery. (948 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours a clean orange-ish to brown color with a light tan head. In the aroma, a dry nuttiness and a small caramel sweetness. In the taste, sweet to dry caramel backed by a dry nuttiness. A small spice like bite and a medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry caramel like aftertaste. Caramel and nutty, a bit sticky sweet to dry, eh!, pedestrian. (350 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -37.4%

A- Chestnut brown is a nice color, but the thin white head doesnt last or leave lacing.
S- Smell is brown bread and a strange abstract artifical nut aroma.
T- Some caramel and nut flavors. All the flavors taste... not quite real.
M- Excessively light weight, carbonation is initally decent but falls apart in the finish.
D- Just not a great beer. Flavors are too artifical and mouthfeel falls apart. (399 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, appropriately nut-colored body with a smallish, wispy, white head.

Smell: It's hard not to roll your eyes out of your damn skull with the very first whiff. I had hopes for just a simple, pleasant brown ale, but, right off the bat, I get a whiff of some artificial additions and little else. Let's discuss them in the next category.

Taste: To call the aroma and taste "unique" is about the politest way to put it. Waaay back in the early 1980's, dressed as either a ninja or a some character from "Star Wars", I'd make my trick-or-treating rounds of the surrounding neighborhoods. Sometimes you'd get the dreaded apple, the unwanted pencil, the curiously sticky handful of loose change, or even the inappropriate religious pamphlet. And still sometimes you'd get bottom-shelf clearance aisle candy that's probably been sitting in this joker's house for at least a couple years. These confectioneries always had that same icky taste that was sure to put a big, fat frown on any child's face. And here I sit with a big, fat frowny-face as I'm being made to revisit that horrendous taste. Artificially sweetened, less-than-naturally flavored, vaguely nutty caramel. Just as those candies had zero trade value with other kids, I couldn't pawn off the rest of the bottle for the life of me. No appreciable hop flavors or even bitterness. The flavor doesn't quite dry out by the time the finish rolls around. That'll be enough of that, thank you very much.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not recommended whatsoever. There are many, many better brown ales (nut or otherwise) to be had out there. (1,650 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A- clear orangish brown and golden around the edges. foam is thick as a light batter and leaves a few spots of lace.

S- hazelnut and milk chocolate artificial aromas with an underlying yucky generic beer smell.a little toasty and caramel but all is really dominated by fake stuff. which i don't like.

T- slightly metallic, and a mild, though not unpleasant fried fish flavor. still weird. hazelnut and milk chocolate flavor kick in right away similar to nutella but not so sweet. the actual beer base is generic and bland and im sure it was intended to be covered up by the flavorings. a little dry bitterness at the end.

MF- under medium bodied, medium carbonation, and a kind of half astringent-half yucky feeling.

D- mildly flavored, everyone likes hazelnuts and chocolate but the flavoring is transparent and the beer beneath isn't all that great. (857 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -35.4%

Live review of a 12 oz bottle.
A: Clear copper with a small cream head with lacing.
S: Buttery caramel walnuts with a cloying strange artificial sugar sweetness. I'm not a fan.
T: The taste is more subdued than the aroma, but an overly buttery biscuit and toffee with a creamy artificial sugar sweetness are key players. The whole malt character is odd.
M: Creamy smooth, but with a strange lack of body.
D: All right, it's drinkable, if there were very few other options.

It is way too... artificial. Sometimes Southern Tier comes off like this as well, but at least their malt profile is authentic. This seems like it was flavored to get that nuttiness. (656 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -35.1%

Leinenkugel makes pretty mediocre to poor beer, and Fireside Nut Brown is no exception. The beer pours a ruby mahogany brown with a bit of head that lasts a bit, not much lacing. The nose on the beer is musty, nutty, and just a little off putting. There may be some roasted grains in the nose as well.

The taste is mediocre beer with a load of hazelnut extract added in as flavor enhancer. There is some roasted qualities to the beer, but the hazelnut, maybe some walnut too, extract is just over powering and kills anything else interesting that may be going on with this beer. The hazelnut is killing it for me, although I'm detecting some bittering hop qualities in the finish, maybe some dryness on the back end as well. There is some cream soda consistency to this beer too. This is a pretty bad Nut Brown Ale no matter how you spin it. I'm not sure why this is labelled as a winter warmer by BA, because it is definitely not that. I don't think I can finish it. (969 characters)

Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company