Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: mothman on 08-12-2008

"Natural Flavor" is added to this beer.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 794 | Reviews: 369

1.03/5  rDev -65.1%

Poured as an amber-brown-caramel color. If you could colorize a perfect beer to embody "fireside-nut-brown" as a crayon, take a picture of this beer's color. It's probably got color added. But there was no carbonation. The thin white head dissipated into nothingness. It's as if there was never any head there to begin with. Not even a thin film stayed behind after about 10 seconds. When I got this beer, I had my Spidey-bad-beer-sense begin tingling. But somehow... it looked like a beer for about 10 seconds. So it can't be a "1". Just a very fleeting image though.

Aroma just proved that my sense was correct. If you want to know how this beer smells, go to a Starbucks and ask for a shot of chestnut syrup, or a mixture of walnut and almond syrup. That's what you'll smell. A sickeningly sweet syrupy aroma.

Taste is of concentrated "nut" flavor and little else. No other flavors whatsoever. There's "nut"... and somehow, "brown". Possibly the first time in recorded history that we're able to taste a color.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery, no body whatsoever. Tastes literally like 70% water and 30% nut syrup.

Drinkability is obviously reserved for the porcelain king. You may end up worshiping him for longer than you anticipate, especially after consuming this beer. Also - once the beer warms above 32 degrees Fahrenheit or its volume exceeds 2 ounces, it is literally undrinkable. You could probably pay me to drink these beers by stuffing them with $100 bills - oh who am I kidding, if I got $100 to drink something that doesn't make me immediately hurl, I'd drink it.

Recommendation: Change the marketing on this from 12-oz "beer" to 2 oz "shots". Call it the Holiday Stimulus Shot. You get 6 shots in every bottle! What a value for your money!

1.19/5  rDev -59.7%

This has to be one of the worst beers I've ever had. I could't even finish it; had to drain pour. Would've considered having another, but the friends I was with confirmed its horribleness for me.

Pours a decent brown color, although a bit light, with no head or lacing. The taste and aroma is pretty much just vanilla extract (from the 'natural nut flavor'). Nothing else. Goes down rough and thick, too. I'll never have another one.

NOTE: This is a brown ale style, not a winter warmer, just because it came out in the winter.

1.25/5  rDev -57.6%

1.26/5  rDev -57.3%

Without breaking the rules, it is hard not to slam this beer, especially after reading the description on their Website.

At least on the bottle it claims that it is "beer with natural flavors." I did not read that before I bought it.

My first sniff told me that this was unreal. The beer contained more flavor than could possibly be contained in its thin fizzy body. It is is way too chocolaty to simply come from chocolate malt, and, in my opinion, too sweet not to be sugared; it tastes of brown sugar. That's when I looked closer and saw the "natural flavor" claim. Went to the Website and there was no mention of this in the description.

I just think this is a dishonest beer. Fireside Nut Brown should be categorized as a "malt beverage."

1.32/5  rDev -55.3%

This is one of the most awful beers I have ever tried. It sounds nice on the packaging and looks pretty nice in the glass. The smell is almost indescribable. The taste was a combination of old cream soda and gas station cappuccino. We used it as a 'punishment' beer in a drinking game we were playing.

Avoid this beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company