Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

awful

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

"Natural Flavor" is added to this beer.

(Beer added by: mothman on 08-12-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into pint glass and watched two fingers worth of a white head settle to the top and dissipate to a light film and ring around the glass. The body is an amber red/brown.

The smell is a mix of sweet and toasted malt aromas as I expected, but I smell some yeast in their as well that isn't very complimenting. The beer has that massed produced smell which I was hoping not to get.

The smell is similar. Hits off the bat with a good mix of malt flavors I expected; caramel, burnt sugar, vanilla. At the finish though, I get that same aftertaste of a massed produced beer. Body of the beer feels good. I was looking for a somewhat dry finish that is characteristic of the English Nut Browns, but it wasn't there.Other than that, no complaints in that department.

A little disappointing in all honesty. I was excited to see this new offering of Leinenkugel but it came up a little short by my estimation.

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Tbn2, Nov 17, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +23.7%

12 oz sample bottle. Pours a light brown color with a slight amber tint in the highlights. There is a cream colored head that lasted a bit longer than most Leinie's but failed to produce any real significant lacing. Aroma is very sweet and has hints of roasted hazelnut, cappuccino, and a soft touch of maple sugar. Smells wonderful. Taste is basically the same as the aroma. Very smooth, tasty notes of roasted hazelnut and vanilla with a hint of maple syrup. This is all malt, I don't get any sort of hop presence at all. The mouthfeel is a little light and thin. I would have preferred a little bit more hearty mouthfeel but hey, I didn't brew it. All in all nice beer and I like to see Leinie's branch out like this. Hopefully this is a first in a line of new brews from them...and it's not a wheat beer!

trafordboy, Nov 16, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a lifeless reddish brown color with no lasting head whatsoever. Clear, and a bit thin looking. Smell is lightly fruity, nutty smooth and sweet malt. Taste is fruity, sweet and artificial candy like with a bit of nutty malt flavor and odd sweet lingering finish and some light yeastiness. Medium to light body with moderate carbonation. Strange flavor, and not a beer I'd recommend.

JDV, Nov 16, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I gotta say, This beer is nutz! Well on the nose. I think this is one of Leinies most agressive beers to smell. That being said...

It pours a good looking mahogany brown. Tan head that does fade after a bit. If I didn't take the time or just don't recall a real time fizz. I do note no lace to be had.

The aroma perfumes this beer. Chest-nuts on a open fire. You get wal-nuts, maple, pine and alittle oak. Molases, biscuit and earth accent the taste as well.

The mouth is left with a slight dry mapleness.

Ok, to sum thisone up. A good beer to be had..in the correct setting. This is Not a Winter Warmer accept by name. This is more of a "lets rake leaves" beer. At 4.9% its not going to warm anything. The mapleness, I think brown, autumn leaves.

So by its name, a nut brown indeed. I have yet to have my first real Winter beer for this year.

chilidog, Nov 16, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

I was looking forward to this beer after all of the hype. A little disappointing after the wait. However, it was typical leinenkugel. That is to say a decent beer. It had good taste, but lacked in head and lacing. Overall, a decent beer just hyped a little too much.

jsouza, Nov 16, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

This intrigued me when I went to the market so, in addition to grabbing two twelvers of Sam Adams Holiday Selections for the cellar, I figured it would go well with the fire in the fireplace, and the chilly, blustery day outside.

Like so many offerings from Leinenkugel, the pour offers much but yields much less in presentation. A moderately aggressive pour produced two dense fingers of soda-like tan head over a slightly cloudy mahogany body--very nice, except for the anticipated evaporation of the head, and no discernible lacing.

But the aroma atoned, flush with hazelnut coffee, vanilla, and dark chocolate. This is definitely one of the best smelling beers Leinenkugel has, without question. That these carried forward into the taste was even more enticing. Hazelnut is the dominant flavor, but the vanilla and chocolate are well represented. Yet the mouthfeel is a letdown, not surprisingly a bit flat given how quickly the head fizzled. This deadens what initially was a creamy texture. That's really a shame, considering that the smell and taste show real promise.

In all, this is no Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, which is markedly ahead of this all around. Nor is close to the level of Sam Adams' Winter Lager in the Winter Warmer category. However, Leinenkugel has a decent warmer here, full of flavor but in need of shaping up the body. With a bit of work, this would be a winner. I'd like to see Leinenkugel tinker with this over the next few months to make it what it could be.

Gehrig, Nov 15, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +13.6%

Bottle.

Poured a clear dark brown color with an average fizzy off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate toasted nutty and small hop aroma. Medium body. Medium balanced bittersweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

I would recommend this to a friend.

tmoneyba, Nov 15, 2008
3.3/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, it looks good - clear mahogany brown pour, decent ivory head that dies a bit quick. Tries to stick, but lacks any willpower.

Light aroma of malts, spice and hazelnut - very light. Thin, raspy quaff of the same, nothing overpowering, nothing outstanding. Crisp in the finish, I'd say this your working man's crossover brew to browns. Good price per sixer to draw one in, decent drinking brown to keep them around. Sure AIN'T no winter warmer, a nutty brown.

I don't care for hazelnut if it is too strong, this one drank nicely and I say would make for a fireside quaffer. Thanks to DT the legend for sending me the sample bottle.

Vancer, Nov 15, 2008
3.2/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hmmm, changed from a Brown Ale to a Winter Warmer in the BA database. Still don't think they have the right style listing on this one. Pours a clear dark copper/amber color with a nice head that falls quickly leaving light lacing. Nutty caramel aroma, a bit of chocolate. Very nice smell to this one. Warm and inviting. Not spicy like a Winter Warmer. Nutty flavor going on, slightly bitter, cracker-like malts, some caramel flavor, hint of sourness on the finish. Maybe the slightest chocolate notes. Aftertaste is unusual and off-putting. Strange sourness from this fresh bottle. Somewhat watery, light to medium bodied. Creamy, light carbonation. A decent offering, and much better than Apple Spice which was replaced by this one, but certainly nothing special. The aroma was the best part of this beer, by far. If only the taste could live up to the smell.

KeefD, Nov 15, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured this out of the bottle on a Friday evening.

The head was about one finger. The beer is a nice dark amber. Plenty of carbonation. Nothing to impressive.

The smell was great. I got something that reminded me of maple. Maybe my favorite smelling beer.

The taste was very nutty and a little bit like Log Cabin syrup. Not overpowering. My first taste and I was very happy with it.

Nothing stands out on the mouthfeel. I did get a small aftertaste that I did not like, but average.

A very drinkable beer.

I would recommend this one for breakfast without a doubt. Throw down some pancakes and enjoy the maple taste.

More seriously, I would recommend anyone try this beer.

My wife decided it was worth a C+.

rgrholmes168, Nov 15, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +28.8%

Very dark amber to brown color with thin wispy head.

Aroma of molasses and some maple. Sweet grains.

Taste is very good. Strong hints of maple and some halzelnut. Hops is very soft. More on the sweeter side of brown ales. Mouth is very watery, but works with this sweeter style ale.

Very refreshing, and i emjoyed it, but is it a great bee? I think not.

Freshie, Nov 13, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -9.2%

Had this tonight at a local restaurant. Poured up fairly nice - reddish brown look with a very light tan head of about one inch. Faded pretty fast though. Smells lightly of grains and heavy on a butterscotch chocolate chip note. Strange smell - not off-putting but nothing I want in a beer. Taste is fairly bland with decent carbonation and drinkability.

bound4er, Nov 13, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -27.1%

Drank straight from the bottle, smelled ok like nuts and brown sugar as stated before, but when I tasted it i was very upset. It tasted fake to me, like everything was artificial. There was no real nut taste, and it was very thin and tasted like it was advertised on MTV, if that makes any sense, It is like they gave up half way through the recipe, like someone fell asleep. Not happy at all and I will not buy this one again, however I am not saying I wont try the other flavors from the same brewer. Ahh I had to get that off my chest NO BUENO!!!

I came back to edit!!!

I got really dissapointed so I got curious and creative. I had brewed some coffee with a little cream and sugar, poured a shot glass full into my beer, BIG DIFFERENCE its ok now haha

KALIKGOLD, Nov 13, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured violently to a good slightly offwhite head. Brew itsself was a light brown in color. Head lasted a little while and left some lacing but not much. Smelled of strong hazelnuts and brown sugar. Smelled sweet. Tasted of hazelnuts, brownsugar, malt, and slightly sweet bitter. I get the feeling that real nuts were not used in making this product and perhaps some extract. It just didnt taste natural. Felt very thin in the mouth. Almost like it had no body. Just watery. I tried this beer and really didnt care for it. Wouldnt make it a session beer.

youngleo, Nov 12, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Pours a nice nutty brown hue with a nice solid half finger head. Okay retention and no lace noted.

S: Very sweet malt aromas. Artifical chocolate, hazelnuts, and brown sugar mostly. A slight hint of toasted malt as well.

T: Not a fan. Very artificial flavors. Chocolate extract, hazelnut extract with a big blast of malt sweetness.

M: Medium in body with ample carbonation.

D: Nah not really. Not a real fan. Everything about this one screams additives. I could do with out the extracts or whatever was used to bring out these bizarre flavors.

tpd975, Nov 11, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +21.4%

On-tap, served in a weizen glass.

A- It poured with a very clean, reddish-brown body and a 1 finger head that dropped to a lace quite quickly, leaving nice sticky spots on the glass.

S- Initially I got a wiff of what seemed like a pilsner. It was really bready and sweet (Hawaiian Bread anybody). As it warmed a very pronounced nut and slight chocolate aromas came through.

T- It started off a little overly sweet for my taste. As the beer warmed, the nut flavors became much more pronounced.

M- The feel was a little overly clean. It was a bit watery and seemed a tad overcarbonated.

D- It was alright, but really missed a "wow" factor.

Overall- A decent beer that will beat the usual suspects at many bars. I'm a little confused by the syle listing of "winter warmer." I'd consider it more of an English Brown style. Then again, I've read that it may be a lager. I guess that's the joy of beer styles. When it comes down to it, they're open to interpretation.

GRPunk, Nov 10, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -7.5%

I do not like Leinenkugel beers. They are the soda of the beer world. They are like coke 2 compared to coke. It is like they add sweeteners.

looked good in the glass medium brown with an off white head. Head is gone soon after it appeared.

Smelled like a medium roasty malt beverage. Lots of chocolate.

When I first tasted this I was weirded out. It tasted like chocolate to me. I was wondering why they called this a nut brown ale if t was so choco. Thebn I realized that I was tasting Hazelnuts. I associate hazelnuts with chocolate so this is what caused my confusion.

I was taken aback by the change in flavor profile, but once I realized it It wasn't bad. Still the flavoring was a bit off. Did they use nuts or extract. It was a little to strong in nutty goodness. ease up.

I won't buy this again.

dippy, Nov 10, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +31.5%

I feel kind of bad rating this one so high, as it is certainly a "wuss" in rather muscle-bound category of beer. But my rating is high for one reason and one reason only. It tastes good! Lace/foam is non-existent and makes one wonder what you just poured. This brew is sweet and has hints of coffee and chocolate - although neither are very earth-shattering. One must consider the price point and the market appeal, however. This is a winter warmer for the masses, and it hits the mark for that section of the market without a doubt. Aunt Mary could quaff this puppy down on Thanksgiving or Christmas! Very drinkable and reinforces the fact that Leinie's has probably introduced almost as many macro drinkers to micro as Sam Adams (okay, I admit, I have Midwestern bias). A good introduction to the style and not offensive, although one could certainly argue that it's overly sweet (as many Leinie's products are), but I'm behind this one. A good, easy-drinking dark beer for the fall. I will gladly sit down and swill this one - mild like newcastle but much sweeter. Have it with your favorite fake cranberry sauce and Stove Top stuffing this Thanksgiving.

stangski83, Nov 09, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +25.4%

A fascinating beer. A "nut brown ale" that is classified on this site as a winter warmer, yet the Leinie website calls it a lager.

A - Poured out a burgundy/brown color with a creamy, foamy, off-white head that left some trails of lace.

S - It smelled of nuts, caramel and grasses. A very sweet smell with fruity notes, too.

T - It tasted of hazelnut, caramel and sweet fruit flavors - like apple. Also a nice toasty roasted malt taste.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer with a subtle warming quality.

D - This is a pretty good beer. Interesting flavors and aromas.

zeff80, Nov 09, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -3.4%

A- bottle poured into american pint glass. great amber color with an ivory head that had good body and was slow to dissipate. lots of carbonation bubbles coming straight from the bottom of the glass.
S- not much to speak of, but subtle hints of malts and nuts
T- has a blank-slate american lager taste at first, which surprised me because it's appearance was much more in the style of a rich ale. but then the nuttiness hits a few seconds after you'd like it to. Rich hazelnuts, almonds, maybe even chesnut come through and the flavor bounces form one nut to the next, but definitely provides and great overall nutty flavor. unfortunately that's the only flavor present. it's not sweet at all, just nutty, and unfortunately i think that may be one of it's downfalls. Also there was a definite metallic taste present, like eating a ferrero rocher and not realizing theres still a bit of the foil stuck to the bottom until it sinks into one of your fillings and jolts the nerve
M- like any lager. great carbonation, but with a "nut brown" i was hoping for maybe less. definitely doesnt fill the mouth with any malts, and there's no abv to clear out the nutty flavor, so it's left to just hang there and fade away rather than be cleaned off.
D- Depends on the person. I fully intend on giving this to my thanksgiving guests that normally are pounding heineken light, and they will probably like it, jumping from that stepping stone.

I got this thinking it would follow in a similar model to Strada Felice, a dessert beer made with chesnuts. I wasnt expecting miracles from leinies, but i expected more than what this is, which is a one-note brew that brings absolutely nothing else to the table. It's not bad taking it at that, and i will easily be able to finish the 6-pack, but overall its tasty but not impressive

Cunningham26, Nov 09, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -49.2%

I was debating between buying Moose Drool or trying Fireside Nut Brown, which was $2 less per six pack. The assistant manager of the liquor store said he guaranteed I would like this, so I tried it. I found this to be one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. It tastes to me like someone added a couple shots of hazelnut syrup to a beer (the kind of syrup used to flavor coffee). I have tried other Leinenkugel products before and think they are fine, but this stuff is crap in my opinion.

MarkGGlen, Nov 09, 2008
3.33/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased in a Leinie's "Explorer Pack" at BevMo Cypress, variety of twelve bottles on sale for $12.99 (regular $15.99). Poured into a pint glass.

A: The color of maple syrup, though wholly transluscent and relatively light at 23 SRM. One inch head vanishes within a minute to nothing. Beyond the appealing color, little other visual fulfillment to be had.

S: Faint aromas of sugary chocolate and hazelnuts.

T: Chocolate covered caramels or hazelnuts. Very mild bitterness. Few flavors toward the front or back of the tongue. Pleasant and simple.

M: Medium body with a good deal of carbonation. The fizziness of the beer seems to focus a brew that might be found too bland without ample bubbles bouncing against the palate. I am hesitant to call it overcarbonated, as it would probably be a boring beer without such a panache.

D: Easy drinking, perhaps too much for a "winter warmer" as it is classified here. The bottle pushes it as a nut brown, though I have read it is actually a lager. The biggest obstacle to drinking these is the carbonation and how little else is happening beyond this and the sweet malts.

One of the better bottles I found in my Leinenkugel Explorer Pack, but a decidedly average beer.

vacax, Nov 09, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +40%

A: See-trhu copper to light-drown, little to no head, no lacing

S: Toasty malt fragrance, little to no aftersmell

T: This is a surprisingly tasty beer...the taste is a milky, carmely flavor with fireroasted butterscotch cream. Deliciois...there is a scorched marshmallow undertone, almost a milky banana that has me wanting more of this...there are good dynamics in this beer.

M: This beer's mouthfeel is not due to its taste. There is a medium-carbonation that is tingle on the tongue. It's a good tingle but it's a little overly-tingely for a nut brown, which are typically more astringent or alcohol tasting in the aftertaste. This one is like too good and I am getting bothered....love ya.

cindiwindi1025, Nov 09, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

Clear coppery brown color with a modest and quick disappearing tan head.

The aroma is intriguing - chocolate and hazelnuts with hints of maple syrup and caramel malt.

The taste is along the same lines but with more of the maple syrup and a bit less chocolate. Somewhat sweet, a bit thin and watery for a winter warmer but interesting as a lager. The finish is a bit odd - a touch of herbal hops with a lingeriing lactic tang and maple flavor.

Light/medium bodied, fairly drinkable, I'm not real sure how to classify this brew.

whynot44, Nov 09, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours to clear orangeish brown with thin white head.

Had a nutty spice smell. Very inviting!

Has a nutty maple syrup taste. Very sweet.

Has a high carbonation so it is very light in the mouth.

1 or 2 wouldn't be bad, but no more than that. To sweet.

LordofTime25, Nov 08, 2008