Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

awful

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

"Natural Flavor" is added to this beer.

(Beer added by: mothman on 08-12-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +50.2%

This beer poured out very nicely into my beer mug. The brownish colored lager had a nice small head with very good retention and lacing. It doesn't have much carbonation. I really like the nutty maple smell it gives off. The taste is as goood as the smell. Get a nice strong nutty taste with some maple flavor followed by a hint of caramel and a hint of chocolate. I do wish the chocolate taste was a little stronger to balance out the nuttiness more, so while it is a good beer the brewers at Leinie's could always improve on this. I don't really care for the thin watered down mouth feel. To me it is a thinned out nutty syrup that needs more body added to it. It is a drinkable beer that goes down easy and because of that along with the smell and the taste has made this beer an enjoyable drink. This beer has the potential to become one of my favorites, but still a few weaknesses that need to be worked out.
I recently tried this beer on tap and will admit that the taste is much better on tap, and the mouthfeel on tap is more smooth and has more body to it. To me this is a beer that is a must have on tap, the bottle doesn't do this beer justice.

DannyDan, Dec 10, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -8.5%

My father gave me one of these to try. Tastes like an extract homebrew.

The appearance on this one is a mix of copper and brown. Very clear and a very crisp one finger head is along for the ride.

The smell is very faint and is of stale hops and a dry neutral malt. This does smell like a very poor homebrew.

The taste is okay, very mediocre. There is a bit of burned malt to the taste, as well as a very light hint of hazelnut. There are some light brown ale characteristics, but they have been watered down a bit.

The mouthfeel is overly carbonated and not very enjoyable. It was hard getting through a twelve ounce.

J

Jmoore50, Jan 07, 2010

sobeleg, Nov 16, 2011

SHCC, Feb 25, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -23.7%

MaxOhle, Nov 10, 2012

Blueribbon666, Jan 07, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a 12 pack of this for $5.99. Can't beat that price for 12 beers!

A: Light brown pour with a good light tan head that leaves lace on the glass after about 1-2 fingers of head.

S: Malt/skunk - a bit weak in the nose

T: Wow - nuttiness comes through then some malt, and hops - combination works well - nose doesn't do the beer justice. My suggestion - don't pour this in a glass

M: Carbonation is mild - beer is smooth

D: Could drink more of these but won't pour them.

beerman207, Feb 26, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -49.2%

mzeld, Mar 27, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +33.9%

Holy cow! When I took my first sip I thought I was drinking a bottle of liquid caramel. This brew is SO sweet that it makes a dessert on it's own.

It poured an amber-brown with moderate fiz. The dark white head lasted only a few seconds and left only a bit of lacing as my enjoyment progressed. The aroma was a faint hit of caramel/chocolate, nothing impressive. The taste was something else. My tongue was hit with caramel, and it was great. It was super smooth and very enjoyable. I have a sweet tooth, and this beer definately satisfied it.

DesMoinesMike, Dec 18, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -6.8%

Jackal, Jul 26, 2013
2.7/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

"Beer with natural flavor"? I guess I've never had that til now...

A - Pours a crystal clear brown in color. A slight light cream colored head tops the body and recedes to a thin cap after just a couple of minutes. Not much lacing.

S - Sort of a sweet and nutty aroma. A combination of caramel and some sort of earthy nut. Doesn't smell that appealing.

T & M - This is a very artificial nut taste riding on a bit of a caramel malt body. I think the nut taste I'm getting most closely resembles the red skin that is wrapped around a peanut. Thin bodied, and it finishes with that same "red nut skin" aftertaste. There also seems to be a mit of a strange metallic taste that arrives as it warms. What are the "natural flavors" they've added here anyways?

D - I had to go to the Leinenkugel's website to see what they had to say about this beer. Not much...but I did find that they add "Natural Hazelnut Flavor". I guess this just wasn't a beer that I enjoy...being thin bodied and of low ABV it's easy to drink, but certainly not flavorful. Avoid this one.

drizzam, Dec 25, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +32.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Deep brown coloring, head minimal and carbonation apparent. Solid looking brew.

S: Nutty, roasty nose which I'm guessing is what Lelnie was going for with this brew. I enjoyed the smell.

T & M: Wow, I have yet to have a beer that tasted at all similar to this one. Carbonation comes through on the mouthfeel. Taste has definite nut qualities but I also get a strong taste of maple almost syrup style qualities.

D: Definitely drinkable, I had no idea what to this expect with this beer I was very pleasantly surprised. I will definitely be having this again.

elniko, Nov 01, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -4.1%

Heavy handed pour, nice fluffy, barely-tan head. Rose to about two fingers thick, and actually lasts a little bit. Color isn't great, can't decide whether it's brown or amber colored-- a little of both, I suppose. Very clear, with limited carbonation visible. Strong smell of slightly artificial hazelnut with a clean finish of adjunct grains. Less nuttiness is taste than in smell, this is a straightforward, slightly nutty brown ale. Relaxed cereal grains complimented pretty well by the natural nut flavor (whatever it may be), clean finish. Dunno what else to say, it's a nutty brown ale, nothing more. Mouthfeel is too thin, needs more body than this to be a fireside beer. And less carbonation, too.

SamN, Jan 19, 2011

durwood64, Dec 30, 2011

Bubbalito, Mar 01, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -6.8%

Waveoff, May 26, 2013

mcorwin, Nov 20, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Had on tap at the Leinie's Lodge after a tour!

The beer pours brilliantly clear, light brown with a nice thick off-white head. The aroma is moderate toasted malt with some roast/chocolate and a bit of sweetness. No hop aroma. The taste is low roast/chocolate malt, slightly dry, very thin body and watery mouthfeel. Carbonation is moderate. I could drink of few of these but wouldn't choose to as the lack of flavor and mouthfeel was greatly disappointing.

Worth trying, but I found this disappointing, I think an increase in the mouthfeel would go along way, I would agree this isn't a beer you want to chew, but give me something! Malt flavor increase would be very welcomed as well.

uwmgdman, Oct 19, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +13.6%

I had never seen this winter warmer so I decided to try it. Poured a reddish amber with a little head. Smell was not like a nt brown but vanilla like and more malty than hoppy. I was hardly a winter warmer because I didn't detect a single hop. The taste was floral at first then at the very finish was a touch of vanilla and caramel, not too over powering but not too complex either.

Portertime, Jan 03, 2009

aliving1, Jan 03, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

buzzed, Sep 16, 2012
3.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A - Poured a clear copper color. The pour produced a head of slightly off-white foam and soapy lacing. Good carbonation.

S - Macro style aroma with slight hints of hazelnut and vanilla.

T - More of the same. Slight sweetness (caramel/hazelnut)combines with the macro taste (budweiser cans come to mind)up front then follows with a slightly bitter/dry finish.

MF&D - Thin bodied, but easily drinkable. This beer was a little bit of a let down, but overall it was drinkable enough.

nasty15108, Nov 18, 2008
3.15/5  rDev +6.8%

Copper color body. Off white almost beige head that fades away quickly. No lacing.

I really don't get much of a aroma.

Caramel, hazelnut, toffee. Not bitter at all. Nice tasting, I get a roasty and a slight smokey taste.

Light to medium body, Carbonation is quite high for a nut brown ale.

This is definitely a easier drinking nut brown ale for the macro drinkers. Not a bad attempt.

9InchNails, Nov 12, 2011