Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Euro Dark Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: mothman on 08-12-2008

"Natural Flavor" is added to this beer.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Alström Bros
firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
3.37/5  rDev +11.6%

Color and head looked about right for this type of beer. I definitely expected a toned down version of your typical brown ale, such as New Castle. The smell was pleasant and sweeter than anticipated. It does bring vanilla to mind. The taste was sweeter than expected, and, in my opinion, sweeter than it should be. The sweetness almost removes it from the style of beer. Far to thin for a brown ale. I definitely need something more substantial.

3.15/5  rDev +4.3%

I used to hate this beer until I tried drinking it at about 45 degrees. The bitterness and dirty flavor that I had previously associated with the beer disappeared and a nice mouth feel came out. Rediscovering a beer is almost as good as fiding a new one. A friend of mine recommended that I heat it up to a cider temperatue, maybe on the next one.

1.84/5  rDev -39.1%

on sale at Target
now I see why
it took choking down half a bottle to be able to finish it

drank from bottle so no real rating on appearance
smell is proper for a nut brown
taste is... well... old gym clothes came to mind
mouthfeel is hardly noticed, as it is overshadowed by the taste
drinkability - one and done

1.26/5  rDev -58.3%

Without breaking the rules, it is hard not to slam this beer, especially after reading the description on their Website.

At least on the bottle it claims that it is "beer with natural flavors." I did not read that before I bought it.

My first sniff told me that this was unreal. The beer contained more flavor than could possibly be contained in its thin fizzy body. It is is way too chocolaty to simply come from chocolate malt, and, in my opinion, too sweet not to be sugared; it tastes of brown sugar. That's when I looked closer and saw the "natural flavor" claim. Went to the Website and there was no mention of this in the description.

I just think this is a dishonest beer. Fireside Nut Brown should be categorized as a "malt beverage."

3.65/5  rDev +20.9%

Very good. Over carbonated, but arroma and taste are very good. Sharp over tones play well with hops. It was part of a multipact my father-in-law picked up. He is usually a fan of Icehouse, so this was a surprise.

I would say tha the beer has a fairly good beer, worth a 6 pack.

4.43/5  rDev +46.7%

Great winter brew. The girlfriend loves it too. It's got a great flavor and is readily available here in Michigan, and several of the restaurants with good beer selection had it on draft.

Looks great, smells with hints of nutmeg and cinnamon, drinks just barely thicker than other brown ale's and is on average from what I've tried in that category. All around great beer.

2.96/5  rDev -2%

- This beer poured golden brown, with almost no head. Has a very clear, glassy look while in the glass.

- Smells quite strongly of peanut and hazelnut, maybe some other nuts in there as well, but the peanut is the most potent smell. Reminds me of the way that some organic peanut butters smell, a little oily and a lot "peanutty."

- Tastes a lot like peanuts as well. Very little bitterness or malty flavor. Overall a pleasant taste, but a little too much on the peanut flavor.

- Feels smooth and a little thick. Very little carbonation.

- This beer is quite drinkable, however the peanut flavor is slightly overpowering, so I wouldn't necessarily want more than one.

Good beer, but it would be nice if the other nuts came out as much as the peanuts.

3.15/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I am surprised this beer has such bad reviews. Even though it's a cheap beer, it's a good beer. I could care less about how a beer smells or looks in the glass, if it tastes good, i am drinking it.

The nutty taste is not overwhelming, but as it sits the malt comes through more and gives it a more defined taste. If you are on a limited budget, this is a good beer to look for.

1.56/5  rDev -48.3%

I was debating between buying Moose Drool or trying Fireside Nut Brown, which was $2 less per six pack. The assistant manager of the liquor store said he guaranteed I would like this, so I tried it. I found this to be one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. It tastes to me like someone added a couple shots of hazelnut syrup to a beer (the kind of syrup used to flavor coffee). I have tried other Leinenkugel products before and think they are fine, but this stuff is crap in my opinion.

1.58/5  rDev -47.7%

My first drain-pour. Complete disappointment, as I was looking for a decent brown ale, other than the stand by Newcastle.

Musty laundry notes pull through nicely on this quaff. And "Natural Flavor!?" Sweaty gym shorts is now a natural flavor?

Hazelnut is there, although very unnaturally so. I should have read some reviews before purchasing this one. Stay away, for shizzle!

3.18/5  rDev +5.3%

First taste was enjoyable, never poured it much, just drank from the bottle. not bitter but had a slight coffee taste to me, poured nice and kept a good head when i poured one. Enjoyed it very much. bought it several times. great whilr viewing an open fire on a cool evening.

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

I try all the beers I can and I am rarely disappointed. Even the big company lagers have their place although too many don't understand that, but as for this beer... it is the first one since some pumpkin beer I will not drink again. I found this beer to average in the various ways in which beer is judged, which is to say, good; however, the flavor of this beer stuck me immediately as having a chemical, artificial flavor. Unfortunately, that is the predominate characteristic.

2.76/5  rDev -8.6%

Fireside Nut Brown
Appearance-Pours deep Maple Color, foamy yet thin head

Smell- Very Earthy smell, no real discernible smell to point out, other than slight coffee/ nuttiness

Taste –Very Toasty nutty taste. Almost peanut like. Very thin bitter aftertaste. Kind of a simple beer, just nuttiness, no other complex flavors.

Mouth –Feels a lot thinner than it looks, almost watery

Overall – Not a bad beer, but almost to overpowering with the nutt flavor and not enough else going on.

2.29/5  rDev -24.2%

I poured the beer from the bottle into a pint glass. The beer had absolutely zero head, on top of that the color was a very translucent brown; watery.

The beer smelled very much like hazelnut iced coffee. No evidence of hops or malt, just the smell of hazelnuts.

The taste displayed very high carbonation with no finish except for the artificial hazelnut flavor which was slightly present. Malt and hops are non-existant. The taste can most easily be described as hazelnut iced coffee mixed with seltzer water. No complexity what-so-ever.

This beer did not have any of the characteristics of a nut-brown ale, but the beer also did not say “ale” on the label. My expectations were for a nut-brown ale and I was disappointed.

3.68/5  rDev +21.9%

I went out to dinner last night and the restaurant had this on tap so I gave it a shot. I have to say I was surprised & impressed. I love Nut Brown's and I've tasted everything from bitter to hoppy to just plain strange and this one is more complex than I expected. The caramel flavor hits you upfront and the aftertaste is all chocolate. That being said, it didn't find it too sweet which can't be said for a lot of other Nut Brown's.

Fast-forward to today: I decided to grab a six pack of this on the way home from work. Couldn't wait to get home and crack one. Two words: don't bother. Not exactly the same experience as the night before. No real aroma like out of the tap, no legs in the glass, way to light of a taste and a sweet (not the the good kind) finish. Hard to believe they are the same ale. Maybe I need to fool around with the temp a bit, but I'm not optimistic.

Bottom line for me: tap or forget it.

1.86/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

A: a rich amber hue with a small cream-colored head that disappears shortly after initial pour. Poor lacing.

S: nuts, nuts and more nuts. This was a little overpowering at first, but was slowly replaced by a caramel sweetness.

T: parallels the beer's smell, a rich buttery nuttiness, but in a bad way. Simply too much nut flavor without any complexity. There is not a note of hoppiness to this beer whatsoever. After the overpowering nuttiness wears off, the taste is replaced by a sweet caramel flavor with a hint of chocolate.

M: a little thin for my liking.

D: the overwhelming nuttiness flavor ultimately kills this beer, making it impossible to enjoy more than one during a sitting.

4.14/5  rDev +37.1%

this beer is a nice refreshing tasty flavorfull beer I bought it in a twelve pack variety pack and in the twelve pack variety pack are three each of four types of the leinenkugel's beer this twelve pack variety pack ran me twelve dollars and ninety nine cents the fireside nut brown is my favorite so far of this variety pack

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last