Leinenkugel's Classic Amber - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 10-31-2008

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
3.99/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured out with 1/4 of head that disapeared fast. Nice reddish amber color. People will notice your not drinking a light beer.

Smelled of sweet roasted grains.Hops.

Lightly toasted bread. Tasted of hops on the back.

Medium body. Light carbonation.

Very drinkable. A sesson beer.

I think this is a winner from leinenkugel's (330 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +27.1%

I got this bottle as a freebie from Mike at Poplar Wine & Spirits.

This pours a very bright and clear amber gold with a 1 finger head of foam. Nice looker.

The smell has a nice hop/malt balanced nose to it giving me both sweetish snd bitterish tones. I like the nose but I wish it was a bit more assertive.

The taste has a pretty big kick of caramel malt sweetness up front, with some earthy tones, and then some nice hoppy notes move in....yeah, I just read the label and they have 4 different varieties in here and you know what? It *works* for me. I think I just found a new good session beer! And...I'm not usually a big fan of Amber Ales excepting some of the big boys of the style.

The mouthfeel is medium as is the carbonation.

Drinkability? Damn good. Easy drinking and tasty to my palate, I'll be buying 6 packs of this stuff!

Btw, head retention was above average and there's *some* lacing. (906 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic.

Pours a light honey color with a small head that quickly dissipates and leaves no spotting.

Aroma is of light malt and honey. Sweet malt and that's about it.

Flavor is two row malts that are abused in the roasting process, which isn't a bad thing trust me, but these bad boys have been KILLED and CREMATED. Hop flavor is non-existent and the SUPER ROASTED flavor I get is from the malt that is more like a nut brown malt than an amber. Burned popcorn is the majority of the taste.

Mouthfeel is light to medium and adequately carbonated.

Wow, not very impressed after the local hype on this one. (643 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer pours a clear gold color. I guess Leinenkugel wants me to believe "classic amber" is actually gold. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing quickly. The aroma is of the same generic caramel malt that is present in most of Leinies beers. The taste is like the aroma. The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Overall, this beer tastes very similar to Leinies other beers. Dull would be a good word to describe it. I can't see myself drinking this one again. (534 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +15.8%

I was hoping for more than what I got, I decided that the beer would be a better one. I really like Liene beers they are pretty good, the summer brew is one of the great beers that I have had. I really would like to try the different beers that are offered by Lieni. I am sure It would be one of the best beers ever. (316 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Bright clear red/amber. Poured a one finger coarse white head that dissipated quickly to a skim. Broken, inconsistent lacing.

S: Overpowered by a big, sweet vanilla aroma right up front. Also wet grains and caramel.

T: Sweet vanilla, roasted malts and caramel. Lightly bitter finish wasn't sufficient to balance the sweetness.

M: Medium body. Smooth and creamy. Balanced carbonation.

D: Easy drinking considering its sweetness; probably not a session beer. I didn't get that hot alcohol taste like in some really sweet beers.

Another fairly good interesting beer from the north woods. (603 characters)

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last