Leinenkugel's Classic Amber - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Classic AmberLeinenkugel's Classic Amber

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 10-31-2008)
Brenden

3.38/5  rDev +9%

At least on tap, I didn't get much of a head or lacing to speak of. I think it was a little flat due to a tap line issue or some such. The color was a clear amber with an orange tint. The aroma is malt with some wheat / grains. The taste follows suit. It's light and none too complex. Balance isn't perfect but it's not too off. Mouthfeel is above average. It isn't particularly thin and is pretty smooth. The finish is somewhat dry with a touch of hops. To be honest, this is quite session able but I think the appearance might be better if I poured this myself from a bottle and it was fresher.

04-02-2009 02:55:40 | More by Brenden
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

To me this seems more of a lager than an ale.

Pours a thin white head, no retention, very slight splattered lace. No big surprises here. Color is a clear golden straw yellow.

Aroma is a grainy, like an American macro lager. Some honey notes and maybe some dried wheat.

Taste is very similar to an American macro later but with a little more flavor. There are some honey notes and basic malts here.

Mouthfeel is the expected crispness that are in most simple lagers (not bocks, vienna, ect.). Then it is kind of refreshing and then it dulls out. It ends with a sticky aftertaste.

Overall, another letdown from Leines. I was hoping thing would be similar to an amber ale, but it reminded me a lot of a lager. The last three brews have been major letdowns to me (1888, Classic Amber, and Fireside). I am hoping they can step it up and put out something a little better.

03-30-2009 21:30:28 | More by mothman
TheTrevor

This beer poured a copper color with a big head. The smell is pretty subtle and after a while I've decided that it kind of smells like some malt and that's about it, I have no idea how they made a beer that smells so little. The taste is depressingly similar to the smell, just a spurt of lightly toasted malt at the start that gives away to a bit of hops that lead into a clean finish. Not unpleasant, but very boring. The mouthfeel is watery with some fine carbonation. You can drink the hell out of a six-pack of this beer, but I'm not sure why you would. Not a horrible beer, but I certainly wouldn't call it a good version of the style.

03-29-2009 21:01:36 | More by TheTrevor
OzarkElmo

Missouri

3.6/5  rDev +16.1%

Mar 28, 2009
Bottle pour into pint glass. Nice moderate white head, carbonated. Clear amber color with good, definite malt aroma. Well balanced, roasted malts, caramel notes. Very slight hint of hops in the finish. A good session beer. Overall a good effort from Leiny- - Cheers!

03-29-2009 01:43:40 | More by OzarkElmo
Minkybut

3.75/5  rDev +21%

I poured this nicely finished beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice amber (light) color and it poured a pretty nice head that lasted a decent amount of time. The lacing of the beer was also fair. The smell was not so great I thought and smelled sour. But the taste was not so it was all good. Taste was nutty slightly and hinty of toffee. I liked the beer.

03-28-2009 16:54:55 | More by Minkybut
allengarvin

3.48/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer is a nice medium-gold color with better head retention that I've seen in most Leinenkugels. It has a sweet, caramel nose, a bit faint. Lightly caramel malt, likewise, dominates the flavor, though it also features a moderate bitterness that keeps it from being sweet. The body is a tad thin perhaps.

Pretty generic amber beer, like you'd get at a generic brewpub, or any generic late 80s or early nineties micro. Just... generic.

03-27-2009 03:58:22 | More by allengarvin
BoitSansSoif

France

3.68/5  rDev +18.7%

A-Clear amber w/great retention and off-white frothy head.

S-Not a lot on the aroma. Toasted malt dominates, and their are faint hops; the nose is clean and pure and appealing, but uninteresting.

T-Toasty malt dominates, and light grapefruit/citrus hops cleanse the palate. Not complex or pretentious, just good, clean beer.

M-Light-bodied w/stronger carbonation and great balance.

D-Easy to drink, this brew is not complex, but it has a pure, clean taste. Beer advocates might not be blown away, but this might be a good "gateway beer" for macro fans. I had this on tap for free at the Old Fashioned in Madison, WI. Damn shame how few people I saw leaving tips.

03-27-2009 00:49:07 | More by BoitSansSoif
BeerFMAndy

2.85/5  rDev -8.1%

A - One of the best amber beers I've ever seen. The color completely knocked my socks off. I was then disappointed in the poor head retention of the, at first, large fluffy head.

S - Almost no scent to me. What happened? I need to revisit to re-smell.

T - Intense hoppy flavors abound. Good blend of hops. Not a flavor I like, but one I can appreciate.

M - Very dry finish. Not something I like so much.

D - Easy drinking but the flavor would get old very quickly to me.

03-26-2009 01:38:50 | More by BeerFMAndy
uwmgdman

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

This new brew pours a light copper color with a quickly diminishing thin white head. The aroma is mainly malty, some grainy and bready character, along with a hint of roast and a hint of hops. The flavor is moderately malty with a hint of roast at the swallow. Hop bitterness and carbonation balance the beer from being sweet. The body is a bit thin and mouthfeel is a bit prickly from the carbonation. Overall not a bad beer, worth a shot, on the better end of their offerings.

03-21-2009 20:02:15 | More by uwmgdman
RievyRW

3.78/5  rDev +21.9%

It was previously mentioned, but according the label on the bottle it is a lager, not an ale as listed, and was reviewed as such.

Source: 12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: A little on the yellow side of what I think an 'amber' beer should look like, but I won't complain.

Smell: A faint barley grainy smell.

Taste: Some grain/malt flavor with a very little hoppy flavor mixed in.

Drinkability: Like pretty much all the Leinie products, very drinkable. Not going to stand out in a crowd, but better than the macros that cost the same in the stores (one nice thing about living 10min. from their brewery and probably adds some bias to my review) so I'd be more than happy to drink it all night long.

03-19-2009 01:41:34 | More by RievyRW
gmfessen

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is barely "amber", it's more like golden with copper highlights. Perfectly clear, there is a pillowy white head that leaves bits of lacing around the glass. The smell is very underwhelming; sweet amber malt is about all I get out of it, maybe just a hint of hops. The flavor is similar - underwhelming. There is a sweet amber malt presence with a slight mingling of toasted victory grain and hops just to balance. The finish is slightly bitter but no real hop presence. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with an almost chewy carbonation. Overall, not an impressive beer but not bad either. I would definitely have this over most macros but it would lose in the face of any other decent micro.

03-18-2009 01:11:24 | More by gmfessen
BierFan

2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

BA got the style of this beer messed up. BA lists it as an amber ale but it says right on the neck of the bottle that it's a lager.

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 ounce bottle.

Small to nil off-white head. Clear light amber with decent carbonation. Little bit of hop bitterness on the finish. It may not have any adjuncts in it, but everything about the smell and taste is very "macro-ish". Will not buy again. Will not suggest to others.

03-17-2009 01:25:41 | More by BierFan
supercolter

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Meh, this brewing company doesn't excite me too much. I just don't get it.
Appearance is bland. Red in color but a little lighter than expected. Very little head and no notable lacing. Smell and taste is ok, very similar to their fireside- but a bit sweeter and an odd metallicy taste. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, some carbonation. Drinkability is decent.

03-16-2009 03:01:20 | More by supercolter
thebeerdoctor

3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this yesterday and found this dark golden our to be a passable drinkable, bottom fermented beer. The term "classic" is often used without reason. In this case, I guess it refers to the fact that is an all malt lager, well so is "classic' Michelob.
There is a bit of a nut flavor note in the finish. I agree with others here. There is too much packaged over pricing on this one. If this were a few dollars cheaper, it would be worth picking up, now and then.

03-15-2009 15:16:03 | More by thebeerdoctor
BeerMark

Alabama

3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

Purchased at Bruno's at the Summit in Birmingham. Nice amber color to this one with a slight off-white head. Smells malty with very little hops coming through. The taste is exactly the same. While malty and decently flavored, there are not many hops present at all. I would not be quite as harsh in my review if the label hadn't proclaimed 4 kind of hops inside. I just can't find them. On a brighter note, this beer is drinkable and sessionable. Still better than most big macro brews.

03-15-2009 06:31:37 | More by BeerMark
tmoneyba

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottle from Party Source.

Poured clear dark amber color with medium frothy white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Medium malt and hop aroma. Light to medium body with a thin texture and soft carbonation. Medium balanced flavor with a medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

Drinkable average brew

03-14-2009 20:03:18 | More by tmoneyba
Bloodfury

3.13/5  rDev +1%

I'm not going to detail every aspect of this new "flavor" of Leinies. It's been reported that this beer is being "slotted" (by Leinies) as competition against Sam Adams on the national scale. I found it to be very 'generic' for a "micro" or "niche" brew. Flavor's OK, nothing outstanding. Drinkable. To me though, it's just "beer", nothing that justifies the price point it's being marketed at. I'm willing to pay a premium for some of their specialties (Oktoberfest, Creamy Dark), but IMO, this isn't "special", and shouldn't be priced as such.

03-12-2009 16:45:19 | More by Bloodfury
Mistofminn

3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

My buddy came over tonight bearing gifts. One of them was a free bottle of Classic Amber, Leinenkugel's newest year-round beer. I gladly accepted the free bottle.

Pours a dark golden color, more orange than amber. Produces a foamy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.

Aroma was pretty heavy on caramel malts. Taste was much the same, emphasis on the caramel. There is a slight hop taste as well.

Very crisp and clean. Rather refreshing. I would have to say this is more of a "fall" beer for me, instead of early spring, and the orange, fall-like label only supports my theory. It's very drinkable, like most of Leinenkugel's offerings, but it's just not very impressive.

Typical Leinenkugel's beer. Good, but not great. This is a beer a typical BMC drinker could pick up, and not be scared out of their shoes.

Also, this is categorized wrong. It's a lager, not an ale, and I graded it as such.

03-08-2009 07:12:45 | More by Mistofminn
zeff80

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev +12.3%

A - Didn't really look like an amber ale. Poured out a clear, golden-orange color with a small, white, foamy head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of grains and caramel malt. Not much else.

T - It tasted of caramel malt, nice and sweet. It had a very faint hop bite.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is by no means the best amber ale around, but it is very easy-drinking and sessionable.

03-08-2009 01:47:07 | More by zeff80
Redrover

3.6/5  rDev +16.1%

12 oz brown bottle with cool raised letters on the glass & an attractive label. Now if they would freshness date them..

Pored into my SA pint glass, the beer is a dark gold with copper highlights. It has a large initial beige head that reduces to a skim.

The aroma is of fresh bread, grains, a hint of fruit and a bit of hops (citrus).

The taste is well balanced. It is slightly sweet and grainy with a touch of bitterness in the finish. Not a world changer, but glad to see this solid of an offering and I hope it finds an accepting audience amongst the BMC set.

The mouth is pleasant with active carbonation.

This is an easy drinker and would be a good crossover beer for just about anyone. Its not geeky, but is well made with no obvious flaws or shortcomings.

03-08-2009 01:41:11 | More by Redrover
katan

Colorado

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Medium to dark golden brown colored. Clear and filtered. Head formation is very light and white in color. Not much retention, as it goes down to just a light film.

S - Nothing much here to speak of. I "think" there are some yeast notes latent in there, but not much else.

T - Starts off with the only malt notes that you can get, which are quickly overcome by a hard hitting yeast note. Tart and spicy. Finishes with a harsh grainy astringency.

M - Moderate to thin body for the style. Carbonation buoys the mouthfeel just a little, but overall its somewhat weak.

D - Easy to drink, ABV is manageable and the flavors are light. Carbonation is a downside here as I feel it becoming very filling and bothersome to the mouth.

03-07-2009 04:38:06 | More by katan
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.13/5  rDev +1%

Pours a pale crystal clear amber with a large off white head bubbles form quickly and collar of lace is left in thin uneven formations. Aromatics offer up a mildly sweet light toasted malt character with just a kiss of citrus hops. Flavor is quite disappointing same Leinenkugel generic "craft" brew flavor. Some sweet malts divide with a touch of herbal and citrus hops, 100 percent malt with actual hop character let's kick this up a few notches and do away with the Leine yeast strain. Defnitely unoffensive in every way, body is extremely light and somewhat fizzy but not cloyingly so. Goes down smooth pretty effortlessly, it just hits as more of the same.

03-07-2009 01:13:41 | More by WVbeergeek
spacholl

3.98/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured out with 1/4 of head that disapeared fast. Nice reddish amber color. People will notice your not drinking a light beer.

Smelled of sweet roasted grains.Hops.

Lightly toasted bread. Tasted of hops on the back.

Medium body. Light carbonation.

Very drinkable. A sesson beer.

I think this is a winner from leinenkugel's

03-06-2009 23:19:27 | More by spacholl
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.05/5  rDev +30.6%

I got this bottle as a freebie from Mike at Poplar Wine & Spirits.

This pours a very bright and clear amber gold with a 1 finger head of foam. Nice looker.

The smell has a nice hop/malt balanced nose to it giving me both sweetish snd bitterish tones. I like the nose but I wish it was a bit more assertive.

The taste has a pretty big kick of caramel malt sweetness up front, with some earthy tones, and then some nice hoppy notes move in....yeah, I just read the label and they have 4 different varieties in here and you know what? It *works* for me. I think I just found a new good session beer! And...I'm not usually a big fan of Amber Ales excepting some of the big boys of the style.

The mouthfeel is medium as is the carbonation.

Drinkability? Damn good. Easy drinking and tasty to my palate, I'll be buying 6 packs of this stuff!

Btw, head retention was above average and there's *some* lacing.

03-06-2009 22:08:31 | More by Bitterbill
wheatyweiss

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a nonic.

Pours a light honey color with a small head that quickly dissipates and leaves no spotting.

Aroma is of light malt and honey. Sweet malt and that's about it.

Flavor is two row malts that are abused in the roasting process, which isn't a bad thing trust me, but these bad boys have been KILLED and CREMATED. Hop flavor is non-existent and the SUPER ROASTED flavor I get is from the malt that is more like a nut brown malt than an amber. Burned popcorn is the majority of the taste.

Mouthfeel is light to medium and adequately carbonated.

Wow, not very impressed after the local hype on this one.

02-28-2009 01:41:57 | More by wheatyweiss