1888 Bock - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

1888 Bock1888 Bock

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Bock |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 12-12-2008)

mike727, Feb 03, 2012

Sammythebull19, Aug 07, 2014

Yourneighborsdog, Dec 13, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +51.2%

I'll admit to a subjective bias on this one.

I remember this beer from my youth in Minnesota, when bock beer was only available during Lent, and Leinenkugel sold its bock only in returnable bottles and the usual cardboard cases carried a stapled-on yellow "BOCK" tag on the end of the case. When Leinie's sold the distribution rights to Miller, the spring tradition went by the way, and Leinie's only bock offering was a year-round, far-too-cutely-named Big Butt Doppelbock that tasted like what it was: a focus-grouped brewer's ode to blandness.

I had been overseas with the government for a number of years, and I was delighted this spring to discover that Leinie's had gone back to its traditional practice and traditional recipe. And they aren't kidding: the 1888 Bock is the same beer I drank when I was a kid. I remember the solid body, deep-red color, and well-rounded caramel flavor (is that a hint of smoke?) with not much hop bitterness, all appropriate to the style. The story I heard years ago was that bock was what the old German brewers in Minnesota and Wisconsin made once a year when they were scraping out the burned malt from their roasting kettles, and Leinie's Bock tasted like it. In the Minnesota of my parents' youth, this was the beer they let kids drink, owing to it's smooth drinkability.

Aroma and taste are a strong memory trigger, and it's hard to fake--this is the stuff I drank as a teen in the 70s. That was a grim era for beer lovers, and the Jacob Leinenkugel folks kept the torch alive, even if they sold out just when the craft brewing movement redeemed their efforts.

I give this one a high rating a) because I really like it and b) because it's an accurate taste representation of an old recipe. This is a good beer to know.

PapaGemutlich, Apr 06, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +45.7%

CaeserTits, Mar 26, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +45.7%

griffinxi, Sep 14, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +38%

WhatAlesMe, Mar 24, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +33.4%

This one was a real surprise for me. I like Leinenkugel, but I dont expect much from them.

Pours out a very silky dark copper color, clear but dark. Smells of caramel and malts. Low hop bitters in the back end. A nice smooth feel, and a supremely drinkable. After my first 6pack I went right back to the bottle store for 2 more.

The biggest surprise is that my GF likes it, Maybe I've found a starting point for getting her into beer.

Fatduck, Dec 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

This beer pours a deep murky brown with a nice creamy off white head.

Nose is rich on the bready dark malts. The taste is very slick and straightforward. Caramel bready malts upfront. There is a good amount of hops in here. Making this beer a little spicy and more balanced out. Finish is amazingly bready, just like eating a loaf.

This guy sure likes dark lagers and this one did the job for me. Clean malty easy to drink and very satisfying.

cooch69, Feb 22, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +32.8%

12oz bottle from local Hannaford. Pours a dark copper body with a short-lived inch of off-white head. Caramel, toffee, chocolate, and floral hops all characterize the aroma. Tastes like chocolate, coffee, toffee, caramel, with some grassy and floral hops, in almost equal parts. On the lighter side of medium-bodied with ample carbonation, making this an easy drinker. A solid beer, not what I think of when I think of bock, but mighty tasty and I'll probably be picking this one up again.

MrHurmateeowish, Jan 17, 2009

cheapswiller, Mar 31, 2012

nlriehl87, Feb 17, 2012

spikechiquet, Dec 22, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz brown bottle. Had this at my friends apartment during a holiday celebration for me and my friends in the building.

Pours a dark brown color with an off-white head with decent lacing. Aroma is of roasted malts and caramel. Taste is what you would expect from the smell, very similar, along with a grain taste. Very drinkable.

I haven't had many bock's, but the few that I have, have left a good impression on me. This didn't disappoint, and I will definitely buy it in the future. I am beginning to become a huge fan of winter seasonal's.

Mistofminn, Dec 28, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +29.4%

poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: A dark deep red, like a black cherry. Head is a nice thin, off white that sticks around for awhile, the lacing is good as well.

S: Not much sticks, out a lil roasted flavor, and hops, mostly clean.

T: Nice, nothing overpowering, some toasted malts, and hop bitterness on the end. Satisfying, while not overtly complex.

M: A little thin, but soft, pleasant.

D: Very good, something to be tried.

Lacesoutcody, May 11, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +25.2%

the appearance is nice and ruby dark color much like a bock

the smell of the beer is very well set up not average for a bock.

the taste is smooth and a nice mouth feel that leaves you wanting more

the drinkability of the beer is nice for a cold winter day or a late night to wind down after a days worth of drinking.

Adam2200, Jan 25, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +25.2%

Bought a six pack at the local liquor store. Poured into a regular beer glass
A-Brownish red. Not much head
S-Malts. Caramel. Some nuttiness
T-Good. An easy going beer. Malty and nutty.
M-Light to medium.
D-Very good. Not a lot of alcohol and good mouthfeel make this a very drinkable beer.

tim28, Mar 17, 2010

gphillips5300, Dec 11, 2011

mpalestino, Aug 05, 2013

Goldfoot, Dec 16, 2011

A-Garnet-brown color, clear, with a thick head that fades fast, leaving some lacing on the glass. It's a very appealing look.

S-Malty aroma with a enough caramel to make me wonder if it could be "sticky." Clean, as in no fruity esters.

T-Malty and moderately sweet, but not as caramelly as the initial smell lead me to believe. A slight roastiness and just enough bitterness keeps it from being one-dimensional.

M-Slightly thick, in a pleasant way.

D-Quite drinkable, on it's own, with a meal, or as a not-too-decadent dessert.

pweis909, Jan 31, 2009