1888 Bock - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

Bock |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 12-12-2008

3.88/5  rDev +19%

12oz. bottle into a siedel. no bottled date.

(A)- Pours a clear brown color that produced a good eggshell colored head that clung to the glass in certain areas.

(S)- Nutty, with bits of raisins & molasses. A touch of vanilla.

(T)- Plenty of toasted almond-like nuttiness with a bit of raisin-like vanilla creaminess. Lightly sweet & molasses.

(M)- A good carbonation level & balance. Nice toasted-like flavors with a good sweetness for the style that isnt in your face strong.

(D)- A good Bock that is just as good as I remember it from last year when it was first bottled. What I like about it is that its a great sessionable beer that I usually dont find that often in the bock style. I could definitely have a few of these. Not overly sweet which I like.

3.18/5  rDev -2.5%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was coke colored and had a nice big tan head. The lacing was also really goo giving me hope. The smell was caramel and clean and fresh. However I thought the beer was pretty bland and tasteless. I will not buy again.

2.53/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Dark, ruby. Good bock color. Nice 1 finger head. Light shines through quite easily.

S: Can someone tell me the aroma that I encounter in every Leiny? Is it corn? This "bock" struggles to have a malt presence. Smells a bit too adjunct like all of the Leiny's I've come across. Smells like macro beer I suppose.

T: Just tastes fake. Think this was the straw that broke the camels back for the Leinenkugel family for me. Not even close to a good bock. Tastes like corn and corn syrup.

M: Thin, mildly carbonated. Not nice.

D: I suppose you could have one or two of these (although I struggle to have one). Just a mess of ingredients.

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another one from Leine that I was able to try today. I had been neglecting them so I decided a mixed sixer would work the best and this was the last of it. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 02/13/2010.

The pour was pretty damn good I have to admit, nice hazelnut brown in color with a smooth, even head of white that reached a height of around two fingers deep before fading off into some nice side lacing. It backed off just a little bit but still left a decent amount of lacing along the top. Aroma was rich roasted nuts, hints of bready malts, touches of barley and a nice, but light earthy bittering hop profile. Really well done I have to admit. Smooth and creamy body led to a really nice feel here, well carbonated and easy to drink, I had no trouble at all with enjoying this one. As each rich creamy sip passed over the palate it seemed to get fuller and fuller, roasted nuts, bready tones and a nice chewy, earthy quality all seemed to work quite nicely.

Overall a very solid little bock here, I have to admit I was not expecting it to be as good as it was and I was quite surprised by this. Nice job.

3.51/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer is growing on me. I really can't stand Leiny's but I bought a sixer of this because I was craving a cheap bock and I didn't feel like buying the Dundee 12-pack for two bocks. By the third one of these I'm really starting to get some good bock character out of it. Pours a very dark amber with a thick, tan bubbly head. Minimal lacing. Subtle malt smell. Slight caramelly malt taste without being obtrusive. Nice largish body for a beer of this wee caliber. Bocks are pretty much my favorite lager style beer and this holds up pretty well. We really need more bock selection from some other micro-brews!

2.47/5  rDev -24.2%

Clear, dark brown, little head and a faint lace and no carb bubbles. Smelled strong, burnt grain, almost a stout. Mouth had an watery, slightly sticky wash with a bit of bitter and odd, "old prune" aftertaste?

Okay, so what does it taste like? Sour grains, burnt a bit, with a bitter outer range. My main impression is prune. That's it. Unimpressive.

Well, I don't really like Leiny's stuff much. I've had a few that are good, most fall in the average category for me. Better than BMC but still, towards the bottom of the step off beers.

3.6/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Presentation: 12oz bottle into a Pilsener glass. Thanks to my eldest brother for dropping this (and the glass) off for me.

A- Deep reddish copper and clear. ~1 fingers of tan head. Head fairly quickly into a thin, incomplete cap. Minimal lacing

S- Light aroma of toasted malts. Hints of sweetness.

T- Subdued roasty and slightly nutty flavors mix with a light caramel sweetness.

M- Moderate carbonation. Fairly light feeling, and a bit thin.

D- Decent. Nothing terribly impressive or outstanding about this beer, but nothing off-putting either. Easy drinker that could be sessioned.

Future outlook: Unspectacular yet decent easy drinker. I won't make an effort to get this again, but won't be upset to be given another.

2.32/5  rDev -28.8%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

a: wow. surprisingly good look to this...could be this be the first decent Leinenkugel brew? thick tow finger head that simmers into a thin lacing. great dark brown color.

s: barely any aroma. faint hints of grainy malts. nothing special.

t: oh no...thin, watery malt flavor. dammit leinenkugel! you've let me down again! strange grainy bitterness up front, a very faint taste of caramel and bready malts in the finish. not very pleasant of a flavor. at all.

m&d: over-carbonated mouthfeel. drinkability is terrible, because of the aforementioned reasons.

ugh! when the hell is this brewery going to put something out worth drinking? i can't believe these guys have been around for this long, putting out these kind of mediocre brews.

it's like they cant decide if they want to be sam adams or budweiser, so they try doing both....and fail miserably.

2.54/5  rDev -22.1%

As with most other Leinhenkugel beers, 1888 Bock takes some shortcuts that cheapens the style.

A standard Bock-brown with mohogany highlights, good clarity, and a lot of carbonation. Off white head shows fizziness at first but soon settles into a froathy blanket that covers the beer and laces well. Aside from the carbonation, the beer has a handsome appearance.

The character of the beer is a one-dimentional malt flavor and aroma. Wet grain flavors play a major role in the complexity where a malty melanoidin-rich flavor should take precedence. Grain astringency gives an awkward bite and hurts the smoothness of the beer. Light caramel and toast try to make the beer Bock worthy but is more of a tangent than a benefit.

Thin, harsh, and astringent- the mouthfeel is where the beer suffers the most. Michelob Amber Bock passes for a better Bock than this. Not a good showing at all.

3.98/5  rDev +22.1%

Pick this up at food lion just to give it a try. A nice surprise. This is pretty good. Pours a nice medium brown with a nice head. Really not much in smell. Taste has hints of nut in it. Feel nice in the mouth and this is very drinkable. This is not a bad beer to pick up at food lion.

3.59/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance - Clear, bubbly red with a cream-colored head.

Smell - Caramel malt, alcohol, and hay.

Taste - Sweet and malty. There's a little bit of bitterness and walnut in the middle, and a lot of caramel throughout. The finish is long and sweet.

Mouthfeel - Medium thickness and high carbonation. Pretty crisp.

Notes - This is actually a pretty decent beer. A little low in alcohol for the style, and more carbonated than I prefer, but otherwise not bad. Kind of reminds me of Shiner Bock, though a bit more complex. It seems like the kind of beer that might be much improved on tap. Another good intro-to-craft beer.

3.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Poured a mahogany color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a sweet malty nose

T - Follows the nose sweet malt with a touch or caramel

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - For what it is its really not a bad beer it has a pretty good taste thats easy to drink for an easy to get beer its worth a shot

2.9/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

a lighter than expected bock. brown opaque color. light carbonation. light lacing. decent taste but a bit weak for me there too. this would go well with food for it would not overpower the food nor fill you up too much. worth a try but there are better bocks out there.

suckem up and movem out

giblet

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Dark brown color with poor head.
S - OK but nothing exciting.
T - Not bad but I'm not sure it is their best effort.
M - Light - what I expect from their beer.
D - Definitely something I won't mind having but I might go back to getting their Creamy Dark when I'm in the mood for a Leinenkugel.

3.82/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Poured into a snifter... a weak fizzy head erupts and disappears quickly leaving no lacing. Beer is ruby/brown with little activity

S- Smells of malt, bread, coffee

T- Ill be honest, much better than I expected. Has a nice caramel malt taste with a crisp finish

M- Medium/full bodied with light/medium carbonation

D- I think I could put a few of these down. Definitely better stuff out there, but the best Leines I've had so far

CHEERS!!

2.64/5  rDev -19%

What a weird name for a beer company. The beer pours a weak head (pinky width) which dissapates quickly into a thin lingering foam like a cheap Bud.
The smell isn't bad, not inviting either. The taste is ok but not impressive by far. The color is a deep brown, oak cask color.
I probably won't be purchasing this one again.

3.72/5  rDev +14.1%

I wanted to try this for a while but had so many other beers to try it never ended up in my six pack until now.

A - Not as dark as I expected for a bock. Head was pretty decent though.
S - Very slight malt smell. Nothing to get excited about.
T - Slight malt with a porterish bitter taste. OK I guess.
M - Light and crisp. Always good for a Lennie.
D - One of my favorites from the brew but Berry weiss will always be my first.

Overall if this was stocked in PA at a decent price per six pack it may sit in my fridge but eventually get downed in one sitting.

3.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into pint glass.

I was in my local 6-pack shop looking for randoms to pick up when I saw this: Leinenkugel's 1888 Bock. I'm a fan of Leinenkugel Brewery (Jacob Leinenkugel Brewery to be exact). Based out of Chippewa Falls, WI, the only beers of theirs that I'm either opposed to drinking or haven't thought were that great were Berry Weiss & Classic Amber. Berry Weiss is close to wine in sweetness/intensity, and Classic Amber is earthy and unflattering. But try them both and decide for yourself.

Today was the first day I've ever seen 1888 Bock. The beer is dark brown, maybe mahogany. Lacing does not exist in this beer's world. As you can see in the picture, a healthy head establishes itself at first, but it turns out only to be a card carrying bluff. There is a rim of foam after a few minutes, but it's quality is similar to that of a settling soda.

The smell emits sweet malts, a little alcohol, and an oak barrel. The taste is about the same, with sweet malts coming out the most, but balanced with an alcohol bite. I would assume the bite is also derived from hops, but I can't really distinguish hops from alcohol in this beer. Bitterness is present, but nothing overwhelming. If you like bocks you shouldn't be disappointed or taken aback. It goes down nicely without a fuss, and the body is a standard medium.

I'm happy to say that this is another Leinenkugel brew that I approve of.

Side Note: I bought this beer for 98 cents. It had acquired the cardboard box dust around the shoulders of the bottle, a condition that always makes me question whether my purchase will be satisfying or just plain disappointing. I'd have to say that although this one example doesn't prove anything 100%, dust on the bottle doesn't necessarily mean the beer has been sitting around too long for it to be consumed.

2.93/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a nice solid brown, darker than most brown ales. Finger+ of creme colored head. when backlit it turns to a radiant strawberry red.

Smells roasty and malty, here goes.

Taste is underwhelming. Everything is there, but there isn't enough of it. Malt is weak, which is disappointing for a bock -- especially one so dark. Can barely taste the hops, everything seems a little watery.

Way too fizzy. Carbonation is even worse out of the bottle.

Overall, it's not terrible, but it certainly is a little disappointing. Especially when I just had Sam Adams Winter Lager.

3.49/5  rDev +7.1%

12oz bottle

App: Small off white head that very quickly dies. A beautiful medium brown that is just too dark to be transparent.

Smell: Lots of great roasted malt. Solid aromas of coffee and some caramel. Herbal hops make themselves known, but are subtle.

Taste: A rather uniform taste of dark caramel/coffee. Ends with a wonderful marriage between husky malt, coffee roast, and herbal bitterness.

Crisp bock carbonation that I love, but the body is a bit thin and detracts.

3.78/5  rDev +16%

Pours to a brown color with a little bit of red when held up to the light. It has a rather sweet aroma. It doesn't really taste like beer to me. No alcohol flavor, a medium mouthfeel. Flavors are a bit sweet. The best thing is that there is no aftertaste. Enjoyable.

3.06/5  rDev -6.1%

Medium brown color with no haze, lots of red-orange highlights. Tops has some good stick and leaves a decent lace even on a shaker pint. The nose is noticeably chocolatey for the style, along with other brown ale notes. A hint of Munich malt keeps it in line with a bock. Not much going on in the nose in terms of power.

The beer is more than a little watery. The malts are barely present, weighing in with hints toward caramel, chocolate, hazelnut, etc. That, combined with a fizzy, light body makes me feel sad that I drank it. 1888 looks the look but doesn't walk the walk.

2.68/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in a pilsner glass.

Aroma: Moderate lightly toasted malt aroma.

Appearance: Brown with ruby highlights in the background. Tall (four finger or so), tan head that dissipates slowly with some trail. Clear with many tiny bubbles.

Flavor: Some toasted malty flavor (not overwhelming). Light hop bitterness with slight astringency at the finish. Flat flavor overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body (if that) with pretty low carbonation. The opposite of creamy (whatever that is).

Overall Impressions: Low alcohol for style (6.3-7.2%). Really blah overall and I wouldn't bother with it again (even though this one was a freebie). Not their best beer.

3.88/5  rDev +19%

Has a freshness code of 06019 E20728, guessing that means it was best by June of this year. Pours a deep reddish-brown color with pretty good clarity and a nice, dense tan head. Some lacing, but not an abundance.

Smell has the requisite sweet caramel maltiness, if a bit light. There are some fruit notes in there in the form of raisins and even watermelon. Hints of cinnamon and cocoa round out the nose here.

While it's not exactly bursting with flavor, 1888 bock has some good things going for it. Caramel sweet and toasty malts strike a nice balance with just a touch of hop bitterness on the finish. Fine bubbled carbonation lends a nice creamy texture to the beer. I rather like this Leinenkugel's offering and is probably the best one I have had yet.

3.22/5  rDev -1.2%

A- Pours a coffee brown color with a thin tan head that disappates quickly. nothing specatcular going on.
S- smells of malt, a little bit of nut, and a large amount of sweetness. a tiny bit of metallicness and some hop.
T- Starts off a little nutty and the malty. pretty run of the mill. a little bit of bitter hops in there but generally the sweetness is carrying the flavor.
M- A little bit slick and kinda fizzy but too watery for the style.
D- Not terrible, I wouldn't mind another. But all in all i'm pretty neutral. not a terrible bock, but nothing outstanding. I do not regret the 6 pack purchase but it wont be a re-buy.

1888 Bock from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company