Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.10% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: garymuchow on 08-30-2002)
gmfessen

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a golden-copper color with a dense, one-finger, creamy looking head. The smell is malty as one might expect from the style, amber and slightly toasted grains are present. Not a whole lot more discernable about it for me. The taste is reflective of the nose; a solid amber malty backbone with hopping to balance but no hop presence, finishes slightly bitter. The mouthfeel isn't quite as dense as I would expect from the style, a light-medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is not bad, but not outstanding either. Same with the beer overall, not bad but very underwhelming.

09-15-2008 23:30:51 | More by gmfessen
wheelinshirt

2.17/5  rDev -31.1%

12 oz bottle out of a six pack from Blue Dog in Lansdale. From what I understand, the six pack was on a table by the window. Not sure how much light these babies had to withstand. Poured into a pint glass.

Deep amber color, decent size head, no lacing, somewhat poor retention. After about 15 minutes all trace of foam and bubbles is gone.

Smell is slightly grainy and earthy, not bad but underwhelming.

Taste is also pretty weak. Some malt sweetness but not much else that i can detect. Finishes kind of like water.

Mouthfeel is fairly watery. Carbonation seems about right, though.

I guess you could call this drinkable in that it isn't offensive or challenging to drink, but I don't think that is really in the keeping of the spirit of BA. If this wasn't in the fridge, I wouldn't have another. Not good and not worth paying craft prices when you could get innumerable Oktoberfest beers that are much better.

09-15-2008 23:27:32 | More by wheelinshirt
marcpal

3.38/5  rDev +7.3%

12oz bottle from my October sample pack of fest beers. After reading reviews, I wasnt eager to try this one but have to disagree with most- not bad at all.

A: Dark orange, nearly brown. Simply put, a little dark for a marzen. Colors of autumn. Big bubbles on this one, some lacing and off white khaki head.

S: Caramel, bready and ample sweetness. Mild sweetness, something of butter that is a bit offputting? Not the strength of this beer.

T: Malty like the smell with a drop of hops added in. Bready, search for the alcohol and you find it behind the caramel. Sweetness far more apparent as it warms. The weird butter and butterscotch aroma does not carry over to the taste which Im happy about.

M: Light enough for an octoberfest. Pretty darn smooth and carries some taste well.

D: For the most part, a good beer to drink. The taste is better than the nose and good character carried through. Has its faults but in the long run, Im a pretty big fan of this one. Nice little surprise. Surely not great, but not awful as many others seem to feel.

09-13-2008 21:17:50 | More by marcpal
cjgator3

2.7/5  rDev -14.3%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a copper color with a thin fizzy off-white head.

S- The aroma is on the malty side like a good Oktoberfest should be, but it smells more like a cheap macro lager than a high quality Oktoberfest.

T- The taste features some toasted malts and low hop bitterness. Not bad, but pretty average for the style.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Not bad, but there are many Oktoberfests that I prefer. Don't know if I will purchase this one again.

09-13-2008 19:34:12 | More by cjgator3
larsee01

2.88/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A-Clear, autumn-reddish pour with modest head and lots of carbonation.

S--Pleasant, but nothing to write home about. Balanced hops and sugary malt.

T--Starts clean and uninspiring, but some flavor emerges gradually. Bready, mildly malty. Some barely detectable coffee darkness and hop bitter follows. Rather simple

M--starts clean, but a bit soapy-feeling.

D--Sure.

09-13-2008 02:25:07 | More by larsee01
pphunkdelux

2.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Thankfully this was not my first Oktberfest of the season. I was not impressed at all. I've been horribly broke as of late and have been drinking nothing but Hamm's and Pabst. When a friend brought along a sixer of Sam Adams Oktoberfest to a camping trip this weekend, I decided it was time for drastic measures. I went (relatively) hungry for two days so that i could afford to pick myself up some "good" beer.

The appearnce was average, it has the right color but it lacks in head.

I had to practically stick my nose in the beer before I could smell it. Once I did smell it I was left thinking "that's it?" I don't think my nose is clogged but I swear I've had MGD's that had more smell than this.

The taste was watered down. The underlying aftertaste of an Okterberfest is there, and I was pleased about that, but I could have used a bit more up front. It just didn't give me that "ahhh, this is why I love September" kind of taste.

The mouthfeel was weak and over-carbonated.

I give drinkability a 4 because I've been drinking nothing but cheap beers for the past two months. Right now I would have no problem drinking these until I was falling over.

Overall I'm not impressed one bit. This could have been a better beer. Being that I'm from the great land of Wisconsin I always give my local beers a fighting chance, this one unfortunately never should have happened. Lately Leinenkugels has been hit or miss with me. Hit with Creamy Dark, miss with Summer Shandy. Hit with Red, miss with Sunset Wheat. Hit with Honey Weiss, miss with Oktoberfest. Can't win 'em all.

09-12-2008 00:35:04 | More by pphunkdelux
vicg12

2.4/5  rDev -23.8%

Not a good Octoberfest beer. It was the correct color but thats about it. The taste was way off, I would not even call it an Octoberfest. I am not sure what to think about Leinenkugel with all their weird beers but this one def. did not help. Don't even bother trying this one, just stay away.

09-10-2008 15:53:37 | More by vicg12
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a pint glass. No freshness date found on bottle. Head fizzed down quickly with very little lacing. The color was an autumn orange. I thought this beer had a little citrus flavor to it, but that could just be me. It is pretty malty as well. Has a creamy, yet crisp feel to it. This beer is nothing to impressive, but at the cost of it, I really couldn't resist giving it a shot.

Overall, the price is low and the flavor is decent. If you find it on sale, it is worth it to pick some up.

09-10-2008 03:50:23 | More by mothman
krukster

3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from bottle

A: Medium amber color with some lacing

S: Grainy and hints of caramel. Also could make out a slight bread-like aroma. Nothing overwhelming

T: Slighly malty and the slightest hint of hops. Could also taste a minimal caramel presence. Tatse was ok.

D: Drank like a below average marzen lager. Wasn't awful, but nothing stood out. You could down a few in a sitting, but don't think I would go out of my way for this Octoberfest again.

09-09-2008 21:23:40 | More by krukster
Pauly2X

3.33/5  rDev +5.7%

A- Very light amber, fizzy half finger head.

S- Assertive toasted malt aroma.

T- Mild caramel liek malt sweetness lending way almost imediately to more of a toasted malt profile. Noble hops join this toasty flavor and ride off into the finish.

M- A little light, more carbonated than most.

D- A little too toasty to just throwback.

This would be a really good oktoberfest if there was a little more caramel sweetness to round out the malt profile.

09-09-2008 00:35:19 | More by Pauly2X
dsa7783

3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Single, twelve-ounce bottle purchased from Gary's in Madison...
Appearance: Dark-copper, tawny, ruddy hue with a minimal head, rising carbonation, and minor lacing...
Smell: Subtle, malty, caramel-laden aroma...
Taste: Crisp, refreshing, medium-bodied flavor with nuances of bread, butter, a tinge of vanilla, and slight caramel... Thick on the malts with hints of biscuits...
Overall, not a bad American attempt at a classic German style...
Nothing above and beyond...

09-08-2008 23:08:48 | More by dsa7783
elniko

2.93/5  rDev -7%

Poured from bottle in pint glass.

A: Typical marzen coloring, half finger of head that dissipated quickly. High carbonation apparent. Solid looking brew.

S: Alcohol on nose, I get an almost tea like scent as well. Average at best.

T & M: Not much there to be honest, the main thing I noticed with the taste was the finish which was bitter and slightly astringent. Still had tea like tones which I have not picked up in other marzens either.

D: Definitely on the wrong side of my favorite Oktoberfest list. Don't thing I'll be having this one again.

09-08-2008 20:35:48 | More by elniko
KI9A

A: Bottle pour into tulip glass. Copper color, fast fading head.

S: Fruity hops, roasted malt.

T: Seems "dumbed down". Hints of hops and malts trying to bust out. Finishes with slight bitterness.

M/D: Clean mouthfeel, maybe too much carbonation..much like a macro-lager. Reminds me of a "beginners" Marzen. Easy to drink a bunch of these, but, not what I'm looking for in a O-fest/Marz beer.

Not a real good effort, but, keep trying!

09-07-2008 23:47:02 | More by KI9A
Greggy

3.58/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Copper orange color. Small head recedes quickly. No lacing.

S- baked Pumpkin seed, caramel, fresh bakers flour. Malty, but the baked pumpkin seed is the main component for me.

T-Caramel, Raisin, pumpkin seed, dry finish.

M- Low Carb, decent finish.

D- Decent, but probably wouldn't have again.

09-06-2008 03:19:33 | More by Greggy
Bitterbill

Wyoming

3.18/5  rDev +1%

This just showed up today in Casper.

A clear sparkling orange amber colour with a small head of foam that shrinks quickly to some spotting and a ring around the glass. Some lacing.

The smell light notes of caramel and grain and a rather strong metallic nose. This doesn't bode too well unless the taste kicks in with some good flavour.

The taste has notes of caramel, bread, a bit of fruitiness, and a touch of lemon hop bitterness and I do mean just a touch, but I wasn't really looking for any so it's cool. Ok, the finish gets a little bitter and in not that good a way so this one is not doing much for me in my current search for Oktoberfests.

The mouthfeel is light but slick on the tongue and the carbonation is mediumish.

Well, first of the style to show up in town and actually, the first time the Leinie's has shown up here and..I don't find it to be a well rounded brew...no symphany of flavours here. Too bad. ;^(

09-05-2008 23:50:17 | More by Bitterbill
Hibernator

3.33/5  rDev +5.7%

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest
12 oz brown bottle
Jet ink # 12018 A12064
Served in an Allagash tulip glass

Pours an amber brown with orange highlights.

The nose is bland and average at best with whiffs of a strange metallic funk.

A smooth lager and a malty beer overall. The mouthfeel is a tad watery however. Syrupy with hints of caramel and maple. Give me a strong malt presence in this beer, please - a decent Oktoberfest

09-04-2008 23:20:58 | More by Hibernator
nrbw23

2.58/5  rDev -18.1%

A- Pours a light golden orange color. Decent off white head and lacing. Little lighter than I was expecting.

S- Really weak here. Light caramel and bready malts.

T- Again way too weak for me. Sweet and caramel malts.

M- Over light in body and carbonation.

D- I was very disappointed in this one. There's just so many better so I'll just have to pass.

09-02-2008 20:18:42 | More by nrbw23
Rennpferd

3.75/5  rDev +19%

Poured golden brown with minimum activity and a two finger head. The head quickly diminished to a nice lacing that clung to the sides of the stein.

A light sweet malt smell that is dominated by a bitter hop smell.

It tasted sharp, bitter and full of hops. I could barely taste the malt at first. It had a dry malty finish. Overall it was moderately smooth.

Verfy drinkable but there are others more drinkable. It is well worth the time to sit down with a few and enjoy on a nice evening.

08-31-2008 01:57:54 | More by Rennpferd
KeefD

3.55/5  rDev +12.7%

First in a mixed sixer of Oktoberfest beers to be consumed in the next few days.

Pours a bright orange/copper color with a small tan head and no lacing. Nutty, bready aroma, a bit of metallic notes. Taste is the same as the nose. Nutty, biscuity, mildly sweet, dry and slighlty bitter on the finish. Not enough caramel malt in the flavor profile to make it stand out, but a decent flavor nonetheless. A bit thin and watery on the tongue. Easily a sessionable Ofest.

A nice flavor but not really what I look for in an Oktoberfest.

08-27-2008 21:49:57 | More by KeefD
kinger

2.15/5  rDev -31.7%

Lousy marzen presented by a usually decent brewer. Aroma is non-existent, appearance is good with a nice bronze color and small creamy head. average feel here with a weak finish. Flavor is decent for a standard lager but falls fairly short for an oktoberfest. I have a sneaking suspicion that Leinenkugel's may be falling to the wayward hands of their owner, I only hope their other brews aren't being compromised by cheap ingredients.

08-12-2008 20:00:23 | More by kinger
WJVII

2.48/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured a very orange copper color. There was a thin off white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing. The aroma is very mild, some malt, light spice noticeable. The taste is thin with a little alcohol in the finish. Some decent hops flavor, but relatively unnoticeable and forgettable taste. This is a mediocre brew from Lenie's for whom I respect most of the beer they brew. Not their best work here.

08-07-2008 23:42:38 | More by WJVII
rye726

Colorado

1.78/5  rDev -43.5%

As with most of Leinkugel's beers, this leans more towards a macro than a micro. It pours a clear copper color with a suddy light beige head. The nose is grainy with some spices. The taste is mostly weak malt and old hops. Body is light and fizzy. Not the best example of the style.

05-26-2008 04:11:02 | More by rye726
BeaBeerWife

1.88/5  rDev -40.3%

Leinenkugels is one of those breweries that hangs in the shaded areas between respectful craft breweries and evil microbreweries. I'm not sure how much rice and corn that Miller forces down Leine's process if at all, but I do still have some respect left for Leine's.

With that being said, I hope they cancel their failed attempt at an Oktoberfest. While Leine's does make some good beers, I'm convinced that this Oktoberfest was nothing more than their regular Leinenkugels lager with some food coloring. Way to go, Miller.

So if you like Leinenkugels original, of which I do find to be a pretty good lager, then you'll like this. Its just mis-labeled as an Oktoberfest.

12-25-2007 19:49:57 | More by BeaBeerWife
brewdlyhooked13

3.28/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance - pours out about half and half foam and beer. Creamy head leaving a craggy pattern of lace behind. Underneath it is a coppery brew with great clarity. The head melts pretty fast, leaving a chunky, patchy covering.

Aroma - soft aroma of malts, a light element of roastiness to them. Low-key, not necessarily thin though. Just easy-going and persistent.

Taste - a nice measure of toasted malts, paired with a general grainy flavor. Little if any hop presence to this bottle, just a touch on the swallow. Fresher samples have demonstrated a decent note of balancing bitterness, I imagine the closer you get to Halloween, the more faded the hop note will be. The finish is mildly dry with a shadow of the toasty grain. Kind of plain but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - crisp body, somewhat thin as well.

Drinkability - easily sessionable but I'd generally go for something with a little more roast/toast to it for an OFest. Doesn't stand up against its similarly priced peers of the style.

11-18-2007 06:17:40 | More by brewdlyhooked13
PaleAlien2

Nebraska

2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

Has a pleasing copper color with a light tan head, but the taste is quite nondescript. Flavor is basically just malt with a bit of grass or earthiness to it, though it does have a light, crisp finish that makes me think it could be consumed in large quantities if taste or complexity aren’t really concerns.

11-17-2007 15:19:45 | More by PaleAlien2