Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: garymuchow on 08-30-2002

Ratings: 1,484 | Reviews: 466
2.51/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear copper color. The cream-colored head is about one fingers high and has a decent frothy texture, but also has poor retention. Despite the low duration, it still leaves behind a decent sheet of lacing behind.

S: Mild. While it does have that sweet caramel undercurrent ever-so-prominent in the style, it really doesn't jump out of the glass at all. I also pick up a touch of cereal grain - just a touch thankfully. Simply put, the aroma doesn't impress.

T: Again, it's just tastes 'held back' for whatever reason. An initial wave of mild caramel sweetness is washed away by the bitter finish. This bitterness isn't hoppy, it's honestly kind of metallic and even a touch chemical. Basically, it tanks what was otherwise a bland, average beer.

M: No questions, it's easy to drink. The sweet finish doesn't expose any of the harsh flavors excessively, and vibrant carbonation helps it go down the palate swiftly.

O: The best part? I drank it without incident. Sadly, that just means this one is no good. Even if it was offered to me freely, I'd think long and hard about drinking this again.

3.27/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a nice deeper amber color with a one finger pure white fizzy head and tons of tiny carbonation bubbles seen streaming up through the brew. The head has a decent level of retention, slowly fading over time to leave a bit of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is light overall, consisting of a bit of a lightly roasted bready smell as well as aromas of caramel and toffee.

Taste – The taste begins with a strong caramel and lightly toasted bready flavor. These flavor create the bulk of the taste and remain rather constant throughout the taste. Other sweeter flavors come to the tongue more toward the middle of the taste, consisting mainly of an apple and pear flavor. Along with the fruit, comes some spice flavors as well as a bit of a grassy flavor. These tastes take the taste to its end, leaving a rather sweet and lightly roasted flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the medium to slightly thinner side in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is on the average side. Both are appropriate for the style and match the sweeter, lightly roasted, and spiced flavors of the brew quite well.

Overall – A decent Oktoberfest that is a bit on the sweeter side. It’s alright, but noting super exceptional.

2.83/5  rDev -11%

Appearance: On the lighter side of copper, crystal clear. 2 finger white head with a decent head retention.

Smell: Mild caramel and bready notes with a malt forward aroma with the lightest hint of hop.

Taste: Not a bad beer. The first taste had some caramel and malt notes with a bready after taste. The body I found on the weak side, missing the richness I perfer in a 3B. Overall not bad but not the best either.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body with a mouthfeel bordering on watery.

Overall: Not a bad beer, I wouldn't send it back if I ordered it, but I'd ask what other ambers they had before I ordered it again. Lacks the character I look for in an Oktoberfest. I think a larger malt bill could help.

3.67/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasted On: 10-01-2013
Freshness: Best by 01-06-2014
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, screw-cap
Glassware: Frankfurt mug
Purchased: 6-pack from Kroger

A: Very large off-white head, on a bright and clear copper beer. Head retention is good.

S: Aromas have bready malts and some earthy hops.

T: The taste features semi-sweet caramel maltiness with light hop notes.

M: Average carbonation and a medium body. The finish is of caramel malts with a light bittering from hops.

O: Pleasant and easy drinking, if not very remarkable.

3.49/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper colored beer with a medium sized white head.

Smells of toasted grain and caramel with a herbal and grassy hop aroma.

Starts out mildly sweet with flavors of toasted grain and caramel. Herbal and grassy hops with a slight lemon taste. Slight flavor of burnt sugar. Yep it tastes like a Märzen.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a decent Märzen. Not the best of its kind but I wouldn't refuse one.

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Nice copper with good white head, excellent laces
S - Caramel malt
T - Light body, caramel with slight graininess, notable carbonation
M - Thin, not much malt
O - not a traditional Marzen, OK for one or two watching a football game

Poured in a 16 oz pint glass at McMichael's Pub, Gloucester City, NJ

3.22/5  rDev +1.3%

A - golden color, nice lacing , very clear. Good carbonation. Weaker carbonation towards end, however nice lacing down the whole glass.
S - nothing outstanding.
T - OK, nice balance between low alpha hops and malt.
M - good body
O - OK, might have one once in a while.

3.8/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer is WAY good for the money, but you can tell that it's the cheapest Oktoberfest you can get your hands on in the US. It's got nice lacing, but the head doesn't last long. The colour's even almost copper, but on the lighter side. You can taste a mild sourness common in cheap lagers. It kind of tastes like if you took a good marzen and poured some cheap Walgreen's lager into it. STILL, it preserves a lot of the things I like about marzens, which are some of my favourite beers. Fall is my favourite season for beer. It's got a rich, toasty flavour and a really nice blend of malt flavours, cheap-tasting malt, but still, very well blended. It really tastes like a marzen. The hops, too, taste genuinely like the hops a marzen should have. They're barely, there, just as they should be, but what flavour profile they provide is more than just a bittering agent. They add a bit of flavour, themselves. This is a great buy for the money.

4.18/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was very pleased with this beer. It left the impression of eating fresh baked bread on a cold autumn evening. To me, considering the style, I think it is a very good tasting beer. It's not overpowering, or watery. It's just a good sessionable beer that I will definitely be buying again.

3.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

A: Dark amber or light brown. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, brownish head. Settles pretty quickly leaving a little foam blanket on the surface. Very sparse lacing mostly quickly retreats back into the body of the brew.

S: Lightly roasted malt, and a little oak. Not much else.

T: Peaty and woody malt grains. Cheerios. Bitter tea leaf.

M: Kind of shallow. Little aftertaste except a light, chalky bitterness.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is okay. Decent head, no real lacing though. Nose is roasted grains with a bit of a woody character. Peaty and woody with a little bitterness. Overall, this is an okay quaff.

1.66/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Appearance: A very dark copper color with some head evident around the surrounding of the glass. There is also some on the surface of the beer. The beer also bubbles furiously. Looks appropriate to beer styling.

Smell: Has a bodied aroma to it, but it reminds me of Budweiser. Not a very good start. I don't smell much of anything related to malted hoppiness.

Taste: Not very much hops or malt in the way of taste. This still makes me think of budweiser.

Mouthfeel: There is a high level of carbonation in this beer with some medium thickness. They somehow actually benefit each other nicely. I can't complain about mouthfeel.

Overall: I am a big fan of Leinenkugel's beers, but not this one. I don't thick they hit the mark when it came to a marzen beer. A bit disappointing.

3.74/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type: Poured from a can into a standard pint glass

Appearance: Faint amber with fair lacing and a quickly disappearing head

Smell: Standard malt with hints of lemon

Taste: Well blended malts with no single flavor outstanding over the others. Full without much aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very good for this category; Full and blended with a hint of tingle.

Overall: A reliable seasonal beverage that I would go back to. Not the best in the category, but it does not pretend to be something that it's not. Easy to drink. Would enjoy best with friends on a Saturday afternoon in September.

3.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, best by date of DEC0213. Served in a mug, the beer pours a clear orange/amber color with an inch off-white head. Head retention is decent, and there isn't much lacing. The brew smells like toasted malt, caramel, and a little bit of hops. Taste is the same as the aroma, it's all toasted malt, caramel and some hoppiness. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit coating and very easy to drink. Moderate carbonation. Not a bad Oktoberfest brew, but not one of my favorites either. Still, I think it's worth trying. Got this as a single at my local Kroger.

3.47/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a long neck into a shaker. A fairly aggressive pour produces about one inch of a creamy white head, which sticks around pretty well. The beer is a yellowish-copper color with fairly low carbonation.

Very subdued nose (a bit of corn and very light floral hops) with definite toasty malt flavors, caramel and maybe some butterscotch, along with some corn mash and mild hop bitterness. The beer is very easy drinking and light in body, yet there's enough flavor to keep it interesting.

I remember trying a few Octoberfest brews last Fall, and I recall that my impression of Leinie's was quite favorable. One very popular brand, in particular, I found to be quite hard to drink....My favorable impression of Leinie's version is strengthened with this purchase, which is the first Octyfest that I've seen for sale in my town.

3.59/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours out to a half-inch off-white head that falls to a thin but permanent foam layer. Not much lacing. Color is amber-gold. Aroma is toasty Munich malt with a bit of grassy-spicy hops. Flavor is malt-forward and toasty as expected but not as round and sweet as a typical O-fest, possibly due to it being about 1.5% lower than the typical abv for the style. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, slightly astringent. Overall a solid brew but without the kick I was expecting.

3.48/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

My favorite fall beer but it's out way too early. Beer cola. Truthfully it's the only October beer I've ever had. I drank Coors light exclusively for twelve years then grew up by trying new beers every once and awhile. I'm sipping one now and sad that it will be in the 80's tomorrow!

3.51/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A early August night, time for a Oktoberfest? I bought a 12 pk of cans, easier to fit in my packed fridge.

Poured into a small lager mug. Nice color, dark amber, burnt orange. Really looks beautiful when held up to light. Nice head, falls quick though.

Little aroma. First taste, really "peppy" on the tongue. Light tasting, a little thin, then becomes sweet in the aftertaste. This brew becomes heavier after some of the carbonation dissipates. A really tasty beer. I like the sweetness, not overpowering, malt level perfect, slight tangy taste, little hops.

Overall a nice brew, even on a hot day I would enjoy this oktoberfest. This is my first of this style this year, I would have liked to put it off a bit, but couldnt resist.

3.52/5  rDev +10.7%

Beer is a decent enough Oktoberfest, I would certainly drink enough in the fall to fulfill my fair share. The beer is best enjoyed out of a bottle, particularly good out of a Munich glass. A flavorful beer to be enjoyed with friends on a Saturday afternoon.

3.81/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer in appearance was a light brown and i thought it was very good overall. The smell just smelled like fall with hints of cinnamon and possibly nutmeg in it. I think this would be a great beer for the fall time although i drank it in the spring time.

4.32/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Another pleasurable addition to The CANQuest (TM) and one that I {think that I} picked up at The Foodery (Northern Liberties). I have been a Leinie's fan ever since my visit to Hoos Warner in Madison, WI back in the spring of 1992. I know that they have really expanded their lineup of beers since then and the fact that they are CANning them makes it a double-plus bonus for me. Someday, I hope to relocate to the midwest, but for now, I am satiated by their beers.

From the CAN: "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel Family for five generations"; "The flavor of Fall with Munich, Pale & Caramel Malts and Four Specialty Hops".

I employed a Crack & Inverted Glug to get things started and it produced a finger of dense, tawny head as a result. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had a honey-like lager sweetness along with a breadiness, initially, and warming, I began to perceive the caramel. Mouthfeel was medium, but there was a pronounced effervescence due to all of the carbonation noted earlier. Taste was sweet, but not cloying, and I really liked the way that the malts interacted so that it had a sweetish, bready flavor initially and then took on a sweeter caramel taste on the finish. I also noted a slight grassiness, perhaps Hallertau hops? Fall seasonal? Hell, it's a "German-style Marzen" and it's damn close to March as it stands. I would like to see this released more often and if not, stash some away for late winter. It is just that good.

3.82/5  rDev +20.1%

Very good Oktoberfest brew. Reminds me of holiday in Munich. Very festive tasting beer, with hints of nutmeg and cinnamon with a slightly citrus bite. I would recommend it to those who cannot handle real German beer that has a high ABV. Perfect for beginners in the world of Oktoberfest brews

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: Looks like a solid session. High carbonation with foam and, especially, lacing. Pale brown in color.

Smell: Faint pineapple along with faint lightly toasted nuts.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Well-balanced bitterness and sweetness, but very generic. Some apple and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is actually quite crisp and enjoyable.

Overall Drinkability: A middle of the road beer. Easy to drink a bunch with no problem.

2.88/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz. bottle, bought as part of the Leinenkugel's Autumn sampler pack. Bottle says to enjoy by January 07, 2013 so I am only a couple days late on this one, but I was waiting for my sinuses to clear so I can actually smell and taste the beer. And the 12 pack was only $5.99 from my local beer store, you sure as hell can't beat that.

A - Non-aggressive pour into a Boulevard tulip glass yields virtually no head whatsoever. One of the most copper colored beers I've ever seen. Steady bubbles rushing to the top.

S - Pale malts is really the only thing I am getting out of this one. Slightly bubblegum smelling. Reminds me of other German style märzens / Oktoberfest beers I've had, or even slightly akin to the Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale.

T - Not as bad as some people make it out to be. Very dry and malty with maybe the vaguest bit of cinnamon and other Halloween spices added to the mix. Aftertaste is again kind of bubblegummy.

M - Clean and smooth mouthfeel. Doesn't stick around, no resinous piney hops, no spice lingerance. The only thing that is left is a hint of the bubblegum malts.

Overall, this isn't a terrible brew. Leinenkugel's isn't exactly top notch stuff in my book, but grabbing yourself one of their seasonal variety packs usually works out in your favor. Not my favorite autumn beer at all, but with a moderate 5.10% abv it is easy sippin, and definitely drinkable. This is my first beer review under the newly remodeled rating system, and to keep things on an even keel I am probably just going to stick with rating my beers as I did on the old scale before the .75 or .25 option was available, for now anyway.

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest ---3/5.

2.58/5  rDev -18.9%

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, pours a copper color with a short loose off white head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing, clear

S: light yeasty bread quality, caramel malt, odd citrus note, not much going on

T: on the sweeter side with a little spice, mostly just malty water

M: medium bodied, light carbonation

O: pass on this one, there are much better Marzens out there, drinkable but unimpressive

2.62/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer on tap at a chain restaurant. Not sure how long it sat before I received it but it was still quite cold.

A: Medium orange amber with a lace of foam on top, no thick head.

S: Smelt slightly metallic and bread-like.

T: Minimal bitterness which was a plus, but had a metallic taste to go with the smell. Had to work pretty hard to get any deep flavor out of it. Slight nuttiness emerged halfway through as it warmed.

M: Watery, but had a nice quick finish with no lingering after taste. Also very dry finish.

O: Mild beer with subtle flavors. Would try again, but not go out of my way to acquire.

Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company