Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 08-07-2012)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
SometimesIfart

2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Pours a pinkish-purple with a two finger slightly purple head. Decent lacing.

S - Strawberry, slight adjunct, lemon, slight blueberry, kiwi.

T - Lemon, grape, sour cherry, strawberry, pretty much as expected, though doesn't really seem like a beer.

M - Watery with a medium body and medium to heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, this beer was exactly what I expected. I'd have again on a hot summer day.

12-03-2012 04:36:26 | More by SometimesIfart
woodychandler

2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

All it took was a recent visit to Al's of Hampden in Enola to find the CAN that I coveted. Now all that remains is a review in support of The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "The pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "A crisp and refreshing Shandy style beer perfect for any occasion".

One of my colleagues recently had a fundraiser that involved a cotton candy machine. The momentary two fingers of fizzy pink head following the Crack and Glug reminded me of cotton candy. Color was a hazy pink and I was beginning to question my manhood. Nose was really sweet with an unnatural citrus-berry scent. They may claim "... blackberry juice and natural flavors" all they want, but I remain dubious. Mouthfeel was rather thin with an immediate lemony tang on the tongue, followed by a pleasant sweetness, but I could not specifically identify it as blackberry. Finish was semi-sweet and I felt like I had been drinking a cooler. It was not bad on a humid evening, but I would be embarrassed to drink it outside of my house and no matter what, a couple would be plenty. Read into that what you will. I'm keeping my original numbers.

The below is from my original bottle review, dtd 10-30-2012 w/a:5; s: 2.5; t: 3; m: 3; o: 2.5

It is amazing what I have found in my refrigerator over these last few days of Frankenstorm 2012! It is even more amazing that this comes in a CAN and I am reviewing it from a bottle. Will wonders never cease?

The pour was somehow shocking to me as I did not expect it to be pink! Well, I should have known - it is the end of October and this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month with its signature color of pink. Think Pink, baby! Even the finger of foamy head with its moderate retention was a light shade of pink. I'm calling the Pink Panther for some help with this one. Color was a hazy pink, like freshly-squeezed pink grapefruit juice. Nose smelled like kiddie candy! Lemon, yes, along with a generic berry sweetness. My Old Lady would scoff at this stuff. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a greater tartness than I was expecting from the super-sweet nose. That is not to suggest that I found it to be terribly enjoyable, however. The label read "Weiss Beer with Blackberry Juice and Natural Flavors", but it seemed like a lot of the esters were chemically produced. It simply did not have a natural taste to me. Warming, I was getting more and more tartness and the label indicates red raspberries also, which can impart tartness. Maybe there was truth in advertising here, but it still seems a bit feminine for this bearded weirdo. I have a reputation to uphold, after all. This just struck me as something to foist off on those annoying chicks who still claim that they don't like beer. Baby, with the plethora of solid craft beers available today, how can you still not find something to your liking?!? Have one of these while the Old Lady and I do our thing.

05-23-2013 01:40:25 | More by woodychandler
RickS95

Indiana

2.88/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Has some beer-like qualities. Hazy, dark peach color with fruity things in suspension. The head isn't thick, but it never fully dissipates...really. The bubbles are thin and uniform, and give a thin lace. Think wit with some fruit.

Scents include artificial lemonade and raspberry. Similar to their Summer Shandy. The lemon is more prevalent than the berry, but the berries at least make an appearance.

Taste is similar to the smell. Slight wheat presence, but the fake fruit taste overwhelms.

It's a bit carbonated for me. Each sip burns my throat. It's plenty tangy and tart. Very sweet and artificial. It's certainly clean and crisp, it just goes about it a little differently than I'd like.

Not an awful 'beer' for being a shandy, just kind of hard to consider it a good beer when they use fruit juice instead of actual fruit. I could do without the bite of the carbonation. Certainly sessionable if you don't mind the beating your throat will take.

09-27-2013 02:14:22 | More by RickS95
Goosehunter75

Missouri

2.86/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours a slightly hazy pale red with a 1 finger slightly pinkish head

S - Wow that smells sweet! Smells like berries and malt!

T - Just like the smell. Very sweet with an emphasis on berries, I could pick up just a hint of the lemon as well. I tasted like carbonated Kool-Aid to me!

M - Very light, thin beer with lots of carbonation

O - Not bad, but I wouldnt want more than one. Too sweet for me. Its not what I'm looking for when Im wanting to drink a beer, but for what they were trying to create probably spot on.

03-17-2013 20:45:45 | More by Goosehunter75
vickersspitfire

2.85/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a pint glass, this beer is a slightly reddish/pinkish color, almost like grapefruit juice. The body looks nice, semi-hazy and topped off with a thick head that’s fluffy and bubbly but thins out and has some good lacing. The aroma is rather light and overwhelmingly lemony in composition, some light grasses come through but not much else. Mouth feel is very light and the flavor is pretty much like that of watered down pink lemonade. Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t a bad beer just one of those beers that would be very refreshing on a hot day after working outside.

11-19-2012 04:01:17 | More by vickersspitfire
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.83/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Leinenkugel’s Lemon Berry Shandy has a very thick, slightly tinted white head, a very hazy, pink-orange appearance, with a large, swirling, gray cloud of sediment descending, with lots of ascending bubble streams. There are some lacing rings left behind. The aroma is of lemon drink, and the flavor is of sugary, lemon drink, sourness, citrus juice, and white bread. Mouthfeel is mostly heavy. Leinenkugel’s Lemon Berry Shandy finishes juice dry, very sweet, and gulpable. Overall, for what it is- a fruit/beer concoction, it is very good. For beer over all, it is only average. It is just too sweet!

RJT

09-19-2013 14:05:03 | More by RonaldTheriot
NiceTaps

2.83/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12oz can poured into a pint glass.

A- The good: 1-finger pure white head, abundant carbonation, a bit of lacing.
The bad: an awful reddish color. Blackberry-lemon-wheat mix that had no appeal for me at all.

S- Berry sweetness with lemon on the side. The blackberry was strong enough to make me pause and double check to make sure it was really beer.

T- The berry is to strong for me, the lemon goes to waste in this offering. Not much else.

M- Syrupy sweet carbonation, blackberry soda-like.

O- Summer shandy I like, the orange shandy isn't bad either. This one's a mistake. My review is tempered a bit by my like for Leinie.

07-31-2013 22:56:56 | More by NiceTaps
metter98

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

A: The beer is very hazy dark pinkish yellow in color and has a very slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that died down a bit but left a a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: If I didn't first look at the color of this beer, I would have thought this smelled exactly like lemonade.
T: The taste has an equal mix of lemony and blackberry flavors.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: There's nothing overly special about this beer, except for the fact that it is very easy to drink. It kind of reminds me of a radler in Germany.

12-26-2012 00:40:45 | More by metter98