Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 08-07-2012)
djrn2

09-09-2012 03:12:48 | More by djrn2
metter98

2.78/5  rDev -7.6%

A: The beer is very hazy dark pinkish yellow in color and has a very slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that died down a bit but left a a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface.
S: If I didn't first look at the color of this beer, I would have thought this smelled exactly like lemonade.
T: The taste has an equal mix of lemony and blackberry flavors.
M: It feels light-bodied and a little tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: There's nothing overly special about this beer, except for the fact that it is very easy to drink. It kind of reminds me of a radler in Germany.

12-26-2012 00:40:45 | More by metter98

3.25/5  rDev +8%

12-14-2013 04:23:30 | More by jaydoc
Knapp85

3.59/5  rDev +19.3%

This poured out as a murky brownish red color with hue of yellow near the edges. The head was white but faded quickly. There was no retention of lacing on this one. The smell of the beer is very fruity, plenty of citrus and berry aromas, smells similar to a soda honestly. The taste of the beer has a good balance of lemon and berry, but again it's much like a soda or fruit punch. There is a really nice strong wheat flavor in the finish which I really enjoyed. The mouthfeel is kind of watery but has a decent carbonation at least. Overall it's a decent beer. Something I would definitely prefer in the summer as opposed to winter.

02-22-2013 00:00:54 | More by Knapp85
TMoney2591

2.35/5  rDev -21.9%

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Morbid curiosity got the better of me here. This stuff pours a cloudy pink-ish topped by about a finger or so of off-white foam. The nose comprises Country Time lemonade mix, light vague berry, and a touch of bubblegum. The taste reverses things a bit, focusing on the fake berry flavor (coming across as stale Crunchberries with a slightly bolder flavor), though the lemonade mix doesn't go away. Things are just too fake-tasting: hell, there's even a general sense of mild plastic in the background! The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and an airy finish. Overall, a pretty sad beer, one that takes an already un-good beer and twists it with more artificiality and whatnot to make it even worse.

10-05-2012 12:43:31 | More by TMoney2591
zeff80

Missouri

3.43/5  rDev +14%

A - Poured out a clear, peach-color with pink highlights. It had a small, short-lived head that left minimal lacing.

S - It smelled fruity - lemon and black berry. Not much else.

T - Sweet and fruity with some zestiness. Nice blackberry and lemon flavors. Slightly tart.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. It had the high carbonation I expect in a shandy. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is a nice shandy. Refreshing on a hot summer day.

09-11-2012 02:01:11 | More by zeff80
Rifugium

1.5/5  rDev -50.2%

05-26-2013 11:48:13 | More by Rifugium
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.7/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours clouded pink grapefruit-ish hued with a thin head that lasts. Some web-like lacing sticks.

The smell is of blackberry juice. Slightly tart.

The taste is of a blend of fruit juices, mostly notably, blackberry, raspberry and lemon. However, not the same way the real juices are - there is a plastic-like taste to it. A hint of tart keeps it from being as sweet as the fruit malt drinks, raising the score a tad for me. Still it is sweet.

The carbonation stays just under the "too fizzy" category. It is smooth - more from being watery than otherwise, though there is a malty touch to it.

Not a true shandy in my eyes, as there is a lack of "beer" qualities. Though, as stated above not sickly sweet as the fruit malt beverages. If you want a fruit juice brew, it's tolerable, I suppose. I raised the overall just a hair because it is what it is...(better than the berry weiss from what I remember).

10-07-2012 20:37:25 | More by jwc215
mendvicdog

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

10-13-2012 04:27:58 | More by mendvicdog
kojevergas

2.53/5  rDev -15.9%

12 fl oz aluminum can acquired as part of the Leinenkugel summer variety box (12 pack). "A crisp and refreshing shandy style beer perfect for any occasion." Reviewed as a radler. Label art is pretty good for the price point. 4.2% ABV confirmed. I don't see a best before/bottled on date. Expectations are below average given the brewery.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured into an Oskar Blues pilsner glass with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. Reviewed in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. I purchased it at the Ralph's grocery in Santa Monica.

A: Pours a seemingly overcarbonated four finger wide head of biege/murky pink colour. Okay creaminess. Fairly soft complexion. Okay thickness. Good (~6 minute) retention. No lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a murky dull grey-peach. It's as unevocative, dull, and noncommital as I've ever seen. What a terrible colour for a beer; I mean damn does it look bland. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Nontransparent; quasitranslucent.

Looks pretty shite, admittedly. I'm reserving judgment.

Sm: Fruit syrup - lemon zest, black currant, grape, cherry soda additive. Blackberry. Artificial and garbage. Fake lemon extract is dominant. Crystal malt, cancerous sugars, more off-putting syrup. Smells like an overly sweet candy intended for the seven year old demographic. No yeast character, hop notes, or alcohol is detectable. Not really a beer aroma, honestly. Moderate in strength.

T: Syrupy candy-like fruit syrups are rampant here: lemon, blackberry, grape, blackcurrant, raspberry, cherry. Bleh. Crystal malt. Residual sugars: sugarcane, white crystallized sugar, aspartame. No real hop character to speak of. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Artificial. A light tartness is the most pleasant aspect of this brew. Poorly balanced and constructed; no complexity or subtlety here. Pretty garbage for a radler, but nevertheless strangely enjoyable for what it is so long as you don't expect it to be a beer.

Mf: Artificial, smooth, wet, and a touch fizzy. A biteen overcarbonated - but less so than most beers. Passable thickness. Okay presence on the palate for what it is. Not oily, harsh, or biting. Meh.

Dr: Downable but immediately forgettable. This will find its audience, but that audience is not the discerning beer drinker. It's far from great - even for a radler/shandy - but it does make for a decent sipping beverage to sneak into the movies to pair with greasy popcorn. It has its place, but I won't be returning to it if I have to pay for it. It's not awful, though many reviewers will attack it out of elitism. Truthfully, it's drinkable but unenjoyable as a beer.

Low C-

07-09-2013 05:43:48 | More by kojevergas
woodychandler

2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

All it took was a recent visit to Al's of Hampden in Enola to find the CAN that I coveted. Now all that remains is a review in support of The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "The pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "A crisp and refreshing Shandy style beer perfect for any occasion".

One of my colleagues recently had a fundraiser that involved a cotton candy machine. The momentary two fingers of fizzy pink head following the Crack and Glug reminded me of cotton candy. Color was a hazy pink and I was beginning to question my manhood. Nose was really sweet with an unnatural citrus-berry scent. They may claim "... blackberry juice and natural flavors" all they want, but I remain dubious. Mouthfeel was rather thin with an immediate lemony tang on the tongue, followed by a pleasant sweetness, but I could not specifically identify it as blackberry. Finish was semi-sweet and I felt like I had been drinking a cooler. It was not bad on a humid evening, but I would be embarrassed to drink it outside of my house and no matter what, a couple would be plenty. Read into that what you will. I'm keeping my original numbers.

The below is from my original bottle review, dtd 10-30-2012 w/a:5; s: 2.5; t: 3; m: 3; o: 2.5

It is amazing what I have found in my refrigerator over these last few days of Frankenstorm 2012! It is even more amazing that this comes in a CAN and I am reviewing it from a bottle. Will wonders never cease?

The pour was somehow shocking to me as I did not expect it to be pink! Well, I should have known - it is the end of October and this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month with its signature color of pink. Think Pink, baby! Even the finger of foamy head with its moderate retention was a light shade of pink. I'm calling the Pink Panther for some help with this one. Color was a hazy pink, like freshly-squeezed pink grapefruit juice. Nose smelled like kiddie candy! Lemon, yes, along with a generic berry sweetness. My Old Lady would scoff at this stuff. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a greater tartness than I was expecting from the super-sweet nose. That is not to suggest that I found it to be terribly enjoyable, however. The label read "Weiss Beer with Blackberry Juice and Natural Flavors", but it seemed like a lot of the esters were chemically produced. It simply did not have a natural taste to me. Warming, I was getting more and more tartness and the label indicates red raspberries also, which can impart tartness. Maybe there was truth in advertising here, but it still seems a bit feminine for this bearded weirdo. I have a reputation to uphold, after all. This just struck me as something to foist off on those annoying chicks who still claim that they don't like beer. Baby, with the plethora of solid craft beers available today, how can you still not find something to your liking?!? Have one of these while the Old Lady and I do our thing.

05-23-2013 01:40:25 | More by woodychandler
Zorro

2.54/5  rDev -15.6%

Last beer out of a Leinenkugel Summer Shandy variety pack.

Cloudy with a faint reddish purple color to it. Tall purplish-white colored head forms and then disappears.

Smells strongly of berries and lemon and sugar. Smells like blackberry soda.

Starts out sweet with a strong berry flavor and a sour lemon finish. Faint beer flavor but this is mostly berry flavored.

Mouthfeel is soda.

Overall it is drinkable but is closer to soda than beer.

09-01-2013 23:23:37 | More by Zorro
Latarnik

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%

05-30-2014 18:43:14 | More by Latarnik
tdm168

3.01/5  rDev 0%

A - dark, hazy orange with a thin, very fizzy, pure white head that fades fast

S - tart lemon with some faint blackberry notes, sweet

T - sweet, artificial lemonade mixed with blackberries

M - light, crisp, over-carbonated, sticky

This is as advertised. It's lemon. It's berry. It's called shandy. I've had worse if that makes this better. I found everything about this beer to be artificial. It was definitely not an enjoyable drinking experience. I'll pass in the future.

03-10-2013 04:46:04 | More by tdm168

GraduatedCashew

06-11-2013 16:42:29 | More by GraduatedCashew
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

12 oz twist-off sample bottle poured into a Leinenkugel's imperial pint.
No info.

A - Pouring a hazy dried peach color, it's neither pink nor orange, but meeting somewhere in the middle. A tall crown of white foam caps the beer and, in thick layers, leaves lace clutching the pint as it sinks down.

S - Lemon Berry Shandy has the aroma of a mixed fruit drink, a wine cooler, something you'd crush, relaxing on the beach; blended lemonade, reminiscent of the "Olde Lemonade" stands at festivals with fresh lemons and chunky granules of sugar, and a touch of mixed berry kool-ade. It's got a blend of tart and sweet through the aroma, but definitely like it'll lean to the sweet side in flavor.

T - With total simplicity, Lemon Berry Shandy merges Berry Weiss with Summer Shandy, abandoning aggressive sweetness for a more balanced and drinkable flavor; artificial mixed berry flavors with a more realistic lemonade bite on the finish. Soft wheat and almost forgettable pale malt are barely touched on, begging the question, "is this even beer"?

M - Moderately high carbonation dances on the tongue as this light bodied beer smoothly slides from mouth to stomach. Crisp and refreshing, a lingering sweetness trails, followed by a subtle dry saltiness, begging for another sip.

O - Is this something I'd reach for often? Not so much, but when I'm in the liquor store on hot days, I get strange cravings for carbonated, alcoholic fruity drinks, and this fits the bill. This is the beer I'd be crushing, can after can of, at my uncle's lake house while relaxing under the hot sun. It's tasty, refreshing, and drinkable, but most importantly, mindless; I don't have to feel guilty about putting them back with total disregard. It's only there to fulfill my first three adjectives, nothing more, nothing less. If Leinie's Lemon Berry Shandy was a rock star, it would be the rock star getting all the ladies, all the time.

08-07-2012 00:07:31 | More by BeerFMAndy
flagmantho

Washington

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: pale pink hue, clearly a mixing of a golden wheat body with blackberry juice. Head is a thin finger of frothy white foam. I can't imagine what else this beer would look like with its ingredients, but the overall picture is somewhat sickly.

Smell: light wheaty aroma with a tart, fresh lemon scent. The berry is minimal. I guess it's not bad, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Taste: lemon, berry and wheat beer characteristics. Really, it is pretty refreshing, and while it may not be my favorite beer in the world, it is definitely as-advertised.

Mouthfeel: surprising! Light body but a good level of carbonation which is actually quite creamy, yet appropriate to the style. I like it.

Overall: this beer just falls a little flat for me. Sure, it is refreshing, but I don't want to drink any more of it.

09-22-2012 17:22:04 | More by flagmantho