Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 08-07-2012)

stampfler07, May 28, 2013

Kingcurio, May 28, 2013

RedWeizen83, May 27, 2013

DbbC, May 27, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -50.2%

Rifugium, May 26, 2013

Waveoff, May 26, 2013
4.51/5  rDev +49.8%

A-pours a pinkish brown color with a small head that dissapates quickly.

S-lemons and berries.

T-tastes of lemonade and berries. Not much else.

M-good carbonation

O-very good beer. Perfect for a hot day. Would have no problem downing a whole six pack. Might go get a 12 pack.

LoveMyBeer1991, May 25, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +24.6%

MadWolf, May 24, 2013

nheinzie57, May 24, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -3.7%

All it took was a recent visit to Al's of Hampden in Enola to find the CAN that I coveted. Now all that remains is a review in support of The CANQuest (TM).

From the CAN: "The pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "A crisp and refreshing Shandy style beer perfect for any occasion".

One of my colleagues recently had a fundraiser that involved a cotton candy machine. The momentary two fingers of fizzy pink head following the Crack and Glug reminded me of cotton candy. Color was a hazy pink and I was beginning to question my manhood. Nose was really sweet with an unnatural citrus-berry scent. They may claim "... blackberry juice and natural flavors" all they want, but I remain dubious. Mouthfeel was rather thin with an immediate lemony tang on the tongue, followed by a pleasant sweetness, but I could not specifically identify it as blackberry. Finish was semi-sweet and I felt like I had been drinking a cooler. It was not bad on a humid evening, but I would be embarrassed to drink it outside of my house and no matter what, a couple would be plenty. Read into that what you will. I'm keeping my original numbers.

The below is from my original bottle review, dtd 10-30-2012 w/a:5; s: 2.5; t: 3; m: 3; o: 2.5

It is amazing what I have found in my refrigerator over these last few days of Frankenstorm 2012! It is even more amazing that this comes in a CAN and I am reviewing it from a bottle. Will wonders never cease?

The pour was somehow shocking to me as I did not expect it to be pink! Well, I should have known - it is the end of October and this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month with its signature color of pink. Think Pink, baby! Even the finger of foamy head with its moderate retention was a light shade of pink. I'm calling the Pink Panther for some help with this one. Color was a hazy pink, like freshly-squeezed pink grapefruit juice. Nose smelled like kiddie candy! Lemon, yes, along with a generic berry sweetness. My Old Lady would scoff at this stuff. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a greater tartness than I was expecting from the super-sweet nose. That is not to suggest that I found it to be terribly enjoyable, however. The label read "Weiss Beer with Blackberry Juice and Natural Flavors", but it seemed like a lot of the esters were chemically produced. It simply did not have a natural taste to me. Warming, I was getting more and more tartness and the label indicates red raspberries also, which can impart tartness. Maybe there was truth in advertising here, but it still seems a bit feminine for this bearded weirdo. I have a reputation to uphold, after all. This just struck me as something to foist off on those annoying chicks who still claim that they don't like beer. Baby, with the plethora of solid craft beers available today, how can you still not find something to your liking?!? Have one of these while the Old Lady and I do our thing.

woodychandler, May 23, 2013

1mrbeer, May 22, 2013

taez555, May 19, 2013

LeahM, May 19, 2013

-ronin-, May 19, 2013
3.11/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance – Pours a very hazy-murky pinkish orange colored brew. Upon poring there is a big billowy pinkish tinted head that fades rather fast and leave a decent level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is very sweet with a big aroma of lemonade. Mixed with these smells are some lighter aromas of a blueberry and raspberry smell.

Taste – The taste begins with a strong lemonade sweetness mixed with a little bit of a malt taste. The sweeter lemonade flavor remains rather constant throughout the taste and is joined more toward the middle by some flavors of a nondescript candy like berry. A light amount of a musky and floral flavors come to the tongue at the end leaving an overall sweet lemonade flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the brew was very thin in creaminess and thickness with a carbonation level that was on the more average side. Both are good for the sweet and fruity flavors for the brew and make for an easy drinker.

Overall – Well not really anything all that amazing. Like a hard lemonade light beer blend. It may be good for a hot summer day after mowing the lawn, but otherwise nothing I would really go for on any real occasion.

Darkmagus82, May 19, 2013

brandon911, May 12, 2013

hinemk76, May 11, 2013

Slay40, May 11, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nice look to it--somewhat opaque, decent head when poured un-aggressively into a pint glass. smells sweet--mostly lemon. Almost smells like lemon-scented floor cleaner. It's nice, but unsettling. Tastes pretty good--it's sweet, even for a shandy, so it's a bit out of balance. But overall, it's refreshing and pleasant. I could have a few before the sweetness gets to me. Decent body, not too full, but okay. I'd like it to be slightly crisper, but it's good.

Overall, this is an above-average beer. It's a nice alternative on a hot summer's day to a Bud Lime or Miller Chill. It doesn't rate with better beers, and really isn't what I expect from Leinenkugel's, but it's not bad by any stretch. You can't go wrong bringing 12 of these to your next summer BBQ.

I just read a few reviews, and it's been said this tastes more like a "malt beverage" than a beer. That's fair to a certain extent--the sweetness is similar to what you get in those types of beverages. That said, this is a decent offering. (FYI, I did not change my rating.)

Kooz, May 10, 2013