Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 08-07-2012)

3.5/5  rDev +16.3%

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

2.5/5  rDev -16.9%

2.7/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours clouded pink grapefruit-ish hued with a thin head that lasts. Some web-like lacing sticks.

The smell is of blackberry juice. Slightly tart.

The taste is of a blend of fruit juices, mostly notably, blackberry, raspberry and lemon. However, not the same way the real juices are - there is a plastic-like taste to it. A hint of tart keeps it from being as sweet as the fruit malt drinks, raising the score a tad for me. Still it is sweet.

The carbonation stays just under the "too fizzy" category. It is smooth - more from being watery than otherwise, though there is a malty touch to it.

Not a true shandy in my eyes, as there is a lack of "beer" qualities. Though, as stated above not sickly sweet as the fruit malt beverages. If you want a fruit juice brew, it's tolerable, I suppose. I raised the overall just a hair because it is what it is...(better than the berry weiss from what I remember).

2.35/5  rDev -21.9%

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Morbid curiosity got the better of me here. This stuff pours a cloudy pink-ish topped by about a finger or so of off-white foam. The nose comprises Country Time lemonade mix, light vague berry, and a touch of bubblegum. The taste reverses things a bit, focusing on the fake berry flavor (coming across as stale Crunchberries with a slightly bolder flavor), though the lemonade mix doesn't go away. Things are just too fake-tasting: hell, there's even a general sense of mild plastic in the background! The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and an airy finish. Overall, a pretty sad beer, one that takes an already un-good beer and twists it with more artificiality and whatnot to make it even worse.

1.25/5  rDev -58.5%

3.6/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clean pinkish-amber, not clear, like a wheat beer. About two fingers of head that actually stayed for awhile. Wasn't expecting that.

S - Pink lemonade. Treading carefully at this stage in the game.

T - Primarily tastes of pink lemonade, with just a TOUCH of malt. It's in there to remind you it's a beer, because you might not know otherwise. But it works.

M - Slightly watery, but in a good way. Mostly because compared to Summer Shandy, it's much more mellow and the sweetness isn't thrown in your face. You won't involuntarily pucker from a cup of sugar in each beer like you probably do with Summer Shandy. Fair amount of fizz.

O - They made some efforts to remind you it's beer, because other than alcohol content and carbonation, it might not fit the bill. But that being said, it's nice...a bit of a novelty but I'd have one again. And smoother and less offensive than Summer Shandy.

3.65/5  rDev +21.3%

Eh, not bad.

I don't know how much this resembles a "beer", but it's an interesting consumption. The appearance is a pinkish-purpley color that is somewhat cloudy like wheat beers. The smell is right on with berries and lemon. Another reviewer said it smelled like household cleaner...and I don't get that aroma myself, but it has a lemon undertone. It surely doesn't smell like a beer. The taste is very light and refreshing. It starts off very sweet and ends lightly on the palate. The mouthfeel is crisp. It has about the same amount of carbonation on the tongue as some draft ciders.

Overall it's not too bad. I got a 12 pack on sale and I'm glad I tried it. I won't say it's one of my favorites, but it's pretty good. If you like "lighter" beers and enjoy fruity beers, then this one is for you. If you're a hard core "beer guy", then I'd say not so much.

It tastes more like berry-lemonade than beer...

3.65/5  rDev +21.3%

Lemon Berry Shandy pours an almost pink color, with a small disappearing head. There was a sweet sugary aroma, but not very pronounced. There was a very sweet taste, profound raspberry flavors, that blended with lemonade flavors, tasted like a raspberry lemonade, and also very carbonated, a yeasty taste mixed in throughout. Pronounced flavors, very carbonated, and pretty sweet. Overall I found this very interesting. Tasted more like a raspberry lemonade soda opposed to a beer, so might not be for everyone.

1.75/5  rDev -41.9%

2.58/5  rDev -14.3%

From 9/22/12 Tasting Notes

Sampled this with my brother. (Spoiler Alert) Thank the Lord, because I would not want a whole bottle. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a 8 oz glass. This was served well chilled.

A) This is a pinkish brew, fairly similar in color to their Berry Weiss. There was about a finger of foam, that appeared to have a pinkish tint to it. No lacing noted...

S) The aroma was more like their Shandy, which is kind of a lemon household cleaner. The berries were noted, but pretty faint compared to the lemon.

T) This is pretty sweet and artificial. The berries are more prominent in the flavor than on the nose. There was something medicinal, it was a little like my kid's berry flavored ibuprofen. I mean, this definitely is beer, or at least kind of beer, but the flavor didn't work for me.

M) Light and quite a bit of carbonation, but that is what this beer calls for.

O) I know my ratings for the Shandy and Berry Weiss are slightly higher than average, but this combo does not work for me personally. Having said that, I can also see how this offering may be quite appealing to others. As for mixing Leinenkugel's beers, I much prefer the Berry and Honey Weiss combo. Nothing wrong with a refreshing honey bear on the patio.

4.25/5  rDev +41.2%

3.33/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: pale pink hue, clearly a mixing of a golden wheat body with blackberry juice. Head is a thin finger of frothy white foam. I can't imagine what else this beer would look like with its ingredients, but the overall picture is somewhat sickly.

Smell: light wheaty aroma with a tart, fresh lemon scent. The berry is minimal. I guess it's not bad, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Taste: lemon, berry and wheat beer characteristics. Really, it is pretty refreshing, and while it may not be my favorite beer in the world, it is definitely as-advertised.

Mouthfeel: surprising! Light body but a good level of carbonation which is actually quite creamy, yet appropriate to the style. I like it.

Overall: this beer just falls a little flat for me. Sure, it is refreshing, but I don't want to drink any more of it.

2.75/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Leinie's Lemon Berry Shandy pours a hazy peach color with a surprisingly nice head. The aroma is ... you guessed it ... berries and lemon! The taste is also surprisingly good, I wasn't expecting to like this nearly as much as I do. It's got a tart berry flavor at first, and finishes with the trademark lemon and sweet wheat aftertaste. Refreshing and tasty, although relatively far removed from beer. The mouthfeel is light, highly carbonated, and slightly drying, and the drinkability is great. I could almost feel my credibility dropping as I started reviewing this beer. I'm a sucker for shandys, and a sucker for fruit beers. This one jumped right into my weak point. It's just a tasty beverage.

Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company