Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Leinenkugel's Lemon Berry Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 08-07-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance - Pours hazy amber with a touch of pink, a white 2 finger head with 2 finger head, sub-par retention, but a spotty lace that shows nice stick.

Smell - Strong notes of lemonade and berry. Not much in the way of actual beer character, but I can dig it regardless.

Taste - Hits with strong notes of lemonade and berry, mid-taste a bit of wheat peaks through, then comes 'round more strongly as the finish approaches. Aftertaste is a well balanced affair with the wheat and the fruit flavors. Tangy.

Mouthfeel - Light in body, with a fair amount of carbonation, but the sheer tangy quality of the flavor keeps this thing lively by itself.

Overall - I imagine shandys as being the wine coolers of the brewing world, something refreshing that young teenagers would almost assuredly enjoy after snagging from their parents home. In any case, I didn't find it to be bad, just lacking in any real beer sense. Fruity as hell. No hops. Would I drink it again? Probably, but it's not something I'd buy... until I have teenagers in the home.

Just joking, people.

1.89/5  rDev -38%

Gift from a coworker who heard I "like craft beer" and wanted to share. The thought is what counts.

Appearance: Drinking from the bottle due to Frankenstorm (Hurricane Sandy) limiting my ability to do dishes. Label indicates wheat, lemon, and TWO colors of berry.

Smell: First wiff made me think of lemon cough drops. The second did nothing to change that impression.

Taste: The name really says it all. Strong elements of sweet berry-candy flavor (think fruit-roll-ups or the like) paired with some tart lemon-candy flavor. The word "candy" is key, because there is almost no hint of real fruit flavors in any way. Same goes with the tastes normally associated with beer itself. I try to pick out something besides the candy flavors, but all I get is a slight bitterness with seemingly no source.

Mouthfeel: Thankfully not over carbonated. Thin and smooth, at least it feels good going down.

Overall: I would not suggest this to anyone. Fruit beer fans will not find anything here, and nor will anyone else I can imagine. That being said, my coworker will get my sincere thanks.

3.83/5  rDev +25.6%

A- Pours a hazy, light orange to almost pink hue. A medium sized, frothy, 2 finger head. Retention was surprisingly good, and lacing was decent. Typical wheat beer look, but with some fruity colors thrown in.

S- Like blackberry lemonade. Sweet and light, with a lot of sweet notes, but also a hint of lemon tang. Fairly complex for a Leinie's, but most of the flavor is sweet, fruity, and a little tangy.

T- Just like the scent. Light and sweet with lots of fruit. Simple and straightforward, very fruity and sweet, yet not completely one dimensional. Lots of traditional wheat beer characteristics that are covered up by the dominant fruit flavors.

M- Light and easy to drink. Great summer beer, but also has the ability to be versatile for all seasons. Could drink as many as you want, but the wheat base could be a little filling.

Overall, a surprisingly delicious and versatile beer. Nothing especially good, but way better than the summer shandy. This is a good gateway beer for BMC lovers.

2.33/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Finger and a half white head. Thick, but low retention. Light coppery color with very little clarity. Interesting looking beer.

S- Blackberries, raspberries, lemons. Smells like a pastry. Very sweet and fruity. No notes of hops or malts that I can detect though, which is unfortunate.

T- Berry flavors, lemon pledge and some caramel hops. Very fruity, no beer backbone to give it any umph. The syrupy flavors aren't helping.

M- Smooth, light and creamy. Not bad, but could be less syrupy.

O- Way too sweet for easy drinking.

2.71/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours clouded pink grapefruit-ish hued with a thin head that lasts. Some web-like lacing sticks.

The smell is of blackberry juice. Slightly tart.

The taste is of a blend of fruit juices, mostly notably, blackberry, raspberry and lemon. However, not the same way the real juices are - there is a plastic-like taste to it. A hint of tart keeps it from being as sweet as the fruit malt drinks, raising the score a tad for me. Still it is sweet.

The carbonation stays just under the "too fizzy" category. It is smooth - more from being watery than otherwise, though there is a malty touch to it.

Not a true shandy in my eyes, as there is a lack of "beer" qualities. Though, as stated above not sickly sweet as the fruit malt beverages. If you want a fruit juice brew, it's tolerable, I suppose. I raised the overall just a hair because it is what it is...(better than the berry weiss from what I remember).

2.38/5  rDev -22%

Served in a shaker pint glass.

Morbid curiosity got the better of me here. This stuff pours a cloudy pink-ish topped by about a finger or so of off-white foam. The nose comprises Country Time lemonade mix, light vague berry, and a touch of bubblegum. The taste reverses things a bit, focusing on the fake berry flavor (coming across as stale Crunchberries with a slightly bolder flavor), though the lemonade mix doesn't go away. Things are just too fake-tasting: hell, there's even a general sense of mild plastic in the background! The body is a hefty light, with a moderate carbonation and an airy finish. Overall, a pretty sad beer, one that takes an already un-good beer and twists it with more artificiality and whatnot to make it even worse.

3.57/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clean pinkish-amber, not clear, like a wheat beer. About two fingers of head that actually stayed for awhile. Wasn't expecting that.

S - Pink lemonade. Treading carefully at this stage in the game.

T - Primarily tastes of pink lemonade, with just a TOUCH of malt. It's in there to remind you it's a beer, because you might not know otherwise. But it works.

M - Slightly watery, but in a good way. Mostly because compared to Summer Shandy, it's much more mellow and the sweetness isn't thrown in your face. You won't involuntarily pucker from a cup of sugar in each beer like you probably do with Summer Shandy. Fair amount of fizz.

O - They made some efforts to remind you it's beer, because other than alcohol content and carbonation, it might not fit the bill. But that being said, it's nice...a bit of a novelty but I'd have one again. And smoother and less offensive than Summer Shandy.

3.6/5  rDev +18%

Eh, not bad.

I don't know how much this resembles a "beer", but it's an interesting consumption. The appearance is a pinkish-purpley color that is somewhat cloudy like wheat beers. The smell is right on with berries and lemon. Another reviewer said it smelled like household cleaner...and I don't get that aroma myself, but it has a lemon undertone. It surely doesn't smell like a beer. The taste is very light and refreshing. It starts off very sweet and ends lightly on the palate. The mouthfeel is crisp. It has about the same amount of carbonation on the tongue as some draft ciders.

Overall it's not too bad. I got a 12 pack on sale and I'm glad I tried it. I won't say it's one of my favorites, but it's pretty good. If you like "lighter" beers and enjoy fruity beers, then this one is for you. If you're a hard core "beer guy", then I'd say not so much.

It tastes more like berry-lemonade than beer...

3.6/5  rDev +18%

Lemon Berry Shandy pours an almost pink color, with a small disappearing head. There was a sweet sugary aroma, but not very pronounced. There was a very sweet taste, profound raspberry flavors, that blended with lemonade flavors, tasted like a raspberry lemonade, and also very carbonated, a yeasty taste mixed in throughout. Pronounced flavors, very carbonated, and pretty sweet. Overall I found this very interesting. Tasted more like a raspberry lemonade soda opposed to a beer, so might not be for everyone.

2.58/5  rDev -15.4%

From 9/22/12 Tasting Notes

Sampled this with my brother. (Spoiler Alert) Thank the Lord, because I would not want a whole bottle. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a 8 oz glass. This was served well chilled.

A) This is a pinkish brew, fairly similar in color to their Berry Weiss. There was about a finger of foam, that appeared to have a pinkish tint to it. No lacing noted...

S) The aroma was more like their Shandy, which is kind of a lemon household cleaner. The berries were noted, but pretty faint compared to the lemon.

T) This is pretty sweet and artificial. The berries are more prominent in the flavor than on the nose. There was something medicinal, it was a little like my kid's berry flavored ibuprofen. I mean, this definitely is beer, or at least kind of beer, but the flavor didn't work for me.

M) Light and quite a bit of carbonation, but that is what this beer calls for.

O) I know my ratings for the Shandy and Berry Weiss are slightly higher than average, but this combo does not work for me personally. Having said that, I can also see how this offering may be quite appealing to others. As for mixing Leinenkugel's beers, I much prefer the Berry and Honey Weiss combo. Nothing wrong with a refreshing honey bear on the patio.

3.3/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: pale pink hue, clearly a mixing of a golden wheat body with blackberry juice. Head is a thin finger of frothy white foam. I can't imagine what else this beer would look like with its ingredients, but the overall picture is somewhat sickly.

Smell: light wheaty aroma with a tart, fresh lemon scent. The berry is minimal. I guess it's not bad, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Taste: lemon, berry and wheat beer characteristics. Really, it is pretty refreshing, and while it may not be my favorite beer in the world, it is definitely as-advertised.

Mouthfeel: surprising! Light body but a good level of carbonation which is actually quite creamy, yet appropriate to the style. I like it.

Overall: this beer just falls a little flat for me. Sure, it is refreshing, but I don't want to drink any more of it.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

Leinie's Lemon Berry Shandy pours a hazy peach color with a surprisingly nice head. The aroma is ... you guessed it ... berries and lemon! The taste is also surprisingly good, I wasn't expecting to like this nearly as much as I do. It's got a tart berry flavor at first, and finishes with the trademark lemon and sweet wheat aftertaste. Refreshing and tasty, although relatively far removed from beer. The mouthfeel is light, highly carbonated, and slightly drying, and the drinkability is great. I could almost feel my credibility dropping as I started reviewing this beer. I'm a sucker for shandys, and a sucker for fruit beers. This one jumped right into my weak point. It's just a tasty beverage.

3.58/5  rDev +17.4%

16 ounce can, best before 11/26/2012. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a hazy orange/amber color with about an inch off-white head that stayed around for a while. There's also a good amount of lacing. It smells like blackberries and lemonade. It's not a bad smelling brew at all. It tastes like lemonade, blackberries and some grainy malt. Nice mix of sweet and tart flavors. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's refreshing and very easy to drink with a good amount of carbonation. I think it's a decent enough brew, it would be nice to drink on a hot day. $6.99 a 4-pack.

3.07/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz bottle poured into a Horny Goat pint glass.

Appearance- It is a hazy peach in color with cloudy 1 finger head that dissipates into a very tiny lining.

Smell- Pink lemonade.

Taste- Basically watered down pink lemonade.

Mouthfeel- Very watery and light.

Overall- Not as bad tasting as the summer shandy, also not as good as the Berry Weiss. Very watered down sweet beer. If it was summer this would be an ok option to quench my thirst, but nothing great when it comes to beer.

1.55/5  rDev -49.2%

Picked up a 4 pack to try. Summer isn't technically over and it's been in the 80's this week so was thinking would work well with the warmer weather. (Why they are releasing this beer this later in the year is beyond me but anyway....)

Heavy pour into a SA perfect pint glass left a 2 in head that dissipated quickly. What was left as color goes was as as close to what resembles a watered down pink lemonade as it could get and exactly what to be expected.

First sip impressions immediately made me imagine what carbonated watery cool-aid would taste like. Slight lemon with a mix of artificial "berry" flavor. Taste left the mouth quickly and mouthfeel was light, almost dry with a slight bitter aftertaste.

Overall, I am a lenie's fan, like a fruit beer once in a while and like most of what they have been releasing which includes the Big Eddy series. This beer however falls off the grid and can't imagine how this made it past the test batch phase.

3.4/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Poured out a clear, peach-color with pink highlights. It had a small, short-lived head that left minimal lacing.

S - It smelled fruity - lemon and black berry. Not much else.

T - Sweet and fruity with some zestiness. Nice blackberry and lemon flavors. Slightly tart.

M - It was crisp and very sharp. It had the high carbonation I expect in a shandy. A light bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is a nice shandy. Refreshing on a hot summer day.

3.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a really strange, yellow-ish, grapefruit tinted color, moderate haze and cloudiness; white foamy head sizzles like crazy and dissipates before almost quicker than it forms. The nose is a combination of sugary-sweet lemonade and a berry mix - I'm thinking raspberry or maybe blackberry (or maybe even both). Sweet and fruity, it smells like some kind of Kool-Aid mix that you had when you were a kid. Carbonation and crispiness is apparent on the nose, but not much in terms of malt or hops. I will say that this smells much better than Leinie's Summer Shandy, in which the lemon is too forced and artifical. Here, the lemon is more believable, probably because it's toned down and balanced by some other scents.

The beer has a wheat and grain base, very apparent from the first sip. It hits the palate thin and with great carbonation, leaving that crispy snap on your tongue. Some sweet lemon, raspberry, blackberry, some other berries I'm sure, touches of sugar. The fruity flavors don't exactly taste what I'd call "authentic", but at least they don't taste awful like other fruit beers with artificial flavoring. Many times, over-zealous fruit beers will have a medicial, chalky, and over-the-top forced flavor profile, but it's not so much the case here. The fruit is definitely the forefront (and almost the ONLY front), but it's not gagging me, which is a good start. The biggest complain here is obviously the fact that there isn't much else besides the fruit. A little bit of wheat and grain, but it's minimal, and the hops are no where to be found. At this point, why not just have a wine cooler?

Not exactly my style of beer. Lemon Berry Shandy doesn't have that authentic fruity finish like the top-notch fruit beers, but it's far from gross or off-putting. More so, it really just doesn't deliver what I'm looking for. It's not bad, and I could imagine it being ever better on a hot summer day after an afternoon of yardwork. But other than that, it doesn't have too much to offer. Lots better than the Summer Shandy, however.

3.67/5  rDev +20.3%

A-An amber blush with a fall like color pallet. Almost the color of roasted apples with a hint of pink. Nice head accompanied by descent pearling

S-Very fruity almost with a stronger blackberry smell and a subtle citrusy accent

T-Defiantly a wheat beer with a bright fruity favor.  There is a reasonable balance between the blackberry and the wheat flavor of the beer and the lemon seems a bit like an after though trying to pokes its head out. Not what I expected for a "Fall Shandy"

M-Very bubbly almost sparkling and very drinkable. Given the carbonation and fruity flavor it seems to me like a beer FMB hybrid.

O-It's a good beer but it's not something I would spend time savoring. This is one of those beers that is perfect to crack open after mowing the yard. I also find this to be a good gateway in to beer for those that think it is too bitter or that craft beers are unapproachable. Good for beginners!

I am glad that they are starting a seasonal shandy line and I can't wait for the next one.

3.68/5  rDev +20.7%

This new shandy from Leinenkugels pours a light bodied, very effervescent light and cloudy pink on color that turns to a hazy, pinkish orange as it pools with a one finger off white head. The nose is Country Time lemonade with a raspberry/blueberry type berry aroma. It's what I expected. The flavors are light and spritzy. It tastes like one of the craft sodas that you would find at World Market. It's light and lemony, decent flavor for a shandy. I would say the berry is an upgrade over the original. It's interesting that Leinenkugels saved this for fall. I'm sure they don't want the two to compete for affection but why not have two Shandys out on the market when the first sells very well.

3.99/5  rDev +30.8%

12 oz twist-off sample bottle poured into a Leinenkugel's imperial pint.
No info.

A - Pouring a hazy dried peach color, it's neither pink nor orange, but meeting somewhere in the middle. A tall crown of white foam caps the beer and, in thick layers, leaves lace clutching the pint as it sinks down.

S - Lemon Berry Shandy has the aroma of a mixed fruit drink, a wine cooler, something you'd crush, relaxing on the beach; blended lemonade, reminiscent of the "Olde Lemonade" stands at festivals with fresh lemons and chunky granules of sugar, and a touch of mixed berry kool-ade. It's got a blend of tart and sweet through the aroma, but definitely like it'll lean to the sweet side in flavor.

T - With total simplicity, Lemon Berry Shandy merges Berry Weiss with Summer Shandy, abandoning aggressive sweetness for a more balanced and drinkable flavor; artificial mixed berry flavors with a more realistic lemonade bite on the finish. Soft wheat and almost forgettable pale malt are barely touched on, begging the question, "is this even beer"?

M - Moderately high carbonation dances on the tongue as this light bodied beer smoothly slides from mouth to stomach. Crisp and refreshing, a lingering sweetness trails, followed by a subtle dry saltiness, begging for another sip.

O - Is this something I'd reach for often? Not so much, but when I'm in the liquor store on hot days, I get strange cravings for carbonated, alcoholic fruity drinks, and this fits the bill. This is the beer I'd be crushing, can after can of, at my uncle's lake house while relaxing under the hot sun. It's tasty, refreshing, and drinkable, but most importantly, mindless; I don't have to feel guilty about putting them back with total disregard. It's only there to fulfill my first three adjectives, nothing more, nothing less. If Leinie's Lemon Berry Shandy was a rock star, it would be the rock star getting all the ladies, all the time.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last