Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012

Ratings: 1,554 | Reviews: 264

I've tested over a dozen porters. This is the best hands down...

This has a sweet taste, but not too sweet. Doesn't have a bitter ash trey taste like some porters and goes down smooth. The consistency between the bottle and the tap is very close as well.

What is not to like. The vanilla is not over-powering, the color is spectacular and the taste can't be beat. Tonight I am going to be drinking a lot of this one! Anything Leinenkugel's makes is going to be awesome and this is no exception. I wish I was drinking this right now!

One of the best dark beers! !;¶ I miss you so very much Snowdrift come back soon:"(

4.99/5  rDev +46.8%

I create my account specifically for this beer.
I wish it wasn't a seasonal...

4.9/5  rDev +44.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Best beer I have had in a long time as good as yingling black and tan but with a vanilla hint and great price 7.99 to 8.99 I first tried it on tap and was very pleased from BWW bufflo wild wings after that I looked all over town to find it in the stores but only one place had it left end of season and man was it good on ice for one hour outside in the snow and went down nice and quick

4.9/5  rDev +44.1%

Fantastic beer. I highly recommend.

4.89/5  rDev +43.8%

This porter is one of my recent taste tests that really scored big. I usually don't like dark beers but have recently started to broaden my beer knowledge and tasting experience.

The beer has a dark cola like appearance when poured into a glass with a decent tan colored head. The smell has a coffee and chocolate blend. I don't smell the vanilla but it does come out in the taste.

I admit to not liking a beer with a hoppy taste. This is probably why I do like this beer, more flavor from malts and chocolate with a hint of vanilla. It is very smooth and easy to relax and drink.

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was really good smooth tasting.

4.65/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No head, deep, clear amber in color, very inviting. A flavored coffee with cream (which I love) aroma.
It has a rich, savory taste and strong coffee sort of hickory-vanilla smokey after taste. Has a slightly carbonated feeling in the mouth, smokey, smooth, with lots of body. Well bodied, taste keeps improving as the beer warms in the glass.

Tastes best from a rounded beer 'glass'.

I hope this beer is not going to be seasonal. It will be very missed if that is the case!

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

I had the chance to try this on tap a few nights ago, and it was excellent. The combination of sweetness and just the faintest bitter taste was worth every drop.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Very cozy, tasty porter. Recommend

4.43/5  rDev +30.3%

Pours a clear medium-dark brown with large tan head which dissipates fairly quickly. Aroma is initially vanilla that fades into a pleasant roasted malt with strong cocoa notes. Taste is vanilla, and sweet Mexican chocolate, very mild and smooth drinking. Aftertaste is like a store-bought chocolate cookie. Not an intense beer; very mellow and pleasant on the palate.

I had a case of this in my cooler at a neighborhood BBQ and it disappeared quickly.

4.39/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Great tasting and subtle vanilla flavor. Perfect for the season.

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this as a draft and cannot justify the look of the beer because I had it in a bar glass

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

poured bottle into stout glass

A- A nice dark porter with a reddish hue as light reflects and refracts through it. A brief light tan head appears and fades to a small island about the size of a quarter that floats in the center of my glass

S- A nice warm roasty smell with some aromas of vanilla. Just as expected. A little bit of a fruit smell. Perhaps plum? Not hoppy or over the top.

T- Some chocolate roasted malts and a hint of vanilla. Virtually no hops in the taste. I'm not a java head when it comes to beers so this is right up my alley as the roasted malt and coffee flavors are subdued and not very evident. This is a very good beer from the Leinenkugel's!

M- Rich, smooth, creamy medium bodied porter that is as easy to drink as an AAL, but with all the great flavors of a good dark ale.

O- I had this on tap at Bomber's Burritos in Schenectady last year and it paired well with my dinner. It was also good enough fro me to remember a year later as I saw this out and grabbed a bottle to refresh my memory. This is one of the best porters I have had. It is well balanced and easy to drink. It's low ABV makes it a great session ale and at around 15 bucks for a 12 pack, it's a steal! Try this beer if you like smooth, easy drinking stouts and porters.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

Another well made beer.. Nice and smooth.. Great vanilla flavor! And at 6% no alcohol detected. A winner.. And a great transition beer!

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

Pretty good, nice smooth bear with good taste

4.32/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

a little bit of everything, drink it warmer, it will open up more.

4.29/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Good flavor, but nothing special

4.27/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is underrated. Reviewers will bash it because it is from Leinenkugel (owned by miller) and because it has the word vanilla in the name.

This beer has a great roasted taste with just enough vanilla. Extremely smooth and easy to drink. Light to medium bodied which is what I really enjoy. There is no reason for this beer to be a charcoal dry, high gravity bomb. But thats what people want to see in order to give a good review. Shouldnt review like that. You should be reviewing it for what it is - a mild american porter with vanilla added. In that case, this is an excellent example.

Nice job miller

4.25/5  rDev +25%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Drank this straight out of the bottle. The smell of the beer is very soft and faint almost non existent. However that being said the taste more than makes up for it. This beer has such a great balance of malts and the sweetness of the vanilla. There is little no no bitterness and is unlike any other porter i have ever had. I really enjoyed this one and would definitely recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev +25%

A good beginners Porter. Easy to drink

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's nice looking. A bit light for my liking, think dark cola. But the head is an attractive shade of dark beige and lasts a good while. A finger and a half thick at the beginning eventually winds down to a thin cover, leaving a decent lace.

Mostly malt in the nose. As the bottle suggests, there's a splash of vanilla and coffee, but both are fairly repressed and play backup roles. As it warms, the chocolate finally comes through.

The taste is pretty special. The vanilla and coffee both are more aggressive. A combination of chocolate and caramel malt round out the taste.

Sweet and creamy, a modicum of bitter for balance. Smooth. Only more alcohol and thickness would increase the score.

This is a really good beer, especially in the cooler months. Overall, a porter than can stand up with almost any other I've had, and generally cheaper.

4.19/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the better porters I have had at this price range. Definitely something I would buy again. That said there are better ones out there. The only complaint I would have is that it has a bit of an aftertaste.

4.18/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nice dark beer. Enjoyed the hint of vanilla.

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company