Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla PorterLeinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012)

1.54/5  rDev -54.6%

Serious contender with Trout River Rainbow Stout as one of the worst beers I have ever had. I have been to Wisconsin several times and noted the popularity of Leinenkugels. For the life of me I cannot grasp the loyalty of the name vs the quality of the beer. Granted they have great graphics but the beer just plain sucks. There are a lot of short cuts here. If you want to make good beer in high volume, contact InBev and maybe they will show you how Budweiser does it.

1.65/5  rDev -51.3%

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark ruby red…it’s dark, but light does get through the center…light mocha colored head did form and a thin layer remained…after a couple of minutes though, all foam is gone and it looks old…(2.25/5)

Smell: Creamy, somewhat perfumy, vanilla right off the bat…caramel and roasted malts…too much vanilla smell in this one makes it feel cheap…(2/5)

Taste: Much like the nose, creamy vanilla right off the bat…it does have a bit of a stale taste to it that I don’t find particularly delectable…bourbon barrel flavor, toasted malts and mild hint of cocoa come out after initial creamy blast…after taste has a bit of that vanilla perfume predicted in the nose…(1.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…medium carbonation…does have a wet feel…(2.5/5)

Overall: I typically like porters, but this one feels cheaply done and a bit like a gag gift at Christmas…I didn’t buy this, so I don’t feel so bad dumping it out and looking for another option…NEXT! (0/5)

1.7/5  rDev -49.9%

Tastes a little bit like cough syrup.
You might wonder about the math that resulted in an overall score of 1.0, even though 3 of 4 scores were 3.0 and one was 1.0... This is because taste is more important than the other characteristics. And also because I don't know enough to accurately rate this beer's mouthfeel, and I didn't study it's appearance. How can you study a beer's appearance when it's in a brown bottle? Why pour the beer into a glass to review it, when the beer will be drank from a bottle almost all of time? I mean, who would make the extra effort to pour this disgusting beverage into a glass anyway? And even though other beers from this brewer are tolerable, I still don't think that the majority of them warrant the dirtying of a clean glass.
Well, there's my two cents. I just got home from Kroger and this was the first one that I tried from the seasonal variety pack. Moments later I was googling furiously to find out how I could share my disgust with the world, and just moments ago I created my first Beer Advocate account.
I kinda doubt that my impression is different from what your own would be, because I enjoy a wide range of beers from Coors Light to Sam Adams Boston Lager, and every draft stout or IPA that I've tried.

Bottom line: Avoid this beer (unless you have a cough, because something tells me it would work well for that).

1.75/5  rDev -48.4%