Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012

Reviews: 222 | Hads: 1,610
1.57/5  rDev -53.4%

Serious contender with Trout River Rainbow Stout as one of the worst beers I have ever had. I have been to Wisconsin several times and noted the popularity of Leinenkugels. For the life of me I cannot grasp the loyalty of the name vs the quality of the beer. Granted they have great graphics but the beer just plain sucks. There are a lot of short cuts here. If you want to make good beer in high volume, contact InBev and maybe they will show you how Budweiser does it.

1.68/5  rDev -50.1%

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark ruby red…it’s dark, but light does get through the center…light mocha colored head did form and a thin layer remained…after a couple of minutes though, all foam is gone and it looks old…(2.25/5)

Smell: Creamy, somewhat perfumy, vanilla right off the bat…caramel and roasted malts…too much vanilla smell in this one makes it feel cheap…(2/5)

Taste: Much like the nose, creamy vanilla right off the bat…it does have a bit of a stale taste to it that I don’t find particularly delectable…bourbon barrel flavor, toasted malts and mild hint of cocoa come out after initial creamy blast…after taste has a bit of that vanilla perfume predicted in the nose…(1.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…medium carbonation…does have a wet feel…(2.5/5)

Overall: I typically like porters, but this one feels cheaply done and a bit like a gag gift at Christmas…I didn’t buy this, so I don’t feel so bad dumping it out and looking for another option…NEXT! (0/5)

1.8/5  rDev -46.6%

Tastes a little bit like cough syrup.
You might wonder about the math that resulted in an overall score of 1.0, even though 3 of 4 scores were 3.0 and one was 1.0... This is because taste is more important than the other characteristics. And also because I don't know enough to accurately rate this beer's mouthfeel, and I didn't study it's appearance. How can you study a beer's appearance when it's in a brown bottle? Why pour the beer into a glass to review it, when the beer will be drank from a bottle almost all of time? I mean, who would make the extra effort to pour this disgusting beverage into a glass anyway? And even though other beers from this brewer are tolerable, I still don't think that the majority of them warrant the dirtying of a clean glass.
Well, there's my two cents. I just got home from Kroger and this was the first one that I tried from the seasonal variety pack. Moments later I was googling furiously to find out how I could share my disgust with the world, and just moments ago I created my first Beer Advocate account.
I kinda doubt that my impression is different from what your own would be, because I enjoy a wide range of beers from Coors Light to Sam Adams Boston Lager, and every draft stout or IPA that I've tried.

Bottom line: Avoid this beer (unless you have a cough, because something tells me it would work well for that).

1.93/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured into a shaker pint.

Transparent dark, dark brown with red highlights and a half finger of head.

Cream soda, black licorice and artificial raspberry.

Cream soda, artificial raspberry, black licorice and Splenda. Just the lightest dusting of cocoa. WTF is this? BLECH!

Light bodied and heavily carbonated.

This is bad. I don't think Leinenkugel's has any idea what a Porter is.

1.94/5  rDev -42.4%

Had this on tap at a pub that was out of stout. Think root beer; sweet, thin, limited cream- colored head that quickly dissipates with minimal lacing.

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

I bought this 1 hour ago at Wal-mart where the choice was really limited. It looked intriguing and the price was right, $11.50 for a twelver. I was hesitant because most beers by Leinenkugel are disappointing. I checked the reviews on Beeradvocate, and the consensus was drinkable to pretty good, so I picked up the twelver. I wished I had bought something else. Leinenkuge calls it a porter, but it tastes nothing like a porter. The taste is like caramelized water with a hint of vanilia. It sort of tastes like bitter root beer. This is my first review on Beeradvocate, and I am usually content with comparing my opinion to the reviews on this site, but my experience with this beer was so opposite of the other reviews that I felt compelled to post a review. I will not buy this beer again.

2.18/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

A. It is basically black but there is a hint of lint toward the bottom that gives of a slight red color. It has a two-finger tan foamy head that dissipates quickly, no lacing.

S. It has a metallic scent. Malty.

T/M. It is very malty with a weird, weird sweetness. I'm guessing because of the style it's some sort of vanilla, but it is off. A bit of coffee and chocolate underneath. Smooth and medium to light bodied.

O. Tastes like an off-Sam Adams Winter. Not very appealing.

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

Taste starts off creamy with a touch of coffee, but goes south fast with a fake vanilla candy. There's a weird long orange aftertaste that reminds me of those chocolate oranges you get around the holidays. Other qualities are all okay: no bad smells or textures. Just the cloyingly sweet fake vanilla ruined it for me.

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

nothing good to say here as i was told its a water down version of ___ just because it it has vanilla doesnt make it drinkable everybody yearns for winter bourbon cask ale and no beer can ever compare to that so grab this beer if you like vanilla it packs no punch and lacks the color of porter

2.26/5  rDev -32.9%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark red color. This one definitely isn't perfectly opaque by any means. The head is a one finger light mocha shade that fades quickly to a thin collar around the ring of the glass. Lacing is minimal.

S: Unimpressive. Slight vanilla-esque cream soda notes and a bit of hazelnut...and that's it.

T: Again, tons of vanilla and cream soda seem to dominate (inasmuch as it's the strongest flavor note), while the only hint of this being a dark beer is slight hazelnut on the back end. I can tell after the first sip the sweetness will really wear on me hard. But the worst part? The sweetness gradually shifts into a chemical sensation that's kind of unpleasant.

M: This features honest-to-God sugar burn, caused by the huge lingering sweetness and syrupy finish. Even worse is the intense carbonation, which creates an even harsher mouthfeel.

O: Even as a dessert beer, I'd call this one a mild failure. As a porter, it's more or less a total failure. The only thing it really has going for it is drinkability - if only to get the chemical aftertaste off of the palate as soon as possible. No regrets getting a single bottle (a tick is a tick, damnit), but I don't need to ever have this again.

2.27/5  rDev -32.6%

A - Deep ruby, nearly black, tan head has zero retention and zero lace.

S/T - A touch of vanilla, then some creamed coffee roast, chocolate, grain husk. Simple, straightforward. No real off-flavors except for a touch of metallic.

M - Medium/light body, way too high spritzy carbonation. Thin, watery, with not a clean finish.

O - Ehh.. beef up the consistency and tone down the carb, then it might be average.

2.33/5  rDev -30.9%

Dark red but mostly transparent when held to light. Descent head on the pour but weak retention and no lacing.

Smell is mild roasted with strong vanilla extract.

Some roasted character, mostly toast, and overwhelming vanilla flavor. Sweet overall. Unbalanced with weak malt and too much vanilla.

Light to medium bodied and overly carbonated. Needs more texture.

Subpar for a porter. Weak malt character and body with excess vanilla.

2.36/5  rDev -30%

A: typical porter appearance, black as night, no transparency, creates about 1/2-1 fingers worth of head formation that is off-white to slight tan in color.

S: smokey, slight coffee presence, touch of vanilla of sweetness, i pick up on some grain as well. not that appealing.

T: sweet malt and vanilla are strong in this one. i pick up on some brown sugar as well with a slight coffee presence.

M: very light, actually too light. water, doesn't leave much on the palate. other than an artificial sweet tasted

O: it sounded interesting, but really isnt. much too light, not enough porter qualities in my opinion. just a fake sweetness that is quite unappealing.

2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

Initially, it pours a very thin head of about half a finger, which dissipates quickly leaving moderate lacing. The look is a deep, dark, brownish-black with just a tint of red when it catches the light. The nose is deceptive and it doesn’t hold much of a smell when compared to its strong taste. A malty porter with a complicated palate but a lingering cocoa after taste that is reminiscent of a dark chocolate candy bar. I really like the way a vanilla-coffee flavor bursts at first taste followed by the overbearing cocoa finish to really add a varied taste experience. The Snowdrift holds a slight bitterness to it, almost like coffee and the mouthfeel is strongly carbonated but smooth. This is a bit more on the darker and bitterer side than most beers but pretty standard for a porter. It warms the drinker and is perfect for enjoying on a snowy winter night while cozied up in a ski chalet somewhere.

2.45/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured into a nonic at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A one finger head that has poor retention. The head is ivory in color, foamy, and creamy. The color of the beer is dark brown, like used motor oil; however, dark reddish hues glisten from the light. The clarity of the beer is opaque with some carbonation bubble visible from the side of the glass.

Nose: Deep roasted malt with acrid aromas followed by toffee, kettle caramel, and grain. The vanilla is faint with a leather tone, faint sugar and grass.

Taste: The malt is roasted with a burnt acrid overtone with some toffee, and kettle caramel. The vanilla once again is faint with a a leather tone, faint sugar, grass, and herbal note.

The mouth feel of the beer is slightly astringent. thin, and carbonated.

The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium. I really hate to say this but this porter is below average. The flavors are not uniformed, the vanilla is playing peek a boo with the taste bud. I have had some better porter. I wish Leinenkugel would try to put more effort in making higher quality beer instead of a Henry Ford assembly line.

2.46/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a deep reddish brown. A half finger of beige head that quickly dissipates. No lacing.

Weird smells coming from this one. I pick up the vanilla that gives it the name but I'm also getting sarsaparilla, chocolate, and an artificial sweetness nose.

The taste follows with vanilla, root beer, chocolate and and ginger snap. Generally I like all of these things but not mixed together and in beer form. It's a refreshing attempt at something new from Leinie's but there's a bit too much going on here.

Good, creamy mouthfeel with ample carbonation. If the taste hadn't ruined the beer, the mouthfeel would be the perfect way to finish off a solid porter.

Overall, nowhere near one of my favorite porters. I commend them for branching out of their normal offerings but there are too many flavors fighting each other in this beer and a lot of them have an artificial taste to them.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is good if you are into Vanilla. Since I am not that into Vanilla I can only say that the beer was ok. I am glad it was given to me in a mixed 6.

2.51/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured into pint glass, allowed to warm for a few minutes.

Decent looking beer, nice dark brown with a present but thin and fading creamy head, some lacing.
Aroma hints at the coming vanilla bomb, but does have nice chocolate malt underlinings.
Taste was a bit to sweet for my liking, but I can see many liking this brew.
Light mouthfeel lead to an overall easy drinking and enjoyable beer.

Not bad, not great, pretty much standard Leinenkugel fare.

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance - Dark cola brown. Appears clear. Medium tall tan head with good retention.

Smell - Dark malt. Only moderately strong chocolate, coffee, raisin. Maybe a hint of vanilla, but maybe I'm just being suggestible.

Taste - Seems pretty light for style. A burnt chocolate dominates. Some pretty prominent sweet vanilla.

Mouthfeel - Light-medium. Dry.

Overall - Sounds like a better idea than it tastes.

2.6/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark ruby red that looks like black. Khaki head that disappears quickly. Hardly any lacing. Smells of vanilla extract and coffee beans. Taste follows the smell but is very weak. Feels very light. I think it's a porter for people that don't like craft beer. If you have actually had a legit porter you'd probably think this is like "porter light". Sorry to be pretentious but it wasn't great. I'd drink it for free but wouldn't pay for it.

2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

Glad this one was a gift from bzach, as I surely wouldn't buy another. Pours a deep, dark ruby. Thick head of quickly-dissipating fizzy tan bubbles. No lace.

Nose says chocolate, cocoa nibs, and maybe a hint of vanilla. Actually it's more like a vanilla Coke. Weird.

Taste is equally like a vanilla Coke, with an odd artificial sweetness. The finish shows this best of all. Not good, At all.

2.67/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Quarter-inch mocha-colored head. Deep, dark colored body. Some thin, soapy lacing.

S- Chocolate, roast malts, vanilla. Cold and crisp smelling.

T- Bland porter tastes. Vanilla, chocolate. Not bad, but meh.

M- Lighter feel, wet finish.

O- Forgettable beer.

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Gift of a friend, 12oz Bottle.

Poured dark brown forming a light brownish fizzy head fading quickly (<1min) without any retention and no lacing.
N - Upfront, nose is mettalic and malty. Roasted grains and faint caramel. Vanilla is present but far less than expected but reveals itself when warming up a bit. Unfortunatly it feels artificial. Nuts tone a the very end.
M - Immediate fealing is about the fizzy carbonation wich is very present and intense on tongue. It surprised me for a porter. Mouth is thin, lacking of substance wich is in contrast of the nose, even watery, diluted. Bitternes is low. Taste of cereals, bitter chocolate, faint nuts and diluted bitter black coffee.

Overall, this beer gives me a fealing of artificially flavored brew, remenicent for me of the ROGUE'S Hazalnut Brown Nectar. Even if porters are far from my favorite beer, I think that this one is an ordinary exemple of its kind. I Won't buy if I came across. Too bad!

2.69/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

My buddy unwittingly ordered this after hearing the buzzwords "vanilla porter". I have to admit, my interest was piqued as well, but experience told me not to expect much from Leinenkugel's. I even told the poor bastard it would probably be fruity! After he ordered of course. I just had to see how this played out.

First words out of his mouth: "Wow, you're right, this does taste fruity. Almost orangey. Like good minute maid fruit punch. Not the cheap shit."

Understandably, I had to try it.

Look - 2.5/5: You call this a porter? My Long Trail IPA is darker than this! I can see through it! I didn't even order the damn beer and I feel duped already.

Smell - 3.5/5: Candy! This was a weird one. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's some kind of cheap vanilla-y sugar sweet candy aroma. Actually not that bad and the high point of this beer.

Taste - 2.5/5: More of the same. Except it's far less enjoyable on the tongue. Is this even beer? In a blind taste test, you would've had me fooled. Not about the style, but about the fact that this is a goddamn beer. Soda up front, soda though the middle, hints of beer on the finish. Bizarre. Fun to smell, questionable to drink.

Feel - 2.75/5: Thin. It had more of a beer mouthfeel than soda, but still nothing to write home about. Loses a quarter point because it didn't feel like the soda I was drinking.

Overall - 2.25/5: Disappointing, to say the least. But am I surprised? No, I was just curious how badly they'd screw up a porter, and they at least did that quite well. I have no problems with the beer you're making, just don't market it as something beer fans would enjoy. Because it's not beer.

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle. Deep clear ruby with a fizzy head of light mocha froth. Retention and lacing are poor with this eventually going pretty dead looking in the glass. Smells of cocoa, vanilla, acrid roast and some green citrus. The taste is cocoa, vanilla and a little toffee sweetness. Same acrid and burnt roastiness as the nose. A tingle of green hops runs down the center. The feel is lighter to medium bodied with a too thin and astringent presence in the mouth. Just a touch of sharpness at least adds a little something to this. This was a pretty weak Porter in all categories and I just didn’t care for it a whole lot. Next…

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company