Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012

Reviews: 218 | Hads: 1,556
3.1/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Really dark brown, almost black with a creamy off-white head. Smells like a pretty average porter, it also tastes like a pretty average porter. Did not taste like a "Vanilla Porter" in my opinion (195 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black with a off white head
mouthfeel is sweet and heavy
flavor is very malty with a nice vanilla aftertaste
overall it is a great effort in Leiny's stable of flavored beers. It is a good representation of porter style. Not an everyday beer but it is something I make a point to have a few of every winter. (307 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed from the 12 oz bottle in a pint glass. This nice porter pours a medium dark brown with red tinges, a nice frothy light tan head, and decent lacing. Nose is pretty light, but there are chocolate and vanilla notes in there blending with dark malts. Flavors follow the nose with chocolate to the front, vanilla and chocolate to the sides, and a light grain flavor rounding it out. Very reminiscent of Creamy Dark with a bit more emphasis on the chocolate and vanilla. Moderate carbonation and a sweet aftertaste makes this a good beginners brew to get them into the darker stuff. Solid.

Cheers (605 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark brown color pours a bubbly fleeting head. Light vanilla on the nose with some dry chocolate malt undertones.

Light vanilla sweetness with a dry chocolate malt, not much else but not offensive. I get some brownie batter later as the vanilla becomes more prominent. Typical Leinenkugels beer with significant weakness but decent taste. (339 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Working on my second 12 oz bottle poured into a glass. The beer is more chocolate tasting than vanilla honestly, with hints of coffee. Has a malty sweetness that drowns out any alcohol taste. But at 6% it warms you up. I bought it because I have to scoop snow today, so I thought I'd buy this Snowdrift Vanilla Porter to help me out. :-)

I have never known Leinenkugel to make a bad beer, and this is no exception. However there are probably better options for porter/stout beer fans. So I gave it a 3.75 all around. If this was a beer someone homebrewed, it would be incredible, but I expect more from large breweries. (620 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a very pretty, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a half of a finger of caramel-colored head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that almost completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Some roasted malt, notes of dark bread, a little smoke, some caramel, but nowhere near as much vanilla as I was expecting. A little disappointing.

Taste: A little disappointing here too. Some nice roasted malt flavors, accented with just a touch of smoke, followed by some caramel-like sweetness and just a faint touch of vanilla, but not enough in my opinion, especially, as it’s billed as a vanilla porter. No presence of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied to slightly chewy, and pretty smooth as it’s got very little carbonation. With an ABV of 6.0%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: As I said above, this beer is a little disappointing, in that there is nowhere near the amount of vanilla present that I believe there should be. As a regular porter, it’s pretty decent, possessing some good roasted malt and slight smoke flavors balanced with some nice caramel-like sweetness, but as its advertised as a vanilla porter, and because it has very little vanilla in it, I find it to be very disappointing. If I’m in the mood for a vanilla porter, I’ll grab either the one made by Breckenridge or Ballast Point’s Victory at Sea, both of which are infinitely better beers. (1,485 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Cleaning out the fridge, had one of these leftover. Poured in a pint glass,
Look; dark ruby, after head packed its bags looks like root beer
Smell: roasted vanilla, hints of chocolate and caramel
Taste: vanilla throughout and a roastiness after awhile, medium bodied and pretty smooth
Mouthfeel: thin, not as heavy as expected
Overall: great dessert beer in the colder months, lives up to its name. Would suggest to any vanilla fan (431 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the better porters I have had at this price range. Definitely something I would buy again. That said there are better ones out there. The only complaint I would have is that it has a bit of an aftertaste. (219 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -42.8%

Had this on tap at a pub that was out of stout. Think root beer; sweet, thin, limited cream- colored head that quickly dissipates with minimal lacing. (150 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Beautiful color and I thought it smelled great with a very explicit vanilla flavor (duh). The taste was just fine, while not being particularly complex. The moderately high carbonation set me off however.

I could definitely see myself buying this beer for someone who might not be into porters at all as it is a nice segway beer. However, I probably won't get it for myself anytime soon. (389 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

My buddy unwittingly ordered this after hearing the buzzwords "vanilla porter". I have to admit, my interest was piqued as well, but experience told me not to expect much from Leinenkugel's. I even told the poor bastard it would probably be fruity! After he ordered of course. I just had to see how this played out.

First words out of his mouth: "Wow, you're right, this does taste fruity. Almost orangey. Like good minute maid fruit punch. Not the cheap shit."

Understandably, I had to try it.

Look - 2.5/5: You call this a porter? My Long Trail IPA is darker than this! I can see through it! I didn't even order the damn beer and I feel duped already.

Smell - 3.5/5: Candy! This was a weird one. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's some kind of cheap vanilla-y sugar sweet candy aroma. Actually not that bad and the high point of this beer.

Taste - 2.5/5: More of the same. Except it's far less enjoyable on the tongue. Is this even beer? In a blind taste test, you would've had me fooled. Not about the style, but about the fact that this is a goddamn beer. Soda up front, soda though the middle, hints of beer on the finish. Bizarre. Fun to smell, questionable to drink.

Feel - 2.75/5: Thin. It had more of a beer mouthfeel than soda, but still nothing to write home about. Loses a quarter point because it didn't feel like the soda I was drinking.

Overall - 2.25/5: Disappointing, to say the least. But am I surprised? No, I was just curious how badly they'd screw up a porter, and they at least did that quite well. I have no problems with the beer you're making, just don't market it as something beer fans would enjoy. Because it's not beer. (1,670 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -17.1%

Tasted from draft pour. The feel of this beer was water-like: thin, unsatisfying, and pretty much lifeless. I was supremely disappointed. Would never consider it again. (169 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a chilled pint glass.

A - black, head was billowy, thick and tan, dissipated quickly.
S - vanilla hits you first, then as it warms, hints of roastiness and toffee emerge. The vanilla is not overpowering, very balanced.
T - You get the vanilla up front, then gives away to a roasty astringency. Everything is in balance. Nothing dominates.
F- medium carbonation. body is light, too thin in my opinion (as are most Leinie's beers).
O-a very sessionable beer, well balanced, unlike some of the other vanilla brews out there. If it had more body, and maybe a little more toffee in the flavor profile, this could be a winner. (654 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz screw-cap Leinenkugel bottle served in pint glass. Low expectations from me here, tbh. Aroma is of vanilla candy -- not the good kind, the cheap stuff. Color is dark brown and opaque and supports a little brown head. Yeah, really this just smells like vanilla flavored beer. Flavor comes across a bit better. The vanilla note is significantly more palatable on the tongue. It's mild and complements the malt bill pretty well, actually. The carbonation is fine but sharp. Overall I'm more impressed with this than I expected, it's drinkable though neither a great example of vanilla flavored ale nor a great beer overall. But it's no Leinenkugel nut brown.

Update: I read online that Snowdift is in fact the *replacement* for Fireside Nut Brown -- a merciful coup! (779 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The vanilla could be more authentic, and the malt base isn't quite dark enough, but it's not bad for a Leinenkugel's brew at this price point. Somewhat inexpressive, plain, and shallow, but above average and drinkable.

Declines severely with age.

C+ (251 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark ruby red that looks like black. Khaki head that disappears quickly. Hardly any lacing. Smells of vanilla extract and coffee beans. Taste follows the smell but is very weak. Feels very light. I think it's a porter for people that don't like craft beer. If you have actually had a legit porter you'd probably think this is like "porter light". Sorry to be pretentious but it wasn't great. I'd drink it for free but wouldn't pay for it. (446 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%

Dark Reddish brown color with light brown big bubbled head that fizzes off quickly leaving a light rim

Lots of vanilla bean smell with a lightly roasted coffee smell lingering in the background.

It had a light vanilla taste along with some coffee and malt. It was a fairly balanced beer, but it felt like something was missing to give me something to remember it.

The feel was pretty light with a large amount of carbonation. It still went down smooth, but there just wasn't much to this beer for what you would expect coming from the name. (545 characters)

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter brewed by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, with an ABV of 6.0% This brew pours out dark brown color with a nice off white head. Snowdrift Vanilla Porter has the look of cola, not saying that's a bad thing. The smell is rich with malts and grains. You also pick up on a hit of vanilla. Now for the taste, it is bold with flavor. You also pick up on tossed malts and grains. There is also a mild vanilla sweetness at the end. Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter has a lot going on. The mouthfeel is bold but smooth. There is nothing overpowering in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. Overall I'm giving Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter a 4 out 5. Nothing bad about this brew. I would buy this brew again. Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company did a nice job with this brew. (833 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tap

Pours a dark clear brown, tan lacing.

Smells of roasted malts and leather.

Tastes of vanilla and orange peel with a hint of cinnamon.

Medium body with a light tingly carbonation.

Good aroma, average appearance and funky flavor. Not enjoyable honestly. (261 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is definitely not the greatest porter in the world, and I agree with others that it is fairly watery, and that means the taste comes off muted, but the vanilla sweetness is not bad, and overall, I would say that this is an acceptable beer. I would drink it again if I didn't have better choices. (301 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Leinenkugel should re-evaluate and rename this brew 'Snowdrift Cocoa Porter'. Albeit present, the vanilla is over-dominated with the cocoa and coffee flavors. There is very little vanilla fragrance to boot.

Still an enjoyable, affordable beer, that is an honest Porter. (272 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Part of a great sampler pack found at the local supermercado, containing actually four brews of which I have tried none! That said let's give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a deep roasted waft with vanilla undertones. Pours into the SAPP to an opaque motor oil color with a twofinger tan head that recedes to one finger. On the taste the brew starts with a toasted flavor very quickly followed by a sweet and barky vanilla stomp. Mouthfeel seems a bit thin and the vanilla a bit overpowering, making it taste more like a Mr. Pibb than a vanilla flavored porter. Much too sweet without any pronouned bite to take the edge off. Might taste better as a hot toddy. (670 characters)

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company. Poured from the bottle into a glass, this brew's head is 1/2 finger thick and lumpier soapy carbonation , minimal lacing, and a very dark blackish brown body. I wish this had more depth of lacing.

I smell very richly roasted and caramelized malts. Not very much vanilla in the scent category. None, really.

The taste is mostly more of a traditional porter, with the vanilla taste simply making a guest appearance towards the end. And, yes, I can taste the orange flavor. This would be great without all of these other unnecessary tastes in the mix.

This particular mouthfeel is not thick or chewy by any standards. I like that, along with not having a lingering aftertaste.

Overall, I'll give a 4 for Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company. This,again, would have been just fine, if not, better with the basic techniques. I probably won't get this again (989 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

Taste starts off creamy with a touch of coffee, but goes south fast with a fake vanilla candy. There's a weird long orange aftertaste that reminds me of those chocolate oranges you get around the holidays. Other qualities are all okay: no bad smells or textures. Just the cloyingly sweet fake vanilla ruined it for me. (318 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a really interesting vanilla bean aroma with malt mixed into the smell.
Appearance- Has a great reddish tint with a very small white head.
Taste- You can taste the vanilla and malt, I really enjoyed it.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with light carbonation. It had an oily texture and didn't have an aftertaste.
Overall- An interesting beer, I liked it. I don't think I could sit and pound them one after another but it has a really good unique flavor. (509 characters)

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company