Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla PorterLeinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012)
View: Beers (34) |  Events

11-11-2012 23:31:20 | More by D-Money
RJLarse

Washington

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

I bought a six-pack of Snowdrift Vanilla Porter in a grocery store. $6.49. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a black walnut color, translucent, with a modest tan head.

Smell is faint, coffee and chocolate aromas for the most part.

Taste is decidedly vanilla and coffee or mocha up front, and a bitter licorice flavor on the finish.

Mouthfeel is fairly light for the style, with a clean not cloying finish.

Overall a good porter, especially at this price point. I recently brewed a vanilla spiced porter and at last tasting it was still a bit cider-like. I'd have been happy if it turned out like Snowdrift.

11-11-2012 23:24:59 | More by RJLarse

Joeyuwp

11-10-2012 19:59:39 | More by Joeyuwp
papa_swearingen

2.65/5  rDev -21.6%

Me no likey. I find the vanilla to be extremely bitter and 'dirty'. The vanilla leads to coffee and cocoa flavors, both of which are what are causing the bitter I think. This is especially noticeable if you take a sip and let the aftertaste develop for a few minutes. I'm pretty disappointed in this one... Leiny's has been known to lay an egg from time to time and I think this is one them. While drinking it, or forcing it down, I kept looking to see if it was almost gone because I was sick of it. I'm guessing Breckenridge is a better bet. The mouthfeel is good and its smooth going down, but I just can't get passed the aftertaste. I'm gonna go brush my teeth now.

11-10-2012 19:47:04 | More by papa_swearingen
1Nrwyscotch

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Served from tap into a pint glass.

Appearance:. The appearance was very dark bown with a halve a fingers worth of a light brown head.

Smell: Upon arrival I smelled vanilla, a suprising amount of vanilla. I had trouble picking up any other aromas because of the vanilla.

Taste: It tasted better than the vanilla smell, it was sweet and easy drinking with vanilla, caramel and chocolate flavors coming out.

mouthfeel: The beer appears like it should be heavier than it is. It is a light to medium bodied.

Overall: If you are a fan of vanilla then this may be the beer for you. It was a tad sweet but very drinkable and while I would try this again I would not go out of my way to get it.

11-10-2012 19:27:33 | More by 1Nrwyscotch
cfpct

2.13/5  rDev -37%

I bought this 1 hour ago at Wal-mart where the choice was really limited. It looked intriguing and the price was right, $11.50 for a twelver. I was hesitant because most beers by Leinenkugel are disappointing. I checked the reviews on Beeradvocate, and the consensus was drinkable to pretty good, so I picked up the twelver. I wished I had bought something else. Leinenkuge calls it a porter, but it tastes nothing like a porter. The taste is like caramelized water with a hint of vanilia. It sort of tastes like bitter root beer. This is my first review on Beeradvocate, and I am usually content with comparing my opinion to the reviews on this site, but my experience with this beer was so opposite of the other reviews that I felt compelled to post a review. I will not buy this beer again.

11-10-2012 18:18:55 | More by cfpct
hockey23kp

4.75/5  rDev +40.5%

11-10-2012 04:25:21 | More by hockey23kp
hays23

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour looked really good. Nice and dark with a little bit of opacity, but not much. It had a solid head for a porter, but it dissipated quickly. The smell wasn't very strong. It was hard to distinguish any particular flavor from the aroma. The taste has hints of vanilla that last after the swallow. Overall its a pretty solid beer, but nothing really special. I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again, but I wouldn't make it a point either.

11-10-2012 03:00:43 | More by hays23

11-08-2012 04:37:57 | More by CWhite
fallopia

Indiana

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an ale glass.

Appearance: Nearly opaque, dark brown color with a brief, tan head

Aroma: Traditional flavors of malt, toffee, chocolate, and burnt toast

Flavor: The burnt toast flavor is a bit overpowering. Backs up the aroma with coffee and vanilla flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with very little aftertaste that makes it surprisingly drinkable.

Overall, this was an enjoyable traditional porter whose hints of vanilla didn't quite back up the feature billing on the label.

11-08-2012 04:09:45 | More by fallopia
sardonicone

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%

I used to be a pretty big fan of Lennies a few years back. It was my first foray into "craft" style beers, and at the time I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. The years have come and gone, but every now and then I like to go back to Lenny and see what they have to offer.

12 oz Bottle poured into standard 16 oz tumbler (I need more glassware, I know).

A: Pour produced a single finger's worth of a beige head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing at all. Beer itself is a dark brown with no differentiation or particulates, and is slightly translucent when held to the light.

S: Upon first sniff your hit with the vanilla upfront, followed by mellow coffee notes with a hint of caramel. Some sort of grain residue hangs on at the end, giving it more of a standard "beer" smell. For the most part though it's more like a Vanilla Caramel Latte than anything else.

T: Upon sampling, hit with a dark roasted coffee taste, with hints of sugar cane and vanilla. Slightly nutty, bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied mouth-feel with normal feeling tingle of carbonation. Easy enough to swallow down with no backbite or burn.

O: It's not a bad drink by any stretch of the imagination. There isn't anything offensive here, but nothing stands out either. Would I drink again? Sure, but I don't see myself ever making another purchase.

11-07-2012 03:03:55 | More by sardonicone