Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla PorterLeinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheSixthRing on 11-03-2012)
3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Laurenessa, Nov 11, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

jbierling, Nov 11, 2012

Kunstman, Nov 11, 2012

Joeyuwp, Nov 10, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -21.1%

Me no likey. I find the vanilla to be extremely bitter and 'dirty'. The vanilla leads to coffee and cocoa flavors, both of which are what are causing the bitter I think. This is especially noticeable if you take a sip and let the aftertaste develop for a few minutes. I'm pretty disappointed in this one... Leiny's has been known to lay an egg from time to time and I think this is one them. While drinking it, or forcing it down, I kept looking to see if it was almost gone because I was sick of it. I'm guessing Breckenridge is a better bet. The mouthfeel is good and its smooth going down, but I just can't get passed the aftertaste. I'm gonna go brush my teeth now.

papa_swearingen, Nov 10, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -8.3%

Served from tap into a pint glass.

Appearance:. The appearance was very dark bown with a halve a fingers worth of a light brown head.

Smell: Upon arrival I smelled vanilla, a suprising amount of vanilla. I had trouble picking up any other aromas because of the vanilla.

Taste: It tasted better than the vanilla smell, it was sweet and easy drinking with vanilla, caramel and chocolate flavors coming out.

mouthfeel: The beer appears like it should be heavier than it is. It is a light to medium bodied.

Overall: If you are a fan of vanilla then this may be the beer for you. It was a tad sweet but very drinkable and while I would try this again I would not go out of my way to get it.

1Nrwyscotch, Nov 10, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

I bought this 1 hour ago at Wal-mart where the choice was really limited. It looked intriguing and the price was right, $11.50 for a twelver. I was hesitant because most beers by Leinenkugel are disappointing. I checked the reviews on Beeradvocate, and the consensus was drinkable to pretty good, so I picked up the twelver. I wished I had bought something else. Leinenkuge calls it a porter, but it tastes nothing like a porter. The taste is like caramelized water with a hint of vanilia. It sort of tastes like bitter root beer. This is my first review on Beeradvocate, and I am usually content with comparing my opinion to the reviews on this site, but my experience with this beer was so opposite of the other reviews that I felt compelled to post a review. I will not buy this beer again.

cfpct, Nov 10, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +41.4%

hockey23kp, Nov 10, 2012
3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Pour looked really good. Nice and dark with a little bit of opacity, but not much. It had a solid head for a porter, but it dissipated quickly. The smell wasn't very strong. It was hard to distinguish any particular flavor from the aroma. The taste has hints of vanilla that last after the swallow. Overall its a pretty solid beer, but nothing really special. I wouldn't hesitate to drink it again, but I wouldn't make it a point either.

hays23, Nov 10, 2012

4.75/5  rDev +41.4%

Waymore, Nov 08, 2012

CWhite, Nov 08, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into an ale glass.

Appearance: Nearly opaque, dark brown color with a brief, tan head

Aroma: Traditional flavors of malt, toffee, chocolate, and burnt toast

Flavor: The burnt toast flavor is a bit overpowering. Backs up the aroma with coffee and vanilla flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with very little aftertaste that makes it surprisingly drinkable.

Overall, this was an enjoyable traditional porter whose hints of vanilla didn't quite back up the feature billing on the label.

fallopia, Nov 08, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -0.9%

I used to be a pretty big fan of Lennies a few years back. It was my first foray into "craft" style beers, and at the time I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. The years have come and gone, but every now and then I like to go back to Lenny and see what they have to offer.

12 oz Bottle poured into standard 16 oz tumbler (I need more glassware, I know).

A: Pour produced a single finger's worth of a beige head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing at all. Beer itself is a dark brown with no differentiation or particulates, and is slightly translucent when held to the light.

S: Upon first sniff your hit with the vanilla upfront, followed by mellow coffee notes with a hint of caramel. Some sort of grain residue hangs on at the end, giving it more of a standard "beer" smell. For the most part though it's more like a Vanilla Caramel Latte than anything else.

T: Upon sampling, hit with a dark roasted coffee taste, with hints of sugar cane and vanilla. Slightly nutty, bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied mouth-feel with normal feeling tingle of carbonation. Easy enough to swallow down with no backbite or burn.

O: It's not a bad drink by any stretch of the imagination. There isn't anything offensive here, but nothing stands out either. Would I drink again? Sure, but I don't see myself ever making another purchase.

sardonicone, Nov 07, 2012

dorkinajeep, Nov 06, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Purple-black with garnet highlights. Huge rocky head stands at four fingers but doesn't last as long as some. Decent lace with this beige head.

S - Milk chocolate, coffee with vanilla creamer. Hint of charcoal.

T - Super sweet milk chocolate without much hop presence. Moderate roasty-ness and coffee flavors, but this is far too sweet and sugary.

M - Light in body, but some creaminess is there. A hint of roasted grain is left after swallowing.

This is a good beer for the price, and it's nice that it comes in cans, but it's relatively boring and way too sweet.

pmcadamis, Nov 06, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Deschutes tulip

A - Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a thin 1/2 finger of light brown head. No real lacing left as it quickly fades away.

S - Has a traditional porter aroma. Roasted malts, some slight toffee and burnt notes . Maybe a hint of vanilla, but it's very faint.

T/M - Vanilla is more assertive in the taste for sure. A very nice, soft vanilla flavor, almost comparable to that of a vanilla coke. Along with the burnt, roasty malts this porter is pretty tasty. Medium slightly thin mouthfeel.

O - A very descent offering from Leinenkugel's. I'm always kinda sketchy about any beer with a twist top, but this one exceeded my low expectations. Very easy drinkability, and pretty tasty. Not too cloyingly sweet

Rizalini, Nov 06, 2012