Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Kölsch |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Lemke10 on 01-17-2013

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Leinie's specialty beers have always been hit or miss for me, and I wasn't going to try the Canoe Paddler Kölsch because there are so many better of the style out there, but the sixer I grabbed had a decent price so I gave it a go.

A -- Very good appearance, clear golden with a long-lasting, off-white head.

S -- Ever so vague spicy noble hops, maybe some light DMS with enough agitation.

T -- Graininess up front, maybe a touch of that rye they're talking about, mildly bitter back with some light breadiness and graininess in the finish that fades fast.

M -- Mouthfeel is light and spritzy with a light body and clean finish.

O -- Overall, I have to wonder what this would taste like side-by-side with Leinie's Original. It has a little more character than most American Adjunct Lagers, but not as much as some of the better Kölsch style beers you can find. I'll probably grab some more of this for patio grilling in mid-summer to see if it's more appealing, but right now it's pretty regular.

3.52/5  rDev +11.4%

I picked up a six pack of Lenienkugel's Canoe Paddler last week for $7.99 at Meijers. Now that the weather is actually starting to feel more spring like i'm getting back into some of the lighter and more refreshing beers that I like to drink during the warmer months, this beer seems like it fits in that category so let's see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up, so it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label has the typical Lenienkugel's style that most of their bottles have with an added summer lake scene in the background, it looks nice. It poured a very clear yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin layer the eventually faded away and it didn't really leave any lacing behind. This is a pretty average looking beer, it's not a real looker that's for sure.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by load of grainy, bready, and slightly biscuit like malts. After that I get a slight yeast aroma followed by some earthy and slightly spicy hop aromas that are pretty light and are mixed in with a light spicy rye aroma. The aroma is nice, the rye and hops add some nice complexity to it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of grainy, bready, and biscuit like malts flavor. After that comes a slight yeast flavor followed by light but noticeable rye flavor. On the finish there's a light amount of earthy and slightly spicy hops that impart a lower amount of bitterness that is just enough to balance out some of those malts and it had a very grainy and slight rye like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Kolsch with a little extra complicity from the rye, I liked it.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, refreshing, lighter bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and fairly true to style.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and while it wasn't that true to style with the addition of rye, it was still very Kolsch like and the rye did a good job at complementing the other flavors. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, refreshing, not filling, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I can see myself drinking a few of these while outside this summer, it's a nice summer session beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and the added complexity from the rye, they were both good and the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, a little more head retention and lacing would have been nice. I would buy this beer again when I'm in the mood for a sessionalbe summer beer, the price is right and it's appropriate for the season, I recommend this beer to just about anyone, it a nice and easy drinking beer. All in all I was happy with this beer, Leinenkugel can make some solid beers and this one of them, good job guys, I'm sure I'll be revisiting this beer again this summer.

3.28/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A - Exactly what you'd expect: pale, golden, clear. Very nice amount of bubbling.

S - A hint of banana, which wasn't expected, but other than that, very little aroma. Pilsner-y.

T - Pretty decent. Not particularly crisp. A little bit of sweetness, especially as you continue (perhaps that's the added "malt" to which they allude). Not very hoppy at all, not particularly bright; I expected a hoppier drink. This might not be a bad beer overall, but it's a terrible example of a Kölsch. Score reflects my indecision on that front.

M - A slight coat, mostly thin, but actually a smoother drink than the average Kölsch.

O - This isn't bad at all, but it's entirely not a Kölsch style beer. Where do you come down on the score, then: drinkability, or accuracy? Somewhere in the middle? Regardless, this can be a tasty and refreshing Summer beer, no question.

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

2.86/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from bottle into a Pilsener glass.

Appearance: Light gold, straw colored topped off with a reasonably thick foam cap. Bubbles circulated the glass.

Smell: Grainy smell, running on the verge of a metallic scent.

Taste: Grainy taste with slight notes of citrus every now and then. Very mild taste.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a good amount of carbonation. Ends with a dry finish.

Overall: This beer does not leave a memorable impression. The flavors are not as intense as many other beers in the Kolsch family are. It goes down easily which works well for certain situations. I would love to see this beer available in the summer. It is an easy-drinking Kolsch, not the best but it is refreshing.

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

2.65/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Enjoyed from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Golden straw color with less than a finger white head, small amount of streaming bubbles.

S: Light grainy malts.

T: Really similar to the nose, some rye, other grains up front, with a soft ever so slight hop bitterness towards the middle/end. Not a whole lot really.

M: Light body, smooth, crisp, dry and clean.

O: Well it's another easy drinker from Leinenkugels but it really leaves a lot to be desired. Not nearly enough hop bitterness for me. Just really plain, like I've tasted it before in many American adjunct lagers. Not a bad beer just doesn't really fill out the label. Average at best.

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is crystal clear straw yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface and a thick collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of grainy malts and notes of floral hops are present in the nose. Hints of fruity yeast become noticeable as the beer warms up.
T: The taste has flavors of cracker and grain malts along with a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, rather dry and a little crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very easy to drink; the crispness and dryness also make it particularly refreshing. It is a good representation of the style.

3.07/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of grains, some corn. Taste is light, mild, some corn, refreshing yet not very flavorful. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer, not bad, but just lacking.

2.91/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I am totally stoked to drink this beer! I have been a fan of Leinie's beers since my first visit to Madison, WI in 1992 and when I found this as a single in my neighbor's cooler, I pounced on it like a panther. I had to await my picture's (yep, that's mine) approval before I would open it and now the stars have aligned as I prepare for an afternoon and evening of college hockey.

From the bottle: "Refreshing Kolsch-style beer with a touch of rye and three specialty hops"; "Carefully brewed by the Leinenkugel family for five generations".

My unrestrained pour created a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head that seemed determined to fizzle its way out of existence. Color was a straw yellow with NE-plus quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose smelled of lemongrass and silage (corn), the latter of which was not totally unpleasant, but not totally welcomed, either. Mouthfeel was effervescent with a very light taste of lemon and canned corn. It was more innocuous than unpleasant, IMHO. Finish was dry, slightly bland and generally unobtrusive. There was nothing intrinsically wrong with this beer, but it was just kind of bland, even for the style. It lacked Ooomph!, which I have gotten from other beers of the style.

Speaking of which, I was amazed at how many Kolsches I have reviewed on this site. Believe me, it was not by design as I am a self-proclaimed hophead and Kolsch can leave me unfulfilled.

Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company