Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Beer added by: tectactoe on 04-10-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 641 | Reviews: 85
3.85/5  rDev +23%

Good overall fruity beer. Refreshing taste

3.89/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured a hazy gold, with wispy light 3 finger head.

Immediately I smell fruit. Oranges and citrus. A bit of grain. Mostly it smells like Summer. Like juice almost.

Taste is sweet and citrusy on the front. Recedes to a wheat, and grainy middle but the after taste is mostly grains and grass. And afterwards leaves a tangy taste along with the typical wheat finish.

Thin and slightly carbonated, but doesnt make me burp either. Very nice on a hot day I can imagine.

I think this shandy is fantastic. On a super hot day nothing would be better than coming in and getting a cold one of these or any other Leinenkugel's Summer brews. And I know some people cannot stand the thought of "fruit" in mah beer. This just works though. I really enjoyed it, and even more than I anticipated.

Highly recommend it.

2.12/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Myabe for some, but not for me.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Once again they got the Orange just right! Covers up the tin taste that wheat beers have. Wife is always bummed when they run out.

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I really tried to like this but it tasted like fizzy bad orange soda with a very light feeling white beer. Could have done without the extra fizz and a little sweeter.

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A little out of season, as this was hiding in my fridge since mid-summer, but a welcome break from the robust stouts and spiced creations of the holidays. Frothy, white, meringue-like head forms after an assertive pour in to a tall weizen glass. The 2 finger crest settles in to a thin layer of foam with little to no lacing. This brew could pass for fresh squeezed oranges, with its hazy, unfiltered appearance and juice-like color. The aroma reminds me of half time at youth soccer matches, with freshly sliced oranges taking center stage against the backdrop of a grassy pitch. The flavor is not altogether different than what is achieved by dropping a slice of orange in to (insert random American Pale Wheat Ale), although with little other pronounced flavor. The wheaty mouthfeel gives it some body, and helps add a little depth with a grain-like finish. Pleasantly refreshing. I am detecting some sour citrus notes. Lemon, pith, and sweet candied oranges. The carbonation is lively, and helps create a thirst-quenching quaff. If you are an aficianado of orange soda, then this is your beer. I'm not sure if this can really be called beer actually. But whatever you choose to call it, it's delicious and easy to drink. I am in to my second pour as I finish this review. The low ABV only adds to the refreshment. I'll be looking forward to this one each summer, and will gladly drink this over the abhorrent lemon shandy varieties that I've tried. Unlike their recipe of dumping country-time lemonade in to a cheap wheat beer, this one seems more natural and palatable. It's a one-trick pony with a pretty nice trick.

2.26/5  rDev -27.8%

Disappointed with this one.. Love orange but it is just not my bag. Aroma is great, but it can't save the taste..

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tasty, refreshing, a good example of the style.

4.05/5  rDev +29.4%

This is an outside-the-box beer produced by a brewery in Wisconsin and sold in bottles at your local brew store or supermarket. It has a very bright orange color, and it smells like orange juice. The taste itself is kind of an orange-juicy type flavor, maybe if you put two fingers of bourbon in a glass of carbonated orange juice. After the first sip, you think, "Is this really beer?" But after the second sip, you're thinking that whatever you want to call it, it's pretty darn good.

The beer's best quality has gotta be its smell. It smells like orange juice. So if you have a nagging wife or if you want to have a bottle at work, just pour it into a glass and tell people you're drinking healthy orange juice. It'll be our little secret.

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours golden orange with creamy head. Aroma is of oranges of spice and reminds of of Christmas. Though not a Christmas beer this is something that would go well with rich holiday meals like ham and keilbasa.

First taste is of rich lightly sweet oranges with hints of vanilla and clove. Finishes crisp and clean and ever so slightly bitter.

Had this on draft at a local restaurant and on bottle. This is good in the bottle but much much better on draft. Good on a cold snowy night with friends. A fun quaffable winter beer.

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

Very orange in smell and taste, it doesn't even really taste like beer. It would be perfect for a hot summer day.

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I really enjoyed this one. Its like an orangeade got together with a beer. Some may not like the fact that it doesn't have a very strong hoppy flavor but I think its just right for a relaxing day.

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a shaker. A moderate pour produces about 2 inches of frothy white foam. The beer is a very hazy golden-orange with lots of carbonation.

A very distinct orange aroma and flavor, but some malt manages to show through. It's not too artificial tasting. A little bit of malt, corniness and wheat spice creeps through all that orangey flavor, so it actually tastes like a beer. Very frothy and creamy mouthfeel.

I enjoyed this on a beautiful Indian Summer day, and perhaps the last of the balmy days...

3.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Not as good as I'd hoped considering how good the summer shandy is, but not terrible. It tastes a bit artificial and maybe a bit too bitter in the aftertaste. Not bad though.

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%

Served from tap in a mug at Hooters - Schaumburg.

Being unable to find an individual bottle or can of this stuff for a couple years now, imagine my happy surprise to find this on tap during my first visit to a Hooters (thanks, by the way, to my man VDubb and his lovely wife). It pours a cloudy brass-amber topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises straight Creamsicle undercut by a bit of wet wheat. The taste leads with the wheat (now less wet), then proceeds into some orange wedge, and then a bit of coriander. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, this was definitely a step up from the sadness that is Summer Shandy (however little that actually says), but it falls a bit short for me in terms of full enjoyment. It's not bad, but nothing I feel like trying again any time soon.

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: orange - yellow, typical wheat beer color
Smell: smells of orange juice with a bit of a wheat/yeast smell
Taste: tastes like I poured orange juice into a beer (fairly straight forward)
Mouth feel: very creamy. Sticks around for a bit
Overall: I liked their summer shandy but this edges it out. Great light flavor for the summer time. Could definitely drink a few of these relaxing outside. Would definitely pick up again

3.9/5  rDev +24.6%

I had pretty low expectations for this brew. It surprised me. While it was artificially sweet, I actually enjoyed the orange shandy. It can be overpowering with orange flavoring but overall, not bad.

3.63/5  rDev +16%

Appearance (4.25) : A hazy, richly opaque pineapple-orange colored body. Almost 100% opacity. Impressive. The head is a tightly woven three fingered creamy, creamy head with thick licks of lacing remaining, as it recedes at a slow pace.

Aroma (3.25) : This is basically what I'd smell if I mixed orange juice and beer. Very orange-y, but with a slight malt skunk behind it. The malt and grains are definitely present, but are a bit odious. Some whiffs of lemon come out too as the head recedes. I don't know if I can attribute that to hops or just added citrus rinds in the vat.

Taste (3.25) : Smooth, mildly offensive, but overall easily drinkable. It's got malt character up front, mixed with orange flesh. Halfway through, the frothy orange juice sets in and makes its presence known as it exits the back of your throat. What ultimately ruins the taste is the presence of the malty skunk. It's faint, but it's there.

Mouthfeel (4) : Like a whipped, frothy orange julius. I think the mouthfeel is the best part of this beer. It's creamy, very accessible, and easy to drink. I'd have this one on a hot day, no problem.

Overall (3.64) : Much better than their Summer Shandy. All in all it's a capable beer and worthy of a try. I wouldn't have a problem grabbing more of these for a hot day in the sun or in the shade.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

I'm drinking this beer because my PBR drinking wife was with me at the Liquor store while I was picking out singles of new beers to try. She insisted I buy one of these. I must admit I indulge in a shandy now and again.

Pours a hazy light orange, smells to me like Trix cereal.

Doesn't taste as good as it smells which isn't very good.

Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy brewed by Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing comapny. This brew has an ABV of 4.2% and pours out a nice cloudy amber color with a nice white head. The smell is oranges and that is about it. The taste is sweet with oranges and a hit of grains. This brew goes nice and smooth. I'm not a big fan of this brew. It puts in a mind set of sunny D or just oj. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3 out of 5.
I may buy this brew again.

3.28/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can poured into a lager glass.

A - Cloudy peach. two inch head that lingers. Nice lacing throughout.

S - Orange zest and some malt, maybe.

T - The wheat and malt are there. The orange taste dominates a tad too much- but this IS a shandy so...anyhoo. There are some hops at the end, making for a pleasant dry finish.

M - Medium

O - A nice shandy. Very refreshing, but not a good session brew, imho.

3.49/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with a half inch white head that fizzled away quickly. There's a decent amount of lacing. The brew mostly smells like oranges and orange peel, along with a general citrus aroma (reminds me of Tang and other orange like citrus drinks) and some bready/grainy malt. I think the taste is pretty much like the aroma, it does remind me more of a slightly watered down citrus/orange drink than a fruit beer. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's refreshing and easy to drink. Overall I like this. I think it's a good choice for a warmer day, it wouldn't be hard to drink a few of these.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy is an extremely creamy, thick offering that doesn't provide the occasionally pungent harshness of a Blue Moon or the sourness and high alcohol content that the Bud Light Lime Ritas offer. It's refreshing as can be, goes down easy, and feels more satisfying and fulfilling than Leinenkugel's famous Summer Shandy (although don't sleep on that one either).

Appearance is a hazy orange - appealing enough.

Smell is strong of orange and citrus, with the indication of some mild grains.

Taste is zesty and a wee bit tart that never descends into being too sharp or too strong. Easily compliments those eighty degree and humid nights that we see so often in the summers of Connecticut.

The mouthfeel boasts his carbonation and thick creaminess. No complaints because both practically cancel each other out.

Leinenkugel consistently amazes me. For being a mainstream brewer, they release ample amounts of unique and often complex beers. Even if I'm not a big fan of some of their offers (IE: Canoe Paddler, which I'm looking to retry next season), the fact that they can throw out multiple different shandies, season offerings, and unique looking beers such as Creamy Dark and Red Lager year after year is nothing short of amazing. Orange Shandy is definitely my current favorite of their offerings.

By far more smooth than most shandys. First I liked Blue moon because you have the orange to offset the taste. Then I progressed to Shock top & now this is the ultimate orange beer. No orange needed and no harshness like with Blue moon. This is a must try seasonal beer that is perfect for the beach or anytime!

4.74/5  rDev +51.4%

Excellent Shandy for every season!

to view more.