Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Leinenkugel's Orange ShandyLeinenkugel's Orange Shandy

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: tectactoe on 04-10-2013

1.64/5  rDev -48.1%

Hazy orange with a large white head which quickly fades. Smells like artificial oranges.

Tastes like artificial oranges too. Maybe like orange soda, carbonated water, and candy? Not appealing, and mostly offensive.

Thin bodied, somewhat sticky mouthfeel. Average carbonation. Just a bad beer. I have never liked a beer with artificial flavor, and that's about all this beer has. Avoid. (388 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -47.8%

I've generally liked Leinenkugels series of Shandies - they're not exceptional brews, but both Summer and Lemon Berry Shandy were solid choices for a refreshing drink on a warm day. I'd been seeing their new Orange Shandy as part of a variety 12-pack at my local grocery store for the last two months or so, and finally took the plunge on buying one of those today. I figured, hey... it's a rare 80 degree day in early May here in Milwaukee, why not cap the day off with some summer appropriate beers?

Well... the Summer and Lemon Berry brews didn't let me down. As for the Orange, um... it sucks. The taste is very artificial, almost chemical-ly. My first impression was that it was a really pleasant cough syrup. While it may have won rave reviews if it was Robitussin's newest flavor, I felt that as beer it needed to clear a slightly higher bar. Call me picky, if you will.

As I sit here sucking down the last few cans of this monstrosity (the eight Summer and Lemon Berry varieties at least got me buzzed enough to tolerate it), I can only say this... NEVER AGAIN. Eff you Leinenkugels for violating my taste buds in such a horrible way. Bottom line, this beer tastes like failure. Stay away. (1,199 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

First had: can someone brought to a tailgate

Shandies barely count as beer anyway, but this is no champion among them. I only sampled these from the Leinenkugel line when there was nothing left to drink during an extra long tailgate.

Poured into a red Solo cup (wooo!), a somewhat cloudy yellow-orange color with a large fizzy white head that soon died down to a wispy layer of bubbles, with soda-like carbonation rising from the bottom. Aroma of orange candy and light stinky grains. Tasted like orange drink and seltzer, with some stale malts in the background. Not that I expected much, but whatever. Consistency of water, but goes down like it too, so at least there's that. Chicks might dig this, but not me. Plenty of other much better summertime quenchers out there. (776 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -44.3%

A big disappointment. the orange is artificial -almost tasted like tang. This was tough to choke down. The overall orange flavor overpowered everything else and it was a poor orange taste at that. Weak head, the almost a dry taste in the mouth. Ended up drinking three; the rest went down the drain. (299 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -44%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy yellow color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains oranges, light caramelized malts and some wheat.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of wheat and a light malt character. Then a nasty synthetic orange flavor comes in and reminds me of baby-aspirin at first. Then as you continue to drink the beer it starts to taste more like a lower-quality orange popsicle. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The hops presence is very mild and there isn’t much balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Not very crisp and not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not tasty at all, does not go down easily, not too filling, very mild kick, not the best representation of style. Even for a shandy, this is not a good beer in any respect. (972 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -44%

DISCOUNT BIN BEER! 12 oz can into a glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange juice color. The head is shockingly good; it's about two fingers high, with an eggshell shade. It's texture is amazingly thick and creamy, and retains very well. I'll go easy on the score here, because I imagine this is what one of those fabled Hill Farmstead IPAs look like.

S: Ever know what those little sliced orange candies smell like? Pretty much this. It smells mostly like artificial orange sweetness with a (very minute) side of beer. Very little about this aroma is appealing in any way.

T: The flavors are slightly more beer-y, but not enough to redeem it. Way, way, WAY too much of that artificial orange flavoring comes through to start...and to finish for that matter. It's a shitty orange soda mixed with a mediocre macro lager. Enough said.

M: Well...um...it's light and kind of sweet. The sweetness lingers on the tongue unpleasantly, and it's just a chore to drink.

O: Tickers gonna tick, amirite? (986 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A. It's hazy with a yellow-orange color. A good deal of bubbles coming up the side. Big white head that dissipates quickly and no real lacing.

S. Very orange and wheaty.

T/M. My god, the orange peel in this is over the top. I can't really taste anything else because it is dominated by the orange. Carbonated and tingly. Some metallic aftertaste. Light bodied. A bit watered down.

O. The overall generic orange taste is just way too overpowering. (450 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -39.6%

Appearance - Medium light yellow with a hint of orange. Opaque. Short white head - fairly persistent.

Smell - Tang.

Taste - Given the aroma, the flavor is unexpectedly muted. Sweet light malt and faint sweet slightly artificial tasting orange. Might be a little lemon or grapefruity hops in the finish. A little watery.

Mouthfeel - Light.

Overall - Maybe orange and beer just don't go together well? In any event, this one clearly isn't working too well. It comes off as artificial and simply doesn't taste that great. (522 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This beer is palatable with a shot of high quality bourbon to offset the Orange Fanta flavor. With a 4.2% alcohol content, the bourbon is a definite prerequisite. It's no wonder Wisconsin is always cold and gloomy. But, at $9.98 for a case of bottles, you can't go wrong. (271 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -32%

Got this in the winter sampler pack. Not sure what this is doing in the winter sampler. Seems more like a summer beer. Drank out of the bottle didn't have a glass available. Looked kinda hazy orange when I looked in the bottle. Smell was very strong of orange. When I took my first drink, I thought I was drinking a generic orange soda. Way to strong on the orange taste. The mouthfeel was odd. I felt like I had coated my mouth with sugar. Overall, just not a beer for me. Maybe if it was 100 degrees outside and I was craving something orange, but I think I would just go with a soda instead. (594 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle pours an uber-hazed mimosa color with a very small white head. Poor retention and lace.

Nose is orange fruity pebbles. Lemonade-orange juice with a light wheaty tang. Does not smell very inviting.

This is pretty gross really. The lemon shandy has some redeeming qualities, but this one is just too overboard on the artificial citrus juices. Mouthfeel is slick and overcarbed. Just not really refreshing and too much orange zest flavors. (451 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Looks like a traditional wit with a milky golden, cloudy yellow pour. Huge carbonation up top with a billowing white head. Good retention and a fat lace.

I struggle sometimes to rate shandies simply because they're only partly beer. This is no exception...the smell doesn't resemble beer at all. The nose is completely dominated by immitation orange soda scents.

The taste is not stellar. It doesn't taste as orangey as it smells. There's a faint orange taste that evolves mid-sip and a bit of a zesty orange peel taste as you approach the swallow, but there's just not much happening.

It does little for me with not much more than a tangy, carbonated feel. Not much body, though that's expected. Crisp, dry finish. A fake sweetness throughout.

Not a good beer. Much poorer than their Summer Shandy, which I actually like. Sadly, I've got two more cans of this. (866 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A - Pours a dirty pale orange with 1/2 finger white head with very little retention

S - Smells like orange juice and tang

T - Basically tastes like carbonated orange juice and tang

M - Very very light. No body and watery

O - Not a good beer. I enjoy the Summer Shandy from time to time, but this isnt working. (313 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%

Serving: 2 tallboys a gas & go about 10 minutes before sales cuttoff (1:50 am).
Appearance: On Sale, $1.49 per what I assume is a tallboy but never states can volume.
Smell: They could learn a thing or 3 from San Peligrino italian sodas - the arrancibita and tamarindo specifically.
Taste: A surprisingly dry rather than outright sweet accompaniment to a box of Newport Shorts and Lil' Debbie's Donut Sticks.
Sadly, the lingering taste is the artificial Orange present, the same reason I don't prefer the flavored Shocktop issues.
Mouthfeel: Washing down Lil' Debbie can be a challange for any beer, I was expecting the cold, dry finish of an Old Style to chase my doughnut product, as this has been a walking home combination from my U. Chi days & wasn't disappointed.
Beers which cannot chase a good sweet which I drink as my regular non- gas station rotation: 21st Amendment ESB, 90 minute Dogfish, Aviator Hot Rod Rye, Moonlight Brewing Death & Taxes on hand cask at the Toronado, Dale's Pale Ale.
Overall: A solid beer to end the evening at an affordable price. A credible alternative to any of the Beergaritas and Hard Lemonade products in the same market space. (1,169 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Oh boy. 33cl aluminum can acquired as part of a variety box at a Ralph's grocery in Santa Monica. Reviewed live. Expectations are low. Served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California.

Served cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a heavy head of almost entirely foam which recedes to a six finger wide head. Beige colour. Soft complexion. Nice creaminess. Decent thickness.

Colour is a murky hazy yellow-copper with orange hues. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

A mediocre appearance at best.

Sm: Orange juice. zest. Very artificial and simple. That's all there is. Moderately to notably strong.

T: Orange juice, pilsner malts, minimal floral hp character. That's about it. Very simple. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. There's not much to say about it. Underwhelming. Tangy. A bit doughy.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Thickness is off. Overcarbonated. Subpar presence on the palate. Not all that soft. Not oily, harsh, or biting. Largely unrefreshing. Suits the flavour profile in a general sense.

Dr: Drinkable but boring. I wouldn't get this again. A patronizing summer beer from Leinenkugel. Hides its modest ABV well. I don't really understand the appeal.

C- (1,297 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Orange Shandy pours a hazy yellow/orangeish color with a nice small long lasting lacing head. There is a orange aroma that is similar to orange hand soap. The taste is similar to soap with small orange notes, but has a barely noticeable malty and wheat like backbone. A bit watery, which may be a good thing, if the flavors would be any stronger it would be undrinkable. Overall its a drinkable beer on a hot summers BBQ day, but don't expect anything to great. (461 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - cloudy orangey body, creamy off-white head fades to a foam
S - orange and more orange on the nose, almost smells like orange pop, but unfortunately not like beer
T - orange again here, orange pop mixed with some orange rind, mild biscuity malt, but the orange overpowers everything
M - creamy and smooth, moderate carbonation, refreshing and light
O - not terrible, but definitely all orange and not much else going on here. (429 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I really tried to like this but it tasted like fizzy bad orange soda with a very light feeling white beer. Could have done without the extra fizz and a little sweeter. (168 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

It's not quite straight orange, leaning a little lighter with a bright yellow tint. It's cloudy, which I guess I expected. A sparsely-bubbled off-white head rises quickly and makes a show of it before quickly dropping down. It's a little fizzy, but a bit does stick around for the long haul, particularly around the edges, and it leaves some spotty foam on the glass.
Of all of Leinie's shandies, this one comes off as the most artificial. The main element is sugared orange, not juice but like those candies that are soft and chewy with the sugar crystals coating them. It's a little tangy, more on the nose than the flavor, which goes more the grainy route with sourness sneaking in.
It's light-bodied, sure, but the effervescence gives it something, at least. There's even a crisp feel that isn't simply a compensation. It's not clean by any stretch, but I'm not forcing it down.
The score is what it is. This is a beer. As a drink, it's not great, but better than it is as a beer. (986 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a can of Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy a couple days in a mixed shandy pack for $13.29 at Meijers. Leinenkugels Summer Shandy is one of my go to Disc Golfing beers, so I thought I would try the orange version to see how it stacks up, so lets see how it goes. The variety pack just showed up so it's fairly fresh. Poured from 12oz can into an imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks ok, it's about the same as Summer Shandy, but with oranges instead of lemons. It poured a very hazy golden orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy white head that died to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This is a nice looking Shandy, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness, it's super sweet smelling and is followed by loads of oranges that have an artificial aroma to it that reminds me of the tang that i drank a lot when I was a kid. After that I get a really light grainy malt aroma that is overpowered by the oranges. The aroma is ok, but it's little heavy on the tang aromas, I think it would be better with more of an orange juice like aroma, it's not bad, but it's pretty hard to tell that this is beer just from the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts of with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by a blast of orange tang flavor that quickly fades into that typical Summer Shandy bast of bready and grainy malts with some doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes a little more orange flavors that seems to taste a little more authentic and is followed by pretty much no bitterness with a little more sweetness on the finish with a stale grain and orange like aftertaste. This is an ok tasting beer, it's much more balanced than the aroma, but i'm still not sold on the orange tang flavors.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little refreshing, medium bodied, with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, it seemed to work well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was pretty mediocre and a slightly below average example of the style, the orange tang aspect was just too overpowering and it stuck out a little too much, I would rather have a more natural orange flavor. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and a little refreshing, but the flavors really didn't hold my attention, so I don't think I would want to session this beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it's a decent looking Shandy. What I like the least about this beer the orange tang aspect, It would be better with a more natural orange flavor. I wouldn't by the beer on it's own, I would rather have Summer Shandy or Lemon Berry Shandy and I wouldn't really recommend this beer. All in all this was my least favorite of Leinenkugel's three Shandys, with Summer Shandy being my favorite, I appreciate the attempt, but this one just didn't work for me, better luck next time guys. (3,044 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to Jeff for tossing me one of these. Figured I'd give it a try - why not? I'll never be "above" anything. Poured from a can into a Lagunita's mason jar. That's got "classy" written all over it. The only thing that would be more perfect would be sitting in an old, rusty canoe out in some stinky ass pond in the middle of nowhere.

It pours kind of cloudy, like muddled orange juice, only with a bit more transparency at the edges which nearly turn to yellow when the light beams through them. The foamy, almost frothy, bone-white head lasts for a minute or two but leaves a bit of lacing as it recedes. The aroma is Orange Kool-Aid. Seriously. Orange Kool-Aid infused with just a little bit of faint grains. And when I say faint, I mean almost completely nonexistent. The smell is not bad at all, just extremely straightforward and boring. Like most Nicholas Cage movies.

It tastes.... like I would expect it to taste. Grainy backbone with more of that "borderline-artificial" orange flavor. It's kind of like an Orange spritzer, thanks to the heavy bouts of carbonation. There is just a little bit of "beer" flavor to this, as the watered down Kool-Aid pretty much masks everything else. Very light bodied with a ton of carbonation - tight, crispy mouth feel and a dry finish.

Eh. What did I expect? Not a lot. And because of that, I wasn't really let down. In fact, I enjoyed this one much more than Summer Shandy and I'm sure this would prove to be extremely quaffable on a hot summer day. (1,507 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I don't know what it is with Leinenkugel and shandy. Don't they have like five of them by now? What the hell is the difference between shandy and radler? Just looked it up. There isn't one. Move on.

Poured from a bottle into a weizen glass, just so you know.

A: Looks like orange juice mixed with wheat beer. Probably because that's what it is. Given the style, I would expect the head to disappear quickly, but not that fast. The color is dull and a little too murky, but that's expected for wheat beer. Saturation? Hue? I don't know what it is I'm looking for exactly, but the color is missing something.

S: When I sniffed it, I smelled a smell that I expected to smell, so it's got that going for it. Other than that, I would like to have caught a slight floral hop aroma. The orange smell, while overpowering, is quite fresh smelling and adds to the refreshing quality of the beer.

T: Again, the senses stay true to the initial perception that the appearance provided. Unfiltered wheat and orange is exactly what it looks, smells, and tastes like. It's an average, no frills wheat beer base with average, no frills orange juice flavor. Heads up, though, it does kinda taste like how I imagine citrus wood polish would.

M: Slight citrusy sting, but not aggressive in the least. Plenty of carbonation. Light enough to be refreshing, but weighty enough to go with a meal, as long as that meal is a salad. There's also a bit of a waxy post-drink mouthfeel going on here, but fuck, it feels good.

O: If you're trying to watch your figure and need something light to go with a low calorie snack, this beer works. Other than that, it's pretty average on all accounts. (1,672 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -6%

12 oz. bottle, with best before date of November 11, 2013 printed on the bottleneck. I got this bottle from my neighbors, since I've never seen this beer before. Not the biggest fan of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, but I'm intrigued to see what this variant is all about.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a murky cloudy pale orange-lemon color with a finger of off-white foam for a head.

S - Smell is about what I expected it would be, also. Some pretty natural orange juice / radler smell in there, but there is a lot of sugary caramel malt and dust in there too.

T - Tastes a lot like the regular version in the taste. Not much legit orange actually comes through, but it is in there. Lemon, carbonation, white sugar, malt.

M - Feel is crisp and clean, with good carbonation.

Overall, this was basically what I already knew it would be. Blurring the line between chic malt beverages and fruit beer, but an easy drinking beer for those hot summer vacation days. I would probably only drink this again if offered in that context.

Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy ---3/5. (1,087 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -6%

Second flavor out of the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy variety pack.

Cloudy pale orange colored beer with a tall white colored head.

Smells strongly or oranges. Mild soda cracker malt aroma, but mostly it smells like oranges.

Starts out tasting of oranges and soda cracker. Faint sourness and maybe a little vanilla. Reminds me a little of the taste of a dreamsicle. Not a traditional beer but it is kind of tasty.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall tastes better than the lemonade version. (481 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -6%

I'm drinking this beer because my PBR drinking wife was with me at the Liquor store while I was picking out singles of new beers to try. She insisted I buy one of these. I must admit I indulge in a shandy now and again.

Pours a hazy light orange, smells to me like Trix cereal.

Doesn't taste as good as it smells which isn't very good. (339 characters)

Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company