Microbrew Invitational

Added by BeerFMAndy on 05-26-2013

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 140
3.92/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured this at a good temperature with a smallish, tan, short-lived head and no lace. Color is a lovely, clear mahogany with some slow bubble trails. Aroma is a heavenly malt, rye up front with spice, and fruit behind. Flavor's like nose, rye fruit and malt sweet dominate with a little tang. Not much in the way of hops, which is out of character for an American barley wine style even if it is rye instead of the barley. Body and carbonation are in character and ok. Finish is like flavor, slowly diminishes, and alcohol comes out sneakily at the very end. Decent brew.

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Ryewine pours a very dark reddish orange color with bright clarity. When backlit it appears more of a dark copper. Creamy layer of surface foam, a little bit of frothy lace forms around the edges. A thin veil of skim remains after the first few sips.

Aroma is mild, some light butter toffee, a vague floral hop note.

Sweet and buttery toffee, light astringency, slippery feel. Vegetal bitterness in the aftertaste, along with some mild alcohol heat, sort of jarring. As it warms it gets a little thin and medicinal. Lacking flavor and complexity, slightly cloying and one-dimensional. Reminds me of Point's Whole Hog Barleywine with a better hidden abv.

3.99/5  rDev +5.3%

I picked up a bottle of Leinekugel's Big Eddy Ryewine Ale a couple weeks ago for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I haven't been really impressed by any of the beers I have had from Leinenkugel's Big Eddy series, but I had a sample of this at a recent beer festival and I was pretty impressed, so when I saw some bottles on the shelf I made sure to pick one up to review, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, late spring release. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty much the same as all the other beers from the series, but it still has a nice simple and classy look to it. It poured a slightly clear darker copper color that took on some nice bright ruby hues when held to the light with a half a fingers worth of medium tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left pretty much no lacing behind with some noticeable alcohol legs. This is a nice looking beer the color was really nice, but the head and lacing were a little lacking even for a higher alcohol beer.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a pretty big malty aroma with some caramel and toffee coming through. Up next comes a nice mix of dark fruits with no one fruit sticking out the most and it's followed by a noticeable spicy rye aroma. Towards the end I get a little more sweetness followed by a little bit of earthy hops with a lighter amount of medium alcohol coming through. This beer has a good aroma, it's a little on the sweet side side, but it has some nice complexity to it which I appreciate.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of high sweetness followed by lots of malts that impart some nice caramel and toffee flavors with a good amount of dark fruit flavors with all the fruits blending together. Up next comes a somewhat lighter amount of rye with a little bit of spicy rye flavors coming through. The alcohol is barely noticeable and not warming at all which is pretty impressive for a %10 beer and there doesn't seem to be any hop flavors. On the finish there's a little more sweet malts with a really low amount of medium bitterness with a sweet and malty aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, it had some nice and complex flavors and it wasn't boozy at all, I enjoyed it.

M- Pretty smooth, a little sticky, rich, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style, I have never had a beer labeled as a Ryewine before, but I thought this was pretty similar to an Old Ale or a Barleywine, I don't think the rye stuck out enough to warrant calling it a Ryewine. This beer had great drinkability, it was pretty smooth, the alcohol was hidden really well and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I could probably drink a few if these if I was in the mood, but I'm sure I would pay for it in the morning. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and how drinkable it was, i wasn't expecting a 10% Ryewine to be so damn drinkable. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it was nice, but the head and lacing were a little disappointing. I would for sure buy this beer again, I already got an extra one to throw in the cellar, but I'm going to make sure to at least get a couple more before they are all gone, it's worth the money and I would recommend this to anyone who likes Old Ales and Barleywines. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I don't have the best of the luck with series but this one turned out to be a winner and it's my favorite from the series and one of my favorite Leinenkugel beers. This was just as good as the one I had at the beer festival, nice work guys, I enjoyed this one and I hope to see more beer of this quality make it to the Big Eddy series.

4.02/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Enjoyed on tap at 3 Squares in Maple Grove, MN. Served in 10oz fluted glass.

Transparent crimson color with small off-white head with decent lacing. Taste is quite complex. Slight sweetness to the malt base. Rye influence is subtle, but adds pleasant spice notes. Some apple pie flavor with clove. I get a sense of apple jack. The alcohol is fairly well masked.

A unique and enjoyable take on a barleywine. I will be setting some aside for aging.

4.26/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
10% ABV, 2013,

A - Beautiful crimson amber in color this barleywine has nice clarity despite it's darker appearance and is topped by a densely packed, cascading khaki head. Thin, sticky lace coats the whole glass as the foam subsides.

S - Subtle and malty, this latest addition to the Big Eddy series flourishes with deep complexity. Sweetness abounds but doesn't intrude with toffee and caramel notes easing into rye spice attributes that don't become sharp. Cocoa merges well with the earthy undertones of hops along the back end but the aroma is a somewhat closed one.

T - Ryewine's depth continues into the flavor, opening up more nuances as it progresses and warms. Toffee takes a back seat to a subtle dark fruity character that goes well with smooth caramel and notes of milk chocolate. Spicy rye adds a touch of bite to the smooth flavor but it doesn't seem as showcased as the sweeter malt. Alcohol and hops are nowhere to be found in this brew's velvety flavor.

M - Moderate carbonation adds nice dimension to this soft and smooth, medium-full bodied brew. It's sweetness is balanced incredibly well by the use of hops which play no role in flavor as this mildly dry beer but are integral nonetheless. The disappearing finish is a mystery considering the inclusion of 10% ABV!

O - Like the other Big Eddy series beers, this barleywine is extremely drinkable, shying away from it's boastful ABV for a smooth and drinkable malty treat. It might be labeled as an American Barleywine but this beer has no hop interaction beyond pure balance. It's no flaw, but the lower level of rye, which adds nice spice, could be elevated and showcased a little more. Big, flavorful, and smooth, Ryewine Ale is another solid offering from Leinenkugel's!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last