Big Eddy Über-Oktoberfest - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-28-2013)
3.68/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Leinenkugel's Uber-Oktoberfest from their Big Eddy Series a couple weeks ago for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I've tried all the beers in this series and I thought the Big Eddy series has been pretty solid so far and a Imperial Oktoberfest sounds pretty interesting, so lets see how it goes. Best before February 10th 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a clean and classy look and it's the pretty much the same label that all the beers in the series have, it looks ok, but it's not too eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy slightly darker amber color that took on more of ruby color when held to the light with a half a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. The was a decent looking beer, I thought the color was pretty nice, but the head and lacing were a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness that has a candied sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by a good amount of dark fruits with no single fruit sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, caramel malt and bready aromas with a noticeable sweet alcohol aroma. Towards the end there's a light herbal hop aroma. This beer had nice aroma, but it was a little on the sweet and boozy side.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a lighter candied sugar like flavor followed by a good amount of malts up front that impart a sweet malt, caramel malt and bready flavor. Up next comes a pretty light amount of sweet alcohol followed by a nice dark fruit flavor with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a light herbal hop flavor that imparts a higher amount of lighter bitterness with a sweet, caramel malt and dark fruit like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer that seemed to be more balanced than the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, dry, clean, a little rich, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer, but it wasn't a great example of a Oktoberfest, but as an Imperial Oktoberfest like they claim it is it's not bad, I don't think I would guess this was an Oktoberfest if I tried it blind, but since I know what it is I can pick out some of those bready and caramel malt flavors that I usually get in the style along with those typical herbal hops, it's just that all those aspects are much stronger, as you would expect from an imperial version of the style. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little rich, not to filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, at 8.5% it would start to catch up on me, but I could see myself drinking a couple of these without getting bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, I got a little worried that this beer would be too sweet and boozy from what I got from the aroma, but the taste turned out to be more balanced than the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they weren't bad, but they could use a little work. I would buy a couple bottle of this next year maybe even a four pack, it might be age-able, but it's fairly smooth now so I don't know if age would improve it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes stronger malty beers, but this isn't something that you chug down at an Oktoberfest. All in all I was happy with this beer, Like it said I got a little worried when I got to the aroma, but once I got to the taste I was pretty satisfied and it turned out to be more drinkable than I expected. This Big Eddy series is pretty solid and this beer is no exception, keep up the good work guys, the Big Eddy Series is my favorite thing you guys do.

StoutHunter, Nov 26, 2013

themorninglark, Oct 15, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

equinox1, Oct 14, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Apparently this is a 2013 Bottle?? Tastes great, so I'm reviewing it any how..

Pours an effervescent amber/copper color with 2+ fingers of tan head. No llacing or head retention

S: Faint breadyness & grassiness, metallic notes as well

T: Breadyness, a little bit of caramel & dryness up front, pear notes & jammyness, some leafy hop notes as well. Rich marmalade notes, leafy hops & toffee as this warms. Finishes bready with pears, & caramel plus leafy dryness

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation

Drinks pretty easy, I'm really enjoying this for what this is, a o'fest beer on steroids, this will serve as my place marker until I can get fresher. Will certainly buy this again!

russpowell, Oct 13, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -10%

Azpittil57, Oct 13, 2014

MN_Beerticker, Oct 11, 2014
3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Vransizzle, Oct 10, 2014

Seem to be on an Oktoberfest quest this year so I picked up a four-pack.

Pours a lovely orange/brown color with a decent one finger head.

Aroma is of toasted malt with a hint of citrus hoppiness-quite pleasant.

Taste is quite pleasant with a nice caramel/marshmallow toasted nature and moderate sweetness quickly balanced by a little up front hops. Just enough hops to distract from the malty sweetness and finishes clean. A little light on mouthfeel, but overall a very good representation of the genre.

Definitely a standout Oktoberfest. Well above average.

wasso67, Oct 10, 2014

Doublechar0517, Oct 04, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

IDPharmProf, Oct 04, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Sample at the lodge. Slight grain aroma. Deeper amber color. Big Sweet gain malty taste. Much better than the regular October fest.

kkleu357, Oct 02, 2014