Big Eddy Über-Oktoberfest - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-28-2013)
3.68/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Leinenkugel's Uber-Oktoberfest from their Big Eddy Series a couple weeks ago for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I've tried all the beers in this series and I thought the Big Eddy series has been pretty solid so far and a Imperial Oktoberfest sounds pretty interesting, so lets see how it goes. Best before February 10th 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a clean and classy look and it's the pretty much the same label that all the beers in the series have, it looks ok, but it's not too eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy slightly darker amber color that took on more of ruby color when held to the light with a half a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. The was a decent looking beer, I thought the color was pretty nice, but the head and lacing were a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness that has a candied sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by a good amount of dark fruits with no single fruit sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, caramel malt and bready aromas with a noticeable sweet alcohol aroma. Towards the end there's a light herbal hop aroma. This beer had nice aroma, but it was a little on the sweet and boozy side.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a lighter candied sugar like flavor followed by a good amount of malts up front that impart a sweet malt, caramel malt and bready flavor. Up next comes a pretty light amount of sweet alcohol followed by a nice dark fruit flavor with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a light herbal hop flavor that imparts a higher amount of lighter bitterness with a sweet, caramel malt and dark fruit like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer that seemed to be more balanced than the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, dry, clean, a little rich, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer, but it wasn't a great example of a Oktoberfest, but as an Imperial Oktoberfest like they claim it is it's not bad, I don't think I would guess this was an Oktoberfest if I tried it blind, but since I know what it is I can pick out some of those bready and caramel malt flavors that I usually get in the style along with those typical herbal hops, it's just that all those aspects are much stronger, as you would expect from an imperial version of the style. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little rich, not to filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, at 8.5% it would start to catch up on me, but I could see myself drinking a couple of these without getting bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, I got a little worried that this beer would be too sweet and boozy from what I got from the aroma, but the taste turned out to be more balanced than the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they weren't bad, but they could use a little work. I would buy a couple bottle of this next year maybe even a four pack, it might be age-able, but it's fairly smooth now so I don't know if age would improve it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes stronger malty beers, but this isn't something that you chug down at an Oktoberfest. All in all I was happy with this beer, Like it said I got a little worried when I got to the aroma, but once I got to the taste I was pretty satisfied and it turned out to be more drinkable than I expected. This Big Eddy series is pretty solid and this beer is no exception, keep up the good work guys, the Big Eddy Series is my favorite thing you guys do.

StoutHunter, Nov 26, 2013

Chucker17, Today at 06:40 PM
3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

The beer looks good, but not great. The smell is awesome but not really indicative of this style so I couldn't give it a 5. The taste is something different for a Marzen; it is sweet and citrusy, almost like a holiday lager or ale in my opinion, the extra umph of the hops change the character. The feel is excellent at first, but then left a weird filmy taste in the back of my mouth. Overall the beer is good but there are others that I will seek out this time of the year.

Rennpferd, Nov 20, 2014
4.04/5  rDev +11.9%

Papa-ChapaTX, Nov 19, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -10%

lanciloti, Nov 12, 2014

BeerSnobRobinson, Nov 10, 2014
3.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a orange amber, with about a half inch tan head that disappeared rapidly to a an eighth inch. Little to no lacing. Aroma is heavy sweet malt, with a touch of grassy notes. Taste is very sweet malt with just a touch of some citrus and alcohol on the back end. Mouthfeel is medium to light, with little carbonation. Overall, this is not too bad, but not outstanding either, something I've come to expect from the Big Eddy series.

timontheroad, Nov 09, 2014

OldSmaug, Nov 01, 2014
4.92/5  rDev +36.3%

SteadyEddie93, Oct 31, 2014
3.63/5  rDev +0.6%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date January 26, 2015 printed on the bottleneck. My second of the Big Eddy beers from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co., acquired a single bottle from the local beer store.

Poured into a Big Eddy snifter glass.

A - It pours a coppery burnt sienna orange body, almost similar to an IPA in appearance. About a finger of khaki head that recedes to a ring. Leaves behind some good sticky lacing. Looks pretty nice for what it is.

S - The aroma is pleasant also - notes of cream, vanilla, oak, wood, alcohol fumes, and some toasty caramel maltiness.

T - Taste follows the nose - notes of cream, vanilla, wood, oak, and alcohol fumes. A sweet caramel / toffee flavor, with some slight medicinal notes.

M - The feel is smooth and creamy. Sticky & viscous. Medium-full bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, a decent expression of the style, especially given the brewery. I am once again surprised and I look forward to trying more beers in this series.

Jacob Leinekugel Brewing Co. Big Eddy Über-Oktoberfest -----3.5/5