Big Eddy Über-Oktoberfest - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-28-2013)

DrumKid003, Dec 30, 2013

sd123, Dec 11, 2013

vermilcj, Dec 05, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

dtimpe, Dec 01, 2013

jaqo4, Dec 01, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Leinenkugel's Uber-Oktoberfest from their Big Eddy Series a couple weeks ago for $2.79 at The Lager Mill. I've tried all the beers in this series and I thought the Big Eddy series has been pretty solid so far and a Imperial Oktoberfest sounds pretty interesting, so lets see how it goes. Best before February 10th 2014. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a clean and classy look and it's the pretty much the same label that all the beers in the series have, it looks ok, but it's not too eye catching. It poured a slightly hazy slightly darker amber color that took on more of ruby color when held to the light with a half a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. The was a decent looking beer, I thought the color was pretty nice, but the head and lacing were a little disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a high amount of sweetness that has a candied sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by a good amount of dark fruits with no single fruit sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, caramel malt and bready aromas with a noticeable sweet alcohol aroma. Towards the end there's a light herbal hop aroma. This beer had nice aroma, but it was a little on the sweet and boozy side.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a lighter candied sugar like flavor followed by a good amount of malts up front that impart a sweet malt, caramel malt and bready flavor. Up next comes a pretty light amount of sweet alcohol followed by a nice dark fruit flavor with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a light herbal hop flavor that imparts a higher amount of lighter bitterness with a sweet, caramel malt and dark fruit like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer that seemed to be more balanced than the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, dry, clean, a little rich, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer, but it wasn't a great example of a Oktoberfest, but as an Imperial Oktoberfest like they claim it is it's not bad, I don't think I would guess this was an Oktoberfest if I tried it blind, but since I know what it is I can pick out some of those bready and caramel malt flavors that I usually get in the style along with those typical herbal hops, it's just that all those aspects are much stronger, as you would expect from an imperial version of the style. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little rich, not to filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, at 8.5% it would start to catch up on me, but I could see myself drinking a couple of these without getting bored with it. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance in the taste, I got a little worried that this beer would be too sweet and boozy from what I got from the aroma, but the taste turned out to be more balanced than the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they weren't bad, but they could use a little work. I would buy a couple bottle of this next year maybe even a four pack, it might be age-able, but it's fairly smooth now so I don't know if age would improve it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes stronger malty beers, but this isn't something that you chug down at an Oktoberfest. All in all I was happy with this beer, Like it said I got a little worried when I got to the aroma, but once I got to the taste I was pretty satisfied and it turned out to be more drinkable than I expected. This Big Eddy series is pretty solid and this beer is no exception, keep up the good work guys, the Big Eddy Series is my favorite thing you guys do.

StoutHunter, Nov 26, 2013

losdizzel, Nov 09, 2013

acp21178, Nov 06, 2013

kustard, Nov 03, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Nice rich brown color. Brilliant clarity. A minimal to non existent wisp of foam lays on top. The aroma is punishing with dark malt and nuttiness. The flavor is intensely malty and I get some serious nuttiness. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth considering the strength.

Franziskaner, Nov 03, 2013

FlussigkeitMut, Oct 31, 2013
4.06/5  rDev +12.8%

Leinenkugel’s Big Eddy Über-Oktoberfest has a thin, off-white head, a clear, bubbly, brilliant orange-copper appearance, and a little bit of thin lacing left behind. The aroma is rather bold- rich, bready malt, brown bread crust, a bit of orange, some sweetness, and a pungent note. Taste is of rich, sweet, bready, barley malt, sweetness, mandarin orange pulp, brown bread crust, slight nut, and a fairly pronounced straight-forward hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to thick, with some carbonation prickle, and Leinenkugel’s Big Eddy Über-Oktoberfest finishes decently crisp, easy-drinking, and remarkably smooth. Overall, this is delicious, and I strongly advise trying it.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Oct 27, 2013

TastyIsBeer, Oct 26, 2013
3.19/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear, reddish/brown color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Decent retention and good lacing. Smells of citrus hops, hop oils, floral hops, alcohol, sweet malt, and a hint of pale malt. The strong hop aroma and flavor make it hard to classify as a Marzen / Oktoberfest. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of alcohol, sweet malt, slight pale malt, citrus hops, and pine. Overall, decent appearance, decent beer with strong hop profile, but more like an AIPA, than a Marzen.

Tone, Oct 26, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -30.6%

jmccullough108, Oct 26, 2013

stogirelli, Oct 25, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark amber coming off a slight hazy with medium bubbles through out. Head is straight white and thin, I poured this one pretty hard and rose to at best 1/8 of an inch.

Smell: light hops and almost a grape scent to go with it. Light, desirable...not bad.

Taste: Well and beyond smooth hops, has a woody not to it with a slight touch of sweetness that almost feels a bit like butterscotch. Undoubtedly complex.

Mouth: Medium bodied and sticky, absolutely outstanding.

Overall: I do not know why people are knocking I. This brew and in my head I thought it should automatically be rated in the 90's where it should be. I hope you take the time and enjoy...this one is a sleeper. Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, Oct 22, 2013