Hoppin' Helles - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Munich Helles Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: StoutHunter on 08-17-2013

Ratings: 530 | Reviews: 79
1.22/5  rDev -61.5%

I think everyone is being too generous here. A 74? Not even close. This tastes like a macro-lager, not an IPA. Where are the hops?! I taste none... If it is 90 degrees out, this beer would work. Any other time though, not at all. Quite possible the worst IPA I have ever had. Another doozy from Jacob Leinenkugel.

This beer was nothing like a Helles. It was too bitter in a bad kind of way; almost sour. It seemed to be lacking any caramel malt character. It had a metallic taste. It was thin. It poured with no head.

This beer just completely missed the mark. I suppose if they called it a hoppy, American pale lager it would make some sense. But even then it would not be good.

2.2/5  rDev -30.6%

Hoppin' Helles is probably the most disappointing Leinenkugel effort I've experienced thus far. It bears that same sort of grassiness that I didn't like about Guinness's Harp Lager and that same kind of bitterness I find prevalent in many domestic beers. Not to mention, I always categorized Leinenkugel for its flavors, be them lemon, orange, lemon berry, or simply just refreshing and rather intoxicating hops, but Hoppin' Helles overdoes it to the point where the flavor is more of a nuisance than a presence. Definitely the weakest of Leinenkugel's otherwise surprisingly good line of beers.

2.32/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I was somewhat optimistic to try this but once again am let down by a Leinie offering (not counting Big Eddy). I actually thought Canoe Paddler was alright but this one is not something I would recommend.

Lacks any real Helles like maltiness, breadiness, etc....maybe you could push it into a Euro Lager category....

Hops? Was hoping for a big impression...nothing of the sort....maybe a little of lemony hoppiness shines through at times but not a strong hop presence.

So what do we have here....a decent beer....drinkable when compared to Macro Lagers but nothing to get excited about. It sounded promising. It is just OK.

Scores are for the category not as a beer. It's not horrible or anything but when put in the Helles Lager category...sorry it does not measure close to average.

2.43/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I've been a fan of Leinie's forever. I do stay away from its flavored beers (with the exception of the Summer Shandy, which is good enough to swill), since I rarely like any brewery's flavored beers, and I especially like the original and the Sunset Wheat. But the Hoppin' Helles was pretty terrible. Maybe I had a bad six-pack, but the beer managed to blend together everything I dislike in palish beers. The Hoppin' Helles, first of all, has very little hops to it, but it somehow managed to capture the bitterness of hops but minus the tang that I like. To my tongue, it has a skunkiness of a Kolsch-style lager but without the complexity. And finally, it's rather bland like an American-style lager but somehow lacks the crispness and lightness that makes American lagers so drinkable. I forced the six-pack down and won't buy it again.

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%

From notes on 8/31/2013

Ok beer. A very macro beer feel. Not much hop flavor. Not that complex. Works well with pizza since it doesn’t take away from the flavor of the food. Probably won’t buy again unless I’m in some backwoods Wisconsin bar that only carrys Leinies as their craft beer (happens often).

2.51/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Best before: Dec 09 13. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with a bright green label and a branded twist-off pressure cap acquired at Whole Foods HQ and served into a Spaten stangenglas in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery. No ABV is listed on the label.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a three finger wide white colour head. Fairly thin. Lacks creaminess and frothiness. Kind of weak-looking. Poor consistency and complexion. Webby spotty inconsistenct lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow-copper of average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks like a pretty standard unremarkable helles. Not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws. I'm not all that excited to try it, but I'm optimistic. Leinenkugel's has surprised me before.

Sm: Floral hopping comes on a bit strong considering it's a helles. It doesn't seem traditional. Honey. Pilsner malts. Plenty of malty sweetness for the style. Sticky and nectary. Buttery. Kind of grassy. Has a bit of caramalt. There's some graininess. On the sweeter end. As atypical as the fairly aggressive hopping is for the style, I like how it comes off here. I just hope it delivers in the flavour profile as well.

No yeast character, spices, or alcohol is detectable. A clean pleasant aroma of average strength. Not unique or special. No off-notes are detectable.

If you handed it to me blind I'd know it wasn't a traditional example of the style, but the aroma isn't a bad one per se. Has macrolager leanings.

T: Nectary. Honey. Plenty of malty sweetness here - too much. Pils malts. Munich malts. Some caramalt. Quite clean. Floral hop character is a but too abundant for the style, but it helps overcome the macro-like graininess present throughout. A bit grassy. Has some artificial lemon. Has just a touch of that German breadiness present in good traditional examples of the style. I do pick up hints of adjunct and malt extract.

No yeast character, spices, or alcohol come through.

A very simple take on the helles lager style. Shallow depth of flavour. Low duration of flavour; it's quite brief on the palate. One-dimensional. Lacks nuance, intricacy, subtlety, adn complexity. Average intensity of flavour. A pretty underwhelming build. Not gestalt, but generally cohesive. Okay balance. It's just artificial across the board, which really holds it back.

Mf: Sticky, smooth, wet, light, thin, unrefreshing, a biteen syrupy from the artificial malts/extract, and weak. Poor body. Suits the flavour profile okay. It isn't overcarbonated, which is surprising.

Not oily, astringent, harsh, gushed, boozy, hot, or rough.

Dr: Another mediocre brew from Leinenkugel's. Hopefully this will start more consumers down the path to craft/micro beer. I certainly wouldn't get it again or recommend it to friends. By no means a good beer in the style. Is it drinkable? Sure. But it'd get sickening after a few bottles. I can only handle so much artificial crap before I have to switch to something else. At least most macro adjunct lagers are watery and arguably refreshing.

D+

---
12.31.14: Brief impressions:

Pours a healthy white head which takes up 90% of the glass but recedes fully within 4-5 minutes. Body is a clear yellow. Not as weak looking as I expected.

Aroma isn't as grain-dominant as it should be given this is a helles lager, but the floral hopping is nice - though not at all to style. Fragrant and inviting, if simplistic.

Has a syrupy stick texture and a painfully simple taste, neither of which fit the style. Taste evokes malt extract and cheap malt syrup, with some generic floral hopping sprucing it up a bit. Middling balance; underwhelming build.

Certainly drinkable, but ultimately a cheap tasting macro helles lager with nothing to offer the discerning drinker. Better than I remembered it.

Low C-

2.69/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Saw the billboard for this beer and decided to give it a try, not sure what I was expecting, but it was a let down. I started on German bier, but have switched to an IPA preference as of late, but still love my roots. So a Munich Helles with an accented hop presence sounded like a winner.

App- has the clear yellow look of a helles, thinner than standard head when poured into glass, readily visible carbonation.
Aroma- Not much going on here.
Mouthfeel- Thin but appropriate for the style.
Taste-A hint of the promised hops, but just enough to be noticed, overall impression is that the malt is the dominant profile, and on of the macro variety. Not pleased, not a bad macro lager, but not what I was sold by the hoppin helles label.
Overall- Not by any means a bad beer, but not by any means what the marketing claims. A decent American lager, but doesn't live up to the billing. I think Leinie's tried to cash in on the hops craze but wound up disappointing here.

2.87/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a tumbler.

Just because I arrived late to an impromptu game night doesn't mean I can't enjoy a new beer or two, right? This one pours a clear sunrise brass topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises light white bread, very light hard water, mild grass, and a touch of pine needle. The taste brings in more of the same, the now-flowery hops barely standing out against a bland, slightly-bready backdrop. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, an okay "hoppy helles" at best, something that just kinda sits on my tongue without doing anything but wetting it. It's not bad, just not good...or anything, really. I nothing this beer...

2.94/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured 12oz bottle (best by 2/2014) into imperial pint glass with a big 2 in fluffy white head, clear light golden, left some good lacing on the glass

Aroma had some barely noticeable hops but it almost reminded me of an AAL

Taste - biscuit, malty, some honey, slight hops

Mouthfeel - light body, stronger carb, smooth drinking

Overall - It was ok, something I picked up in the Leine's sampler, and would probably not purchase this in a sixer.

Looks like this is now renamed "Helles Yeah". OK. Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.

Not terrible. But I agree it's a very macro feel. On the other hand, it's a very light, crisp lager, and I'm wondering if I'm not just biased to the style because it reminds me of so many American "light beers". Underwhelming, to be sure, but it's not a terrible tasting beer. If you're in the mood for something very light, this will fit the bill, but it's not going to turn heads.

This is a tough one. PLEASE READ FULL REVIEW! I thought this was going to be a "HOPPY" beer, but it is not. I always say take things into perspective and having said that, I'd say this is a very worthy beer of a session but miles and miles short of the hoppy Eutopia you might be inclined to believe from the name.

To the nose I only picked up some malt, but it certainly isn't unpleasant but rather unfulfilling. The mouth-feel is...oaky... but as I said, if you're looking for a "hoppy" PA or IPA it will be disappointing. The only thing that saves this beer from an F is in-fact that it is claimed to be a "lager". If you judge this beer as and American Adjunct Lager", then it is quite good. However, Leinenkugal claims this brew to be of hoppy origin, hence the name which is a mistake. The mouth feel is fine and I don't mean FINE. It is what it is. If I could rate this as an American Adjunct, well then this would get some really nice marks, however Leinenkugal is claiming a hoppy complex "specialty" and this beer is far from. If it's cheap enough and you need some relief, this is a good sessional brew...PLEASE DO NOT OVERPAY

poured into standard pint glass, color is transparent gold, head is bright white; head presents thin about 1/4 inch thick then dissipates to a ring and some lacing.

Aroma is pretty fresh, somewhat hoppy, hops are grassy some citrus; malt and grains are noticeable in the aroma but not specific in smell.

Taste is less appealing than the aroma, more grainy and sharp bitterness, not pleasant and out of style; grains are a bit harsh and not flavorful, hops are bitter, a bit grassy and somewhat flavorful, bringing this beer back around some.

Mouthfeel is sharp, high carbonation and sharp bitterness hits the tongue and lingers.

Overall, a decent beer, slightly out of style and harsh on the finer edges of this style.

3.04/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

poured 12oz bottle into shaker pint.

A - Light and clear apple juice color with a bit 3 finger white head. Decent retention and no lacing.

S - Not much of an aroma. Everything is light, light malt, light floral hops, light grain.

T - Grains, bread, sweetness, and very mild earthy and floral hops. Not much else.

M - Light, watery, smooth and good carbonation.

O - It's not that it is bad, but in true Leine's fashion it is boring and lacking any real aroma or flavor. Picked it up because I was intrigued by the style I have yet to have. I'll find a better example.

3.04/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a snifter from a bottle. Golden honey, white frothy head, sticky heavy lacing that faded at the top of the glass.

Grassy on the nose, a hint of hops and malt. Very little much of anything else.

Dry, slightly bitter on the tongue up front, vegetable and grassy. Very low carbonation. A hint of hops and malts...very bland.

I'm a fan of Leinenkugel but not very fond of this beer. It's not terrible and it's very easy to drink but with so many good hoppy beers out there this just won't do. It really reminds me of a soured Miller Lite? On a hot summer day after mowing the grass I could slam a few of these but that's about all. I won't be buying again.

3.04/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I picked this up at Wegman's poured chilled in a mug

The color is very pale golden with very gentle haziness and thick head of 3 fingersfrom a vigorous pour, the bead is average and retention is good. The smell has a noble hop scent, faint as it is but it provides a slight lemon zest odor with cereal type sweet malt accent. The feel is kind of bitter, but mostly sweet with moderately high carbonation and mildly metallic with a semi-dry finish.

The taste is sort of sweet but perhaps lightly buttery as if it has some diacetyl in there but not really corny it does have a slight tinge of hops in the flavor but a little overboard in the marketing considering I would expect hop flavor to dominate given the name. The taste fizzles when it increases in temp leaving more of a sweetish flavor lingering. Overall I would not buy this again...probably not buy any Leinenkugel beer for that matter since I did not like the last two I purchased and was kind of on the fence before that.

3.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance - Medium light yellow. Clear. Medium tall, foamy, white head. Decently persistent.

Smell - Light pale malt. Sweet and grainy, bready. A little corn. A little citrusy hops.

Taste - Sweet pale malt. Bread and corn. Finishes with a little grapefruit. I'm no pro at spoitting Munich Helles, but this seems a little sweet for the style.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp.

Overall - More than I was expecting from Leine's. While not the best of style, appears to be a reasonable attempt.

3.06/5  rDev -3.5%

A decent Helles, especially if you're not a huge fan of dark, heavy beer.

3.1/5  rDev -2.2%

They're trying, I get it, and I love the concept. I don't pick up on the "hop forward" claim on the label, as this is an ok helles lager that has a slight waft of hops more than a standard beer in the style. I appreciate the 12'er gift I got from my neighbor, and there isn't much to complain about with this beer, it's just kind of...average. I had high hopes that Leinie's was going to try to get away from their usual modus operandi, but this beer isn't it.

3.1/5  rDev -2.2%

Used to Love Leinenkugel Beer... Then they became popular in the Midwest.. And then they released Summer Shandy.. Now, I don't really love them so much.. This effort of an (IPA) or maybe and ASPCA??? It's just a half hearted effort... And it is a bit sad, because their Oktoberfest is special. .. Sunset Wheat.. Awesome.. Hoppin' Helles.. more like Hopping Toad.. Jake you still rock, but please don't turn into an adjunct swill tender... For all that is pure and perfect.. revisit Great-granddad's (or older) recipes and kick some ass, like the Wisconsin Badgers can do ... on occasion...
Definitely NOT impressed with this entry, my cousin to the North...
~Carry on Citizens!!!~
sMc

3.1/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a amber color with tons of small carbonation bubbles seen streaming up through the brew. Upon pouring there is a two finger foamy white head. The head has a decent level of retention, holding on for about 2 or 3 min before fading to leave some light foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is heaviest of a musty and stale grain smell mixed with some aromas of corn and a bit of a papery smell. Mixed with these, are some lighter notes of a grassy smell producing a rather adjunct like aroma overall.

Taste – The taste begins with a smooth bready flavor with a light caramel sweetness. There is a little bit of a grassy taste upfront which grows stronger as the flavor advances on to the end. Along with the grass, some other flavors of an earthy and floral nature come to the tongue with the caramel fading ever so slightly, in the end, leaving a rather crisp taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the medium to possibly slightly more creamy side with a carbonation level that on the slightly higher side. Overall it was a rather appropriate feel and was nice for the crisp taste and easy drinking flavors of the brew.

Overall – An easy drinker. Nothing exceptional, but nothing off putting either. Overall alright.

3.11/5  rDev -1.9%

I got a bottle of LeinenKugel's Hoppin' Helles that was in their summer variety pack that i got for $12.99 at Meijers. It's been a little warm lately and I've been drinking a couple different Helles Lagers and I though I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it pretty much just their typical label with a couple hop cones on it. It pouted a very clear golden yellow color that took on some darker gold and orange colors when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This is a nice looking Helles Lager, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart some sweet, bready, and grainy aromas with a slight skunky aroma in the background. Up next comes the hops that impart a nice spicy and earthy hop aroma that helps balance out some of the malts. The aroma was decent, it had nice balance, but I could have gone with out the skunky aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by some grainy, bready, sweet, and biscuit like malts. Up next comes the hops which impart a nice 50/50 split of earthy and spicy hops flavors. On the finish there's a light amount of bitterness with even more sweetness with a sweet, bready, and earthy hop aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, the hop profile was nice, but the malts seemed way too sweet for the style.

M- Fairly smooth, a little cloying, not filling,, not that crisp, on the fuller side of being light bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok and it didn't really help out the beer that much.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought that it was very average example of the style, the hop profile was pretty much spot on for the style and it wasn't overpowering, but the super sweet malts really hurt this beer in the long run. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling, the flavors kind of held my attention, but the sweetness was just way too high and that would prevent me from having more than one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness, this was the sweetest Helles Lager I have ever had and it just seemed out of place for the the style. I wouldn't buy this beer again on it's own and I don't think I'll be getting another one of Leinenkugels summer variety pack, the beer was a little off for the style and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. All in all this beer was a let down, I didn't have the highest hopes going into this beer, I thought it would be solid. but the high amount of sweetness really prevented from being as good as it could be. Better luck next time guys. So far this is one of my least favorite Helles Lager.

3.12/5  rDev -1.6%

They ruined what might have been a pretty good Munich Helles.

Pours out to a nice golden color, brilliantly clear and a decent head with moderate lacing. Aroma is definitely hoppier than a true helles, with cat pee, pine, mint, dill and citrus and other American aromas. Flavor is a nice crisp lager that is overpowered by the trendy hop mania. Mouthfeel is good. Overall, this is offending me as I would like a good helles, not a jacked up trendy brew.

3.14/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Sparking honey yellow with big fluffy 1" head that last and last. Tons of carbonation making the beer sparkle. Smell is fresh hops and grain. Taste is light sweetness of honey with malt, and a subtle hop flavor. Very refreshing. Light mouthfeel that has a very clean feeling.

Overall not a bad beer. Love that Leinenkugels is bringing some new beers to the party. I probably wouldn't seek this one out, but I also wouldn't turn one down. My suggestion is give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.

3.14/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a "Leinenkugel's Autumn Variety 12-pack" that I bought back on 8/1/13 when they just put them on the shelf 10 minutes before I came in. Sampled 8/22/13 in a pilsner glass and chilled to 36 degrees in my beer cooler. They didn't list have the alcohol content on the bottle or on the package. I am guessing around 5%. Pours a golden yellow in color with close to a 2-finger white head that doesn't last too long. Not much lacing is seen. The aroma is just some sweet malts. That's about it. The taste was pretty much the same with some hops. I thought it would be much more 'hoppy' that it was. Overall it was ok.

Hoppin' Helles from Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company