Hoppin' Helles - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Hoppin' HellesHoppin' Helles

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 08-17-2013)
3.85/5  rDev +21.1%

Bought a case of this on off the sale rack for 15 bucks. Had been wanting to try it but never got around to it until I saw an offer I could not refuse so I rolled the dice. Overall I give leiny credit on this one. It is a helles lager, biscuityalty malty sweet goodness with a overdose of hops for the style...FOR THE STYLE.. Do not expect an dipa, ipa, apa... Or any kind of...a. But it is a good departure for those who like malty beers but let curiosity get the best of them and buy a beer with hop in the name. Maybe this will be my gateway to hoppier beers?

Uniobrew31, Dec 08, 2013

JimGlonke, Dec 02, 2013

Walletsworth, Dec 02, 2013
3.33/5  rDev +4.7%

12oz bottle, date stamped JAN 06 14
A - golden body topped with a persistent creamy eggshell colored head
S - grassy aroma with biscuity grain, faintly nutty and toasty
T - hop forward as the label indicates with grassy hops, toasty grain, honey, citric lemon, faint mint and white pepper
M - thinner body, sharp and semi-bitter finish
O - I don't know what to say. I know this was not intended to be a true to style helles lager. It wasn't IPA hoppy but definitely hoppier than your standard German brewed Helles lager. With that said, I did enjoy this one as it had some nice American hop characteristics. Style guidelines are definitely disappearing in the US. Not sure what to think of that. Read BA magazine issues 81 & 82. The Bros touch on this topic...

barnzy78, Dec 01, 2013
4.34/5  rDev +36.5%

It was during my first visit to Wisco, specifically, Mad City, to visit my Navy buddy, Hoos Warner, that I was exposed to Leinie. I love their beers and now thanks to their improved accessibility, I am drinking them at Chez Woody in Lancaster, PA.

From the bottle: "Hop-forward Helles-style beer brewed with five American hops."; "Brewed With Pride by the Leinenkugel family since 1867."; "The Pride of Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867."; "Carefully Brewed by the Leinenkugel Family for Five Generations".

I do not know how to precisely quantify this, but upon removing the cap, it smelled like beer! My excitedly aggro pour created two fingers of puffy, bone white head that resembled to top of a vanilla ice cream cone. The nose was both grassy from the hops and biscuity from the malt and it put me in mind of some of my earliest beer drinking. Color was a gorgeous golden-yellow (SRM = 4) with NE-quality clarity. The unholy trio of Mammon, King Midas and Croesus were suddenly in front of me, clamoring for a sip, but that privilege was mine, all mine! Mouthfeel was soft and it makes me wonder about their water in Wisco. Their beers all have that same softness, which I really like. It makes for great "drinkability" and I wish that they would put more of the Leinie line in CANs. The taste was grassy, minty, definitely hoppy, but not confrontationally hopped. This was more like maintenance drinking for this self-avowed hophead. Finish was semi-dry and very satisfying. What a great recent find in one of my local bottle shops!

woodychandler, Nov 30, 2013

jeiiVP, Nov 30, 2013
3.18/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle from the winter mix pack pours a clear, light gold color with a thin white head. Poor retention and no lace.

Nose is light graininess with some floral hop presence. Not that I expected a hop bomb here, but thought the hops would at least be on an even plane with the malt. Not too bad overall though, fresh and clean with a little lager yeast sulfur.

Malts and hops can generously be described as light. It is clean at least...just not a whole lot there. The hop blend seems like it would be pretty decent if you used more...a lot more. Meh, certainly wouldn't go looking for, but I won't have much problem finishing the 3 bottles in the pack.

twiggamortis420, Nov 29, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -21.4%

falconxman, Nov 29, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

beerbrains, Nov 29, 2013

tommy5, Nov 28, 2013

This is a tough one. PLEASE READ FULL REVIEW! I thought this was going to be a "HOPPY" beer, but it is not. I always say take things into perspective and having said that, I'd say this is a very worthy beer of a session but miles and miles short of the hoppy Eutopia you might be inclined to believe from the name.

To the nose I only picked up some malt, but it certainly isn't unpleasant but rather unfulfilling. The mouth-feel is...oaky... but as I said, if you're looking for a "hoppy" PA or IPA it will be disappointing. The only thing that saves this beer from an F is in-fact that it is claimed to be a "lager". If you judge this beer as and American Adjunct Lager", then it is quite good. However, Leinenkugal claims this brew to be of hoppy origin, hence the name which is a mistake. The mouth feel is fine and I don't mean FINE. It is what it is. If I could rate this as an American Adjunct, well then this would get some really nice marks, however Leinenkugal is claiming a hoppy complex "specialty" and this beer is far from. If it's cheap enough and you need some relief, this is a good sessional brew...PLEASE DO NOT OVERPAY

Khad, Nov 28, 2013