2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hoppin' Helles - Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Hoppin' HellesHoppin' Helles

pDev: 15%

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 08-17-2013)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 316 | Reviews: 57 | Show All Ratings:
MDT187

2.4/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I've been a fan of Leinie's forever. I do stay away from its flavored beers (with the exception of the Summer Shandy, which is good enough to swill), since I rarely like any brewery's flavored beers, and I especially like the original and the Sunset Wheat. But the Hoppin' Helles was pretty terrible. Maybe I had a bad six-pack, but the beer managed to blend together everything I dislike in palish beers. The Hoppin' Helles, first of all, has very little hops to it, but it somehow managed to capture the bitterness of hops but minus the tang that I like. To my tongue, it has a skunkiness of a Kolsch-style lager but without the complexity. And finally, it's rather bland like an American-style lager but somehow lacks the crispness and lightness that makes American lagers so drinkable. I forced the six-pack down and won't buy it again.

09-02-2013 23:17:08 | More by MDT187
budgood1

3.15/5  rDev -1.6%

pours out a brilliant gold colour. very active carbonation producing a moderate ivory head. decent lace. looks the part. semi-sweet bready aroma with some too faint spicy and herbal hop aroma. the flavour department is a mish mash of some well attentuated, but faintly sweet sourdough like malts, strangely accented by a weird mix up of herbal, grassy and slightly spicy hop bill. not bad, but odd. there is a noticeable bitterness in the back end too, so the end result leaves me with the belief that leinies actually did throw a fair amount of hops into this brew, although they come off as strained and not well placed. medium bodied, with a slightly prickly mouthfeel due to the coarse hopping. drinkability is ok...

so this new concoction is an american interpretation of a german style using all american ingredients...or at least hops. it misses the mark on most counts, but still brings some attitude. a typical leinies brew....but yet a bit more....i really can't recommend it , but yet i can't say i wouldn't ever drink this again.

09-01-2013 22:09:15 | More by budgood1
Ri0

Wisconsin

3.06/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

poured 12oz bottle into shaker pint.

A - Light and clear apple juice color with a bit 3 finger white head. Decent retention and no lacing.

S - Not much of an aroma. Everything is light, light malt, light floral hops, light grain.

T - Grains, bread, sweetness, and very mild earthy and floral hops. Not much else.

M - Light, watery, smooth and good carbonation.

O - It's not that it is bad, but in true Leine's fashion it is boring and lacking any real aroma or flavor. Picked it up because I was intrigued by the style I have yet to have. I'll find a better example.

09-01-2013 18:51:17 | More by Ri0
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.35/5  rDev +4.7%

I find myself liking some aspects of this beer, and annoyed with others. There definitely are some elements that convey "maibock" to me:
- the color looks the part, gold with a fluffy white head. the head thins out pretty quickly.
-the malt is balanced somewhat towards sweetness, as might be expected in a bock, but with sufficient bitterness.

Unfortunately, the malty sweetness seems to float on the surface of a fairly basic American lager, possibly with 6-row graininess? I couldn't confirm that for a fact, as Leinie's website does not expound upon the malts used, other than they are pale, but the impressions of a merely sweetened (crystal malt?) American lager cannot be dismissed - there is something not quite right here. No strong malt aromas.

The alcohol level is below maibock strength, which I don't necessarily mind, but if you are going to lowball the gravity, the quality of the malt becomes more important, IMO. Also, the beer comes across as a little thin.

What about the hops? Obviously, this beer is trying to express more hop character than a traditional maibock, and American hop character to boot! I love me some Hallertau hops, but I also like citrusy American hops. In another hoppy maibock, I liked the American hops, and I don't hate them here. The beer is susrprisingly lacking on hop aroma, but they do come through in the taste. But check your expectations at the door, IPA fans.

I do seem to get a bit of a baking soda aftertaste in this beer - weird.

If I were given the choice of this or a regular Leinies, I'd go with this. If I were give a choice between this and several other maibocks, including the New Belgium Hoppy Bock and many other Wisconsin Maibocks, inlcuding Point's , Capitol, and New Glarus, I would not be choosing the Leinie's.

08-31-2013 21:26:29 | More by pweis909
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.13/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a "Leinenkugel's Autumn Variety 12-pack" that I bought back on 8/1/13 when they just put them on the shelf 10 minutes before I came in. Sampled 8/22/13 in a pilsner glass and chilled to 36 degrees in my beer cooler. They didn't list have the alcohol content on the bottle or on the package. I am guessing around 5%. Pours a golden yellow in color with close to a 2-finger white head that doesn't last too long. Not much lacing is seen. The aroma is just some sweet malts. That's about it. The taste was pretty much the same with some hops. I thought it would be much more 'hoppy' that it was. Overall it was ok.

08-29-2013 20:13:30 | More by BeerWithMike
ZAP

2.31/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I was somewhat optimistic to try this but once again am let down by a Leinie offering (not counting Big Eddy). I actually thought Canoe Paddler was alright but this one is not something I would recommend.

Lacks any real Helles like maltiness, breadiness, etc....maybe you could push it into a Euro Lager category....

Hops? Was hoping for a big impression...nothing of the sort....maybe a little of lemony hoppiness shines through at times but not a strong hop presence.

So what do we have here....a decent beer....drinkable when compared to Macro Lagers but nothing to get excited about. It sounded promising. It is just OK.

Scores are for the category not as a beer. It's not horrible or anything but when put in the Helles Lager category...sorry it does not measure close to average.

08-29-2013 04:55:05 | More by ZAP
StoutHunter

3.09/5  rDev -3.4%

I got a bottle of LeinenKugel's Hoppin' Helles that was in their summer variety pack that i got for $12.99 at Meijers. It's been a little warm lately and I've been drinking a couple different Helles Lagers and I though I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it pretty much just their typical label with a couple hop cones on it. It pouted a very clear golden yellow color that took on some darker gold and orange colors when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This is a nice looking Helles Lager, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart some sweet, bready, and grainy aromas with a slight skunky aroma in the background. Up next comes the hops that impart a nice spicy and earthy hop aroma that helps balance out some of the malts. The aroma was decent, it had nice balance, but I could have gone with out the skunky aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by some grainy, bready, sweet, and biscuit like malts. Up next comes the hops which impart a nice 50/50 split of earthy and spicy hops flavors. On the finish there's a light amount of bitterness with even more sweetness with a sweet, bready, and earthy hop aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, the hop profile was nice, but the malts seemed way too sweet for the style.

M- Fairly smooth, a little cloying, not filling,, not that crisp, on the fuller side of being light bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was just ok and it didn't really help out the beer that much.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought that it was very average example of the style, the hop profile was pretty much spot on for the style and it wasn't overpowering, but the super sweet malts really hurt this beer in the long run. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth and not filling, the flavors kind of held my attention, but the sweetness was just way too high and that would prevent me from having more than one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness, this was the sweetest Helles Lager I have ever had and it just seemed out of place for the the style. I wouldn't buy this beer again on it's own and I don't think I'll be getting another one of Leinenkugels summer variety pack, the beer was a little off for the style and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. All in all this beer was a let down, I didn't have the highest hopes going into this beer, I thought it would be solid. but the high amount of sweetness really prevented from being as good as it could be. Better luck next time guys. So far this is one of my least favorite Helles Lager.

08-17-2013 21:58:33 | More by StoutHunter