Alley Kat Amber - Alley Kat Brewing Company

Alley Kat Brewing Company visit their website
Alberta, Canada

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-29-2003

Alley Kat Amber, is our version of the original London-style Brown Ale. Amber pours a nice reddish hue and accompanied with a nose of caramel malts and floral hops. Golding hops are used in this brown ale to give it that light floral hoppiness and slight bitterness.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a bottle into a heavy beer glass at my house, and enjoyed while cooking some t-bones on the grill...

Poured at a deep copper with flashes of dark gold. Perfect one-inch tan cinnamon head with a respectable density. Disintegrated after a couple of minutes leaving some light lacing on the glass.

Scent... wow! An airy lightness, some mild malts, and apricots! A refreshing fruit aroma floats over everything. The mouthfeel is exceptional. A pleasing viscosity that I can only describe as silky, with a lively and sparse carbonation.

Taste... the rubber hits the road. I was just not expecting this. Medium darkness of malts gives way to toffee, coffee and caramel. A pleasing complexity with every sip, giving way to shifting flavors as the beer slowly warms. My only complaint is a slight lack of body in the finish, but no worry. As the beer warms up I even get a hint of cinnamon.

This thing flows down. I finish it off, enjoying the world and vowing not to wait long before I take a tour of the Alley-Kay brewery and shake the hand of the brewmaster.

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Pours a ruddy caramel colour with a centimeter of creamy tan head. Smell is a battle of malt and hops, with definite roasted malt edging out the citrus hop aroma. A very smellable beer.

The first mouthfull is smooth and flavourful. The roasted malt isn't as prevalent as it was in the aroma, but it is there in the finish. A bit of burnt toffee type flavour for sweetness, then a hit of lemon lime and a bitter, roasted finish. Not a strong bitterness, but enough to make a well balanced beer.

This is an easy drinking, smooth feeling beer. Highly recommended, and a favorite session beer of mine. Goes great after a golf game in the hot sun.

3.94/5  rDev +2.9%

It pours a lovely clear caramel brown with red highlights. Very little head sits on top, and what little there is disappears almost immediately.

Caramel, grassy hops, and.... celery? Yes, celery. Interesting aromas rise up from the glass. Malty rich flavour with toasty highlights with a sweetness cut short by a decent bitter finish. Smooth and oily in the finish, with an herbal hops finish.

Honestly, it's a really odd beer. However, I'm an Alley Kat fanboy, and this reinforces my fanboydom. Try it if you can get it.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Finally available outside of Edmonton! This is a rich-looking amber ale. Deep hues of red mix with a rosewood brown, and more cola-brown near the edges. The tiniest glance of dark-orange. The head was more than ample, 6-7 cm, lightish brown on the edge and more bone-white in the centre. In my glass, the head went down rather quickly to a bare minimum, but my glass was a little wet with water, which could explain its short life. Lacing that leaves rings of foam, moves slowly, and leaves clinging patches, or even screens of light head. With the cap twisted off, the first aroma I detected was a faint herbal spiciness, which I was not really expecting. In the glass I get extremely strong pumpkin smells; a definite spice that lingered throughout the whole drink. Roasted malt behind that, a difficult-to-define creaminess akin to Alley Kat's Aprikat Ale. With the beer freshly poured, and the head full, the creamy, almost buttery, candied malt is much more detectable.
Never a brewery to disappoint on hops, the Amber does have some oily grassy aroma up front, no doubt the cause of the pumpkin I can smell so much in this beer. I taste at first the smooth chocolate-like malt, reminding me of Wild Rose's Brown Ale. The taste was not quite what I expected for an Amber ale; instead of a good sweet malt hit, I get more of this herbal/pumpkin hop taste, sharing some characteristics with the Full Moon Pale Ale. The malt is in the background. This is a very tasty beer, I just think it is a misfit for the style; and personally for me, a malthead, this is far too hoppy, to the exclusion of some underdefined malt which this beer could have had. That being said, the finish is actually not half as dry as I was expecting, but more lactose and bread. The beer is a little watery in the mouth; again, some more malt might give this beer more body. Apart from the hops, for me, this is a very drinkable amber ale, leaving little aftertaste and being light in body. The carbonation is medium. With the hops toned down a little, this would be an extremely good amber ale, and one which I would purchase frequently.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this at Smokeless Joe's, the only Ontario place with Alley Kats. A brown colour and tradition to it. Reminded me of Hebrew, with a roasted taste. A bit of bitterness, and grass hops with some malt and molasses. Mixed reception by my mates. More experienced drinkers thought it was better than average, and similarly for less experienced drinkers.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

To think that such a fine ale has been brewed in Alberta for years and I hadn't managed to get my grubby mitts on it until now. Oh the humanity...

Pours out a stunning cherry oak copper hue, capped by a small thickish beige head which recedes fairly quickly to a ring and leaves slight lacing. Aroma of rich malt, caramel and faint grassy hops. Flavour is thick malt up front, highlighted with mild toasted and coffee tones, and then becomes a runaway of hops on the finish, a very pleasing transition. Full mouthfeel at the beginning which follows through the whole way but becomes a little oily on the finish. I think I've fallen in love all over again, this is a very fine ale, I'll need to stock up the next time I am in Edmonton. Pun intended, this stuff is the kat's ass, my new favorite from Alley Kat after their Full Moon Pale Ale.

4.32/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours the colour of well-steeped tea, with a thin, but creamy head. The aroma is of molasses, with a hint of caramel...delightful. The predominant flavour here is wonderfully malty with hints of caramel on the finish. Some hops show up to clean up any lingering sweetness, leaving your palette ready for another delicious taste. The mouthfeel is creamy & coating with restrained, but sufficient carbonation.
This is yet another prodigious offering from the Alley Kat brewing company. The balance of malt vs. hops combine splendidly to make this a top-drawer beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last